Mato (Part 1)

Battlefield of Love

The men follow behind their leader, arms ready to fire at any given moment. They know they have to be on their toes from now on out. They make several stops along the way to allow Youngjae time to hack into the server to try to find anything that would be useful to them on their mission. Most of the time Youngjae is unsuccessful at finding anything but he doesn’t let it get to him knowing that this is probably one of the toughest systems and software in the entire world.

“Any luck?” Yongguk asks as he looks over Youngjae’s shoulder.

Youngjae finishes typing out a long line of random characters, to which Yongguk interprets at a bunch of jibberish, and clicks enter before grinning to himself.

“Here you go,” he says to Yongguk as he passes the laptop over to him.

Yongguk observes the screen realizing that Youngjae has somehow accessed a full layout of the facility within Mato. After being praised by Yongguk, Youngjae downloads the map to everyone’s headgear.

“Alright, guys. You should all be able to see a map of the facility on the left side of your headgear screen now. Let’s get going, it’s getting dark.”

They men pick up their things and continue along their way until they’re about 500 meters from the facility. The base looks eerie, completely made of sheets of metal with no windows to allow one to view inside or outside Mato. The building looks like a giant metal cube that’s ten stories tall lying in the middle of a desert and seems completely out of place. The building reflects the sun’s bright rays, causing one to squint when looking directly at the building. The sheets of metal radiate heat from the sun, causing the men to sweat more and more; it’s not as if the desert isn’t hot enough.

Youngjae scans the green digital map and locates the main entrance. At first he’s confused as to which side of the building the entrance is on since all four sides of the building look the exact same, but after a few seconds he figures it out. The men hide behind a hill of sand with their guns aimed as Youngjae prepares to open the entrance. He vigorously clicks away until he gives them a countdown and finally hits enter. A loud screeching sound emits from the facility causing the men to tense up as they keep their aims towards the entrance. The thick wall of metal begins to split apart from its vertical center allowing the entrance open. After a minute, the entrance, that’s unnecessarily bigger than needed to be, is revealed presenting a pitch black opening.

Yongguk gives the signal to infiltrate the facility. Everyone but Youngjae makes their way over to the building and they all take a step inside. Youngjae stays outside behind the sand hill on his laptop so he can direct the squad and hack into the system to help them along their way. Jongup hesitates at first, memories of last time running through his mind, but finally follows behind the rest of the squad.

“Alright, men. It’s time. Let’s get this over with quickly so we all can get the hell out of here,” Yongguk says. “Youngjae, direct us to the main computer with the data on the secret weapon.”

“Follow the path on the map I created for you guys. It should lead to the main computer. The yellow dots on the map are you guys. Red dots will be the enemies. Basically anything red on the map is bad.”

“Roger.”

The men follow behind Yongguk who leads them through the metal building. Literally the whole building is made of metal; the floors are made of metal, the walls are made of metal, and so is the ceiling, all made of pieces of shiny and dull, steel metal that are screwed together. They continue making their way along the path. They need to get on the sixth floor where the main computer is. Yongguk follows the path on the map and eventually reaches an elevator. He decides it’d probably be better to take the stairs, knowing that elevators are the perfect trap. Expecting someone to be within the stairwell, he orders the men to be prepared as the bust through the door.

“Alright. Here we go. One. Two. Three!”

Yongguk slams the door open and all the men rush inside with their guns up, facing in all directions. No one’s there. It feels odd to the men that no one within Mato has showed up so far. Yongguk doesn’t question it as he continues along the path, wanting to get the mission done as quickly as possible.

Take slowly make their way up the stairs to the sixth floor, keeping their firearms up ready to shoot. They make sure to carefully check each turn up the stairs but no one within Mato appears. For some reason this seems way too easy to Yongguk. The make their way through the sixth floor, nearly reaching the room with the all the information they need on Mato.  He stops as they’re about 100 meters away from main computer room and the rest of the men do the same.

After a few seconds, Zelo hesitantly asks, “What’s wrong, Captain Bang…?”

“Something just doesn’t seem right...,” Yongguk says, knowing that the mission has been going way too smoothly, especially compared to last time.

All of a sudden the grounds start shaking and the men fall to the floor as they lose their balance. Alarms go off and red lights are flashing throughout the hallway, glaring into the eyes of the men as the shiny walls enhance the brightness of the light with their reflectivity. The sirens emit a high pitch screech that reverberates off of the walls, killing the ears of all the men causing them to groan.

“What’s going on, Youngjae?!” Yongguk screams into his headset.

“I don’t know! Someone from Mato must have set off an alarm!”

Youngjae furiously types away to try to figure out what’s going on but suddenly on the map he sees the floor flashing red beneath the yellow dots.

“Holy crap! Brace yourselves! The floor’s going to open!” Youngjae screams back, in panic.

“What? The floor’s going to what?” Yongguk screams over the sirens.

All of a sudden the metal floor pulls apart towards the wall and the boys all fall into a pit of darkness. The most frightened person is Youngjae, who hears all the screams from his colleagues through his headset. He feels helpless as he can’t physically see what’s going on nor can he physically help them.

After a few seconds, the men finally hit a ground landing into complete darkness. They all groan before trying to get back on their feet.

“Nnnnnh… Is everyone okay…?” Yongguk asks weakly.

The men respond that they’re all okay, just a little shaken from the impact of hitting the ground. The alarms, sirens, and shaking finally stop. They all stand up and gather together once again.

“Youngjae, we need night vision.”

“Gotcha,” he responds before applying the night vision setting the men’s helmets.

“Where are we at?”

