Chapter 2: Yoon Doojoon

Soulmates & Commitments

 

I shivered as I felt a ribbon of cold wind touch my nape. I underestimated the climate in Korea, I thought as I let my baggage stand on its own and reach for the scarf I had in my tote bag. I wrapped it around my neck and finally went out of the airport to ride a cab, on my way home.

Yes, home. I’m going to live and work here until the company I applied to fires me, which I won’t allow to happen as far as I’m concerned. I rode a cab and told the driver the address. I tried to learn basic Korean phrases before I came here for convenience. Living in Korea, or in any foreign land, alone is hard enough. Not being able to communicate well even to cab drivers will make it almost hundred times harder. And who am I kidding, majority of the fangirls know how to read Hangul and some even understand a little Korean. And I am one of them. Who said fangirling was all useless?

The cab stopped in front of a tall white building. I paid the fare and gave him extra tip, which he noticed and politely thanked me for it, and went out of the cab. I breathed deeply. I am going to breathe this same air for several years. I entered the compound and to my relief, I quickly found the elevator. The apartment room I was able to scout was on the 9th floor. The elevator door almost closed when a petite lady was running towards where I was. I clicked the ‘open’ button of the elevator to wait for her. She smiled and slightly bowed to me.

“Komawoyo,” she said.

I just smiled and bowed back. She pressed the button for 10th floor. We were standing side by side and couldn’t help but give her a glance. And getting a good look from her for the first time, she looked familiar. I shouldn’t feel this way to any Korean since this is my first time ‘meeting’ a Korean. Unless she’s an idol, which doesn’t seem to be the case. I was just going to ask for her name, since making one friend a day was also my goal but the elevator doors opened and it was my stop. Maybe next time, I thought and went off the elevator.

I was glad that the apartment was already fully-furnished. I didn’t have to go through the hassle of buying things on the first day, or sleeping on the floor. I entered the bedroom and it looked dainty. Just the way liked it to be. I put my tote bag on the side table and my baggage on the bed. I started to unpack my things and put them in the closet.

I didn’t bring much so I finished in just a short time. I checked my watch. It was almost 5 o’clock in the afternoon. It was still early to sleep. I wasn’t a victim of jetlag so I found rest unwanted. I decided I could just go to the streets and explore. I took my bag and went off.

 

 

I was walking the streets of Hongdae when I saw a handphone store. I think I needed one right now. So I entered the store and browsed at the models. Surprisingly, the handphones were a lot cheaper compared to my homeland. And I almost squealed at the thought that I’ll get to choose my own handphone number. As soon as I saw the model I liked, I told the saleslady and purchased it.

It was now nighttime and it was getting a lot colder. I decided I could use the warmth of a cup of coffee right now, and maybe the sweetness of a chocolate chip cookie. I was going to look for a nearby café but the mere thought of a café brought my fangirl self in motion. So off I go to the café I wanted to go ever since it opened.

 

 

I wanted to cry as soon as I got off from the cab. I was now in front of the white, elegant café with a large screen outside - CUBE Café. They were now playing a music video of a group I don’t know anymore. It has been three years and new groups have been launched from this talent agency. Time does pass by fast…

I now walked towards the door of CUBE Café and upon entering, my nose delighted at the fragrance of coffee. But more than my nose ever felt, my eyes felt teary as my sight darted towards a corner. The corner where the artists’ stuffs were put. I found this moment very surreal. Just 3 years ago, I was just bawling my eyes out in front of my laptop, thinking about how I can never come here. But now, here I was, standing before its perfection. I looked at each item carefully. But my eyes were stuck at the pictures of the boys I’ve fangirled big time – BEAST. I finally felt a tear escape my eye as I touched a polaroid from their first ever World Tour. And I suddenly remembered the feelings I felt during those times. The times when I was freely fangirling for them. Which was, again, three years ago. Career got the best of me after that and I sadly had to let go of that aspect of my life. I actually felt guilty that I had to leave the fandom. It felt like I had to stop loving them. But now that I was here, I realized I never stopped loving these 6 dorks. They were always in my heart. I was just good at suppressing feelings all these years. I was starting to get overwhelmed by the whirlwind of feelings catching up to me that the simple tears were turning into sobs. I had to go to the nearest restroom and get my acts straight. Luckily, it wasn’t very hard to locate and I got there even before people started to notice me.

