A Hero, No More

Broken Melody

Note: This was originally written up for my English creative writing assignment (which I fortunately received a good mark on), and there was a world limit of 1000 words, so the story ends quite abruptly. I may or may not be writing more to it, depending on how everything goes. Additionally, I've noticed that this the third angst story in a row, so I promise to get a fluff/lighter mood one up soon.

Angst

Song: Tsuna Kakusei

Character: Jonghyun

Extra: Alternative universe and slightly fantasy.

 

Jonghyun found himself walking down the familiar street he had always ran down when he was a child. He wasn’t running while playing with his friends, however. He was running away from the debt collectors that were after him when they couldn’t find his parents. Sometimes he would get lucky and manage to escape from them, but majority of the time, he was bet up to the point where he found himself lying on the ground for a couple of days, unconscious. Everyone that lived that area had difficulty supporting their family – let alone help treat a random, bet up kid on the street. When he returned home after a couple of days being unconscious on the streets, his parents would take one look at him and continue doing whatever they were doing. No one cared about his injuries, and no one asked if he was okay or not. It felt like yesterday when he had left home to fight for the king, and even so, he still remembered the details of his childhood clearly.

Jonghyun chuckled darkly to himself as he found the house that he had once lived in. Almost at once, all the bad memories returned to him, replaying over and over like a broken film. He shook them off quite quickly, reminding himself why he was there. Stop thinking, he thought to himself.

He pulled the door open effortlessly, dust sprinkling down and cobwebs destroyed with one simple tug. The house looked rundown just like he had expected. The living conditions of his parents had obviously worsened since he left. He took a step back and took a glance at the windows; they were shattered and were poorly repaired with pieces of wood. 
“I’m home,” he called out softly. He wasn’t anticipating for a reply, though. Silence greeted him before he stepped inside. Papers and litter were scattered across the floor. The furniture was all broken – some missing a leg and some just snapped in half. Jonghyun frowned. Even if his parents did have a poor living condition, it seemed almost inhumane for someone to live in such a place.

He walked around the house slowly, dodging debris and making sure not to step on the broken glass as he did so. A small sound echoed through the almost quiet room, making him react almost in a split second. His hand found its way to the grip of the sword as he prepared himself. The experience he had acquired from the war made him alarmed at times. He took a step quietly, making sure that no one could hear him.

Suddenly, a scream ripped through the air, smashing the silence he had tried so hard to maintain. Before he knew it, he was running towards the source of the scream. He kicked open the door that was in his way, only to have a devastating sight appear before him.

 It felt as if time had slowed down from the moment he kicked the door down. A blade moved through the air, descending quickly. Before Jonghyun could react, the sword plunged through flesh, instantly ripping a large, gaping hole in whoever’s body it had penetrated. Blood poured out instantly, splattering all across the blade and staining the floor. Blood. Crimson red…blood.

Jonghyun was speechless. Stunned. Devastated.

His mother held out her hand weakly towards him, blood pouring out of her wound that was located just below her chest and trickling down the corner of at the same time. 
“Jong…hyun…” she called out weakly as she pressed her other hand against her wound as a feeble attempt to stop the bleeding. Jonghyun unsheathed his sword and held it in front of him, forming a protection. Cold sweat trickled down his forehead as he bit down onto his lips.

He hadn’t expected for this to happen. He didn’t know what was going on, and what he should to help his mother. Better yet, he wasn’t even sure if he should help her or not.

His focus immediately returned when yet another deafening scream echoed through the air. The blade had once again being swung, but this time aiming at a different place. The screaming was instantly cut off as the blade passed through his mother’s neck, stopping once it lodged between the flesh. The blade was removed with one strong tug, but it was quickly buried into the neck once more. This time, a loud snap echoed through the air as the blade passed through the neck cleanly, bringing along any remaining pieces of whatever connected the head to the body. Jonghyun immediately felt sick inside. The head disconnected from the body, rolling onto the floor, followed the body crumbling onto the floor. He could feel a pair of piercing eyes glaring at him and he had thought it came from the open eyes of the head.

But he was wrong.

He gasped once he realized what was going on. He diverted his attention from the headless corpse to the man that was standing beside it, holding a blade that dripped with fresh blood.

It was his father.

 A smile hung on his father’s face, his head tilted slightly to the side as his eyes were fixed onto the corpse before him. It felt as if he was admiring a piece of artwork – a piece of artwork that he had created. 

“Ha…haha…” The man suddenly started to laugh like a maniac when he lifted a hand and pointed at the body. “Hahahaha!” His laugh got louder as he tilted his head backwards. Jonghyun knew instantly that his father had gone mad. What other word could there be to describe his state now?
“Father!” Jonghyun shouted, his voice radiated with disbelief as he pointed his sword at his father. “Do you know what you’ve just done?”

The man stopped laughing as he turned to look at Jonghyun, a dumbfounded, confused look hanging on his face.

“What have I just done?” he repeated like a parrot that didn’t understand what was going. “Why…I killed her, that’s all.” he said matter-of-factly while he swung the blade around, drips of blood landing on the wall and on his face. He brought the blade up to his face and off the remaining traces of blood on it before his lips. Blood lust radiated off him, and he felt just as dangerous as a hunter stalking its prey. 
“Now…” The man turned around slowly, dragging the last note of the word as he did so. He pointed the blade towards Jonghyun. “You’re next.” he whispered dangerously.