Chapter 2

Goodbye Military Academy

Not usually, at 6 a.m. Suho had already left home; even earlier than his sister. After leaving a memo 'I go to the campus' taped on the refrigerator, Suho wore his jacket and went away. With such of memo, his sister would certainly trust him. Another case if he wrote 'I want to go to meet Baekhyun’; his protective sister would definitely bombard him with various questions.

 

Kris.

 

All of troublesome issue was because of him. If it’s not for Kris’ request, probably Suho had no reason to meet his childhood friend, Byun Baekhyun. It had been two years that Suho lost contact with Baekhyun. He knew that Baekhyun was very busy to catch up his lesson in school after completing his training at the FDA, U.S. last year.

 

Suho finally managed to make an appointment with Baekhyun after issuing a series of inducements and whimpers. He had lobbied Baekhyun at least since last week so that he willingly skipped school and met him today. Baekhyun even then would only miss a half day. Truly a good student!

 

There were neither cafes nor restaurants open at six, so they made an appointment just on a park bench. The city park was usually crowded; children were running around everywhere, but this morning it's very quiet. There were only empty park benches that encircled a fountain; a very suitable place to talk about 'secret'.

 

Suho was already in a city park. He had his palm against his chest, breathing heavily. Just running for five minutes was sufficient to make him die out of breath. His palm clutching a fistful of cloth; Suho hated his weak body. His breath problem forced him to bury his dream to become a cop. With unsteady breath, Suho leaned his back to the bench and closed his eyes.

 

A picture of his best friend’s face appeared in his mind. Kris: A man with an insight and mature perspective, just like him, who was sometimes shameless but could turn his ordinary life to be more colorful.

 

Suho somewhat missed his high school memories; he missed Kris. Since in a high school, the two of them had been a good friend, best friend. Their relationship was just like light and shadow; contradictable yet inseparable.

 

Kris might be the only one who could make a diligent Suho got punished by the teacher as Kris invited him to ditch school. Born with a face like a charming prince made Kris was always followed by the girls and he generously introduced several of them to a shy Suho. Kris was the one who always visited Suho every day once he got sick and helped him to take care of his sister when he was hospitalized.

 

And Kris was the only one, who over the past year had taken him on dangerous missions. Yes, dangerous missions. However, Suho had never refused Kris’ offering. He did whatever Kris asked him to do because of their friendship.  

 

***

 

A week earlier

 

“I need young medical team for my new mission. I know I can count on you” Kris persuaded Suho, who sat down in front of him.

 

“Do you mean me—again?” Suho pointed at his own nose, silently hating himself that he couldn’t say no for helping him. He should have known that Kris would not give him a lunch treat if he had no purpose. 

 

Yes, would you join me?” Kris shrugged casually as if he asked Suho to hang out somewhere. He really took an advantage from Suho’s weakness. Suho, the prospective doctor, had always wanted to go a mission. Both of their fathers were policemen. If not because of his ailing, Suho certainly could have entered the police academy with Kris.

 

No. You know, I am not a doctor yet” Suho shook his head, trying to refuse the other’s offering. He took a sip his orange juice and looked away.

 

“I didn’t say I need a doctor. I need young medical team. Come on, Suho. This mission is safe. Very safe. No shooting. No chasing” But of course it was a lie. The fact, Kris was nearly got a shot when trying to catch Jongin.

“I promise” Kris added and made a peace sign with his fingers. Suho rolled his eyes.

 

“The last time you said that the mission was safe, I ended up in hospital with bone fracture. I learned my lesson!” Suho pointed at Kris in angry voice when remembering that bad memory. Kris just chuckled, playing dumb.

 

“No—no—this time, I promise it will be safe!” Kris could see Suho was silenced and stared at him for a moment, like he always did when he almost gave in. It’s only about time.

 

“You do better keep your promise. What should I do?” Suho finally agreed. Kris smirked in victory. Their friendship did not make Suho realized that Kris manipulative character would never change.

 

“Find me students who know about health, drugs, and nutrition. I would prefer a boy rather than a girl” Kris said. It was a difficult request, but Suho knew who he had to look for.

 

Byun Baekhyun.

 

***

 

Because Kris had said that the mission would be ‘safe’, Suho had the courage to ask Baekhyun. One problem stuck in his mind was what he should say to Baekhyun. Ditching school for one day was very difficult for him, more over asked him to join the mission; it was nearly impossible.

