Test of Courage

So What

Eun Chae returned to her tent and grabbed her water bottle. She was worn out. The whole day had consisted of repeating the same technique over and over and frankly, it was tiring. She went out of the tent and lay down on the grass. It felt good. Eun Chae closed her eyes and slept for a while. The open air was pleasant and felt cool against her cheeks.

                                                                                    -----s2-----

By the time Eun Chae woke up, she didn't know what time it was. The sky was fairly dark and a head was hanging above her.

"Eun Chae! Wake up!" cried Donghae. He smiled. Eun Chae got up and faced Donghae. He was changed in a loose shirt and jeans. The rest of the students were also changed and chatting excitedly. Eun Chae noticed Jonghyun who was laughing with a group of guys.

"Hi..." Eun Chae replied, yawning. "What's everyone talking about?"

"We're going to do a test of courage!" Donghae yelled enthusiastically. "The other guys suggested it and everyone wanted to do it right away! Let's go! I think everyone's going now," he said as people started to move into the forest.

"What? How fun!" Eun Chae cried as she slipped a map and compass into her pocket. She followed Donghae and the other students into the forest and saw that everyone was paired up and standing in a line.

"Alright. This is how it's going to work. Me and the other guys are going to stay here and judge the winner. Everyone will be going into the forest in pairs and will have to come back with a picture of themseves with the big tree in the forest. The first pair to come back with a good picture wins! The prize will be a month worth of free ramen at the local ramen restaurant! We'll shoot up fireworks when the winner comes back so everyone will know to come back. " cried a tall masculine boy who Eun Chae recognised as one of her seniors.

"This is so exciting!" shouted Donghae who was jumping around and grinning.

"RAMEN?! We have to win Donghae!" yelled Eun Chae who was totally fired up at the thought of food.

"Ready, Set, Go!!!!" screamed the tall boy. Everyone dashed off into the forest and raced to the big tree in the centre of the forest. Eun Chae caught a glimpse of Taemin with his friend and also saw Jonghyun who was running into the forest with one of the guys he was laughing with previously.

Though Eun Chae was curious about Jonghyun, she was too absorbed with thoughts of ramen in her head. Donghae was running around with hope that the next turn could lead to the big tree. Eun Chae was 'using' her compass which didn't seem to be working. The two of them walked around for nearly an hour and the sky had gotten dark. Luckily, Donghae had brought a torch and they were walking around in the forest. There were getting nowhere. The fireworks still hadn't gone up so it meant that no one had gone back yet. 

Out of nowhere, they heard a scream. The two of them raced into the dark where they saw two figures. It was two girls who were from their class.

"Are you okay?" Eun Chae asked worriedly. She saw a big cut on one of the girl's knees and looked at Donghae who was worried as well.

"I can't move my leg," the girl replied weakly. Her friend was trying to carrying her up but was unsuccessful. Eun Chae and Donghae helped and together, the four of them tried to walk back. However they were lost and everywhere seemed to look the same. Eun Chae was beginning to seriously worry for the injured girl so she decided to walk ahead and try to find the way back.

"Don't go Eun Chae! What if you get lost?" said Donghae concerned.

"Don't worry! I'm tough alright? I won't get beaten by a stupid forest!" Eun Chae replied as she raced into the forest trying to find the way back. But it was hard. Although she had said that, she was as lost as she was before. Time seemed to going quickly because by then, the sky was dark and Eun Chae didn't have a torch. She walked around aimlessly for a while until she tripped.

A large branch had been in front of her but she didn't see it because of the darkness. it caught her shoe and it pulled her down. Eun Chae screamed and felt the ground hit her face. It hurt. She tried getting up but her leg wouldn't let her. She was almost certain that she had sprained her ankle. Eun Chae looked down and saw that she had mutiple cuts on her legs. It was bleeding.

"Ah !" she cried. Little injuries like these didn't bother her. She had broken one of her arms and legs at the same time once. Though that didn't mean that it didn't hurt. She looked around and tried calling for someone.

"Donghae?! Hello! Is there anyone there?!" she yelled at the top of her lungs. She kept on calling out for nearly 5 minutes but there was still no one there. Eun Chae laid there and sighed. Her best hope would be that someone would come this way and find her.

When she felt as though all hope was lost, there was a sound. Someone was coming this way.

"Hello?! Is there anyone there?" Eun Chae cried hopefully. The sound was becoming louder and out of the darkness emerged light or rather an extremely handsome Kim Jonghyun. He looked down at Eun Chae and almost gasped. Eun Chae was lying on the ground with her leg bleeding and with cuts. He instantly crouched down and looked around her for more injuries.

"Yah! Yah! Yah! What the hell are you doing?" cried Eun Chae who felt her cheeks burn at being at so close to Jonghyun and being looked at by him. She tried getting up but instantly fell back down which caused her further pain. Jonghyun looked at Eun Chae and felt dejected. He immediately ripped out a piece of his shirt and tied it around her bleeding cut. Eun Chae tried to not call out but in reality, it really hurt. Jonghyun grabbed Eun Chae's hands and pulled her up on his back. She yelled in pain when she got up and just lay there weakly on Jonghyun's back.

Jonghyun began walking and Eun Chae laid her head down on Jonghyun's back. She felt safe and protected. They walked in silence but no words were needed to make Eun Chae's heart beat faster. She tried to stop it but she couldn't. This feeling was unknown to Eun Chae. No matter how hard she tried to calm down, she just couldn't. She was almost terrified that Jonghyun would be able to feel her heart beat on his back.

After a while, they heard fireworks go up. Someone must have gone back. Jonghyun immediately followed in the direction of the fireworks and shortly afterwards, they were back. Everyone was already back and were pacing around obviously waiting for the two of them. When they saw Jonghyun carrying Eun Chae back, they instantly ran to them and crowded around. Donghae had been the most worried person. He was blaming himself for Eun Chae being lost and had felt extremely guilty and terrible. When he saw Jonghyun carrying Eun Chae, he felt his heart rip apart. Her leg was bleeding and she looked weak. What was worst was the fact that it had been Jonghyun that had rescued her. Not him.

He rushed through the crowd and tried to talk to Eun Chae but she couldn't hear him. He grabbed her hand but it was pushed out by Jonghyun. He looked at Donghae with piercing eyes and immediately left to take Eun Chae to get some medical attention. Donghae just stood there and watched from afar.

His heart feeling more and more painful with each step that Jonghyun took.