Rude Awakening

Battlefield of Love

When morning finally arrives, Zelo shuts off the alarm clock and Daehyun and he both start preparing for the day. After brushing their teeth and changing into their training uniform, they both head over to the cafeteria and grab some breakfast.

“Hey! We’re over here!” Youngjae says waving his arm in the air. “Did you guys sleep well?” Youngjae asks as Zelo and Daehyun place down their trays on the table and take a seat.

“Yeah, I slept pretty well,” Zelo replies.

“What about you Daehyun?” Jongup asks.

Daehyun nods, not bothering to look up from his plate of food while he’s eating.

“You really don’t talk much. Or maybe you’re not a morning person,” Jongup says, in a joking manner.

Once the clock nears 0425, the boys rush to clean up the table and head over to the shuttle station. They jump on the bus and Zelo beings to wonder about where his captain is.

“Where’s Captain Bang?” Zelo asks.

“Captain Bang is already at the training field. Since he’s our captain, he has to head over their early for preparation,” Jongup replies.

“Oh, that makes sense.”

“Yeah, he’s very hardworking and can be a little scary sometimes during training. He may yell at you but don’t take it personally. He just wants us all to be prepared for missions and doesn’t want any mistakes to happen…,” Jongup says.

“Just do your best and you’ll do fine!” Youngjae quickly says with a smile on his face to reassure Zelo and Daehyun, who doesn’t seem to even be paying attention to their conversation, as he stares out the window.

In about 20 minute’s time, they arrive at the training field with little time to spare. They enter the training facility and take a quick stretch before heading outside. They all spot Yongguk and head his way, all lining up side by side once they make it over to him.

“It’s about time you guys showed up. You guys are in for it today so you all better be prepared. Alright, thirty laps around the track! Let’s go!”

Yongguk sprints right over to the track starting on his own thirty laps with the rest of the men following behind. They all make it through the first twenty-five laps with ease but Zelo’s pace starts slowing on the 26th lap.

“Pick it up Zelo! You’re falling behind!” Yongguk yells once he laps Zelo.

Zelo begins to pick up his pace but still everyone begins to lap him.

“It’s okay Zelo, you can do it! Keep pushing!” Youngjae says quickly as he passes Zelo.

All the boys finish and Zelo is still on his 28th lap.

“Hurry it up, Zelo! Don’t keep us waiting on you! For every minute you make us wait, times that by fifty and that’s how many pushups everyone will be doing later!”

Zelo quickens his pace and begins sprinting across the track but Yongguk’s harsh remarks keep coming. Unluckily for Zelo, he finishes four minutes after everyone else.

“What was that, Zelo?! Do you think you’re cut out to be on this squad?!”

“Yes, Captain Bang!” Zelo barks out in his military voice.

“Really?! Well, it doesn’t look like it! Men, two-hundred pushups now!”

The men quickly get into pushup position.

"Begin!" Yongguk barks.

In between pushups, Youngjae whispers over to Jongup, "Just like the old days. Ninety-seven! Feels nostalgic. Ninety-eight! Remember when he was last to finish? Ninety-nine! We had to do pushups because of him too. One hundred!"

"Yeah. One hundred and one! You're right. One hundred and two! He kind of does remind me of him... One hundred and three!" Jongup replies, a dejected look now appearing on his face.

Zelo curses at himself in the back of his mind for being the weakest on his squad and for making his teammates go through a set of two-hundred pushups. This causes him to tell himself to work harder and with that in mind, he gets through all two-hundred pushups along with the rest of his squad. Once they all finish, they get a quick water break and Zelo takes the time to slip in apologies to his teammates, who are all breathing heavily and drenched in sweat, besides Daehyun.

“Don’t worry about it, Zelo,” Jongup says before taking a drink from his water bottle.

“Jongup was the same way when he first joined but look at him now!” Youngjae says before pulling up Jongup’s shirt to flash his abs.

“Stop that!” Jongup says swatting Youngjae’s hands away.

“We’re all guys. I don’t know why you’re acting all embarrassed. They’re going to see you later anyways,” Youngjae says, since they’re all used to showering with other men.

“You guys have time to play around?! You must be done with your break! I want to see five reps through the obstacle course!” Yongguk barks when he notices his men slacking off.

“What obstacle course?” Zelo whispers after leaning his mouth towards Youngjae’s ears.

“The one behind us…,” Youngjae replies with a slight hint of misery in his voice.

Zelo then turns around only to mutter an, “Oh god….”