 

“Have you been waiting so long?” Baekhyun greeted with a smile. Suho was drowning in his own thought until didn’t notice that Baekhyun came up. Suho just shook his head.

“I'm sorry I don't have many times to see you. I have an exam this afternoon” Baekhyun added as he sat down next to Suho, placing his backpack on his lap. Baekhyun lowered his head to see Suho's gloomy face.

“What's wrong? Do you have any problem?” He asked worriedly. The older said nothing but showed a puzzled face, making Baekhyun curious even more.

 

“Hmm, well—“ Suho finally said as he and bit his lips. “Actually, I need your help. I really need your help!” He said it in a pampered voice.

 

Hey, what’s wrong? Something's happened to you?” The younger turned his body to Suho, furrowing eyebrows. He was scared with Suho’s unusual behavior. They hadn’t seen each other more than two years and now Suho met him with an attitude like a boy who wanted to confess his feeling to a girl.

 

Suho looked around consciously, making sure there’s nobody hearing them, before leaning his head to Baekhyun’s ear. “Baek, listen—would you join a police mission?” He whispered. Baekhyun gawked as his brain was too shock to proceed the older’s words.

 

“JOIN WHAT????” Baekhyun shouted. Suho immediately squeezed his eyes shut as Baekhyun’s piercing voice might have been heard from radius 500 meters. The younger stood up from his bench. “WHAT DO YO—hmph” Afraid of another screaming; Suho quickly muffled Baekhyun’s mouth and pulled him down back on his seat.

 

“Shhh!!!” Suho put one finger in front of his mouth, signaling Baekhyun to quiet. “I know—I know it sounds crazy to you! For me too! But you no need to shout, okay?” Suho was afraid that people thought he was robbing a student.

 

“I don’t know what you are talking about, but I am not going!” Baekhyun exclaimed in a low voice and shot Suho with a disbelief look.

 

Not in a million years, Baekhyun had experienced anything like this. At 5.30 a.m. in the morning he had left home without breakfast and just had a quick shower. Even now, he had totally forgotten about stoichiometric he learnt last night for chemist exam. Feeling fooled, Baekhyun grabbed his bag and prepared to leave.

 

 “Excuse me.” He bowed to Suho and turned around.

 

“Wait—wait a second!” Suho gripped the younger's arm, preventing him from escaping. “Listen, please. I don’t know where else to ask for a help. You are the only one that matches to the requirement. Tell me—where else I could find a boy with one year experience in Centre of Food Safety and Applied Nutrition in FDA? It is only you, Baekhyun!”

 

“So what if I was a trainee in FDA? I don’t want to be involved in dangerous thing.” Baekhyun pulled out his hand off from Suho’s tight grip.

 

“Please, Baek. I need your help, I promise it’s safe.”

 

Baekhyun cocked an eyebrow at Suho as if he didn’t know with whom he was talking to. Suho whom he knew was not like this. At least he never invited Baekhyun to participate ‘dangerous’ thing; just fishing or playing games at home. Although the invitation sounded like April fool’s joke, Baekhyun could sense that Suho was deadly serious.

 

“I actually was not alone last year. I have another friend at FDA; I was sent with another student.” Baekhyun out of nowhere stated and Suho silenced for a moment at it.

 

“Really? Who?”

 

“Sehun—Oh Sehun. If you can have him to join the mission, I’m in.”

 

***

 

Kris brought Chanyeol and Kyungsoo to the hospital by his car. Chanyeol sat down on the back passenger seat, while Kyungsoo sat down next to Kris. Way there probably would take one hour as their military academy located at the edge of the town. Chanyeol looked at the scenery around him. A gentle breeze was blowing his curly hair as he opened the window a little.

 

“It mentioned here that Mr. Kim is a drugs dealer in Golden triangle. Are we going to go to Thailand?” Chanyeol asked randomly while reading the file. He would be the one who was very glad if they could visit one of The Golden Triangle’s countries. Kyungsoo just glared Chanyeol with an angry look, signaling him to stop talking weird.

 

“We are not going anywhere, Chanyeol.” Kris replied and he could see Chanyeol disappointed that Kris didn’t put the trip to Thailand as one of his plan. He stayed focus looking at the road. “Protecting Jongin is our main aim right now. Now try to learn his personal data from the file.”

 

“This just the trivia. I can skip it. I still don’t get it why Jongin has to be hidden in—community” Kyungsoo interrupted. He said that not without reason as the file could be learned at any time. Chanyeol nodded in agreement.