I laughed as I saw my reflection. It’s been a long time since I’ve cried like this because of BEAST. Non-fangirls would find it ridiculous but fangirls like me would totally understand how I’m feeling. I found myself feeling better in no time and waited for my eyes to go back to normal. I could hear some squeals outside. An idol must have arrived. I didn’t bother to go and take a look since I had a feeling it was one of those new groups. Me going there, consuming space is too wasteful since I know another fan could’ve used that same space and be able to see her idol up close. I waited for the commotion to be over before I finally left the restroom. The once peaceful café I entered was now kinda chaotic with fangirls, with genuine smiles plastered on their faces. It’s ridiculous, in a good way, on how the mere presence of your idol could make you the happiest person alive—which reminded me of my rare encounters with that idol.

I saw an empty spot at a corner and thought it was perfect. I ordered latte and a slice of cheesecake. I didn’t want a chocolate chip cookie anymore. After ordering, I was going to the spot I wanted but found it already occupied. So I just sat at the table beside that.

Oddly, the one occupying the table beside me was all covered. He must feel really cold. But why isn’t he ordering a coffee for himself? But instead of asking him directly, I just shrugged it off. I remembered I bought a handphone earlier so I took it out to check and explore. I wanted to call someone using my Korean number but I still didn’t know the charges for international calls so I would just save it for later. But I suddenly remembered that I actually have someone’s number with me. Korean, at that. I took out my old phone and switched it on. It’s been 3 years. He could have changed his number already, I thought. I almost laughed at how I sounded like I was about to call my ex-boyfriend. I entered the number on my new phone. I took a deep breath before I pressed the call button… and it rang.

My heart was beating so fast I almost couldn’t breathe.

*note: starting from here, pretend that the conversations are in Korean, even if I write them in English. :3*

“Excuse me, Ma’am. I’m sorry but you’re not allowed to come in here,” a waitress approached me.

I put the phone down from my ear. “Oh, jinjjayo? Juisunghapnida,” I apologized as I picked my things up from the table.

I saw the man on the other table looking frustrated as he talked on the person on the other line saying “Yoboseyo” over and over again. But then it hit me. I held my phone on my ear and I was right. That man and the man who gave me a phone call which I stupidly rejected 3 years ago was the same. It was Yang Yoseob.

“Uh, Ma’am?” the waitress said.

“Jamkkanmanyo,” I said, not removing my eyes from Yoseob, who was now looking at me too.

The waitress must have realized that I have already recognized the identity of the guy.

“Ma’am, I’m sorry but-”

I was starting to get annoyed at the insistent waitress when she got cut off by someone.

“Kwaenchanhayo. She’s with me,” said another voice behind us. It was another familiar voice. A man’s voice. I turned around to see who it was. He smiled at me.

And my day couldn’t get any crazier. It was the man I’ve been wanting to meet my whole life. The man I’ve been dreaming of. The man I’ve been wanting to marry as far as my delusions would take me. It was Yoon Doojoon.

“Annyeonhaseyo,” he greeted when the waitress already left.

I froze, as if I wasn’t frozen enough. I was now in the same room as Yang Yoseob and Yoon Doojoon... This is not happening. This could not be happening

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

[A/N] It took a while, right? Like what I warned you guys from the start. But I'm really glad I still got to update this sooner than I expected. :)

By the way, if you're experiencing some confusion right now, yes, there has been a time skip. The storyline needed it. So, yeah. :> What do you guys think? Leave a comment? :) Thanks!