“I’m not sure. The map didn’t have this area depicted on the map,” Youngjae replies, just staring at four yellow dots on a blank screen.

“. What are we supposed to do now?”

“What do you guys see?”

“Nothing,” Daehyun responds.

“Even with the night vision, there’s just a big open space around us. We can only see the floor,” Jongup elaborates.

“Hmmm… I’m trying to find something for you guys to go off of but I can’t find anything,” Youngjae replies as he types different types of coding into the Mato database unsuccessfully.

The men discuss what to do over the next few minutes, trying to come up with the best plan. They almost resort to just walking in some random direction until a booming laugh is heard throughout the metal building, resonating against the metal walls causing the laugh to echo. Everyone stands there in confusion until the laughing stops.

“I see that you’re back, Captain Bang, with that pathetic squad of yours,” the voice says before releasing another annoying cackle. “But I see you have some new members. Do you really think you stand a chance against me? You saw what happen last time? I guess you didn’t learn your lesson the first time. But I appreciate you bringing more back this time. Like the saying goes, ‘The more the merrier,’” the annoying voice continues before laughing his distinct laugh once more. “And we all know I’m merrier when there’s more to kill. I won’t let you get away this time. You got off lucky. I’ll kill all of you just like I did to your precious Himchan!” the voice yells before psychotically and, of course, hysterically laughing again.

“ you…,” Yongguk mutters under his breath as Jongup and Youngjae tense up upon hearing the name.

Zelo wonders who this “Himchan” is but quickly puts the thought in the back of his mind as he mentally focuses back on the mission.

“What was that, Captain Bang?” the voice says in an amused tone.

“I said, ‘ you,’ you ing bastard!” Yongguk growls, teeth flaring under his helmet.

“Awwwh, Captain Bang… No need to get upset! What about I bring in some of my men to play with you and your boys a bit? I’m sure that will bring your spirits up!”

Suddenly, hundreds of red dots appear on Youngjae’s screen circling around the four yellow dots. The other men on Squad 6 see the red dots on their headgear as well.

“Where the hell did they come from?!” Jongup yells.

“Jongup, now’s not the time for questions… It’s playtime! Hahahahahahahahaha!” the wicked voice replies before gunshots are being fired.

The men begin shooting back, finally seeing figures of armed men with their night vision. They try their best to avoid the bullets but suddenly a cry comes from Jongup.

“Are you okay, Jongup?!” Youngjae asks.

Jongup lets out a groan before replying, “Just got grazed on my arm.”

Youngjae lets out a sigh of relief as he tries to find an exit for his teammates.

The four men are all back to back, gasping for air as all the shooting and dodging has taken a toll on their body. They’re all surprised that none of them got hit. It’s almost as if the Mato soldiers were purposely trying not to hit them, only trying to threaten them.

“I think that’s enough, boys,” the voice says before his soldiers stop their firing.

The four men stop their firing as well but still have their arms raised. The red dots on the map never decrease, signaling to the men that the winner of this battle has already been decided.

“Now, now… Do you really think you guys can win against my men?” the voice says before chuckling. “This is just the beginning… There’s much more fun to come!”

“ you!”

“Such foul language, Captain Bang! That’s not very nice of you… My feelings are hurt…,” the voice replies sarcastically.

“What do you want?!”

“What do I want? Well, the answer’s quite simple, Captain Bang… I want you begging for your death!” the voice answers before laughing.

Without a warning, Zelo screams and the sound of his voice begins to fade away.

“Zelo!” Yongguk shouts, shortly followed by the screams of Jongup and Daehyun.

“Jongup! Daehyun!”

Yongguk sees on the map yellow dots surround by red dots moving further away from him, which he assumes to be the enemy dragging his men away.

“If you hurt them, I swear I’ll kill you! I swear I’ll have you begging for your death!” Yongguk screams into the darkness.

In a mere second, Yongguk is blinded by lights and his eyes try to adjust to them. As the blurriness begins to clear up, he sees a young-looking man with sharp eyes and a large smirk on his face in front of him. Before he can even take a good look at the male standing in front of him, the male begins to speak.

“It’s nice to finally meet you in person,” the male says, grinning.

Yongguk realizes the voice from earlier came from the person who is standing in front of him, just merely a few feet away.

“What did you do to them…?” Yongguk asks with a snarl on his face.

“Oh, you don’t have to worry about them, Captain Bang… I’m taking very good care of them,” the male says, the smirk never leaving his face.

“Return them to me…,” Yongguk says irritated, with a sense of authority.

“Now why would I do that? Do you not trust me? I told you I’m taking good care of them. Here, I’ll show you,” the male responds before a projection and shown upon a wall.

The projection shows a video of Zelo lying on the ground, arms covering his head as he is being beaten by a crowd of men, blood dripping down the sides of his mouth. The men keep kicking him all over and after one straight kick to his gut, Zelo is coughing out blood. After a few more hits, Zelo passes out. Yongguk tries to control his emotions as he grits his teeth and looks away.

“ you!” Yongguk shouts at the man.

“Oh my… That foul mouth of yours is going to get you into trouble one of these days. I have a name by the way. It’s ing ‘Zico’ to you,” the male says as he grins over to Yongguk.

“I don’t give a what your ing name is because you’re about to burn in hell!” Yongguk says as he raises his gun towards Zico’s head.

Right as he pulls the trigger releasing a rain of bullets, the room goes pitch black again. He stops firing after a few seconds and the lights turn back only to reveal no one standing in front of him. He looks around the room, now empty.

“Now that wasn’t so nice of you, Captain Bang…,” Zico’s voice booms out of the speakers installed within the building. “Well, since you want to play that way, let the games begin! Hahahahahaha!”