Taekwondo

So What

"Donghae! Let's go! Hurry up!" screamed Eun Chae who was losing her patience. They were at the lockers and Donghae was taking his sweet time getting his books. " Patience is a virtue, Eun Chae ah," replied Donghae who was having the time of his life annoying Eun Chae. He closed his locker and they finally made their way out of the school.

"I can't wait to meet Master Kim!," said Eun Chae excitedly. Their previous master in taekwondo had retired and although the two of them were very upset about it, the fact that they were going to be training under one of the best taekwondo masters in South Korea seemed to be more thrilling. "Yeah, I know! I heard his son is going to be there too!" exclaimed Donghae, who was practicing some kicks. Eun Chae checked her watch and immediately, she grabbed hold of Donghae's collar and dragged him out of the gates. "Let's run! We still have to pick up Taemin!" she cried.

The two of them raced down the road to the local junior high and saw a tall feminine boy waiting. "TAEMIN! LET'S GO! RUN!" screamed Eun Chae. "Noona! What? What's happening?" asked Taemin as he followed behind Donghae who was being dragged by his sister. "We're late for taekwondo! Hurry up!" replied Eun Chae.

And so, the three of them ran as fast they could to the dojang. A girl dragging a taller boy by his collar with a younger boy following behind. When they reached the dojang, they were 5 minutes late. This was not a good first impression. They were heaving and breathing deeply as they changed into their uniform and sat in the sitting stance near the entrance of the dojang. They had to wait for the master's instruction to come in. Everyone else was already warming up inside.

After a few minutes, the door was opened by a younger student. The three of them lined up at the side of the class and waited to be acknowledged by Master Kim.

"I hope that next time you won't be late to my class. I am normally not a person who tolerates lateness but as it is our first lesson together, I shall let it go. But I must say I am disappointed that the seniors in this class would be late," said a stern voice. It was Master Kim. He was a tall and strong man in his forty's. He looked at the three of them with a strict yet calm look.

"I'm extremely sorry, Master Kim," replied Eun Chae in a formal tone. "It won't happen again."

"It better not happen again. I have a very strict training schedule and I can't afford for people to be late and waste time," he said.

"Yes, we're sorry," the three of them said at the same time, bowing at exactly 90 degrees.

"Alright. Join the rest of the students in line," said Master Kim firmly. The three of them dashed over to the line and positioned themselves according to their rank. Eun Chae was one of the best in the class and had a Il dan rank (first degree black belt). Donghae and Taemin were both one rank beneath her. Considering Taemin was only in his 3rd year of junior high, he was exceptionally good at taekwondo.

It was at that moment that they heard the door open and a certain figure came in. He was out of breath and wearing his uniform messily. "I'm sorry Appa, I got lost" said the boy. The boy turned to look at three other faces staring at him. Two of them, he recognised as his classmates. And one of them, he recognised as the pretty girl he bumped into earlier. He smiled.

"I know you two. You're in my class," he said. 

It was Jonghyun.

Eun Chae and Donghae were both surprised. They would have never expected Jonghyun to be the type of person who did taekwondo, let alone the fact that he was Master Kim's son!

"Jonghyun! Hurry up and join the line," said Master Kim angrily, furious that his own son was late. Jonghyun immediately joined the line of students. He stood next to Eun Chae and smiled at her.

Eun Chae noticed that he was an Ee dan rank (second degree black belt). "He's a higher rank than me?! What?" she thought.

"Annyeong," Jonghyun said to Eun Chae, looking at her.

"Hi," Eun Chae replied, trying to sound like she didn't care. 

"Well, let's start the first lesson with something interesting. Pick a partner and spar. The first person to be hit will be out. Then you'll keep on sparring with other people. The last two people can then spar so we can decide a winner.  Let's make this a little competition," said Master Kim. "Let's start. Everyone pair up."

