Chapter One

Life Is A Curse



CHAPTER 1






Since he can’t go out and do normal things that normal kids do, he decided to just focus on his studies to kill his boredom… and play Starcraft. Besides, he is studying on the university that was owned by his family… he won’t dare pull down their name by doing badly in school. That’s mainly the reason why he thinks way different from his age that people assumed he is older.



Though he’s the snobby and nerdy type of student, he does have friends. But he only hangs out with them at school, except for his two best friends, Donghae and Jongwoon, who gave him company whenever he’s alone at the mansion. In fact, he is one of the most popular boys in the university and is famous with girls. However, he showed no interest on them no matter how hard Donghae and Heechul – another friend – influence him.



He just… can’t.


 



*********


 



After 12 years, he’s there again, standing at the edge of the cliff, letting the wind blow his brown hair as he cries his heart out, hoping that the cold wind surrounding him could take away the pain he is feeling right now. He suddenly felt the urge to look down on what’s under the cliff, to where he will land if ever he decides to jump off here and end his life.





I’m sorry, Kyuhyun-ah, I’m afraid that your heart got weak again… But don’t lose hope, we can still find ways to cure you, it’s bad but it’s not yet worse and let’s pray that it won’t happen.





That was what Dr. Park told him this morning for one of his weekly checkups.



He is already tired of this kind of life. Will there be an end to this? Will he be forever sick? Why won’t he just die so that the people around him won’t suffer anymore?



And that stupid bottle he threw when he was still a child… where is that now, anyways? Was it already eaten by a shark or a whale that died afterwards because it isn’t edible? Will he end up like that bottle soon?



If he was to die, he would rather prefer that his body won’t be found. That way, he will be easily forgotten. The troubles he brought to everyone will soon be disregarded. Knowing Donghae-hyung…



He has had enough. He is tired of taking pills every day which didn’t even help in making his condition better. He is tired of pitying himself. He is tired of being envious of the people who can do the things he can’t, and might never do.



I’m sorry appa, Jongwoon-hyung, Donghae-hyung, and to whomever… or if ever someone picked up that bottle while fishing or swimming on the sea… I won’t forget you all for your kindness… please live well without me. I love you, people… especially you, my dear Starcraft. You are always there for me when I’m alone. I love you the most.



Next thing he knew, he was already in the water and only its blue color can be seen. He bitterly smiled as he felt oxygen being taken out of him. He surrendered his destiny and heart here 12 years ago, and now, his life.



As he was going deeper, he saw a figure moving, it has wings and it looks like it’s going to his direction.




An angel?




*********




Sungmin was on his yacht, taking pictures of the sceneries on the sea when suddenly, his lens caught a sight of a man jumping off the cliff. At first, he thought it was just random rocks falling, but he went back to the picture he caught and it really was a man! He glanced back to the place where he saw it and noticed that there is no sign of the man. He panicked and told his friend to quickly drive the yacht to that side because someone just jumped.



When they reached that area, Sungmin removed his camera from his neck and gently placed it on the floor before diving.



He saw a body going deeper and thought that he was the one who jumped. He hastily swam his way to the person and carried him up. As soon as their heads were out of the water, he shouted at the young man waiting on the yacht, “Hyuk-ah! I’m here!”



Hyukjae, his best friend, threw a rope and told his hyung to take a hold of it. Since he was having a hard time in pulling up two people, he already asked help from another friend of them who was still oblivious of the scene there and just got out to eat.



Sungmin gave the boy CPR for he wasn’t breathing, though his heart is still beating. His lips curved a weak smile when the boy he saved choked out water and opened his eyes.



“Hey, are you alright?” he gently asked the brunet.



Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes as he observed the also-wet guy in front of him, trying to recognize him. He just nodded before looking around, only to remember that he did jump off that cliff. He frowned at the guy, raising his tone as he struggled to sit properly, “Why did you save me?! Haven’t you realized that I didn’t want to be saved?!”



Sungmin scrunched his forehead, confused with the boy’s words, “What?”



The younger snorted, “I just committed suicide! Why didn’t you put an end to my useless life?!”




Sungmin turned dead serious as he stood and scowled at the guy he just saved, “Great. I just saved someone’s life and I even don’t get a thank you? Look, I don’t know why you attempted to end your life and I don’t have the intention to know, but just to let you know, no one’s life is useless. It’s just that some people doesn’t know how to make use of it wisely and end up surrendering when tough challenges got through them. You should be rather thankful that your life wasn’t snatched away without you knowing it, with others deciding it for you. You even decided to kill yourself when nobody wanted you to die.”



