Blind Love

Broken Melody

Note: Some of you may have read this one before on my previous account. Just thought that I'll upload it anyway since it's in my stash that I recently unearthed under a bunch of other data. I have made minimal edits and I will not attempt to do more in the near future, so do expect a less professional/Kuroba-sounding story. It was one of my amateur works, after all.

 

Angst

Eyes - Gakupo, Len, Kaito (Vocaloid)

Jonghyun and Key

~Jonghyun’s POV~

Darkness had covered the entire city, slowly pulling it down into a sleeping condition. The moon hung in a crescent angle, with stars scattered across the entire sky.

The sound of something hitting against another object echoed once more in my empty room.

I heard it again. I swear it wasn’t my illusion.

I wasn’t alone anymore.
I got cautious; slowly pushing away the final documents I had to sign off to the side and stood up from my leather chair, gazing around. I’d always lived alone, so it was impossible and unreasonable for someone to be in my house.

I paced around the place gently, trying to find a suitable weapon to defend myself.

Then I realized.

I had got so used to the darkness, that I hardly bothered to turn the lights on. It was a disadvantage for me as I could hardly see anything now as my brain clouded up.

A sharp, ear piercing sound ripped through the night, causing me to react quickly.

It was glass shattering. It was nearby, too. Getting even more worried, I slowly walked to the source of the sound, my breathing and heart racing faster and faster. My hand trailed up to the wall, flicking at the switch that was attached to the wall. The room immediately brightened.

A figure was there, in my living room, rummaging through the cupboards and drawers. He looked up, his face covered, though I could faintly see him smiling. Was he so confident?
I ran up to him, prepared to fight. He too, got ready in his fighting position.

 

Finally, I grabbed onto his collar and began pushing him towards the wall. I had forgotten that the wall was full of glass that was yet to replace my windows, but I couldn’t think more. Suddenly, my body was swung out.

It happened.

I smashed my head against the glass, too shocked to even close my eyes, which was obviously a stupid move. Specks of glass flew into my eyes before I squeezed my eyes shut – bad move. The culprit chuckled before running out the open window and disappearing.

This was it.

Welcome to the world of darkness.

 

Jonghyun had expected better, though the doctor’s reports pushed him back into the pit of despair. Or, maybe ‘darkness’ would suit the word better.

You won’t be able to see, Mr. Kim. Unless, of course, someone donates you their cornea.

Won’t be able to see.

What was life to be in the future without colors, or simply just…images?

He wanted to scream, shout and let out all his anger. But he didn’t. There was no point – since he couldn’t see anyway and there was simply nothing he could do about it.

Day by day, he stayed in the hospital room and laid on his bed, listening to the sounds that surrounded him. He realized that if he paid attention, he could hear so many more things than he could hear before.

Then he met him.

His voice was so alluring, so attractive that it had him hooked in a matter of seconds. They started out as strangers, before slowly developing into friends, good friends, and finally, lovers.

His lover had unlocked the locket in his heart.

Coincidentally, his name was Key.

His laugh made Jonghyun’s day every single time. Every kiss was beautiful, every touch was treasured.
“What do you look like, Key?” Jonghyun asked one day as his hand slowly covered Key’s.
“It’s not important, is it?” Key smiled. “You might run away from me once you see my face.”
“If only I could see…”

“Jonghyun, it’s not that bad…you’ll be able to see someday.” Key reassured him.

‘What do you look like?” Jonghyun asked again.

“Why do you want to know so badly?” Key frowned.
“Because I’m your lover, I have the right to know.”
“Idiot…” Key chuckled softly. “How about this? Once a cornea that suits you is operated onto you, I’ll send you a letter and you can see what I looked like, okay?”
“Why a letter though? Can’t you just come up to me?”
“I have my reasons.” Key smiled wryly.

 

“Are you 100% sure that you will not be receiving treatment, Mr. Kim?” The doctor asked Key and sighed.
“There’s no use, is there? I mean, the chances of me living are only as small as 10%...”
“But we still should give it a try! You know how advanced the technology is right now? The percentage might even be larger than that!”
Key shook his head again.
“I would like you to re-consider this, Mr. Kim.”
“You said the same thing last week. I repeat my final decision – I won’t be taking any treatment.”
“But-”
“You’re quite clear yourself, aren’t you? It’s not any normal cancer…It’s terminal now. There’s no possible way of treating it anymore.”
“There is a new way, so if you just…”
“I have a request, doctor. Will you please…”

 

“Jonghyun!” Key rushed into the hospital room where Jonghyun was.
“Key?”
“I have some good news! The doctor said that they’ve found a suitable cornea for you!”
“Really? Does that mean I’ll be able to see you now?”
“Yes.” Key smiled and sat down by the chair beside Jonghyun’s bed.
“That’s so great! I can’t wait to see you!” Jonghyun smiled.
“Remember what I said? I’ll give you a letter, and there’ll be a photo of me inside.”
“Why are you so persistent about that?”
“Because that’s who I am.” Key smiled before his eyelids drooped over his eyes.

 

Later in the week, Jonghyun’s operation was scheduled. He hadn’t seen Key at all for the week, but he was sure to find him once he recovers his sight.
“Doctor, who donated their cornea to me?” Jonghyun asked before the sleeping medicine kicked in.
“They wanted to keep themselves anonymous, but since the person is no longer alive…I guess it won’t be a trouble to tell you.”
“No longer alive? What happened to them?”
“He was a guy…you know him too.”

Jonghyun felt uneasy all of a sudden. Was it because of the sleeping medicine?
“His name was Kim Kibum. He had passed away just recently because of cancer. We couldn’t do anything about it…” The doctor said before he realized the situation that he was in.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Kim. We should begin now.”

 

During the operation, Jonghyun’s mind whirled.

It felt like there was no longer anything left pulling him down onto the earth.

What was the point of living?

His lover…his key…was no longer alive. His new cornea was Key’s. He felt uneasy.

Why hadn’t he told him?

He regretted not doing anything for him at all.

Key…I’m so sorry…I love you…

 

“He left a letter for you.” The doctor handed him a snow white envelope before stepping out of the room, closing the door behind him.

Jonghyun held the light letter in his hand, though it felt like a thousand tons. He slowly tore the envelope open.

Inside, was nothing but a blank photograph. You couldn’t see anything part from white. Jonghyun slowly turned the photograph around, anxious.

On it was a line of words and nothing else.

Don’t think about my appearance anymore, Jonghyun. The next person you fall in love with, would be what I look like.
I love you.
Key.