 

“Kyungsoo is right. Regardless there are traitors in your department; I think it should be easier to catch Mr. Kim if Jongin was jailed. After all, his father would look for him as well?” Chanyeol looked at Kris through a rear view mirror.

 

“What if his father would prefer to kill him rather than help him?” Kris asked back. And Chanyeol just mouthed what? in disbelief.  “You know what? Two hours after police department announced Jongin’s detention, there were snipers sent to police headquarters. And guess—Jongin was the target.”

 

“According to our spies, Jongin is the entrusted person who always protects Mr. Kim. It is not known whether he had been educated or not, but judging from how he managed Mr. Kim to be always safe, he must has a good intelligence, has a very good visual ability, and responsive body movement as well. Besides, highly probable that Jongin helps Mr. Kim in drugs trafficking and knows a lot of information about him. Maybe that’s why he had been targeted” Kris kept explaining while Kyungsoo and Chanyeol flipped over the pages.

 

“So—are we equipped with weapon? Will be there a shooting or a fight?” Chanyeol asked in enthusiastic tone. Kyungsoo very convinced this type of question would come out from his mouth.

 

Kris smirked at the question. “Of course you are not. You are underage. You just have to school, study, and live a proper life like ordinary people”

 

“Studying, studying, boring” Chanyeol muttered in his extremely low voice and leaned his body back to the car seat. Kris a bit anxious as Chanyeol would be very unmanageable, especially for studying. Definitely yes, Chanyeol was a wrong choice for school mission.

 

Their car was out of traffic jams and began to enter the city. That afternoon was very hot. Nevertheless the stores still look busy. Lot of peoples were out for lunch. Chanyeol absorbed looking at their activity. He didn’t pay attention to Kris and Kyungsoo. He daydreamed; if he becomes an ordinary people, he would spend his time like those peoples. Now, their car was stuck in front of music store as they were waiting for the traffic lamp changed into green.

 

“We shouldn’t call him ‘Kim Jongin’ if don’t want him to remember again” Kyungsoo leaned his body to car seat and was thinking. He turned to Chanyeol who was still looking at those peoples on the street. “What do you think?” Kyungsoo’s question snapped him back to reality.

 

“What? Uh, for the name?” Chanyeol stuttered. Since he had no idea, his gaze at the poster on music store wall, looking for a name he could use. His attention was attracted to a boy band poster that attached on the wall. His eyes screened over the poster. Suddenly his eyes wide opened after seeing one new poster.

 

“I knew it!” A loud voice pierced Kyungsoo’s ears as Chanyeol shouted precisely beside him. “Kai! We call him Kai! Do you know him, don’t you? He is Kai; the EXO-K’s dancer” Chanyeol beamed happily before pointing at a poster of a new boy band.

 

Kyungsoo and Kris furrowed his eyebrows as they had not heard that name before, completely confused on what Chanyeol's talking about. They turned their head 180˚ to see the poster by their own eyes. They’re looking at a picture of a boy who his appearance was generally similar with Jongin; had a skinny body and tan skin.

 

“You.want.to.use.an.artist.stage.name.to.a.criminal?” Kyungsoo said every word clearly in monotone. He still couldn’t believe that an Infantry like Chanyeol was so update about the newest boy band; even he knew their name personally.                   

 

“Why? Do you want to call him Jongin? That’s too long. Kai is shorter” Chanyeol insisted.

 

“Hmm—okay, it doesn’t sound bad. We can use that name” Kris mentioned to Chanyeol. The traffic lamp turned to green and the car started to go again, leaving the music poster behind them. “Actually I’ve have plan already, but since you two will do this mission directly, I’ll let you to help me arrange the plan” Kris continued.

 

“You have a plan already?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

Hmm, sounds a little bit cheesy. We were Jongin’s friends at orphanage and Jongin was saved from accident but lost his memory”

 

Chanyeol dropped his jaw and his eyes narrowed at Kris' explanation. That’s all? How simple? Would he believe it? Of course that's cheesy! The story could easily spot. Kris turned the car to the hospital and headed to the basement parking lot. As the car had parked, Kris opened his bag and took out several clothes from it.

 

“Now, put these on!” Kris ordered as he threw the clothes to Chanyeol and Kyungsoo. Chanyeol beamed when he received a t-shirt with hoodie, and a pair of jeans, while Kyungsoo got T-shirt, jeans, and a cap. Both of them got two pair of sneakers. “Make sure both of you cover your short military hair-cut, okay?”

 

“Yes, Sir!” They exclaimed.

