Chapter 2

The Phone Booth

“From what I’m seeing, it looks like the rain isn’t going to stop anytime soon. I’m Zhang Yixing,” the boy introduced himself rather easily to Jungah. She stared at his hand that was placed in front of her. Slowly, she brought her own hand out. “I’m Kim Jungah,” she told him and slid her hand into his. Despite the coldness, his hand was warm, something that surprised her.

He shook her hand and smiled; something that made the girl stare at his dimple. It was quite cute.

Yixing let go of her hand, an action that caused her to frown upon. Weird enough, she liked the warmth that was transmitted from his hand onto hers. “Since we’re already in here, we might as well be friends. I’m turning 21 this October and I’m in my second year of university, how about you?” Jungah blinked, never had she met anyone so outgoing as him.

She cleared . “I- er, I’m 18 turning 19 this December. I’m in my last year of high school.”

He nodded his head in acknowledgement and stuck his hands into his jean pockets.

“I’m older than you by two years,” he said matter-of-factly.

“Yes you are,” she replied. “So Yixing, you’re not Korean right?”

The said boy shook his head. “Nope, I’m full Chinese. I actually came here around 2008, and took Korean classes because I wanted to pursue my dreams of becoming a dancer and singing too. I guess. Well, I’m really more into dancing then singing though.” Jungah’s let out an ‘oh’, then tilted her head to the side. “Er, by any chance do you compose any songs?”

“I have.” Jungah’s eyes brightened, “Really, I want to see!” Yixing chuckled, “Then you’re in luck because I have one of the songs’ lyrics saved in my phone.” He took out his phone and scrolled through his items. “Here,” he said, handing over his phone to her. “Don’t laugh if it . I wrote it like years ago,” he exaggerated on the ‘years’. She giggled, “We’ll see.”

“How was it,” he asked, biting down onto his bottom lips as he placed his phone back into his back pocket.

She shrugged, “I didn’t like it.” His eyes widened as his shoulders deflated. “Oh… I told you it …”

“You’re so silly!” she busted out laughing, hitting him lightly on the arm. “I was only kidding.”

Hearing no response from him, she started to feel guilty. “Are you okay?” she tugged onto his arm, trying to bring his attention that was on the floor back to her face. “Yixing,” she pushed his arm back and forth, “I was only kidding. Don’t be mad anymore.”

Jungah hesitatingly placed her index finger onto his chin, lifting them up only to find her eyes widening.