Baby Don't Cry

Just Listen

---Yin's POV---

The door clicked shut and I fell on my knees, breaking into a string of strangled sobs.

It happened... again. I felt like the most worthless thing on earth. I felt like a monster. Why was I born on earth? I am only a burden to people. I'm not even worth the time to look at. All I do, is cause trouble.

The images of what just happened imprinted on the back of my eyelids as I shut my eyes, trying to keep them out. They were frightened, terrified even. The guy I yelled at probably hates me. The nurse I threw the book at will probably spread even more nasty rumors about me.

But then... there's the little blonde boy. Well, he's not little. He just has a little boy's looks. His eyes told a different story though. It told a story about different hardships he had to go through to get to where he was today.

His voice is what keeps echoing in my head. His 'hello' is on repeat, like a broken record. The warm smile he offered me flashed before eyes, and for a second, I felt okay.

I walked over to the now tattered book. It was opened, and faced upside down. There was a long tear on the paperback cover and a couple of pages had fallen out.

I picked it up slowly and slipped the pages in to their correct spots.

I sat on my bed and laid down, dropping the book next to me. What do I do now?

Suddenly, I sat up, causing the book to slide off my bed and fall back on the floor. I stood up, stumbling a little from the quick movement and maneuvered over to the side table.

My clumsy self slipped on the book and reached out for the desk, only to hold on to the tray of food I hadn't finished, flipping it over and getting the cold soup and stale noodles everywhere.

Pain shot through my knees in waves, but I scrambled up and opened the drawer as if my life depended in it, and it did.

Opening it, I saw that it was empty. My heart dropped to my stomach when I realized that the nurse probably took it out.

There was a blade in there. It was never used, don't ask me where I got it from. I may be mental, but I'm not stupid.

The nurse probably found it and hid it away. But, what the nurse didn't know, was that I had another one.

I got up again, stepping around the mess I made and headed towards the bathroom. I opened the first drawer, only to find that it wasn't in there. Then the second drawer, which didn't have it. My heart throbbed as I opened the third, and last drawer, praying that it was in there.

I opened it, and went through a couple of new shampoo bottles and toothpaste boxes. Smiling a little, I found it, hidden all the way at the bottom.

I picked up the flawless blade that was never used before. I held it in front of my eyes and examined it.

I read many times in books that cutting helps to numb the pain away. I've never tried it, but there's a first time for everything.

My finger ran over the sharp edge, sending goosebumps up my arm. Slowly, I placed the blade on my wrist, and started to apply pressure, until...

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

---Luhan's POV---

The nurse calmed down and promised not to tell anyone what just happened. Tao left to go back with the other members outside, and I snuck back to Yin's room.

Slowly, I opened the door, to find it surprisingly empty. I looked at her messy, unmade bed, and saw the mess of noodles and what looked like spilled soup on the ground. What happened in here?

I got a little scared. What happened to her? Did she go crazy after the incident?

It was then, that I realized that the door she reached over for was opened. I heard something that sounded like slamming and slowly made my way to the door.

What I saw next, shocked me.

She held a blade in front of her face, as if examining it. Then she brought down her hand and the blade met her wrist. Right when I saw the muscles in her forearms flex a little, I said, "I would't do that if I were you."

Shocked, the girl jumped and the blade clattered to the ground. Right when she recognized me, her eyes glared at me.

"You aren't me," she mumbled, but I heard her loud and clear.

A smile graced my lips as I took a step forward. "I know. But it's not a very smart idea," I said, bending down to pick up the blade before she could do something stupid.

She stepped back toward the bath tub as if I was going to bite her.

"Who are you?" she asked, with a bit of an edge to it.

I smiled warmly at her. "My name is Luhan. And I'm a friend," I said sincerely.

Her eyes rounded before her eyebrows furrowed.

"Ha ha. You're very funny," she said, looking away, but I shook my head.

I turned serious though. "No. I'm telling the truth," I said.

She only stared at me. "Don't mock me Luhan," she said.

What surprised me was when she said my name. The way she said it was perfect. How her thin lips puckered a little, how melodic it sounded. It was different than just anyone saying.

"Are you okay?" she suddenly asked, but it was probably because I seemed to have zoned out.

Blinking, a nodded dumbly, which, to my surprise, she giggled. It also sounded melodic, like bells.

The girl pushed past me back into her room, so I followed her back. Silently, she went to the seat by the window and sat down, just staring outside.

I saw Lay and Chen singing and playing the guitar outside again. The little girls crowded around them with bashful smiles and admiring gazes. The boys were watching Lay play, amazed by his talent. Kris was pushing a little boy on the swings while Xiu Min was on the swing next to the little boy, and Tao was playing tag with some of the little boys.

Looking back at Yin, I saw her look outside with a longing gaze. She looked sad.

"Are you okay?" I asked her, snapping her out of her reverie. She flinched a little and looked back at me with a small smile.

