Chapter 1

I fell....in love with the enemy

Two cinnamon Buns. And one cup of hot coffee.” Said Yoobin as she placed the orders on the table, “You sure don’t want a drink with that? Our coffee is amazing—as I say so myself.”

The customer smiled, “Since you mentioned it..I will have one. Thank you.”

“No problem.” Yoobin said heading over to the counter as she wiped her hands. Working as a waitress was something she partly enjoyed. She likes to cater people’s need but also their stomach as she was a pretty good baker.

“Welcome to Broken Wings Café!” Yoobin heard from her co-worker Yeeun yelled cheerfully as the welcome bell rang as customers came from the door. “Sunye, go help those customers” Yeeun ordered as she took more food from the back.

“Sure thing!” Sunye said, helping 4 girls to their table.

Nudging Yeeun, Yoobin smirked, “Looks like someone is in a good mood…take it that Daesung took you on a date finally.”

Smiling, Yeeun placed her hands on her hip, “Welll…matter of fact, it was a romantic  dinner. It’s not like we all have time to go out, Yoobin. The café takes too much of my time.”

“And you are blaming me for this?”

“Yah. I’m not. This café is the only thing we have right?”

Yoobin chuckled, “Sure is.”

The Broken Wings café was all Yoobin’s idea. Why the weird name you ask? It was a café that caters to all people of broken…anything. Namely being for the people with broken hearts, broken families, broken friendships. The café soon got popular for the coffee and the environment was safe for those that go there. It was a place the help patch up people in need---those who fly high needs a break once they got a broken wing, right?

 

 “Yah, Yah. I’m here busting my with customers. I’m gonna take my break!” Sohee yelled as she went off to the front door.

 

“Sohee! We’re not done!” Sunye yelled then giving her a sighed, “That girl has major love issues.”

“She’s probably seeing Jiyong as we speak.” Yeeun mentioned as Yoobin nodded, “And mentioning about seeing people…we got us some police officers at 6’o clock.” Yeeun said as she hit her hip to Yoobin, who turned around and looked.

Two officers wearing clean cut uniforms with a light blue dress long sleeve shirt with the Korean Police Badge attached, a dark blue tie and black slacks. Their belt s is neatly equipped with the necessities such as handcuffs and a side gun in which Yoobin was eyeing. The first officer was often wearing a hat as it was someone they all knew. Dong Youngbae. A kind and respected officer that is a regular in Broken Wings Café, not only he has charming looks, he is also a skilled fighter—from one of the strongest elite in all of Korea.

But today was different, another man was with him. He was wearing the same uniform but wore dark rimmed sunglasses. The aura of him was so surprising that the café was a little quiet, as the girls who were sitting on the far end started whispering and staring at him.

Sensing a weird tension, Yoobin whispered, “Who is the second guy?” she asked Yeeun.

“Hrm…not sure.” She answered, “I haven’t talked to them much, probably a new guy. He always seems to be here with Youngbae though.”

He probably just dragged him.. thought Yoobin.

Sunye was already placing them into their usual table in the far corner. “Yah. Oppa.” She started, mentioning it to the second officer, “Why do you always come here?! Just because we just moved here and me getting me this job doesn’t mean you have to follow me!”

Youngbae laughed, “I think he just cares about you, Sunye.” He said smiling at her as Sunye grew red.

“N-no…He just likes to bother me—that’s all.” Sunye said then whipping her head to Youngbae, “So the usual today?”

They both nodded but Youngbae added, “How bout something a little sweet today? My day always gets brighter seeing you smile.” He said giving her a wink.

“Urm..s-sure thing!” Sunye said turning red, once again. She quickly ran to the back for their orders.

“You should stop acting like that towards her. Sunye’s my cousin after all.” the man in front of him said.

Youngbae chuckled, “Hey, hey I like being nice. I don’t know, but you were the one that requested on being here all the time during our lunch breaks.”

He shifted in his seat, “It’s the closest one near us, so it’s convenient.”

“Uh huh…”

Sighing, “Youngbae, she’s my only cousin and my only family member, what else should I be looking out for.” He said with concern.

“There’s a reason why this café is open…“ Youngbae added as the other man looked at him with a questioning face.

“Two coffees and two strawberry pastries.” a voice said as she placed the orders on the table.

“Good evening, Yoobin.” Youngbae greeted in which Yoobin gave a small smirk, “Hey.”

“You haven’t met my new partner, haven’t you?” Youngbae mentioned, pointing to the man in front of him.

Seeing the man to her right, Yoobin just stared at him, giving an emotionless look, “Oh.You’re the new guy..huh. I’m Yoobin.”

He smiled at her and took off his sunglasses which startled Yoobin a bit, he had the darkest eye that Yoobin ever seen. In fact, after he took off his sunglasses, he looked quite intimidating.

“Nice to meet you, Yoobin. I’m Choi.. Seunghyun.”

He reached out to shake her hand, which Yoobin carelessly shook as Yoobin nodded almost shyly, “Same to you.”