Donghae and Eun Chae immediately paired up. Taemin paired up with his friend who was also the same rank as him. Eun Chae noticed Jonghyun pairing with a girl who had the same rank as her. Eun Chae and Donghae bowed to each other and then got into the sparring stance. "Start!" Master Kim shouted.

Eun Chae and Donghae both circled each other, waiting for one of them to attack. Eun Chae went in for a punch and kick combination. Donghae blocked both and returned a side kick to Eun Chae. She dodged it and retreated back. They circled each other once again. Eun Chae went in for a punch which was blocked with Donghae. However, at the speed of lightning, she had went in for a spinning hook kick. It hit Donghae right on the side of his face.

"What? No way!" cried Donghae as he rubbed his face. Eun Chae was powerful for a girl. "Heh, you can't beat me, Donghae," replied Eun Chae proudly.

The same process repeated with the other students. Taemin had beaten his friend and was whizzing through the other students. Eun Chae was also beating everyone. When Taemin and Eun Chae had sparred together, It was a strong match. However Eun Chae was the higher rank, so she beat him.

It was the finals and Eun Chae's opponent was none other than Jonghyun. The two of them stood at the front of the dojang while the rest of the class was sitting at the back. Donghae and Taemin were both smiling and giving the thumbs up to Eun Chae. They knew she was strong. Jonghyun was smiling at the fact that he was opponent was Eun Chae. Although he knew she was strong from watching her spar out of the corner of his eyes, he didn't expect the top student in the class to be a girl.

"Alright, let's do this properly like a real competition. The first person to three points will win," announced Master Kim. "Jonghyun and Eun Chae, get ready." Eun Chae and Jonghyun both bowed to each other and positioned themselves into the sparring stance. "Start!" yelled Master Kim.

The two of them began circling each together. They were both oblivious to each other's fighting style and was being cautious. Eun Chae went in for a punch and Jonghyun blocked it. He returned it with a crescent kick. His posture was perfect. Eun Chae was surprised and she got hit.

"One point to Jonghyun," declared Master Kim. Taemin frowned and began shouting "Noona fighting!"  Eun Chae smiled and gave two thumbs up. "Okay, get into stance."

The two of them got into stance and this time, Eun Chae went in immediately. She did a back kick which was barely blocked by Jonghyun. He stumbled and Eun Chae went in for a punch. It hit Jonghyun's face perfectly.

"OUCH!" he screamed.  He began touching his face, feeling for signs of bruises. Eun Chae tried to supress a smile.

They continued for another 10 minutes. It was long match considering they were both extremely good at sparring. Jonghyun and Eun Chae finally tied and were competing for the last point. Eun Chae and Jonghyun were both being careful and were keeping a distance away from each other. Jonghyun went in for a punch but it was blocked by Eun Chae. She returned with a high front kick. Although her posture and speed was excellent, it was blocked by Jonghyun.

Suddenly, Eun Chae had a thought. She feinted a punch and Jonghyun was deceived. He did a block motion but when he realised it was a feint, he was too late. Eun Chae immediately went in for a roundhouse kick which hit Jonghyun in the side of his stomach.

The class broke out into a fit of cheers. "Yay!" Eun Chae screamed. Jonghyun looked absolutely shocked as he rubbed his stomach. "Congratulations to Eun Chae!" announced Master Kim. He grabbed Eun Chae's hand and raised it up. Everyone applauded. "This will be enough for today. See you tomorrow!"

Donghae and Taemin raced over to Eun Chae and hugged her. "Good job, Noona!" said Taemin, smiling. "I knew you could do it!"

"Yeah, good job! Our Eun Chae is so strong," teased Donghae as he tousled Eun Chae's hair. She smiled and looked up to Donghae. The three of them went out of the dojang and headed off to celebrate.

Jonghyun stood there and watched the three of them walk off. "I wonder what their relationship is," he thought as he stared at Donghae joking around and laughing with Eun Chae.

 

A/N: I don't know a thing about taekwondo! I had to research it. If I wrote it incorrectly or used the terms inaccurately, I'm so sorry!!!