Time For Tea

Boyfriend in...Wonderland?

The air was colder here than on the other path and fog hung low on the ground. Luckily the coat I took from Hyunseong’s closet was thick so the temperature didn’t affect me too much. The edges of the trees joined over my head to form a canopy and the only sounds were my feet on the path and the occasional chirp of a bird, or some other weird creature. I was determined to find the Hatter and get help from them but at this rate it felt like I had been walking in circles for the past hour. I had kept an eye out for anyone but so far I was the only person walking the path.

 

“At this rate it’ll be Christmas before I get home!” I yelled aloud in frustration. “I said I wanted some excitement in my life, not a useless scavenger hunt for a bloody mushroom!” At my words a small snicker sounded throughout the trees. Don’t tell me this is another ert like Jeongmin. I turned around quickly with a bored look on my face, I was starting to believe that nothing would surprise me now.

“From the sound of it, you’re lost.” A mischievous voice said from behind me. I jumped in surprise and let out a small squeak before stumbling backwards. A pair of hands caught my shoulders and I looked up and met eyes with yet another boy. He had a childish glint in his eyes and a wide smile was plastered on his face, revealing a set of perfect white teeth. I felt my face heat up and I quickly righted myself before facing the boy curiously.

“Uh, yes I’m a little lost. Could you help me?” I asked carefully while eyeing him with caution. He simply chuckled and disappeared into thin air. Wait, disappeared?  How was that even possible?! I spun around trying to spot him again but he was nowhere to be seen.

“Up here.” The boy’s voice came from above and I stepped back to see him sitting casually on a tree branch. How in the world did he get up there?!

“How did you do that?” I asked in awe, now I know I said nothing could surprise me here but this was just amazing. Or, was it just a trick?

“Magic.” He smiled widely again and looked down at me in amusement. I was wasting time asking silly questions, I had to get to that palace.

“Anyway, do you know how to get to the Red Palace?”

“You’re just as bold as the Hatter said.” The boys laughed at my words and hopped down from the tree before floating around in circles. Oh, so now he can float! Wait, the Hatter person! He must know the Hatter so I could get him to take me to them.

“You know the Hatter, right? I need you to take me to them right away. Please.” I asked while spinning in slow circles to keep my eyes locked on his.

“Hmmm, I guess I could take you to him. Thought I must warn you my services come at a cost.” He added tiredly while finally setting his feet on the ground. Oh god, don’t tell me he’s like Jeongmin.

“What cost?”

“Don’t worry, I don’t ask for payment up front.” He had a strange glint in his eye that I couldn’t quite put my finger on but I knew I didn’t quite like it. Was it really worth trusting him to take me to some person I had never met?

“Well, are you coming?” The boy was already standing a few metres away waiting for me, the smile stretched out on his lips. ‘Well, I can always run off if he starts acting weird.’ I ran over and walked beside him.

“By the way, what’s your name?” If he really were going to me to the Hatter, I should at least know his name.

“Minwoo,” He gave me a bright smile and I couldn’t help but smile back. “And you’re Taekyung.” Jeongmin was right, everyone here did know my name.

 

 

Minwoo and I walked for half an hour or so in silence. The trees had grown out more and the sky was becoming more and more visible. The path ran through the centre of two large hills and the grass grew exceptionally tall. Minwoo took a leisurely pace and kept his eyes forward. I was beginning to wonder how long it would exactly take to get to the Hatter but soon a large windmill came into view on the horizon.

“Is the Hatter at that windmill?” I asked Minwoo, starting to get nervous at the thought of it. It seemed the Hatter was quite famous here so I had to make sure not to say anything that might offend them.

“Yep, we should be there in a few minutes.” Minwoo gave me his signature smile and quickened his pace. I had to jog to keep up with him and soon we had climbed to the top of a small hill and the windmill loomed over us. Now that I was closer I saw that the windmill was very old and the spokes were bent at wrong angles.

 

Moving my eyes down again I saw a long table, covered in white cloth, stretching out in front of Minwoo and I. The table was cluttered with tea pots and cups of all sorts and sizes, and a few large books lay strewn over the table top. A few mismatching chairs were placed at both sides of the table, but one large ornate chair sat at the head of the table and a person was sitting hunched over with their head resting on the table top. So, was this the Hatter?