Sensing the weird vibe, Youngbae coughed, “Actually, Yoobin here is the manager. She’s been away for a while, so she adjusted to some new changes, right?” Youngbae said.

“Yeah..” Like this one. Yoobin thought. “...Urm, Just let me know if you need anything else.” Yoobin said.

“There is…something.” Seunghyun asked calling in Yoobin’s attention.

“What?”

Chuckling, Seunghyun pointed to one of the pasties, “I think it may be Sunye’s doing but I’m allergic to strawberries, would it be a burden for you to get me something else?”

Yoobin took the plate and gave him a small grin, “Sure. I can guess what your favorite is.”

Arching his eyebrow, “…Try me.” He challenged.

“You like black coffee with little sugar meaning you prefer… a simple croissant.” Yoobin simply said.

Youngbae laughed, “Bingo.”

Yoobin titled her head after she heard his comment, “Am I correct,  Mr. Choi?”

Narrowing his dark eyes, he smiled, “In matter of fact you are. It’s what I always get here, Miss Yoobin.” Seunghyun said.

 

 

This guy…is interesting.

~~~

 

Later that night, after a busy day in the café, Yoobin closed the shop. After she locked the front door, she walked down the sidewalk down to a empty parking garage, making sure no one was following her, she looked left and right. Going down the ally way in the back of the lot was a small shed. Inside, she closed the door, opening up a sheet which covered up a shiny black and red motorcycle.

Yoobin smirked at her sleek motorcycle , “Hey there, baby. You missed me?” dropping a big black bag on the floor, she quickly changed out of her work clothes that usually consist of a long sleeve shirt and jeans into tight leather pants, boots, a cut off tubetop that reveals her midriff and most importantly….

 

 

 

Her wig.

 

Yoobin’s fingers gently pulled off her midlength dark brown haired wig into the bag, revealing her natural red hair with almost golden white streaks that lengthen down to her hips. Straightening out her hairs with her fingers, Yoobin quickly applied her usual dark cat eye makeup and blood red lipstick. After putting a jacket on, she opened her wallet revealing a small picture of smiling faces “Please watch over me.” She whispered then rode in the dark night.

Racing up to the mountains to her estate, she parked in the garage and walked to the front gate. Once she opened the door, there were two rows of men bowing down at her entrance.

“SHE HAS ARRIVED. ALL ATTENTION!” a man yelled as all of them yelled in greeting, “WELCOME!”

Yoobin took out her helmet and walked down the aisle. “Here.” She said handling the helmet to a random person, “Where is he?” she asked.

One of the men stepped forward, “He is in the basement, ma’m.”

Nodding, she went down with him following her. “What has he done so far, Junsu?”

The man named Junsu, nodded, “He seems to be a traitor..let’s say. During your absence, he has been tricking us to deal money with another dealer but turns out that it was someone in his own family. We’ve been used.”

“Tch. That lowlife…” Yoobin muttered.

Walking down the dark corridor, echos of screams and agony were heard which didn’t bother Yoobin one bit. Slamming the door open, she yelled, “STOP.”

In front of them was a beaten man, both arms in chains which each men were holding, a man in front of him had a metal bat which was covered in blood.

The man with the bat stopped and turned around bowing in Yoobin’s presence, “Ma’m..here he is.”

Yoobin walked slowly toward the now disfigured fellow, blood was gushing down his lips, torn clothes, bruises covered both eyes. He was in a terrible shape as he whimpered.

But she merely smirked and lifted her hand to the one carrying the bat, “Give me the bat, Daesung.”

Daesung who was the man beating him, gave it to her without being hesitant because if he didn’t, he might be the one next.

Yoobin, now with the bat placing it downward like cane, walked towards him, each step with a loud clack, clack, clack—the metal hitting the cement ground hard.

The beaten man started to shift uneasy, “ …I beg-g… y-you.”

Titling her head to the side, Yoobin gave him a cold stare and squatted down in front of him.

“What did you say?..Speak louder.”

Before he even made a sound, Yoobin whacked the metal bat across his face—blood spattered everywhere including to the man on his right, holding the chain that connected to the prisoner’s arm.

“I didn’t say to talk now…did I?” Yoobin said coldy as she stood up, “I’ve heard from a little bird that you’ve been tricking us while I was away. How can you do that when all we do is cater for you?”

The man made a sound as if he was crying. Yoobin shook her head, “What is this? A man crying now?..You know, what happens to men like you who do things like this.”

 

He blurted out, “ I-I have family! A wife and three kids, my w-wife is dying-g. I n-needed…the m-money!”

“AND SO YOU USED US FOR YOUR OWN DOING?” yelled Yoobin who stood in front of him, slamming the bat on the ground, she lifted his chin with her finger, “Why…didn’t you ask for help? Hrm?...did you think that because I was away, there was a time where you can pretend to be the leader and take advantage of what you have here?”

He whimpered again, “P-please…”

“Please what?”

“Let me l-live..”

“A life like you shouldn’t even be alive…and yet, you have family?” Yoobin made an evil chuckle that made all the men in the room shiver. “Do you know what I will say when I see them? About a certain truth about them..”

His eyes widen, “No…you will n-not…”

“Oh. I will.” Immediately, Yoobin pulled out a gun to his forehead, “…they are now orphans whose father is a traitor.”

She pulled the trigger, killing him on the spot.

 

 

Daesung gave Yoobin a clean white towel to wipe her hands and her gun. “So...what else is new today?”

He shook his head, “Nothing much..” Daesung said, taking the now bloody towel from Yoobin’s hands.

Noticing his response, Yoobin stopped walking and turned to Daesung, “It’s…” he started but didn’t know what to say. Not only that he just saw Yoobin murder someone, his stomach was in a knot. But heck, she’s been doing it., he just never gotten use to it still.

“Yeeun found out what I have been doing..” he blurted out.

“And?” Yoobin coldy said which startled Daesung.

“Nothing about you, she’s worried that I’m in some sort of trouble..she doesn’t want me to hurt anyone.”

Yoobin sighed, “You aren’t. And the last time I checked, no one has been doing the killing….” She started to walk down the hallway leaving him to stand there, “But me..”

Daesung shook his head and whispered;”….That was the point.”

He then walked quickly behind Yoobin as she said, “We ARE a gang, Daesung. We deal with other members for money, drugs, weapons or other valuables. Our purpose is to simply live but the world doesn’t let us to do that..right?”

He slightly nodded as they went in to a dark office. In the middle of the room was a large wooden desk with a leather chair, settling on it, she open her laptop for some business work and noticed a message on the desktop. She made a pleasant grin

 

“Just when  I get back..Things are starting to stir. Tonight is another deal, gather the group of men, Daesung!...We're going on a field trip.”

 