"Yeah," she whispered. This girl, was different than the one that was going to slit her wrist five minutes ago. She's different than the one who threw the book at the nurse. This girl is the girl sitting at the window, reading a book like any normal girl with a complicated story.

She sighed and asked, "Are you guy doing some charity work or something?"

I bit my lip. "If that's how you want to put it. But I don't call it charity work. I call it being normal," I said. She looked at me funny.

"This is your idea of normal?" she asked, and I only nodded.

"Makes me wonder how your life is," she mumbles.

"I love my life. But sometimes, you want to get away from it all. You want to be normal, you want to have people treat you normal. And it seems the only people that treats me normally, are little kids," I said. She looked at me.

"Then how am I treating you?" she asked.

I chuckled. "A bit too normal," I said, "It seems that you don't like me."

Her expression didn't change, making me think my assumption was right.

"Mm.. I don't 'don't like you'," she said, "It's just........ weird."

"What's weird?" I asked.

"You," she answered.

---Yin's POV---

So, it's been a whole five minutes, and I'm still conversing with this strange man. There's a mixture of emotions in me. Shocked, happy, ecstatic, proud and relieved.

I'm relieved, that I'm somewhat normal. That there really are people out there that I can talk to.

He smiled when I called him weird.

"So, I'm weird and you're normal," he said.

I glanced at him, and he looked perfectly normal. He looked like he was living a perfect life, with his good looks, designer clothes and obviously dyed hair. I've read about the guy, who is super popular and gets gifts and girls. Maybe he's like that, and this is his way of escaping the girls...?

I smiled slightly and looked back out the window, ignoring his comment.

He sat on my bed and just... stared at me. It was starting to get really uncomfortable, so to distract myself, I played with my fingernails.

I heard him chuckle, but he didn't say anything else.

"So, how long have you been here?" he asked, breaking the awkward silence. I sighed, counting in my head, even though I knew the answer.

"About twelve years," I answered, sighing a little.

"Wow.. Really? It must've been lonely," he said quietly.

I smiled bitterly at that. "A little..." I trailed off.

"How old are you?" he questioned again. Him and his questions, man.

"I'm 19," I answered.

I saw his reflection slightly in the window, and his eyes widened.

"Really? I'm 23," he said, happy for some odd reason.

I puffed my cheeks. "You're old," I said.

There was a silence, until Luhan bursted into a fit of laughter. I looked at him weirdly, which only caused him to laugh harder.

"Are you going to be okay?" I asked.

Luhan tried stifling his laughter behind a clenched fist. Finally, after he calmed down, he said, "You're cute."

A deep blush stained my cheeks. How could he say something like that so easily?!

I noticed that the boys outside were getting up. The guitar-playing guy put his guitar in his case, then slung it around his torso. The guy from earlier looked around the playground, then his eyes landed in my direction, as if looking for something. Probably Luhan.

"Luhan," I said softly, kind of sad that he was leaving, "I think your friend is looking for you."

Luhan appeared by my side, and the guy looking in my direction locked gazes with Luhan.

After a moment of silence, Luhan sighed. "I've got to go now, Yin. But I'll come back tomorrow," he said.

He smiled at me, then left my room.

I don't recall telling him what my name was...

Surely enough, Luhan came back the next day with his friends. He smiled more and glanced in my direction.

I tried my best to not stand by the window. But every five minutes, I would find my way there again. I found myself going back to the window which I bid forbidden again.

To my surprise, Luhan was standing outside of my window, elbows resting on the window sill resting his chin on his palms. He blinked his big doey eyes and smiled. I couldn't help but smile at his dorkiness.

'HIIIII!' he mouthed through the window. I rolled my eyes and shook my head, but I was smiling.

Suddenly, he held up one finger, then ran off. After seeing him disappear into the building, I knew he was coming in. Not even a second later, Luhan appeared at my door.

"Hellooo Yin!" he greeted. I shook my head at his childishness and sat down.

He sat on my bed, just like yesterday and rocked back and forth. He was very... hyper today.

For a couple minutes, we just sat there staring at each other. Then he broke the silence, engulfing me into his conversation.

We talked for a while. Mostly about his friends and what I did in this lonely hospital room. We seemed to avoid any subject that consisted of our personal life. Well, his personal life, since I hardly had one.

We were once again surrounded in an awkward silence. My eyes trailed out the window, and landed on the guitar-playing guy.

"Luhan..." I chimed quietly. I didn't hear a response from him, but I knew he was listening. "How does that sound like?" I asked, staring at the muted scene.

Luhan walked next to me to see what I was talking about.

"Oh, that's a guitar. It has a really pretty sound, depending on how you play it. But Lay plays it very well," he answered.

I curiously watched as the guy Lay plucked each note delicately while singing with the guy next to him. "I wanna hear it," I whispered.

"Really? Are you sure?" he asked, slightly worried.

Suddenly, I wasn't so sure anymore. Sadness flooded me, and Luhan must've noticed, because he said, "Wait for a moment."