“Donghyun, wake up!” Minwoo had started walking down the long table and had taken a seat on the right of the Hatter before flicking him on the forehead.

“What time is it?” The Hatter had woken up and was rubbing his eyes before taking a sip from a red teacup.

“Twelve-thirty. Time for tea?” Minwoo had picked up a teacup and was twirling it around on his finger. The Hatter had finally noticed my presence and was staring curiously at me. His hair was a shocking shade of red and he was exceptionally handsome. His clothing was an odd mixture of old and new and he wore a black top hat that featured various pins and patterns. I had never come across someone like him but he was quite the sight to behold. I had always been told it was rude to stare but I couldn’t seem to tear my eyes away from him.

“So, you must be Taekyung. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” The Hatter had stood up and was holding a chair back for me to sit on. ‘Well, at least he’s a gentleman unlike Jeongmin.’ I thought thankfully while walking down the long table.

“So, you’re the Hatter? You seem quite famous here.” I asked nonchalantly as I sat delicately on the chair. The Hatter laughed gave me an amused look.

“The Hatter is my official title, but you can call me Donghyun.” He replied lightly with a wink, which made me blush and look down at my hands. “And I suppose I’ve made a name for myself here.” Minwoo chuckled at the last part which left me confused.

 

I sat there awkwardly for a few minutes, stealing glances at Minwoo and Donghyun as they chatted lightly about god knows what. I was wasting my time just sitting here; I had to get to the palace as quickly as possible and Donghyun must know the way there.

“Excuse me, Donghyun. Would you by any chance know the way to the Red Palace?” I asked him politely and gave a slight smile. Minwoo stopped talking and looked at me with the ghost of a smile lingering on his face. Donghyun stared straight at me with a dark glare.

“Why do you want to know?” His expression was a complete one eighty from before and it was sort of scaring me. ‘He looks pretty mad. Why though?’ I gulped loudly and regained enough courage to continue.

“Well, I need something from there. It’s very important I get it as soon as possible.” I replied strongly and watched as his eyes grew darker as he looked to the right towards a dark cluster of trees.

“I know the way. But I’m not sure you’d handle it, it’s pretty rough.” Oh, so that’s why he’s like this; he thinks I’m weak.

“I am by no means incapable of protecting myself.” My voice came out harsher than I anticipated and Minwoo smirked widely at me.

“Well, then Miss Taekyung. You need to take the route through the Glibber Forest and then take the road that connects to Imply road. That should lead you to an open plane with Kigger flowers and if you follow that you’ll get to the Red Palace.

“Are you mad?” I asked quickly. What in the bloody hell was he on about?!

“You could say I’m mad as a Hatter.” He answered with a dark smirk. “That’s the only way to get there. So, if you want to arrive there before dark I suggest you head off now.” I sat there dumbfounded for moment before noticing that both Donghyun and Minwoo had both stood up from their seats and were walking towards the cluster of black trees off to the right.

 

I stood up from my chair and ran towards them. They were standing at the entrance of the trees and I looked at them fearfully. It was near pitch black in there and there was no marked path. Minwoo saw my uneasiness and gave me a light hug.

“Let’s met again, yeah?” He said sulkily. Even if he was odd and always smiled like a Cheshire cat, he was undoubtedly adorable. I patted his head and gave him a smile before turning to Donghyun. He was at least a head taller than me so I had to look upwards when thanking him.

“Well, thank you very much. I shall be on my way now.” I nodded my head slightly and turned to walk into the entrance of the trees, but a hand caught my shoulder. Donghyun spun me back around and leaned forward. I mistook this as something else and took a step back but he only placed his head next to mine.

“I have the feeling this won’t be out last meeting.” He whispered into my ear before standing straight again. I agree, I doubt this will be our last meeting. I quickly thanked them again and marched into the trees. I stopped and looked behind my should again but only saw two figures vanish into thin air before turning back around and trudging through the trees.


Hey again! Finally the Hatter has been revealed. Sorry, if it's not who you wanted it to be. Cheshire Cat Minwoo, kekekeke!

Comments and subscriptions are much appreciated.