Time Machine

It's all in the past

 

“He’s outside.”, Soonkyu heard Hara saying.

“I’ll take care of him.”, Yoonchun was ready for a fight, as always.

Soonkyu knew they were talking about Sungmin.

It was a new day but she was tired and sadder than the day before. She hadn’t slept and he kept calling and calling. When it was almost seven, he texted her saying he would come to her house.

But she didn’t want to see him. It would only be worse. She couldn’t suffer more.

“Honey, don’t go.”, Hara stopped Yoonchun. “The guy wants to see Soonkyu. Why don’t we send her?”

“No! Are you crazy? He’ll just hurt her like he did to you.”, Yoochun protested.

Soonkyu sighed. Lies were ruining her life and she was helpless. And now, that shrew wanted her to go talk to Sungmin. She wanted to see Soonkyu suffer.

“That’s why Soonkyu will go downstairs to tell him she doesn’t want anything with him.”, Hara entered the room, followed by Yoochun. She knew Soonkyu was listening to everything.

“Tell him you know what kind of person he is, that you don’t want anything with him, you don’t really love him.”, Hara’s face was mean and tough. “Get rid of him.”, her voice was stern.

“No.”, Soonkyu firmly opposed.

“Soonkyu…”, Yoochun was about to plead, but Hara stopped him.

“Baby, I think I need to have a girl talk with Soonkyu.”, she said with her annoying voice.

“I’ll be outside.”, he left like a puppy.

“Look you midget, you’ll do what I’m saying or else your life will be worse than now.”

“I don’t really care!”, Soonkyu shrugged.

“Well, it’s not going to be just your life. I’ll make sure Sungmin and Yoochun suffer too.”

“Why are you doing this?”, Soonkyu simply asked.

“He deserves. You and your brother are just collateral damages. But I have to admit that living here is great. And your brother is like a sad puppy, doing what I say and believing everything. Now go talk to that bastard!”, Hara said sternly, almost whispering.

She didn’t want to, but she didn’t have a choice.

Still in her pajama, Soonkyu left her room, and went to the front door.

She opened it only to see a desperate, red eyed Sungmin.

“Sunny!”, he was going to hug her, but she stopped him.

“Enough Sungmin… Because of her we can’t be together. Please leave. This was all a mistake. We should have ended this when we found out. Now she’s just hurting us. Let’s stop. I can’t take this anymore.”

“You don’t mean any of it. Come with me.”, his voice was full of pain.

“I do mean it. I won’t go with you. She’ll hurt my brother too. She’s already doing it and he doesn’t notice. I can’t let this get worse.”

“Worse than what?!”, he cried.

“I know it seems like it can’t be worse, but it can. You know it can. Please go. We can’t be together again.”, she was about to close the door when he called her.

“Answer me this: if you had a time machine and you could go back to when we met, what would you do, knowing what would happen?”

Tears started rolling down her cheeks.

“I would make sure we wouldn’t be more than classmates.”

And she closed the door, crying.

But I would be selfish and hope you would love me as much as I loved you. Without regrets.