 

***

 

Now in casual clothes, they were looked like ordinary boys. Nobody would notice them as soldiers. Chanyeol wore his hoodie to cover up his short curly hair, while Kyungsoo used a cap. They were looked happy with their new outfit as the last clothes they wore maybe a uniform, ballistic vest, and combat helmet. It had been three years for them not going back home. During study in military academy, they had to live in a military dorm and rarely wore regular clothes.

 

Kris walked first in front of them, entering the hospital lobby. As they were entering the elevator, Kyungsoo noticed that Kris pressed the button '2'. The second floor was for the patients who almost recover. Kyungsoo felt a little bit nervous; he knew that Jongin might be strong enough to talk, since the second floor permit its patient to have visitor. He afraid he couldn't hide his identity if he met Jongin. Silently, he took a glance at Chanyeol who was standing next to him. Accidentally, their eyes collided and both of them quickly looked away.

 

When the elevator door opened, they walked toward the corridor to Jongin’s room.  Chanyeol stole a glance at the nurses that they bumped into. He could see the nurses busy whispering at them. Maybe they're attracted to Kris, Chanyeol thought. Kris turned to the left toward room no. 214 and stopped right in front of the door before turning at Chanyeol and Kyungsoo.

 

“Listen—if you can’t lie, don’t say anything, okay?” Kris warned them before twisting the door handle.

 

Kyungsoo stepped in the room after Kris, eyes looking around in alert. He expected to see something different there, but Jongin’s room actually was very much the same like ordinary hospital room; wall painted in white and ivory, wide window with white curtain, medicine-like scent filling the room, even he shared his room with other patients. There were a man and a woman slept next to him; it meant Jongin's bed was in the middle.

 

Kyungsoo took a glance at the man next to Jongin. He felt that the way he was looking at Kris was so strange. That man glared at Kris with a sharp look as if he couldn’t take his eyes from Kris, but Kris just walked away nonchalantly.

 

"Those are not ordinary people eyes. They must be police in disguise.” Kyungsoo thought while trailing behind Kris. He was sure Chanyeol noticed it as well.

 

Jongin’s bed had the curtain closed so they couldn’t see him directly. Kris stopped exactly in front of the curtain before opening the curtain slowly. They could see a thin boy was laying on the bed weakly. He closed his eyes but they knew he didn’t sleep. He had bandages here and there, but weren’t serious injuries, except on his head.

 

“Kai—how are you? Do you feel better?” Kris called him out with his new name as he sat down at the edge of the bed.

 

It was the first time for Kai to hear the name. For the past week, everybody had called him “patient no.2” or “boy” or “handsome”; and of course Suho was the one who told every medical team on hospital to do that.

 

Kai slowly turned his head to the voice and his face was revealed clearly now. Kai was unlike their previous criminal image; had a big body, tattooed, or muscled. He was a normal boy. His body was quite skinny yet looked firm at the same time. He had jet black eyes, brown skin, tousled curls hair, and his height was slightly taller than Kyungsoo. He was not as manly as Kris, but Chanyeol was sure his face was enough to make one or two nurses fall for him.

 

Kai forced his weak arms to support his body weight, trying to straighten his back. Kris instinctively reached out his hand to help him, but the boy reflexively pulled his hand.

 

“Who are you?” Kai growled in alarmed. His deep and manly voice was layered with fear. His eyed was glaring at Kris as if he was a bad guy who wanted to hurt him. Kris smiled calmly; confident as ever. He reached out his hand to Kai’s trembling hand very slowly.

 

“Don’t be afraid." Kris said to Kai who was like a wild lion waiting to be tamed. "I’m Kris. Don’t you remember me?”

 

Kai shook his head without broke their eyes contact, not realizing when Kris' hand reached his. Kai's muscle got stiffened under the touch; he obviously still afraid of people. He was afraid of Kris. Instinctively, Kai pulled his hand, but he couldn't as Kris pinned his wrist against the bed. 

 

“Relax.” Kris soothe him, rubbing a circle on Jongin's hand by a thumb. "We are your friends."

 

Friends?

 

Kai cringed at his words. No one from them that he had ever known; they're strangers to him. That's what Kai was thinking while observing the other boys. The boy with round eyes and the taller one seemed didn't dangerous to him, but Kris. Kai alarmed with Kris and he felt uncomfortable to be closed with him. With a force, Kai freed his hand.

