Chapter 8

The Phone Booth

2 years later

“Ah, where did I put it? I swore I left it here yesterday. How can it be missing?” Jungah wandered all around the room, looking for her missing cell phone. She was supposed to be out of her house 10 minutes ago. “Ah found it!” she beamed and placed the device into her backpack. Glancing at the clock on the wall, her eyes widened. Being late to class and having a bad impression by the teacher was something she can’t afford on the first day of the new semester. “Umma, I’m going to go now! I'll see you later!” she rushed out of her house ignoring her mother's shouts about why she was still at home instead and not at school.

“You’re late,” the teacher had a disappointed look on her face, something that made the girl quite uneasy due to the many stares she received from the class. “Just find a seat and we’ll start our lesson.” The girl bowed at the older woman while uttering out a sorry. Avoiding all the gazes, she went towards the back row, where there was luckily an empty seat beside her best friend, Min.

“Jungah, why were you so late. You’re never late before,” Min whispered, keeping her eyes still focused on the teacher. The mentioned girl glanced over at her before averting her attention towards the front, “I was trying to find my cellphone.”

Min rolled her eyes and giggled. Ever since she had befriended her on their first day, she found out that it was typical for Jungah to lose things easily. Though she found it quite amusing that on their second year of university, she still loses things.

“You know there’s a new kid here?” Min said as they worked on a class project the teacher assigned a week ago.

“Really? Who is it?”

Min shrugged, “Actually I’m not too sure of his name either. But well, he’s not really new, I mean… since he went to school here 2 years ago. But according to rumors, he had a problem arising in his family so he had to leave school for a while.”

Instantly did Jungah’s mind fell upon Yixing. How was he? Was he doing well in China? How was his father? Is he eating well? Many unanswered questions, something the girl was hoping to have answered to if she ever saw him. She still kept his white hoodie that he had let her borrowed that day and the piece of paper she had found in the front pocket. Two years had already passed by but the encounter he had with him, the memories, they still stood beside her as if it only happened yesterday.

“You okay?” Min asked as she watched her friend spaced out. “Huh? Oh... I’m fine,” Jungah lied with a fake smile.

She wasn’t fine at all.


One more chapter and it's the end for this story. /sad. :(