“Go!” Yongguk barks.

The boys quickly run to the obstacle course, an obstacle course that looks like it came from hell. There were countless ropes, tires, metal bars, walls, fences, poles, and everything else every soldier in the world dreads. Daehyun swiftly makes it through his first lap not even breaking a sweat while everyone one else stumbles far behind him. Zelo begins to monkey climb through the netting of rope holstered above a pit of mud. He almost reaches the other side of the pit until he accidently misses the rope only to grab a handful of air causing him to fall straight down into the sludge.

“Zelo! Get back on your feet now!”

Zelo struggles to fight through the mud but finally makes it out with muck covering him head to toe. Everyone continues through the obstacle course climbing over walls, crawling under barbed wire, and other strenuous tasks. Zelo finally makes it to his second lap only to groan to himself while Youngjae and Jongup are three-quarters through their second lap. Daehyun catches up with Zelo only to frustrate Zelo even more.

“What lap are you on, Daehyun?” Zelo asks through his heavy breathing.

“Lap four.”

“What?! How the heck are you on your fourth lap?! I didn’t even see you pass me all this time! I’m dying just trying to get through my second one!”

“Shut up, Zelo, and pick up your pace! Don’t make us wait for you again!” Yongguk shouts.

Youngjae, who is now on his third lap, catches up to Zelo and Daehyun. The all reach the rope-climbing portion of course, where they have to climb up to an elevated platform, only the platform is one-hundred feet above ground. Five ropes are lined next to each other and all three men grab a rope for themselves.

Youngjae groans and exclaims, “I swear this is the worse part of the course!”

Daehyun, ignoring Youngjae’s complaint, jumps up onto the rope and begins climbing. In a matter of seconds he reaches the platform.

“How the hell did your friend just do that?!” Youngjae exclaims in disbelief.

“He’s a freak...,” Zelo mutters, slightly annoyed and jealous at his best friend for being so ridiculously strong.

After a minute, Zelo reaches the platform followed by Youngjae. All four members of Squad 6 continue through the obstacle course drenched in sweat, and also in mud in Zelo’s case. Jongup, almost finishing his third lap, runs towards the netting of barbed wire only to be passed by Daehyun who sprints past him. Daehyun quickens his pace even more and right before he reaches the barbed wire, he slides straight onto his back. He effortless passes through the barbed wire by sliding fifty feet to the other side. Jongup stops in his tracks, jaw dropped wide open from what he just saw. He snaps out of his trance once Zelo passes by him and begins crawling under the netting.

Eventually all four men finish Hades’ obstacle course only to be cursed by Yongguk.

“What the hell was that men?! Daehyun finished within fifteen minutes and the rest of you took thirty minutes to an hour! Zelo! Why are you always the last one to finish?! You need to ing pick up your if you don’t want to die on missions! I’m not losing another person!”

Yongguk suddenly freezes after realizing what he just said. After a few seconds, he turns around and walks towards the training facility.

“I’m cutting morning training short. Hit the showers and meet up at the shooting range at 1000,” Yongguk mutters, but loud enough for the others to hear him.

Zelo, confused, looks over to his colleagues only to find Youngjae and Jongup staring blankly at Yongguk’s back. A gloomy mood suddenly clouds over the boys and even Daehyun is aware of the situation.

Zelo finally decides to speak up, “Hey… are you guys okay? What was that all about?”

“It’s nothing… don’t worry about it,” Youngjae replies.

Youngjae suddenly puts a grin on his face and marches off to the training facility.

“Come on guys! Let’s hit the shower!” Youngjae says, sounding like his normal self again.

Jongup, who puts a forced smile on his face, follows Youngjae. Zelo looks over at Daehyun who just shrugs and follows his colleagues’ trail.

Youngjae turns around and shouts over to Zelo teasingly, “Why are you still standing there?! Come on! We’re always waiting on you!”

Once Daehyun catches up to Jongup, Jongup throws his arm over Daehyun’s shoulder.

“I swear you’re not human, Daehyun. You really are a freak. I don’t know how you got through that obstacle course like that,” Jongup says with a laugh.

Like the running thoughts in Zelo’s mind, he runs after his three teammates and catches up with them.

“Holy cow, Zelo! You smell disgusting!” Youngjae exclaims.

“Shut up! You smell too!”

“Not as bad as you!”

“Well, I’m sorry they decided to throw in a stupid mud pit in the middle of the course!”

All the boys, other than Daehyun, laugh and with that, Zelo lets go of all the wandering questions in his head.