Chapter 1

The Phone Booth

“That’s all for you today Jungah?” The said girl smiled and nodded at the ajusshi who placed the two chocolate bars and a water bottle into a bag. She had come into this convenience store way too many times before to allow the store owner know who she was. “Here you go. Enjoy your day.” Jungah bowed and walked out of the store whilst shouting back a ‘you too!’

She started heading off towards home, the plastic bag thumping against her right leg with every step. “Oh!” the girl came to realization when she remembered that her mom had specifically told her to call her aunt as soon as she exited her school. With hasty steps did she soon arrive at the nearest phone booth. Its bright red color stood out from the gray, gloomy sky.

After many constant tries of calling her aunt, she gave up. The older woman was surely not going to pick up as Jungah kept getting sent to her voicemail. Aggravated that she had spent ten dollars, she turned around but only to frown more. It was raining immensely, a situation where she couldn't go home without her mom lecturing to her about her wet clothes or being late.

That’s if she took the other to wait until the rain stopped to come home.

Both way, she would still get lecture, and so she chose the last choice. She definitely does not want to walk home a good hour or two walk and having the high chances of catching a cold. One by one, due to the heavy amount of rain being produced, the once crowded place slowly turned into a vacant one. Soon enough, the streets were crowded with only a few people walking by.

Immersed in the scenery in front of her, the girl hadn’t taken notice of a male figure running towards the phone booth that she was in. Though, several amounts of loud knocks on the window made her jump back into reality and averted her direction to the culprit. A strikingly handsome boy was standing there, holding up a black backpack to shelter him from the rain.

Jungah hesitated whether she should let him in or not, but taking in the sight of his drenched backpack and parts of his blue cardigan, she opened up the door. The boy before entering the booth shook off the water from his backpack and hair, and then stepped inside. He glanced around the floor of the tiny space of the booth and placed his backpack into the corner.

Turning around, he met eyes with her and smiled, exposing his hidden dimple.

“From what I'm seeing, it looks like the rain isn't going to stop anytime soon. I'm Zhang Yixing.”