I felt a shot of hope fill me and I watched him with eager eyes. He walked out, then a minute later, he was outside, walking towards the guitar-playing guy.

They talked for a moment, then the guy looked at me. He looked very innocent. Not innocent like Luhan, because Luhan looks 12, but this guy looked more mature with a distant look I his eyes.

He suddenly smiled, revealing a dimple in his left cheek. I felt a blush pinch up my cheeks. He smiled. I looked at Luhan and he was beaming at me.

Both boys disappeared into the building, so I went to sit on my bed. A moment later, I heard them talking quietly outside of my door, and the door opened, revealing Luhan.

"Yin, meet Lay. Lay, this is Yin," Luhan introduced. I smiled shyly at him, and he stood there awkwardly, his dimple appearing again.

"Sit there," I offered, pointing the the chair by the window. He nodded and muttered a word of thanks before sitting down.

He looked nervous, plus he kept looking at Luhan. Lay cleared his throat awkwardly then glanced at me.

What I heard next left me speechless. I never knew something could sound so beautiful. When I heard the delicate plucks of whatever song Lay was playing, I wanted to cry.

This was one of the little things in life I was missing out on. Music. Knowing this, made me even more sad, because I realized I must be missing out on so much more.

Lay saw my depressed expression and stopped playing. He opened his mouth to say something, and Luhan appeared by my side.

"Yin, are you okay?" Luhan asked, worriedly.

I sniffled a little. "Why'd you stop playing?" I squeaked.

Both of the boys looked dumbstruck, then Luhan broke out into a proud grin. Lay seemed to relax a little more and continued playing.

Soon enough, he started singing. Lay's voice was very clear and sweet. I liked it. He suddenly sang a high note, making goosebumps form on my arms.

Luhan smiled at my reaction, then joined Lay, harmonizing perfectly. My eyebrows rose a little as I watched them sing. It was the most perfect thing I've ever heard. Tears started pooling in my eyes again. I felt like a blind man seeing the sun for the first time.

But, all good things never last.

After a few more minutes, the door opened. I flinched a little and turned to the culprit. It was the rest of Luhan's friends.

"So this is where you were," the guy with the cute, chubby cheeks said. But... his voice...

I felt my fists start to clench over the thin bed sheets. The hairs on the back of my neck rose and my toes curled. My heart started picking up it's pace.

The tall, blonde guy closed the door a little too harshly, making me jump, but I stayed calm. Or at least tried to.

I saw Luhan in the corner of my eye looking at me with worry. "Gege..." the guy that was with Luhan the other day whispered and pulled on the tall guy's sleeve.

My eyebrows furrowed as I stared at the ground. "Stop," I found myself whispering.

"Guys," Luhan said in a dark tone. They were silent for a second, until the guy that was singing with Lay backed up into something. That something was the desk besides my bed, which held my tray of untouched food. The tray decided to fall and make the loudest noise.

The bowl, which the nurse decided serve me today, was glass, making an hair-raising shatter on the ground. I felt as though my heart shattered with the bowl. My ears felt like bleeding. I wanted to scream.

"P-Please..." I whispered, sobs starting to take over my body, "Stop." My body started to shake and the guy with the cute cheeks asked, "Wh-What's happening?"

I let out an ear-splitting shriek. There is only so much I could take. Everything is too overwhelming. I couldn't think straight and my vision became cloudy.

"GUYS!" I heard Luhan's voice over everything, it was like pulling me through the dark.

In a moment, I was suddenly engulfed in warmth, but I couldn't tell exactly why, because tears wouldn't stop forming.

"Shh..." I heard him coo in my ear. I tried calming down, but I couldn't. It was as if the sobs were getting louder.

"I'm... a m-monster," I said in between choked sobs.

The warmth disappeared. "Yin. You are not a monster," Luhan said sternly, there was even a little anger in his voice.

I cried harder.

Luhan hugged me again, engulfing me back in his warmth. It seemed to calm me down a little at least. Then... he started singing.

"Please don’t hesitate anymore, just hold tight to my heart," he sang softly, but clearly into my ear.

"Love is just like a dazzling light, eyes closed upon the sharp moonlight," he continued. I felt my cries start to quiet down. At least, I forced myself to. I wanted to hear him sing.

"If it’s not me but another guy, if this is a sentence in a comedy," he sang again. I was a bit confused at that part, but I was too mesmerized to say anything.

"Where I can laugh it off, I will exchange your love with a scar." I was just staring at his big eyes, which were staring right back at me. His brown orbs held pain and worry.

Luhan, what are you doing to me?

"Baby don’t cry, tonight, when the dark night lit up. Baby don’t cry, tonight, just treat it as if nothing happened."

Luhan, please stop.

"You will never be like foam, don’t you know that? So baby don’t cry, cry, my love will protect you and never let go."

I think I might like you, Luhan.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

FINALLYYYY! I'm done with this chapter! T.T I'm so sorry, I hope I won't do something stupid like this again...;~; I hope you guys are enjoying<3 Saranghaeyo~