Chapter Two

Life Is A Curse
CHAPTER 2





“What’s the name of your savior again?” Jongwoon asked Kyuhyun as he took the seat beside Donghae who is a lollipop.



The youngest among the three stopped reading for a while to glance at his hyung and reply, “Sungmin?” The red-haired narrowed his eyes – making it look like that is closed, “Lee Sungmin?”



Kyuhyun was about to say something, but chose not to. Come to think of it, they agreed to treat each other as brothers and all, but they didn’t ask for each other’s surnames and numbers. Yes, he knows that Sungmin lives in Seoul as well, but what are the chances for them to meet coincidentally when Seoul is one big busy city?



Then again, he got back to Jongwoon, who was now looking at him a bit intensely. He shortly wondered as to why it is as if Jongwoon was kind of nervous.



His question was then answered by Donghae, “Hyung, don’t tell me you’re still wishing for your ex to come back? Aren’t you the one who called it off?”



Both Kyuhyun and Jongwoon gave Donghae surprised looks, making the latter blink innocently at his two friends. Kyuhyun has this curious expression on his face, while Jongwoon’s is… hurt.



That’s when Kyuhyun remembered his Jongwoon-hyung’s ex-boyfriend who left for Japan five years ago. Just like what Donghae said, it was Jongwoon who broke up with his former lover.



“You know how much I regretted it. I think I have the reasons to still hope for him to come back…” Jongwoon reasoned out whilst he stared at the calm view of the blue sky.



The younger two fell silent; they know how Jongwoon went through the pain of letting go of the one you love just because of the fear of distance separating them… just because of his cowardice. A thought suddenly crossed Kyuhyun’s mind: Was he really Sungmin-hyung?



He is unsure of it; he only saw that Sungmin for a few times… five times to be exact. Yes, in the entire two-year relationship of Jongwoon and Sungmin, he saw the guy for just five times because he really wasn’t in favor of same relationships. Since Jongwoon is one of his best friends, he tried accepting that the guy was gay, and so he just stayed away from the couple whenever they are together to avoid doing something to hurt his hyung’s feelings. That’s probably the reason why he forgot what Jongwoon’s ex looked like. Well, there are lots of Lee Sungmins in Korea.



“What if he really is in Korea now?” Jongwoon snapped, gripping his dongsaengs’ arms.



“Uh, good?” their dancer hesitantly answered, his eyes fixing on their maknae, who just had a blank face.



Jongwoon then looked at Donghae, “Hae, do you remember what my Sungmin looks like? Was there any resemblance on Kyuhyunnie’s savior?” Jongwoon knew that Donghae, unlike Kyuhyun, got really close with Sungmin.



The smaller brunet shook his head slowly, his round eyes squinting, “Of course, I still remember what Minnie-hyung looks like, but Kyu’s savior wasn’t there when I fetched him at the airport…”



“That’s because Sungmin-hyung had to stay at Mokpo the day we went back here.” Kyuhyun butted in, with a hint of possessiveness on his tone – in Jongwoon’s opinion.



For the whole duration they are in the classroom, waiting for the professor to arrive, the place was noisy due to the chatters of the students sharing stories about their summer vacation, so the three guys went curious when everybody seemed to fall silent.



Thinking that there is now a teacher, the three sat properly and looked towards the door, only to gape at the sight of a stunning black-haired guy staring back at them.





********





Kyuhyun sighed, letting his pen fall from his grip, as his head tilted slightly to glance on his hyung at his right, frowning when he saw the elder looking at Sungmin who was located far behind from them. His gaze then shortly averted to Sungmin, his savior and brother, finding the guy have his head down, not listening to Hyukjae nor to the professor.



So, his hunch was right; his Sungmin-hyung is also Jongwoon’s Sungmin. But, why was he disappointed? Oh, yeah, it is because just when their hyung had already moved on, Sungmin comes back. It was five years of depression and regret for Jongwoon, after all.



He is now confused; he doesn’t want ‘Sungmin’ back in Jongwoon’s peaceful life, but he just welcomed that same Sungmin in his. Can’t his cursed life get any more complex?





********





After the bell rang, the students excitedly stood up and gathered their things to go to their next class, including Sungmin and Hyukjae who did the same thing.



Just when the petite black-haired reached outside the classroom, a person from his past appeared in front of him, a shy smile curved on the red head’s lips.



“Long time no see,” Jongwoon said in all gentleness he could pull off, making Sungmin’s insides melt all over again; Jongwoon’s voice is still as sensual as before.



In spite of the painful memories with this guy flooding his mind, Sungmin was able to form his signature sweet smile, “Yeah. Five years, right? But, you’re still looking handsome… in fact, you’ve gotten more attractive. I bet you have a girlfriend now, huh.” Sungmin knew well that he is a masochist, yeah.



Jongwoon chuckled while he put his hands in his pockets, shaking his head slightly, “No. I was not in a relationship for five years now,”



The younger bit his lips; he doesn’t know if he should feel happy or guilty for it. Happy, because that means Jongwoon really loved him. Guilty, because Jongwoon most probably still loves him. What?



“Hey, Minnie-hyung!”



Sungmin thanked the heavens above when he heard another voice from beside him, and there they saw two brunets – the smaller one was grinning at them, while the taller guy is not looking at him, though the latter’s presence made him unconsciously beam.



