Eye Contact

You Interest Me

Kim Hyorin has been living a pretty miserable life, her parents left her forever when her brother is 5 leaving him in her care ever since. They were an average family but her parents tried giving her the best education by enrolling her in the best academy in the country, SM High. When they were still around, of course it wasn’t that hard for her because her parents can provide the money for living and since she is a smart student, she has the school full scholarship on her grasp.

But now that her parents are not around anymore, she has to provide food, education and shelter for her 12 years old brother. The school is lenient enough for the two of them seeing as them both are very clever students to reduce the school fee for her brother.

It’s been 7 years since that fateful day and the pain in her chest has dulled to a numb pain. Balancing school and work has been hard but she is grateful enough to be able to see Hyojin’s smile every day.

Snapping out of her daydream when her bus to school arrives, she pulls lightly on Hyojin’s arm into the bus immediately scanning for a place for her brother to sit which he protests fervently upon her pushing him to sit, “Unnie! You should sit, I’m a big boy now!”

Smiling, she ruffles his hair affectionately but still stands beside him without a word.

Their grand school is beginning to appear, their stop gradually nearing.

After dropping her lovely brother, she started walking in a brisk pace to her school. Passing the extravagant gate, she glances at the people around her. It’s quite the hilarious thing, they wear the same uniform but still it feels so different.

They accessorize the uniforms with beautiful expensive things while she just wears what was given which somehow in a very twisted way, tells everyone that she is beneath them like they didn’t know already. Being the only student who doesn’t come from a wealthy family really makes her stand out.

Not like she really cared though. She had much bigger and more complicated thing to worry over than trivial things like what people think of her when they see her walk down the hall, it’s not like they really even pay attention to her anyway.

They never really bother with her; they probably just see her as a pebble on their gold coated road. The school bullies, that is.

“Omo!” A voice sounded from beside her locker.

Every morning, it’s the same.

Long shrieks, melted gasps, the hall suddenly became filled with variety of voices—primarily females. It’s like the announcement for everyone that they are coming.

Male students didn’t even bother to try and compete. Them twelve are of the richest families in South Korea and Chinese, blessed with super good looks—born with diamond coated golden spoons on their mouths, she thought bitterly.

EXO is what they call themselves.

Hyorin never really bother to try to look or throw herself at them, it’s not like they’ll even glance at her—that’s if they can see her over the seas of raging female hormones in front of their eyes and that’s a very big if. They probably didn’t even know she existed.

She just continues on what she is doing with her locker, taking her things out, arranging them neatly before turning around only to unexpectedly meet eyes with the tallest guy in the middle.

He is good looking, with a very in capital. Their eyes met for just a brief moment before she offered a small meek smile which he returned with an equally small gesture.

“Oh my god! Kris oppa just smiled at me!” The girl in front of her shrieked so loudly, Hyorin couldn’t help but flinch and looks at her in a weird agitated manner, unknowing about a man chuckling to himself upon seeing her reaction.

So, she is the one he’s smiling to, huh? Okay, now that is just plain embarrassing, she thought bitterly to herself while walking to her class after the EXO moment has passed. Well, whatever, it’s not like they’ll ever meet again right? At this time, she hasn’t realized how wrong she is.

The girl in front of her on the other hand, looks ready to faint. Her knees buckled, her face flushed as she muttered incoherent words Hyorin couldn’t bear to care about as she walked passed her without looking back.

She always feel that those kinds of girls are the stupidest, why throw your bodies to a guy who probably wouldn’t even give a damn about you or even your names?

Shrugging her shoulders, she turns her attention to her new homeroom teacher as she entered.

“Hello everyone, my name is Mrs. Song.” And the introduction starts.

“I’ll be moving everyone into an arranged seat.” Was her exact words.

Hyorin is a little worried; she hopes she won’t be seated at the back or at least not in front a tall person.

To her relief, she is seated in the front right beside the window. One of her favorite spots.

She just loved staring down the window even if there’s nothing worth watching, she just likes it.

 

 

-x-

 

 

“Kim Jongin.” The teacher called. Yet another boring year, he thought to himself as he lazily raised his hand.

“Your new seat will be … there!” She pointed to a place by the windows. “Right behind Miss Kim.” And then to a woman in ponytail.

“Miss Kim please raise your hand.” She seemed to be in quite a daze as her head quickly snaps up upon hearing her name before raising a small hand up.

Kim Jongin or Kai as he preferred to be called has a good look on her face when her head snapped up. That’s the girl from earlier, he recalled.

He was just passing the hall like usual when a girl yelled loudly right next to his ears, he couldn’t quite remember what she said partially because it’s nothing of importance and also because she has damaged his eardrum with her ear-piercing voice. He was just turning around to take a look at his assaulter when he saw a particular girl with a funny look on her face directed to the murderer of his eardrum.

His anger quickly forgotten, he chuckles softly to himself.

“What?” A deep voice from his side said. He turns, Chanyeol was looking at him with an expectant expression.

“What?” He mimicked.

“No, what?” Chanyeol insisted.

“What?” He repeated, exasperatedly this time.

“What are you laughing at?” The question was presented in more detailed manner this time.

“Nothing.” He singsong-ed and walked forward ahead of his crazy friend.

He sat without a word and she lowered her hand without so much as a glance to him.

Kai, already accustomed to attention wherever he goes—even expecting it sometimes, feels a little bit bothered by her lack of attention to him. She just kept on looking down from the window, not even caring about the teacher still arranging the seats or anything around her at all.

Curious, he looks down as well. Just what is this girl looking at that is more interesting than him? Than her good luck just to be seated in front of him? She should be jumping in joy just to be in his vicinity. Is it one of his friends?

Nothing. His curiosity is met with nothing. It’s just a plain green field with some trees.

It’s official. He is duller than a green field now.

Cradling his temple, he let out a long sigh.

The girl in front of him watches the teacher intently when she explains about something he couldn’t even bother to care, he on the other hand watches her back with the same intent as she does the teacher.

Her hair fluttered gently as she moves to write on her notebook. He was tempted to pull on her hair.

No, no way, he shakes his head, he is EXO’s Kai not some childish jock. But it looks so soft, oh the temptation is almost unbearable. Almost. He seizes hold of his self-control, what the hell? It’s not like him to feel that way towards a girl.