Oblivious On Its Finest

You Interest Me

She was too absorbed in her thoughts that she forgot to look at the person sitting behind her.

Usually, it wasn’t a problem. But now it is.

Because the people who sit behind her usually don’t stare at her back to the point where the person could bore a hole into her skull.

It’s uncomfortable and annoying. She needs to focus on the teacher and take notes so that she can maintain her scholarship but now that her skull has a big hole on the middle; it might prove to be a little hard.

She grips her pen tightly to prevent herself from lashing out. Her back feels hot; this person really hates her it seems, to stare with such intent.

By the time the bell rang, she couldn’t contain her sigh of relief. Grabbing her lunchbox, she bolts out of the room immediately.

Walking down the hall, she hit her forehead in irritation. She forgot to sneak a glance again. Curiosity really makes her jittery; she just couldn’t go without knowing. She just has to know. A trait she considered as advantage but sometimes her biggest downfall.

Well, that person whoever they are could probably draw a perfect sketch of her skull now.

She was too absorbed in her thoughts that she didn’t realize she had already arrived in her destination. A deserted area somewhere in the west wing of the school building.

It was a park, a beautiful small park.

She has been coming here ever since she was in elementary. Yes, she has no friends at all.

Who is gonna be friends with a poor weird smartass girl? No one. And she has been pretty content with her life.

She has no time to hang out with friends; it’s hard enough to balance her life right now she really doesn’t need any other distraction.

She eats by herself in silence. Sometimes, she hums her favorite song of the day and traces the invisible beats with her chopsticks.

Coming back to classroom has been a hassle. She felt a little bad about going to class, she never felt that way before, and discomfort surrounds her.

She walks into the class noticing the absence of someone sitting behind her. Sighing in relief, she sits down contentedly.

Until the end of the day, the person could not be seen. Skipping on first day, some guts, Hyorin thought to herself while walking to where she knew her brother usually waits.

Every day she’ll pick him up and take a bus to her workplace together. She used to work there alone but as her brother grows, the boss learned that he is very well-liked amongst the customers as offered him to work which he immediately accepted.

Her heart feels a sharp pang every time she watched him work. He wasn’t supposed to, he is just a child.

Then later in the evening, she works as a waitress in her uncle’s bar. Tough job that is, always having to deal with someone’s bull or drama but no choice, she has to keep the money coming or else they would starve.

Just like that, the morning always come again in the same way. Her life has been like this ever since her parents left her and she has no desire to change it.

This evening, she dressed in simple gray button down shirt and black jeans grabs her bag and departs for work. She ensures Hyojin has already eaten and is doing his homework before closing the door and stepping out in the cold night air.

The bar is just a few minutes’ walk from her place, it’s pretty huge and is very popular. She sometimes see her schoolmates partying her, of course they don’t recognize her, probably too drunk.

She pinned her bangs on the crown of her head to keep it from falling down obscuring her vision.

Today seemed to be a little more crowded than usual. Her uncle upon setting eyes on her immediately ushered her to her workplace.

A group of scantily clad girls seemed to be swarming something or rather someone down there, curious, she tries to peek before reminding herself, not your problem, she told herself and quickly replaced her curiosity to the back of her mind.

Reaching the bar which is higher than the dance floor, she noted to herself that it is indeed not a someone but a few someone-s.

One of the girls dressed in a very tight red glittery outfit that literally left nothing for imagination called out to her demanding a margarita. Followed by some of her friends, all clad in the same tight fitting dress.

She briefly wondered if she will ever be able to wear a dress like that but scratched it almost immediately as she prepared the drinks.

She then proceeded to bring the drinks over, only then did she see the men who have been the centre of attention.

She kept her eyes low, trained on the tray and the little path provided as she put the glasses on the table. The only thing she managed to see from her quick glance is that there are a few men, almost all with girls on their laps, the ones that don’t have their arms draped in the girls’ lower backs with very little space left in between and that is all she needed to see.

She was glad she didn’t see anything more; her eyes will probably burn out.

Her coworker, Park Haejin has a smug look on his face when she came over.

“Like what you see?” He asks haughtily.

“I see you every day since I was 15, nothing new.” Cheekily, she retorts.

He flashed a look of mock-hurt but continued nevertheless, “I mean, those guys down there.” He motions with his chin.

“I’ve seen them and as a man, I’d say those were some fine goods.”

“You do realize that you sounded so gay right now?” She laughs and hit his upper arm lightly.

He shrugs. “Just saying.”

She let her eyes wander for one last time to the group before resuming her work.

“Oi bartender! Another round!” A group of drunk ahjussi-s called.

Oh, this is gonna be a long long night.

 

A shrill alarm sound pierced the silent morning waking up the female still snuggling comfortably in bed efficiently. The said female stirred lightly before groaning and drags herself to the bathroom grudgingly.

Yet another day.

To avoid having her eardrums suffer such agonizing experience like yesterday, she quickly makes her way to the classroom without leisure. She notices the seat behind her is empty but paid no mind to it as she set herself in her seat waiting for the bell.

From the classroom she really can hear the screaming girls down there, as if on cue the remaining female species in class rush out hurriedly.

She lets out a long sigh and puts on her earphones. Her ipod is one of her most prized possession and it has proven itself to be quite useful in situations such as this.

-x-

Walking down the usual hallway filled with noisy creatures, he only looks straight not wanting to look at the abominations around him flinging their shrilly voices and bodies at him and his friends in hope that they would actually take a glimpse at their pitiful selves as if his pounding headache is not enough already.

Only when he reached the lockers does he look around, trying to spot a certain brown eyes that caught his attention yesterday.

Passing the spot where he’s sure to see her yesterday, he was met with nothing, no small brown eyed girl with a pretty smile.

He was curious. She didn’t seem to be like the others, he hasn’t seen her around. Is she new? Well, it’s not like he is good with faces, but hers just stuck.

Ugh, thinking definitely didn't do his already aching head any good. Letting out a long sigh, he already regretted getting out of bed today.

-x-

Kai didn’t see the Kim girl sitting in front of him by the lockers today. Is she absent? Well, she didn’t seem like the type to skip school. The goody two shoes.

It’s true though, he skipped yesterday in effort to preserve his reputation. He really felt like pulling on her ponytail so then at least she’ll turn and notice him.

He decided against it though. What will people say? Kai of EXO suddenly started physically bullying a helpless girl?

He saw her though upon entering the class, sitting by herself with earphones in, reading something. She looks so absorbed, and yet again, she didn’t notice him.

Groaning frustratedly, he throws himself on his seat. Some girls from his class immediately swarms themselves like a herd of bugs, though Kai only focuses solely on the girl in front of him.

One week has passed, and Kai has already accustomed himself to her lack of attention—something he definitely detests and will never admit.

Just when will this oblivious rigid girl notice him?

She always looks straight ahead during classes and on lunchbreaks, she bolts immediately. He never saw her on the school canteen; she seldom stands by the locker anymore when they walk in.

Aish, he really felt like crazy. She probably didn't even know his name and he almost never catches hers because his mind is too preoccupied.

Until that day when he finally felt so grateful they have to go fetch their beloved aegyo prince.