“How did you know that nobody wanted me to die? What made you sure that they didn’t want me to die? If it happens, their burdens will lesse-”




He was cut with a slap on his face.



“If they did, they already did that even before you thought of doing so. Why don’t you just thank me for helping you have a second chance to correct your mistakes and live your life to the fullest?!”



When the brown-haired boy didn’t answer, Sungmin sighed and said before going into one of the cabins, “If you still want to die, just jump right now. I don’t care. I already did my part… the next is up to you. It’s not your life that’s useless, it’s you yourself.”





It hurts. Not because of the slap, but the guy’s words hurt more. It was like each letter was a poisonous needle stabbing his frail heart, making it dangerously weaker.




Why didn’t Jongwoon-hyung and Donghae-hyung leave me? Appa even did everything just to find a donor for me… Maybe they really wanted me to live? That guy is right. Their efforts and sacrifices will be wasted if I committed suicide. Why am I such an idiot thinking of myself only? Pabo Kyuhyun!



His thoughts were interrupted by a voice of a guy with a gummy smile, “Sorry for that. He’s just being emotional since he became nervous when he saw you jump. He really is nice.” Then a chubby guy munching his potato chips beamed at him, “Yah, you should change your clothes. You might catch a cold. Maybe Hyukkie’s clothes will fit you.” Kyuhyun pointed at the door where his ‘savior’ went in, “He is Hyukkie?”



The thinner guy flashed his gummy smile, “No. I’m Hyukjae. He’s Sungmin.” The chubby blond spoke, food still in his mouth, “I’m Shindong!!! It’s not my real name though… What’s your name, kid?”



“Kyuhyun.” He said while looking around, liking the fresh cold breeze touching his face.




Shindong then brought Kyuhyun onto one of the cabins so that he can change and there he gave the younger clothes from Hyukjae.




When he was already half-dressed and was about to wear Hyukjae’s navy blue shirt, a voice made him jump and throw the cloth on the carpeted floor.



“Oh, you didn’t kill yourself?” the tone was kind of amused.



Kyuhyun felt guilty with everything he said to the man who was just concerned and saved his life that his eyes fell on his bare feet, mumbling, “Sorry.”



Sungmin snorted. He just came out from the bathroom when he saw the stubborn ‘my-life-is-useless’ guy putting on his jeans. He wasn’t shocked that he said sorry and was here; he kind of expected it because there’s no way that Hyukjae and Shindong would let someone suicide in front of their eyes.



He placed his right hand on his waist and let his free hand palm his nape, “I’m sorry too. I was just being carried away. I got overboard.” Kyuhyun snapped his head up to look at the previously soaked wet Sungmin who was now dried and kinda looked good with his short black hair, and his pink fitted shirt “No! I mean, you… you’re right. I shouldn’t doubt the people who had been with me for all these years and waste their efforts… I…”



Sungmin’s dark black eyes looked at him straightly, piercing him with those gazes as strong as his voice, “Just don’t do it again next time. There’s a phone upstairs. Contact anyone who could pick you up and tell Shindong-hyung the rest.” He walked towards the door but not before looking back at the stiffened boy, “You better put on that shirt if you don’t want to get a cold… just by looking at you, you seem rather… weak.”




It took him no less than a minute before he realized that he was indeed cold in spite of heat which was slowly rising up to his head while looking at the retreating back of Sungmin and the space the beautiful guy was at before. He slumped lazily on the large, soft bed after putting on the shirt and clutched the cloth on the chest area.




Why am I so nervous when he’s around? What’s wrong with this heart? Maybe I lacked oxygen? Stupid.