~~~

 

“Officer Dong and Officer Choi?”

Looking up, both figures stood up and bowed to the chief, “Sir, yes sir!”

“Please come to my office.”

Youngbae and Seunghyun both looked at each other in curiously. Following him, they sat in his office as the Chief sat down in front of them drinking a cup of coffee—even in the middle of the night, he always like his cup of coffee especially from Broken Wings.

“It’s been a while that you both have been working together—a month, I suppose?” he said.

Seunghyun nodded, “Yes sir, even though I am new here, Youngbae has been teaching me the tricks and trade of the area which I gladly support his assistance. ”

Youngbae smiled, “We are a good team, Sir.”

The chief chuckled, “Yes, yes. I am surprised, usually partners like you wouldn’t be able to work together in a short period of time, both of you were able to catch over 40 criminals. That’s a record, of course, but Youngbae here had single handedly caught 60 in three nights! Amazing”

A little embarrassed, Youngbae nodded, “P-please..its just my job, Sir.”

“Not just a job, Youngbae! But a passion. I am glad to have you on my team.” The chief smiled, “And you, Seunghyun. I was looking over your pass records, you also have an fabulous file as well. Catching a boat ship of criminals and breaking up one of the biggest drug dealers all on the same night?”

Surprised, Youngbae looked at Seunghyun who merely smirked and nodded, “That’s correct, Sir.”

The Chief shook his head, “I can’t believe people like you exist but in a good way though. So in trusting you both with our lives, I am here to propose something to you…Have you heard about Queen B?

They both held their breaths but shook their heads.

“Its been last reported that this man,” he showed them a picture of a long dark haired man in a simple suit, “ He was taken. Word has it that he was working under Queen B. His family was in need of money so he secretly went to us, we told him that to ensure he get help, he have to pretend that one of our men was a dealer to get the money and in a way to get a tracking of Queen B; we were able to get a small tracking device on her  but as sad at it was, mission had failed… Not sure if he’s alive or dead but….”

The chief took out another picture and a file including several documents, “This is Queen B. A woman but she’s not one of your average criminal.”

Both of them faced forward and looked at the picture, it was blurry side view of her  but you can see the outline of her face and dark blood red hair with a smirk, and on her hand was a gun, shooting a bunch of men in front of her like she was on a killing spree--an execution even.

“The picture was taken from one of our men…and bless his heart. We predicted that she shot him once the picture was taken. The camera was found with no other pictures but this one…She seems to be mocking us even.”

Seunghyun took the picture and examined it carefully, “What other details have you had on her?”

“She’s a cold-blooded killer, that’s all to it. There are many legends about her,  her parents got killed, built an army of men and boom—there you go.” The chief said, “She controls hundreds of men killing other corporations, not only in Korea but other parts of the world. We believe that she targets here is because it’s easy for her.”

“And so you want us to find her?” Youngbae asked feeling a little weary about this new task.

He nodded, “There are some left over traces that she was not in Korea till…now. Reports say that she traveled to America. But honestly we don’t know what her true motives are. I want both of you to find any types of traces…Actually—“

A ring of the telephone interrupted their conversation, “Pardon me,” the chief said as he took the phone. “Hello?—yes, yes..” He said in a serious tone.

After he hung up the phone, “Looks like your mission, starts tonight. Call in all agents and head out.An army is swarming to the location…FIND QUEEN B NOW!” he roared which Seunghyun and Youngbae ran racing into their police cars.