“Oh, hey there, Donghae.” Of course, he just can’t forget this childish guy. Donghae was always the one who asks him to buy him chocolates, go to toy stores, and color some… things. Glad that he was still remembered, Donghae skipped towards the raven-haired and engaged the other into a bone-breaking hug.



“Hae… can’t… b-breathe…” Sungmin choked while patting the younger’s back to make him let go of him, which the other easily understood and complied with a sheepish grin.



After exchanging small chuckles with Donghae, he then turned to his new brother, smiling when the tall guy is still avoiding his gazes, “So, that’s why you were familiar when I saw you at Mokpo. You’re that boy who doesn’t want to talk to me before.”



At this, Kyuhyun’s cheeks were painted in light pink, pouting, “I am unsociable, hyung…”



“Yeah, yeah, I know, Mr. I’m-not-sociable.” The petite guy remarked as he ruffled his dongsaeng’s brown locks, tiptoeing in the process.”

While Sungmin, Kyuhyun and Donghae are having a fun conversation, there is someone who is throwing dagger looks at Kyuhyun.



The one wearing a pink shirt then turned to the silent red-haired, flashing a radiant smile, “You better keep an eye on your maknae, hyung. He tends to do crazy things by himself.” Jealousy still overtaking him, Jongwoon managed to force a small smile, hoping that Sungmin would not notice his discomfort.



A hand gripped Sungmin’s arm, with Donghae cocking an eyebrow at the new student, “Oh, you’re that grumpy hipster monkey at the airport.”



Hyukjae frowned the moment he heard the comment, but a smirk came after, “Oh, hello there, clumsy fish. By the way, have I already thanked you for splashing your juice on my expensive t-shirt?”



The smaller returned the smirk and crossed his arm, “There’s no need, actually. You’ll make me feel flattered. I can do it again if you want to.” The exchange of sarcastic words from the two guys successfully made Jongwoon forget his dilemma for a while.



Sungmin rolled his eyes and pulled his friend away while saying goodbye to the other three males.





********






To be honest, Kyuhyun has no idea as to why his Jongwoon-hyung seemed to avoid him. The older was giving him the cold shoulders since their meeting with Sungmin.



He tried making Donghae ask their hyung, but Jongwoon denied it and laughed, though in Kyuhyun’s opinion, it’s a fake one.



Was he jealous? That’s what he thought. Only a jealous person will act like that to his close friend. Seriously, why would Jongwoon get jealous? It’s not like something is going on between him and Sungmin.



He only likes Sungmin as a brother, not as a lover. Then again, why not take this chance to make Jongwoon forget Sungmin? He has nothing against Sungmin… it’s just…



That was when he was about to cross the road; however, a car rapidly passed by and splashed water on his white shirt, making him grunt in disgust as his fell on the cemented ground.



“Aish!” he screamed while checking his drenched top, putting this one in his list of his cursed life.



“I’m sorry, kid. I didn’t mean to splash water on your shirt!” he looked up and saw an old man in a corporate attire approach him; he must be the driver of the car.



The ahjussi looks rich, but who cares? He is also rich, besides, when it comes to accidents like this, the social status in life is disregarded.



Frowning, he stood up, trying to sound as polite as he could since he is talking to an older one. “But ahjussi, I still have to go somewhere… How can I go there looking like this? I look horrible!”



The man panicked and started looking around, now gripping the younger’s arm, “I-I’m really sorry! My son is studying here too. Maybe he has an extra shirt which will fit you.”



“Ahju-”



“Appa? What are you doing here?” From a distance, Kyuhyun heard a familiar sweet voice. He quickly turned to look behind him, his eyes wanting to go out from its sockets when he saw Sungmin approaching them with a curious look on his face.



Sungmin stopped on his tracks as he noticed his father with his new friend, whose shirt is dirtied with mud.



“Kyu, appa, what’s wrong?” he asks as he went near the two. “You know him, son?” asked the adult back the person who just came.



. Of all people, why Sungmin-hyung’s father?! Kyuhyun mentally facepalmed.



“Yes. He is a friend of Jongwoon-hyung,” Sungmin replied, now standing beside his dongsaeng, his fingers touching the part of the shirt where there is mud. “Oh, so Jongwoon is also studying here?”



Sungmin just sighed and nodded his attention focusing back on Kyuhyun’s shirt, “Do you have an extra shirt?” he asked his dongsaeng. Kyuhyun cringed at the contact, his voice getting shaky, “N-No…”



Then, Sungmin looked up at him, shock written all over his face, “Do you still have to go somewhere?” At that, the younger merely nodded, can’t take the heat creeping his cheeks already.



“I’m sorry… I really am…” Sungmin’s father apologized to Kyuhyun once again. Normally, Kyuhyun would shout, but since a friend of his is present, not to mention that friend of his is the son of the offender.



So, he chose not to say anything and let Sungmin do the talking.



“It’s alright, appa. I’ll take care of this. I have an extra shirt here.” Sungmin said with a smile whilst he rummaged thru his backpack. The pink lover beamed as he fished a blue shirt out and handed it to Kyuhyun, “Here! I’ll accompany you to the restroom,” he then faced his father while pushing his dongsaeng back to the building, “He’s now fine, appa! You can go now! See you later!”






This is officially listed on Kyuhyun’s most embarrassing moments in his cursed life.



 

TO BE CONTINUED...