Chapter 3

The Things You Wish You Had

You had always said you were just staying late at work. Working extra hours. Doing favors for co-workers.
“Key, I’m heading out to work now, okay?”
“Why, Jjong, it’s a Saturday.” I responded from the couch. “You never work on Saturdays...”
“Ah, I’m working extra hours so I can take a couple hours off some other day.” The explanation sounded reasonable, so I nodded my head and Jjong took his coat and exited the room.
And to think I actually believed you. Foolish as I was, I didn’t consider the possibility that you were spending that time with....her. The woman that had stolen the one thing I lived for. Everything.
The lights of the park flickered on above me, the sun setting slowly in the western sky. Stars were appearing in the darkening sky, and I quietly stood up to leave. As I was walking down the dimly lit path, a solitary figure standing on the bridge caught my attention. When I looked closer, I recognized him. I was about to shout his name when he turned towards me, and he wasn’t alone. A woman clung to his arm, and they were both smiling brightly. A feeling of betrayal blossomed in my chest, and soon spiraled quickly out of control. What was he doing here? Shouldn’t he be work-....wait...was he....lying?
The hurt when I found out had been overwhelming. I hadn’t told you that I knew, though. You was happy with her, and your happiness was all I wanted.
The couple began walking slowly down the bridge, their smiles seeming to light up the whole world. But that beautiful light didn’t touch me. I was sinking slowly, despair and sadness swallowing my whole being.
I had continued my charade of happiness while with you, but as soon as you had gone, my fake smile would melt away and my face would become absolutely expressionless.
“Hey Key! Do you think Se Kyung could eat with us tonight?” Jjong asked, his expression pleading. I couldn’t turn him down.
“Yeah, of course....”
I would see Se Kyung more and more, and you was drifting farther and farther away from me. She was taking my place in your life, the place of absolute friendship, the one person you could talk to the most...
“Um, Key...” We were sitting on the couch together, wrapped in a blanket. For the first time in a long while, I actually felt...good.
“Hmm?”
“Well...Se Kyung....would like to.. move in with me. Would you be okay with that?”
For the past hour, all I was thinking about was Jjong next to me, his warmth, and the comfort he brought me...so why did he have to destroy my rare moment of happiness with thoughts of the woman who was taking the person I loved away from me?
She came the next day, bags in hand, and when the doorbell rung, you had lept off the couch and forgotten me.
 

“Hey baby! Do you need help? Let me get those for you.” He grabbed the bags and led her into his room. She followed, and I was left standing alone in the entryway...alone in my misery.

You and I had shared a room for as long as I could remember. But now, with that beautiful woman living here, I was sent to the spare room, and she took my place in yet another way.The room was cold and dark without the comforting feel of you in the room with me. The shadows from the city lights outside lent the room a disturbing feeling...

Thunder crashed outside the house, the tremors shaking through my body and rattling my bones. A bright flash lit up the room, eerie shadows covering the walls, and the deep rumble followed soon afterwards. I jumped under the covers and wrapped them more tightly around myself, letting out a small whimper in fear. At times like these, Jjong would come over to me, lying down next to me and holding me tight. But that couldn’t happen now, not with his woman with him.

That dreadful night was the night I finally came to my senses. I accepted the fact that it was either Se Kyung or me. And it was her. I realized my stupidity in believing that I was still connected to you, still had a chance of being part of your life. And so, trembling under my covers, alone in a dismal room with nothing left in my life worth living for, I let you go.


 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


[A/N] first of all, SO SORRY FOR TAKING SO LONG!!! i was at my cousins house for an insanely long time and didn’t have time to work on this....but we’re back now! so my thoughts r that the next chps gonna be like, Jjong’s proposal and wedding.....idk cuz when i write i just make stuff up as i go along, so yeah... im actually starting the next chp now, so it shouldn’t take too long for the next update. and i feel like im taking too much control of the story....cuz all kissmeimirish does is sit and watch as i type, so i feel bad...

no actually i feel bad for not contributing to the story very much...IF THERE IS GOING TO BE A CHAPTER AFTER THIs NEXT ONE WE NEED TO WRITE IT TOGETHER...i feel horrible that topjongkey writes everything, i don’t want her to feel like she has to...sadness...ANYWAY thanks for reading!!!! i apologize for the weird authors note last time...