********




Kyuhyun went to where Sungmin told him the phone is and there he saw Shindong eating instant noodles again. He seriously wanted to ask why was he always eating, but based on the latter’s body, he already knew the answer and might get himself thrown to the sea; just that he doesn’t want it this time, so his genius young mind told him to shut his mouth and mind his own damn business.



ldquo;Uh, Shindong-ssi…” His voice made the chubby blond choke the noodles in his mouth and Kyuhyun had to rush to him and pat his back worriedly, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to-“



Shindong cut him with his toothless grin as he waved his hand in front of the younger’s handsome face to tell him that he’s fine. Kyuhyun stood straight but still wore that worried look as he watched Shindong grab a bottle of water and drink it. “So, what do you need, Kyuhyun-ssi?” The brunet scratched his head on the side and his cheeks blushed a shade of light pink as he fidgets, “Uhm… Can I… Uh… Sungmin-ssi told me that I can borrow the phone here so that I could…”



“Okay! It’s here!” Shindong pointed at the white telephone at the white counter beside him. Kyuhyun smiled weakly as he bowed and went to the phone to make his call while he thought that he was being cut all the time recently but shrugged it off as he started pressing the buttons.



He impatiently taps his foot as he waits for someone to pick up. He called his Donghae-hyung’s phone, sighing when he already heard that cheerful voice from the other line.



Hello? Donghae speaking. Who is this?



It’s Kyuhyun, hyung.



Kyuhyun moved the phone away from his ear because the man on the other line shrieked, “OHMYGODKYUHYUN!WHERETHEHELLAREYOUANDWHYDIDYOURUNAWAY?!



“S-Sorry, hyung… I was just-”



“Never mind. Tell me where you are and I’ll pick you up. Your father is worried!”



“I’m… uh… at Mokpo…”



“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING AT MOKPO?! HOW DID YOU EVEN GET THERE?!”



“Hyung, would you please stop shouting at me?!”



 “Then stop shocking me, you brat! Why are you there?!”



“I just…” Should he say that he intends on committing suicide? “…thought that I need fresh air before school starts,” Lame.



“What?”

Since Donghae is Donghae, he knows that his hyung will believe him. “I see. Well, I can’t pick you up since that place is far. Aish, why are you like this?! If only you aren’t my best friend….!” He was feeling guilty again. “Do you remember where our house is located there?”



“Not that sure. Besides, your place is on the other side of the province. I’m near the sea area.”



“Oh, okay then. Find a place to stay for the night and buy a ticket for tomorrow’s flight. Don’t go to Seoul tonight. You’ll get tired. I’ll be at the airport tomorrow and strangle you. I’ll try bringing Jongwoon-hyung so that he could abuse your philtrum the whole day.”



“Thanks, hyung. But, please don’t bring Jongwoon-hyung? He’ll kill me. Oh, and I hope this won’t reach the ears of my father.”



“Aish, I hate you. You’re making me a liar again! Okay! This is not for free, Kyuhyun-ah! You have to buy me a strawberry cake!”



“Yeah, yeah, sure. Bye.”



And then he thought, why did he try killing himself? He owes Sungmin a lot.



“So, what did your friend say?” Shindong asked him after noticing that he already put the phone down. He smiled at the older as he scratched his head, “I’m from Seoul, actually. So, he can’t pick me up at the airport tonight since it’s already near night time.”



“Do you already have a place to stay for the night?” He diverted his gaze to the skinny blonde guy who asked him that, his cheeks felt like burning when he saw Sungmin trailing behind Hyukjae.



Hyukjae, seeing that Kyuhyun isn’t saying anything and is gawking at his best friend, grinned before snapping two of his fingers on the boy’s face, laughing at the shocked reaction of the brunet, “Hey, I’m asking you! I know Minnie is beautiful, but sorry to disappoint you ‘cos he’s mine!”



“What the hell are you saying?” Sungmin lightly smacked the younger’s head as he walked past the back of Hyukjae and took the seat beside Shindong, eyeing Kyuhyun blankly.



Kyuhyun stuttered and started looking everywhere except the three males with him, “Uh… what? Oh! Ah… yeah… I-I s-still don’t have a p-place to stay, but I can go to a hotel…”



“Why don’t you just stay with us? Sungminnie’s family owns a townhouse here,” Shindong nonchalantly declared while munching a hamburger. He then nudged the one beside him, “Is it okay, Ming-Ming?”



Without hesitation, Sungmin answered, shrugging his shoulders, “It’s fine with me. I already saved his life, so why not extend more kindness to him?”



“No, it’s oka-”



“Great! You can also get the flight with us!” Hyukjae let out a manly squeal as he dragged Kyuhyun to the cabins while saying things about the house they were staying at… and about Sungmin. He kind of had a hunch that Kyuhyun crushes on Sungmin.



