Mato (Part 2)

Battlefield of Love

A groan escapes Jongup’s lips as he regains consciousness. He slowly stands up, trying to shake the headache away as he observes his surroundings. He’s in a dimly lit room that leads into a hallway. He tries to locate where he’s at with the map but nothing shows up.

“Guys? Are you there? Youngjae?” he asks into his mic.

He keeps trying to get a response from someone but no one replies, which doesn’t surprise him. “Well, standing here isn’t going to get me anywhere,” he thinks to himself before going down the hallway. He walks down the hallway, gun in his hands, carefully checking for any enemies as he turns corners. As he safely makes his way through the metal building, he is finally greeted with a dead end. He stands there confused before he starts scanning the walls for any sort of secret passage. After a few minutes, he hears footsteps from behind, causing him to quickly turn around with his raised firearm. A male about his height and similar physique stands there with a smirk on his face. The male is wearing slick black pants, combat boots, and a sleeveless black vest with multiple zippers and pockets filled with stuff. He has a small handgun strapped to his hip.

“Hello, Jongup,” the cocky-looking male says before extending his hand towards Jongup for a handshake.

“Who are you?” Jongup asks, not flinching as he keeps his gun aimed at the male in front of him.

The boy slowly retracts his arm, knowing Jongup won’t return his greeting, before responding, “Me? I’m U-Kwon.”

“What do you want?”

“What do I want? Nothing in particular, but I’m sure you have something you want. So Jongup, what is it that you want?” U-Kwon asks as he moves over to lean back against a wall. “By the way, can you put your gun down? I’m not going to hurt you, not yet at least,” he continues before chuckling.

Jongup does as U-Kwon says, lowering his arms. He figures the only way he’ll get answers is by complying.

“What are your intentions?” Jongup asks coolly.

“My intentions? Just to follow out my orders,” U-Kwon answers, his eyes on his hands as he fiddles with some sort of device, to which Jongup makes sure to keep a close eye on.

“Which are?”

“To lead you to Daehyun,” he says before averting his attention from his hands to Jongup, a smirk forming on his face.

Worry begins to cast over Jongup as he asks, “Where is he? What did you do to him?”

“If I told you, that would take away from the fun… But don’t worry. I didn’t do anything to him,” U-Kwon replies, emphasizing on “I”.

“Take me to him,” Jongup demands.

“Well, that’s what I’m here for,” he says as he walks towards Jongup, who stands his ground. “But it wouldn’t be fun if I just lead you to him…,” he says as he smirks, body merely a meter away from Jongup.

“What do you want?” Jongup asks as U-Kwon’s circles Jongup.

U-Kwon comes face to face with Jongup, his face inches away from Jongup’s before he moves to whisper into Jongup’s ear, “Let’s play a game… catch me.”

U-Kwon pushes Jongup down to the ground before hitting a panel against the wall. Jongup scurries to get up as he sees U-Kwon running down a secret passage. Jongup rushes down the metal path as he hears U-Kwon laughing away.

“Come on Jongup, catch me if you really want to save your teammate!”

Anger rushes through Jongup’s body as he picks up his pace. U-Kwon quickly turns the corner followed by Jongup a few seconds later. To Jongup’s surprise, he’s faced with a fork. “Dammit, which way do I go?!” he asks himself before deciding on the left path. He runs faster and faster until he catches a glimpse of U-Kwon turning another corner.

“Wow, you picked well, Jongup. Are you going to get that lucky every time? One wrong turn could lead to your death!” U-Kwon says before he hits another panel on the wall leading down another secret passage.

Jongup keeps running, ignoring the pain in his legs as he enters the secret passage as well. He continues to come face to face with different splits during his chase but luckily he’s able to keep up with U-Kwon so he knows which path to take.

“I’m surprised you’re not getting tired yet. Not many people are physical enough to keep up with me. Let’s make this more fun!” U-Kwon says before pushing one of the buttons on the device in his hand.

Suddenly, all the lights turn off. Thankfully for Jongup, his night vision is still on so he can still see U-Kwon ahead of him. After more minutes of chasing, U-Kwon presses another button. A few meters in front of Jongup, a metal wall begins to lower from the ceiling to block of the hallway. Jongup runs faster and slides to the ground as he slips under the wall before it completely touches the ground. He jumps back on his feet, the space between U-Kwon and him only increasing slightly.

“You’re really making this fun for me!” U-Kwon shouts before pressing another button on his device.

Jongup hears pieces of metal behind him falling apart. He turns his head to look over his shoulder to see the floor behind falling into pitch blackness below. Although his legs are burning, he picks up his speed to outrun to collapsing floor behind him. As if this isn’t enough, U-Kwon presses another button causing metal bars to shoot out from wall to wall. Jongup begins ducking under the bars, jumping over bars, sliding under bars, basically maneuvering himself to avoid hitting the bars to could slow him down.

“You’re pretty good at this,” U-Kwon says not far up ahead from Jongup. “What about this one?” U-Kwon asks before hitting another button.

In front of Jongup, a slit on the right wall opens releasing metal balls to fall to the ground. Jongup leaps to jump over them but to his dismay, his foot lands on one causing him to slip and to fall on his back. He quickly gets up and starts running again, U-Kwon completely gone from his sight. He runs and runs until he’s faced with another fork. Without thinking, he turns left and continues to follow the path until he’s met with a dead end.

“…,” he mutters under his breath.

“So unfortunate… I was having so much fun… You were doing so well too…,” U-Kwon says from behind Jongup, who quickly turns around. “It a shame the game has to end here…,” U-Kwon says before pressing a button on his device.

Jongup hears the sound of metal sliding against each other from behind. He turns around to see a piece of metal sliding away on the wall to reveal a small tiny hole. All of a sudden, a dart shoots out and hits him directly on his neck. He stands there in shock, eyes wide open, until his body starts to weaken. His legs give in and he falls on his back, vision starting to blur. U-Kwon walks over and crouches over to face Jongup. Jongup fights to keep his eyes open, trying to lock his eyes with U-Kwon’s but his eyelids begin to feel heavy and eventually close.

“Game over.”