o-1

dark-light

o n e ;

 

 

 

Tae Eun would like to think that for every encounter with a person, there is a reason behind it. For every path that is crossed, there is a fate which had been written down. For two strangers, to become friends. For two friends, to become close acquaintances.

 

And from there, you will decide which route you would like to take. The choices you make, the people you let into your life, the decisions you choose and the promises you’ll have to fulfil.

 

Life, is all about taking chances. You’ll never know, unless you try.

 

~

 

For Lee Tae Eun though, she doesn’t have many choices to begin with. Ever since she started breathing, her chance at happiness had been taken away cruelly. Her mother, who she never had the chance to call ‘eomma’ departed right after giving birth to her.

 

She, whose father had been killed during his job, was left in the care of her aged grandparents – who took care and poured every bit of love they have on her.

 

Tae Eun was happy though, because there were still people who cared about her. She, was an easy child, who never once complained why her classmates’ mothers and fathers could drop by for Parents Day, whiles she, could only watch quietly from the back of the class.

 

At the age of 9, she lost her grandmother due to heart failure.

 

Still, she remained strong.

 

For her harabeoji.

 

~

 

When she reached the blooming age of 17 years old, Tae Eun found herself working in a florist shop while she saved money in order to continue her studies in college. On top of that, she has to take care of her grandfather who was regularly falling sick because of his poor health.

 

Still, she never complained.

 

Every morning, she would come to work with a bright smile on her face – much to her boss’ pleasure.

 

Just like on that particular Wednesday spring morning.

 

“Hello!” her cheery voice rang out loud and clear as she entered the shop with a plastic bag in one hand. “I’ve brought some breakfast for you!”

 

The shop’s owner, a lady not much older than Tae Eun was, looked up expectantly from her paperwork when she heard the door’s jingling sound.

 

“Oh, hello to you too,” Se Mi greeted her in an equally cheerful tone. “What do you have there with you?”

 

Tae Eun skipped over to where her boss was seating and placed the bag on the table.

 

“Boiled rice with chicken stew and some kimchi I’ve made the other day. I know you haven’t had your breakfast yet.”

 

Se Mi smiled gratefully at her.

 

“Thank you, Tae Eun-ah. I’ll eat this later, after I’m done with this.”

 

“Okay. So, is there any delivery that you need me to do today?”

 

Nah,” Se Mi shook her head. “Da Rae’s coming in today, so she’ll be in charge of delivery. You just need to stay in the shop and attend to the customers, like usual.”

 

Tae Eun grinned. “Sounds good to me.”

 

~

 

Spring is probably her favourite season ever. Aside from inhaling the fresh scent of  the blossoming flowers of various colours, the calm and tranquillity of the weather is also something that Tae Eun finds comfort in.

 

Spring, is how she remembers her mother, even though she’s never met her before.

 

“Thank you,” she bowed down at a middle-aged woman, who had just purchased a basket full of lilies, daisies and tulips. She had single-handedly helped the customer picked out the flowers. “Please come again.”

 

Tae Eun smiled to herself as she watched the customer walked away. She felt pleased with herself by already making big sales just during the first half of the day.

 

It was definitely a good sign.

 

Just as she was to head back inside the shop, she noticed one of the stalks was sticking out of place. She started to bend over, hand already reached out to fix it, when she felt something hard knocking into her by the side.

 

It caused her to lose her balance, and she dropped to the ground flat on her bottom.

 

But the thing...no, the person who had accidentally bumped into her, didn’t even stop to check if she was okay. He didn’t even glance behind or uttered a quick sorry, and just simply ran past her at lightning speed.

 

Tae Eun glared at the back of the person’s head, muttering incoherent words under her breath as she stood up on her two feet slowly.

 

“Really, what’s so difficult about saying sorry? It’s not like I’m asking for anything much.”

 

As if he had heard her, the guy turned around at the same time and shot her a look. Tae Eun couldn’t get a clear glimpse of his face or his expression, but he did stared at her for a brief second, before turning back around and gained back his speed.

 

Only then did she realised, he was actually chasing after someone.