“You’re suddenly so kind to him, huh,” Shindong said in attempt to tease the younger, who just chuckled and grabbed a sandwich, “I’m kind to everyone, hyung.” The chubby guy laughed along with him before standing up to pat his dongsaeng’s head and went inside as well.



Sungmin stared at his camera, in which the picture of Kyuhyun jumping off the cliff is displayed on the screen.




********


Kyuhyun decided to take a walk outside the townhouse since he can’t sleep. He likes the sea; it is so calm and refreshing to look at, especially the nice cold wind it lets out. The relaxing view of the sea could make him forget all of his distress.



The place is nice; far away from the noisy streets of Seoul. He had always liked Mokpo ever since Donghae brought him here. Peaceful.



Then, on the seashore, he saw his savior sitting on a mat, drinking. Shyly, he approached the other, “S-Sungmin-ssi?”



The raven-haired cutely tilted his head to look at the tall guy, his eyes smiling at the same time his lips curved one, “Oh, hey there. Can’t sleep too?” Kyuhyun nodded, his cheeks turning pink as he asked, “Do you mind if I…?”



Sungmin shrugged as he scooted away to give Kyuhyun space to sit on, with the lanky guy biting his lips as he awkwardly sat beside the other.



The smaller man then gave Kyuhyun an empty goblet, “Do you drink wine?” Kyuhyun accepted it with a smile, “I love wine. Thank you.”



“Maybe I had a feeling that someone would drink with me that’s why I brought two glasses.” Sungmin giddily narrated as he poured red liquid on his companion’s glass. “How old are you, by the way?”



“Twenty,” Kyuhyun answered before bringing the glass to his nose and inhaled the sweet aroma the wine brought off, closing his eyes at the process.



Sungmin sighed as he lightly twirled the glass and watched the movements of the liquid, “I’m older then…” Kyuhyun looked at the other with a skeptic expression, forgetting that he was about to drink his wine, “Really?”



This made Sungmin chuckle and glanced at the younger guy, an eyebrow cocked, “Yeah. I’m already twenty-two. Why, you thought that we’re on the same age bracket?” He tried controlling a squeal when he saw Kyuhyun blush and look down to hide it, so he just reached for the guy’s chubby cheek and pinched it lightly, only to giggle at the pout of the younger.



“So cute…” he commented, and Kyuhyun’s pout grew longer.



“Hey, can I ask you something?” he suddenly changed their topic, somewhat calming Kyuhyun now. The younger’s silence took as a sign for Sungmin to just go on. “Why did you jump?”



At first, Kyuhyun was hesitating to answer, and Sungmin saw that through his eyes; however, just when the older was about to say that he may not answer it, he replied, “I was having heart troubles since I was a kid… and I just knew earlier that my condition worsened…”



“…that was why you just thought of ending your life, so that you won’t be a burden to your family and friends anymore?” Sungmin continued for him, though there’s caution on his voice. The younger just nodded, tears now pooling around his eyes.



Sungmin scoffed and turned to face the sea, fixing his eyes on the moon shining upon them, “You are such a fool, kid. If I were your father, I will now chop you into pieces.”



The brunet bitterly chuckled, the sadness he felt was suddenly being washed away and cracked a joke, “It’s a good thing you aren’t my father, then.”



Sungmin first snapped his head to the younger before bursting into laughter, with Kyuhyun joining after hearing Sungmin’s laugh.



“Hey, Kyuhyun-ah,” Sungmin breathily called for the younger while trying to catch for his breath due to long seconds of laughing. Kyuhyun just hummed, though his stomach did flip-flops at the realization that Sungmin just called his name casually.



“C-Could you be my younger brother?” This time, it was Sungmin’s turn to blush when Kyuhyun faced him with a questioning look on his handsome face – that was the first time he got to clearly see the other’s face close up. He sheepishly grinned while waving his hands frantically; surprised at what he just asked, “I-It’s not what you think! Of course, I won’t adopt you! I just-”



“I’d love to be a younger brother to you, Sungmin-hyung.” Kyuhyun said with a cheeky grin, making the older audibly sigh in relief and paused to calm his heart down; he likes the sound of ‘hyung’ coming from Kyuhyun’s lips. The guy’s voice is good.



“Cheers?” Sungmin, soon after, offered to his new friend, with the other scooting a bit near him to clamp his glass with the older male’s, “Cheers to a new friendship.”



 

TO BE CONTINUED...