o-2

dark-light

 

t w o ;

 

 

Se Mi had left the shop in her care before she had to rush off for something urgent, reminding Tae Eun to lock everything up before she goes home.

 

It wasn’t the first time Tae Eun had been handed the responsibility, thus she has no problem being left alone. Well, Da Rae was supposed to help her – but Tae Eun knows that her co-worker would rather take advantage of Se Mi’s absence, than staying behind and do the closing.

 

It was quarter past ten, when Tae Eun started to lock up the doors. It was also at that time, that she heard footsteps coming from behind her and she let out a small sigh.

 

“I’m sorry,” she said without turning around. “We are already closed for the day. Perhaps you can come tomorrow.”

 

“Uh, I didn’t come by to buy any flowers,” a male’s voice spoke up, clearing his throat a little.

 

Tae Eun whirled around in surprise. There, stood a guy, not much older than she was, scratching the back of his head sheepishly as he shoved his other hand into his jeans front pocket.

 

“Can I help you?” she asked uncertainly and started to stand up slowly.

 

There was a moment of awkward silence, before he mumbled something that missed Tae Eun’s ear.

 

“I’m sorry, what did you say?”

 

He finally lifted up his head, giving her a clearer view of his handsome boyish face – which seemed to be squirming uncomfortably.

 

“Sorry,” he muttered again, this time slightly audible than earlier.

 

Tae Eun’s face was creased with confusion. She didn’t think she has met the stranger before, so why was he suddenly apologizing to her?

 

 “Sorry? What are you sorry for?”

 

Letting out an exasperated sigh, he said, “I was the one who had knocked into you earlier. I saw you fell down and well – “

 

Ah,” Tae Eun’s face brightened when realisation hits her. “So that was you. I see your conscience is pricking on you.”

 

He held up both hands defensively. “Look, it was an accident, okay? And I would’ve helped you...if only I wasn’t occupied with something else.”

 

Tae Eun crossed her arms across her chest and gave him an amused smile. “Well, I’m usually particular about people who have no manners...” She saw his face fell. “...but, since you took the time to come back here and apologise, I guess...apology accepted?”

 

He looked confused for a moment. “Well, I don’t usually apologise too so you really should consider yourself – “ but he stopped himself when he realised that he may have said too much. Seeing how Tae Eun’s eyes had grown wider, he quickly said, “I-I really shouldn’t have come here. Just...sorry.”

 

He shook his head, and started to walk away – leaving Tae Eun standing there alone, trying to digest what had just happened.

 

He had come to the shop, after closing time, just to apologise to her because he didn’t get the chance to do so earlier. But suddenly, for no apparent reason, he got sensitive and retracted back his words?

 

And this is probably why, I don’t have a boyfriend, she thought to herself. Yet.

 

 

~

 

 

Dum di dum...” Tae Eun hummed to herself while she was walking back home that night, earpiece plugged into her two ears, lost in her own world.

 

Her steps were light, as she bopped her head side to side, following the rhythm of the song. Even if someone was to shout at her at that moment, or press their car honk for many times – she would just simply continue walking.

 

That was most likely why, she didn’t realise that someone was following close behind her, keeping a safe distance so that he wouldn’t be caught.

 

 

 

 

Kim Dong Jun didn’t know why he was doing it though. After that embarrassing conversation he had with her earlier, it was probably best for him to just stay away. Forever.

 

But instead, he had hidden himself well in a nearby shop, and waited until she walked past him.

 

And when she did, he found his two feet following her automatically – like it was the most natural thing to do.

 

Finally, after walking about a few miles from the florist shop, Dong Jun found himself shaking his head disapprovingly at her casual self. She was taking things too lightly and not being aware of her surroundings at all. For a girl like her, to be walking alone at night, especially at times like this, taking whatever shortcuts that she could find – she was being too carefree for her own interests.

 

Still, he continued to tail her quietly from behind.

 

At least, until he accidentally stepped on an empty can which was lying on the ground.

 

 

 

 

Tae Eun pressed the pause button on her mp3 player, just about to change to the next song – when she heard the creaking sound.

 

She froze in her tracks, and slowly turned around as she took the earpiece off. Her eyes widened in surprise.

 

She couldn’t believe what she was seeing; or rather, who.

 

 

 

 

“I’m not a stalker!” he blurted out before she could utter a single word out. “I just – “

 

“Happened to be taking the same route as me?” She finished for him, and he could see her smirking slightly.

 

Dong Jun exhaled loudly and placed his hand on his hip. “Are you always like this?”

 

“Like how?” she asked as she started to walk closer towards him. Dong Jun remained frozen on his spot though, his lips a little nervously.

 

“You know it’s dangerous for a girl like you to be walking alone like this,” he replied in a loud voice, trying to show her how serious he was actually about the whole thing. “And you were not even paying attention to your surrounding.”

 

She shot him a look of disbelief, yet that teasing smile never left her face.

 

“Are you seriously, scolding me? After causing me to fall down, and then not apologising about it?”

 

“Hey, I did – “

 

“Which you took back.” She reminded him. “You took back your apology.”

 

“I didn’t!”

 

She raised an eyebrow. “Yes, you did.”

 

“Look, I think you’ve got this all wrong,” Dong Jun tried to explain. “I was saying, I don’t usually apologise to other people over trivial matters like that – “

 

“Excuse me?”

 

He blinked his eyes for a couple of times. “What?”

 

“Trivial matters? When you knock into someone, accidental or not, you’re supposed to apologise. That’s basic courtesy!”

 

“Yes, but – “

 

“And why are you following me now?”

 

He opened his mouth to answer, only to close it a second later.

 

“I don’t know,” he said truthfully.

 

“You’re weird,” she scoffed, but she was still smiling. And it bugged Dong Jun. Why was she always smiling, even in situations like this?

 

“But charming,” she added on, with a small grin. “In a way.”

 

He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Just minutes ago, she was reprimanding him because of his manners. And now, she said that he was charming?

 

“You’re worried about me, aren’t you,” she continued on when he didn’t say anything else. Without waiting, she started to walk again, with that light bouncy steps of hers. Unknowingly, Dong Jun started to fall in step beside her.

 

“I’m not.”

 

“Yes, you are. Or you wouldn’t have waited, and then following me discreetly from behind. You like me, don’t you.”

 

And she wasn’t even asking. She was putting it all out in statement forms.

 

“I don’t.”

 

She laughed. A joyful, melodious laugh.

 

And it made him smile inside.

 

“Oh! I’m Tae Eun, by the way. What’s your name?”

 

Tae Eun. Dong Jun mentally said out her name, as if trying to lock it inside his memory. He didn’t want to forget it, and he doubt that he will.

 

He didn’t respond straight away though.

 

It was dangerous, letting her into his world. How could he even think about it? Why was he even doing this? Why didn’t he just walk away when he had the chance to?

 

What  was seriously going on in his mind when he decided to follow her?

 

But as he stared at her round, doe eyes, waiting patiently for him to tell her his name, he felt something inside of him melting at the sight of her hopeful face.

 

“Call me, Jun,” he said at last.