Chapter 2

Pulling The Plug

Its been 15 days now and I keep hearing the same thing.

"Joonie please wake up."

"Joonie I miss you."

"Please dont leave me." 

His cries made my heart break. As each day passed I could feel my brain shutting down bit by bit. I wished to wake up for at least a minute. So that I could say goodbye and kiss him one more time. I don't want him to suffer anymore. Each time he comes over, he sounds more depressed. 

"I still have hope Joonie. The doctors are trying to convince me that you're no longer here and that you wont wake up ..." There was a short pause, "But...but I dont believe them. Because I know you'd never leave me. I mean if you weren't here anymore your heart wouldn't be beating..right? right?" He gripped my shoulders, waiting for a reply that never came. 

I'm sorry.

"I read that there are people in the world who spent years and years in comas... some did wake up." I could feel his shaking hands on me, "You will wake up. I know it, because you Joonie, are a fighter." A small laugh escaped his lips, "You fought for our love... and thats the biggest battle either of us had to fight...until now." He started crying again. I wanted to comfort him, but i layed there lifeless. The only thing keeping me away from the morgue was my beating heart. 

"I'll wait for you even if it takes years. Even if it takes my whole lifetime. I will come here everyday and talk to you even if you can't hear me." He took a deep breath, " There is a part of me that can feel you listening." He my face, "Come back to me."

I heard the door open, "Visiting hours are over. You can come back tomorrow." A strict voice ordered and Mir grunted.

"I wish to stay with you here all the time, but I need to work. After all who will pay these hospital bills?" He laughed weakly and kissed me before leaving. "I'll be back tomorrow."

With him gone emptiness filled the room. The darkness engulfed me and it felt like I was falling into a black bottomless hole. Without Mir, no one really visited me. Last week an old friend came by and talked to me  talked at me. My mother passed away two years ago and my father... well I havent seen him since the day I told him about mine and Mir's relationship. 

I didn't want to remember the bad memories, so I focused on the good ones with Mir and before I knew it, I had fallen asleep.


It's been 16 days...not that I've been counting...

*beep* *beep* *beep* I guess I'm still alive. Sort of.

I still couldn't move. 

I sat there wondering what time it was and what was Mir doing now. Maybe still sleeping? Maybe he's at work already?

The door opened and someone walked in. It wasn't the nurse or Mir. By now I could distinguish their footsteps.

"Hello Joon." It was Mir's sister. "It feels like I am talking to myself." She laughed weakly. "I miss you kiddo" She ruffled my hair, "And Mirue misses you too." She sighed. "My brother is working so hard that it is breaking my heart. I don't know if he told you but he had to sell the house you both brought. He couldn't keep up with the bills. " I felt her sadness as it poured out of her, "He is living with me now so don't you worry I'll take care of him. But do come back soon, I can't bear to watch him suffer so much." A drop fell onto my hand as I heard her sob quietly, " I'm glad you can't see me like this, its quite embarassing" She tried to laugh but it came out as a cry. "I'm sorry but I can't stay long Joon, I'll come back and talk to you again sometime." She held my hand softly and left me alone again. 

Why didn't Mir tell me about the house. Why is he working so hard? It makes me feel like such a burden

Why dont you just pull the plug on me Mirue?

Never...