o-8

dark-light

 

e i g h t ;

 

 

“I think you do know that Chang Soon is unhappy with you because you took out one of his men.”

 

Dong Jun held his leader’s gaze steadily. “I do.”

 

Jun Young sighed and crossed his arms across his chest.

 

“This is not a team-attack anymore. He’s targeting you specifically.”

 

“And I have no problem with that,” the younger guy replied coolly.

 

Jun Young simply stared at him. The other guys around him were either looking away uncomfortably or paying close attention towards the conversation. But each one of them wears an equally grave expression – proving just how tensed the situation actually was.

 

“We’ll always have your back, I think you know that. But I can’t promise you, just exactly what he’s planning for you. You know the things he’s capable of.”

 

Subconsciously, both of his fists were already balled up by the sides as Dong Jun levelled his hyung with a glare.

 

“Just come out with it, hyung. I know what you’re trying to say.”

 

Jun Young shrugged. “I didn’t mean anything, Dong Jun.”

 

He couldn’t hold it back any longer. Not that he didn’t respect his team’s leader, but his emotions probably got the better of him. Anger flared up in him as those disturbing thoughts sank in his mind – as the truth dawned upon him.

 

He was aware. He was aware of the risks involved; but to know that there was another person thinking about it – just confirmed his worst suspicions of coming true.

 

He was afraid.

 

And Dong Jun deals with his fear using his fists.

 

He would’ve probably landed an unwanted punch on Jun Young’s face, if his other members hadn’t stepped forward to stop him.

 

Jun Young held up both hands in defense. “Dong Jun, take it easy! It’s me.”

 

“Why won’t you just say it?” he spat out, still held tightly in Minwoo’s and Hyungshik’s clutch. “That her life is in danger because of me. That they will use her just to get to me!”

 

The room grew silent. Eerily silent. The only thing that could be heard was their deep, heavy breathings – as each one of them shudders at the thought that didn’t need to be spoken out loud.

 

It was precisely why, they never let their guards down. It was why, they’ve learnt not to care about anything and anyone, except for themselves.

 

But Dong Jun failed. He failed to keep up with the facade he’s put on all these while. He failed his life purpose when he had knocked into Tae Eun that day. He failed to stay strong.

 

He let his guard down. He allowed himself to fall in love. He allowed himself to care about someone else. He allowed his heart to let her into his life – his dark, lonely life.

 

And now, she was the one who has to pay the price of his selfishness.

 

Is this love?

 

Is love supposed to be selfish?

 

He shook the two guys off him and stormed away before any of them could say a word of protest.

 

Grabbing his keys from the table, he walked out of the warehouse and closed the door behind him with a deafening slam.

 

 

 

 

Tae Eun was just enjoying another quiet night on her own, curled up on the two-seater sofa with a new book in her hands. Da Rae was out, as usual, and she knew her new house-mate would most likely be home late.

 

So when the doorbell rang at 9pm, Tae Eun frowned as she put her book down and got up from the couch before walking over towards the door.

 

Maybe she forgot something, she thought to herself and pulled open the door without checking the peep-hole.

 

Her eyes widened in surprise when she saw Dong Jun standing in front of her, with a solemn expression on his face. Two helmets were dangling on his arm and he had his favourite black leather jacket on – the one he wears when he’s out for a long ride.

 

“Uh, hi,” Tae Eun managed a small smile. She didn’t know what to make out of his mood, so she was trying to be careful with her words. “What...brought you here? I thought – “

 

Without even giving her the chance to finish her sentence, he had already grabbed her wrist and started pulling her along.

 

“Wait, wait...” she tried to say as she scrambled reached out her hand to close the door behind her. “Where are we going? I should get my – 

 

Dong Jun wouldn’t have any of it. He kept dragging her along, and alas – Tae Eun had to let herself being led away by him to who knows where.

 

 

 

 

She watched him with careful eyes as he leaned over the bridge, with arms crossed on the railing and gaze thrown far across the distance. He hadn’t spoken a word since they’ve pulled to a stop about 15 minutes ago and it was worrying her.

 

He was worrying her.

 

Tae Eun her lips nervously. “Are you...okay?”

 

No reply.

 

Quietly, she took a step closer towards him and placed a hand on his forearm tentatively. He glanced down at her hand for a brief moment, and she took that as a good sign.

 

“Have I done anything to upset you?”

 

He lifted up his eyes to meet her gaze. She could see them softening instantly.

 

“No,” he finally spoke up, in a small, quiet voice. “It has nothing to do with you.”

 

“Talk to me.”

 

He tore his gaze away from her and faced the front once again. “I’ve never said this before. To you, or to anyone. Ever.”

 

Tae Eun held her breath. “Say what?”

 

For a moment, neither of them moved. She stared at him from the side, while he kept his attention on the vast dark sky up above them.

 

Then, he started to turn towards her – very slowly and reached up to cup her face with both hands.

 

She stood still, unable to move as her feet were solidly frozen to the ground. She bit her bottom lip hard as he carefully tuck a strand of hair behind her ear and gazed deep into her eyes.

 

At that exact moment, Tae Eun felt everything she’s never felt before. The kind of love she’s been lacking, the kind of love she’s been unconsciously searching for – the eternal soul-mate she didn’t know shared a part of her life... it was him.

 

Without a doubt, she knew that it was Kim Dong Jun.

 

“I love you,” he whispered, in a voice so low that it was only for her ears to hear.

 

Before she could utter her feelings back, he was already leaning in his face close to hers; and Tae Eun closed her eyes, just as he pressed his lips against hers in the gentlest sensation she has ever experienced.

 

It was her first kiss – he was her first love; but she knew and she wanted him to be the last and his kiss to be the only one she’ll ever feel.

 

After awhile, Dong Jun was the first to pull away but now, she could see the small smile tugging at the corner of his lips. He took both of her hands in his as she tried to put on a calm expression, but she knew that he could see how furiously she was blushing.

 

“I promise you...” he said softly. “...that I will do whatever it takes to keep you safe. And I won’t let them get to you.”

 

Tae Eun nodded numbly. She wanted to say something, but she felt as though she had already lost her voice temporarily within her. Her soul, was probably flying off somewhere too.

 

Dong Jun pulled her in again, but this time – for a very tender kiss on her forehead, the kind of kiss that will last in her memory for as long as she breathes.