I’ll Back Off So You Can Live Better

It's all in the past

 

I can’t be with you. Don’t make me love you. Just don’t. I’ll leave you alone so you can have a better life. Goodbye.

                 Soonkyu looked at the sky. It was pink and purple. The air was hot and she felt a light and salty breeze caressing her porcelain skin. She sighed and closed her eyes, listening to the melody made by the waves.

                “Do you like the beach that much?”, she heard him ask.

                “No.”, she shortly answered, without opening her eyes. Facing him would only be worse.

                “It’s almost eight o’clock. Do you want to go grab something to eat?”, the sweet, but manly voiced asked.

                “No.”

                “Are you giving me the silent treatment.”, he asked with a mocking tone. She knew he was smiling.

                “No.”

                Suddenly she felt arms around her and a strong, hot chest against her back.

                “Why?”, he asked, now with pain in his voice.

                “It’s not working.”, she tried to escape his strong embrace, her eyes open and watery.

                “Why?”, he insisted, not letting go.

                “She came back Sungmin. And she knows about me.”

                All of a sudden the embrace wasn’t that strong. Soonkyu got up quickly, grabbed her shoes and left, but not without looking at Sungmin’s face first.

                He was shocked, hurt and confused.

                Soonkyu started walking and sobbing. It wasn’t fair. It was pure evilness. But she couldn’t do anything.

                “Don’t do this to me.”, she heard him. He was crying and his voice was full of sadness and it hurt her.

                But she was better than this. She knew she was. She had to leave.

                “Don’t leave me!”

                He grabbed her arm and turned her. His eyes were red and watery.

                He took her in his embrace while crying and she just looked to the beautiful sky.

                It was almost night; she could see some stars shining shyly in the purple sky. The sun was almost gone and the sea was calm. The whole scene was melancholic.

                She felt her chest heavy and it hurt.

                “Look at me.”, he said.

                He was a lot taller than her, but she was determinedly looking up.

                “Look at me.”, his sweet, but gloomy voice pleaded. Then, a pair of hands softly grabbed her head and forced her to look at him.

                “Please don’t leave me.”

                He kissed her.  His lips were soft but passionate. She felt his tears on her face. She didn’t move a muscle, but closed her eyes.

                When they broke apart he looked hopeful at her.

                “Please stay with me.”

                “Goodbye.”, she said, almost in a whisper.

                She left crying and living him crying even more.

                This is for your own good. You will forget me and have a better life. I love you.