 

Kris hid his sighing; he was sure that Kai never would accept him. So he turned to Kyungsoo and Chanyeol, giving them a sign to greet their new friend. Both of them just shared a glance for the first time, not knowing what to do. Chanyeol scrunched his nose and shook his head slightly, implying Kyungsoo that he was bad in pretending. He got the message clearly, so he mustered up courage to take the first step.

 

He made his way to Kai, to the sun-kissed boy who only looked at him confusedly. Kai was quite surprised when Kyungsoo suddenly leaned his body toward him, and the next thing he felt was the boy with rounded eyes had already pulled him to his embrace. Kyungsoo's body heat was radiating against his chest; warm and pacify. One arm draped over Kai's body, rubbing his back gently.    

 

“Thanks God, you are saved.” Kyungsoo whispered by Kai's ear, placing his chin on Kai’s shoulder. The sun-kissed boy just blankly stared nothing, but he didn't reject the hug either. Kris smirked at the sight; Kyungsoo really knew how to tame this wild boy.

 

Kyungsoo hugged Kai not without a reason though. In that way he could feel the hard muscles on Kai’s back and arms. His body was strong, firm, and muscular; but he was not a typical of people who had been trained weight lifting, because his wing muscles were not developed well and his body was slender.  It's highly probable that Kai had been practicing martial art continuously; a melee fighter like Chanyeol.

 

Kyungsoo was not sure if it's because of Kai's ailing or what, but he felt that Kai was shivering. Half of him told him to keep hugging Kai, while another half had already satisfied with the deduction. Kyungsoo chose to pull away from Kai, releasing his hugging.

 

“It’s Do Kyungsoo.” Kris introduced the boy sat who had hugged him before. “And he is Park Chanyeol.” Kris pointed at the tall boy standing behind Kyungsoo. Chanyeol just waved his hand awkwardly to Kai.

 

“Do you know me? Do you know who I am? Tell me—tell me who am I?” Kai grabbed Kyungsoo’s shoulder tightly. He growled in frustration; his voice sounded hoarse and Kyungsoo could see a desperation from his eyes.

 

“Kai, we are your friends, we are in orphanage together since we were a child, don’t you remember?” Kyungso pretended furrowing his eyebrows. Kyungsoo couldn’t believe that finally they used the story. Jongin shook his head, and then he grabbed his own hair.

 

“No—no, I can’t remember anything, why? WHY??” He shouted in his deep voice.

 

“Calm—calm, Kai! Be patient. You just need time to recover” Kris was holding Kai’s arms and tried to relax him. Chanyeol also helped Kai to lay down on his bed again. “Relax buddy—we are here! Don’t be afraid, we will take care of you.”

 

“It was also a terrible accident for us. But don’t think too hard about it anymore. It could be worsened your health” Kris said calmly to Kai. He was about to say something, but Kris stopped him.

 

 “—we will tell you everything you want to know, but not this time Kai, you have to be patience, okay? Promise me that you will take all medicines and therapies” Kris eyes were insisting him to agree. Kai nodded. “Good then—we got to go now”

 

 “Why are you in a hurry? Umm—are you guys will going to see me again?” Kai grabbed Kris' wrist. He felt disappointed when they were wanted to leave so soon. For several days he had no one to talk with. He was lonely--and somehow Chanyeol could notice it.

 

 “Of course! I will regularly visit you Kai, so you don’t feel alone” Chanyeol smiled. Kai couldn't help anything but smiled sadly. As much as he wanted a friend to accompany him, he couldn't force them to do so.

 

 “We will visit you every day don’t worry. We have another appointment right now. See you tomorrow Kai!” Kris smiled to Kai before leaving the room with Kyungsoo. For the last time, Kyungsoo took a glance at Kai, seeing him straightly to his eyes, his sad eyes. He didn’t say anything except smiled to him and Kai smiled back. No matter what he was in the past, a criminal or something, he didn't have the heart to look him at that condition.

 

***

 

“I hope he believe us” Kyungsoo fanned himself with his cap.

 

 “Good job, boys! I can fully trust to you now” Kris said before looking at his watch. “Oh, hopefully we are not late” He said and walked faster.

 

 “Late? Late for what?” Chanyeol asked.

 

 “Late for your placement test”

 

 “A placement test for?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“School of course—I will bring you to school” Kris smiled.

 

***

*FDA: Food and Drug Administration, is an agency of the United State Department of Health and Human Services, one of the United State federal executive departments. 

*Stoichiometry: a branch of chemistry  that deals with the relative quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions.