Part Two

To Enter Heaven in Three Days [One-Shot]

❥  ❥  ❥

 

“Kyung Soon? Wake up!” Soo Min heard. She opened her eyes, and she was surprised to see Chan Yeol over, his face showing a worried expression. She didn’t know what to do. He grabbed both of her shoulders to help her sit up tall on the floor, as she held her forehead in the pain that slowly overcame her.

 

“What Kyung Soon?” Soo Min asked. He must have mistook her from Kyung Soon.

 

“What are you talking about?” He questioned, and the worried expression still there. “I left you here in the office and then when I came back, you fainted on the floor. “ He added. Soo Min became confused. What is he talking about?

 

When the pain was gone, she stood up with his aid. And unknowingly, she was facing a mirror. She saw herself.

Not as Soo Min, but Kyung Soon. She touched her face. Real. She mumbled something, and it was her, talking. She smiled, and the reflection on the mirror followed.

“I am Kyung Soon.” She uttered, which led him to a brief chuckle.

“You must have bumped your head. Shall you take a rest?” He offered. She was speechless, yet she decided to go with the flow. He offered a chair for her and commanded his secretary for a glass of water.

 

She’s human again. She's in his fiancee's body.She took Kyung Soon’s body, and maybe it was made possible with her utter desire to be her.

 

With this, she thought, revenge would be easier.

 

Once the glass of water was given to her, she drank it slowly, and he watched her. After she drank, he took the glass and placed it on the table before sitting beside her. He held her hand and tossed it repeatedly, like he was playing with it for affection.

“Remind me, I’m your fiancée, right?” Soo Min asked for clarification. He smiled.

“Yeah, Kyung Soonie. Do I need to remind you of everything?” He asked playfully, like it was another of their private jokes. With much delight, Soo Min agreed. It might help her in plotting her atrocious plan for him.

“You’re the heiress of KIM Corporation. We were set up by our parents to marry each other. If I do not marry you, then it will be the end for your corporation. But it really doesn’t bother me. My parents picked the right girl.” He explained. Soo Min forced a smile with the use of Kyung Soon’s body, but deep in her, she wanted to choke him on the throat.

“Okay, now I remember.” She replied. And with that little information, she got the idea.

 

Tomorrow. I will break up with him, in Kyung Soon’s body. Let’s see what happens.

 

“Ah, my little forgetful princess.” He teased and pinched her nose as he stood up,  and walked towards his desk. This made Soo Min wish he was like that, even if he was infront of her real body.

 

 

❥  ❥  ❥

 

She was fetched by his driver this lunch, with Chan Yeol. She acted like she already knew about this lunch date that they planned. She decided to go along, carefully analyzing everything.

 

But she couldn’t help it. Her anger lessens everytime she looks at him and she remembers how he brought happiness to her life. But her anger rises everytime Kyung Soon’s name was called to her. She is being reminded that it wasn’t her real body that she was using.

 

When they reached the restaurant, Soo Min was surprised. Was it just a coincidence? It was the restaurant their first formal date as lovers took place. She was speechless, yet she decided to act cooly.

 

When they entered, she was even more shocked secretly. The same table they reserved for their date… it was the same table he reserved for this lunch date. Only for the two. It brought her back the memories, the sweet words he told her which was recently covered with her desire for vengeance.

 

When they sat down and took their orders, Soo Min gathered herself to courageously ask him a question.

 

“Chan Yeol. Can I ask why you chose this restaurant?” She asked, looking all innocent. He became startled.

“Why, don’t you like the ambiance?” He asked, worried again.

“No,” She smiled. “I’m just wondering if this is your favorite.” She continued. He smiled.

“Ah, yeah.” He replied, his smile turning into grin like he remembered something precious to him. “This restaurant is a memorable place for me.” He uttered. With this, Soo Min’s hopes lit up.

Memorable? Is it because of our first… date? She wondered, and deep inside she felt like giving up her plan and forever live in Kyung Soon’s body. But she thought again.

 

This might be another trap. He might plan something again. After what he did, why should I trust him? I should not let him distract me. I will push through my plans.

 

And because she was reminded of how he cheated her, her will of getting revenge returned.

 

 

❥  ❥  ❥

 

After the lunch, Chan Yeol told her he will go back to work, and that she must rest in her mansion, in Kyung Soon's mansion. She acted like she knew and agreed, though secretly she wanted to sleep on her apartment. And as he volunteered to let the driver drop her off her mansion, they happen to pass by Seoul University.

The college where Soo Min and Chan Yeol went. The place where everything started. The place where they met.

Soo Min stared at the gates as they pass by, her eyes telling million thoughts Chan Yeol couldn’t read.

“Kyung Soon.” He called out. Soo Min didn’t turn, for she forgot she was in Kyung Soon’s body. He signaled the driver to stop and return to the Seoul University gates.

“That’s the college where I went. Well… until I dropped off. Want to come in?” He asked, maybe because of the look in her eyes. Soo Min looked at him, unsure of what to answer. But then she finally gave a nod, and soon they found each other inside the campus premises.

 

❥  ❥  ❥

 

Under the same old tree, Chan Yeol took her. The same tree he confessed. The same place their relationship began. This evoked the memories, yet she tried to stay cold. She couldn't let these coincidences affect her plans.

He sat down on the big roots that had crawled the surface. And there she was, sitting next to him, enjoying the silence.

 

This was what they used to do when they were tired back then… during those college days. She felt mixed emotions. She didn’t know if she should be angry at herself for letting herself be dragged to this, her weakness, or if she should be happy he still might remember her.

 

And that’s when something came into her mind.

 

“Chan Yeol.” Uttering his name became awkward for her, but she ignored it.

 

“Perhaps, do you have someone in the past… like an ex-girlfriend?” She continued, testing if everything he does was just a coincidence, or he was really thinking of her.

“Why you asked?”

“I wanted to know.”

A moment of silence came. Chan Yeol sighed.

“No one.” He briefly replied. With this, she was somewhat disappointed

 

What was I thinking? They are all coincidences afterall. He has really forgotten about me, about us. He really just played with my feelings, with my heart.

 

 

❥  ❥  ❥

 

That night, she went to her apartment. She told the guards of the mansion that she will sleep somewhere, and be back by tomorrow, and to let others know. The guard followed her command because ofcourse, they thought she was Kyung Soon. They didn't know a different soul stays in it.

 

As soon as she went inside her apartment, she placed the shoulder bag on the table and she began arranging her things. She was sure that tomorrow, she will finish her mission. Break up. She can go back in front of the Gates of Heaven in peace. And because of this, she wanted to leave her house in order, and cleanly that she will be satisfied.

 

Because tomorrow, she said. Everything will end. She will go to Chan Yeol’s father and break up the marriage. Then she will see what will happen. It will lead him, his company and his life in such great problems.

 

And what’s the point of second chances for him? He said he has forgotten her. Everything they had was fake.

 

And after she cleaned her room, prepared for what might happen tomorrow, she unknowingly drifted to sleep.

 

 

❥  ❥  ❥

 

The next day, Chan Yeol was called to his father’s office. He arrived there, seeing Kyung Soon and his father, and the ambiance was quite serious. He didn’t know what was happening around, but he was sure it was something big.

 

“What happened?” His father asked sternly, with a hint of disappointment in his voice. Chan Yeol cleared his throat for this urgent call was somewhat haphazard.

“What are you saying?” He asked.

“Kyung Soon here wants to cancel the marriage. She’s no longer happy with you.” His father announced, leading him into a shock. He shot her a confused look but she looked away, secretly hiding a victorious smile. Chan Yeol’s father turned to her again.

“Are you sure you want to cancel the marriage? With this, both corporations can benefit. It’s a huge mistake to cancel this, Kyung Soon!” His father even tried to change her decision, for a last-minute change. But she was fixed to her decision.

“I’m leaving him.” She answered, and then turned to Chan Yeol. “Good-bye, Chan Yeol. This is the end for us.” She told him and walked away without any other thoughts. She left no further explanations.

Chan Yeol attempted to follow her, yet his dad spoke.

“Chan Yeol, stay. We have to talk.” His father told him, and he feared the furiousness hidden in his voice. So he has no choice.

 

❥  ❥  ❥

Soo Min, the soul inside Kyung Soon’s body was indeed happy. Her revenge, in a few minutes, will be completed. After she exited the room, she leaned an ear to the door to eavesdrop.

“What were you doing?! I told you to take care of her, to make her happy, until you’re wedded!” His father screamed, and his voice was barely audible because of the thickness of the door.

“You’re fired! Gather your things! Leave the mansion! You had brought great problems to the company!” His father added, his voice still barely audible. Loud thuds and slams of documents and folders on the desk was heard.

“You don’t know the whole story, father! Maybe she got tired of pretending too!” He defended.

“What pretending?”

“You ruined my life, and someone who is important to me for that Kyung Soon!”

Hearing that, Soo Min’s heart beats began beating twice as fast. What does he mean by this?

“You don’t---“

She wasn’t able to hear the next sentences because she was startled when the secretary noticed her, eavesdropping. But deep inside her, she was happy.

 

I forgive you, Chan Yeol. Now that I had completed my revenge. Now that their lives were destroyed, I have no reason let to be mad anymore.

 

She’ll just wait when to leave Kyung Soon’s body, and when to be back to the Gatekeeper.

 

 

❥  ❥  ❥

 

Soo Min, who was still in Kyung Soon’s body didn’t return to the mansion. She went back inside the apartment, waiting for the time the Gatekeeper shall pick her up. And it was already dusk. She had spent the rest of her day visitng other places she had always wanted to go to in Seoul. She sat down, and she noticed that something inside the shoulder bag was vibrating. She stood up and picked it up.

 

“Hello?” She greeted.

“Kyung Soon, this is Chan Yeol.”

Hearing his voice, she wasn’t exactly sure how she would reply.

“I’m sorry I dragged you into this. But can you please let me explain?” He continued even before she spoke.

“Okay.” She waited.

“Our marriage was fixed, we knew that. We both know we don’t love each other but we’re pretending, right?” He paused. “The truth is, I have an ex-girlfriend, and I love her. Dad found out she’s my girlfriend, so he was mad. I gave her up for you… because dad wants me to marry you. And if I don’t marry you, he will make her life miserable. And because I don’t want to breakup with her, I made a plan for her to break up with me… and that’s by cheating… and now she’s dead. All because of me.” He explained. For a moment Soo Min couldn’t think of what to say. She needs to investigate.

 

“You still love her?” She asked.

 

“Yes. I still love her. Her name is Soo Min. And I'm telling this to you because I'm tired of keeping everything. The guilt had slowly killed me.” He said. And with this, she didn’t know what to say. She thought if it was right for her to have done the revenge.

He still loves me.


She left the line silent, so he figured out she must be no longer interested. He decided to end the conversation.

“So sorry for dragging you into this.” He uttered lastly and hung up.

 

 

❥  ❥  ❥

The night, she dreamed. Her dream was the Gatekeeper, telling her to go to the Han River the next morning, in order to complete the three days she asked; for her to go back to the Gate of Heavens.

And she didn’t hesitate. The next day, upon waking up and fixing herself and organizing her things, still in Kyung Soon’s body, she went to the Han River.

But upon going there, she was surprised. She saw a man, standing on the river bank, throwing some photographs and other stuffs away on the river. Those things were carried away by the current of the river. Everything was silent. She decided to approach him, to ask who he was. Maybe he was the gatekeeper.

But when she was already near, he turned around. He must have noticed her presence. Pictures were on his hand. She was surprised.

 

Chan Yeol.

 

What is he doing here?

 

“Kyung Soon.” Chan Yeol greeted with a tight smile. Soo Min, in Kyung Soon’s body, nodded in acknowledgement.

She couldn’t even face him. She wanted to get revenge to him, even if he was doing something nice for her by means of hurting. And now she just ruined his life.

“What are you doing here?” She asked. Chan Yeol glanced on the pictures on his hand and walked towards her and showed it.

 

They were the old pictures of her --- Soo Min and Chan Yeol. Each telling a happy chapter of the wonderful relationship they had.

 

But Soo Min stopped, thinking.

 

But why is he throwing them away? I thought he loves me?

 

Soo Min gave it back to him and he glanced to the river.

 

“Why are you throwing them away?” She asked.

 

“I’m letting go of Soo Min.” He answered. Questions evoked from his statement. She waited for him to say something else. 

"I believe she'll be happy whenever she is. And if she doesn't forgive me, then I don't blame her. All I wanted was her to live a happy life. And now I'm paying for the consequences. My life turned upside down. I have to start a new." He continued. His eyes wandered around, seemingly lost in thoughts.

“Breaking up with her was wrong. And useless. I should have been much stronger.” He added. Soo Min smiled.

 

So everything happens for a reason, she thought. I shouldn’t have thought so narrowly that I only wanted revenge.

 

Soo Min glanced on the pictures.

 

“I'm sure she forgives you.” She told him. And she heard his familiar chuckle again.

 

“Alright. But pardon me, I’ll be back,okay? Wait here.” Chan Yeol said as he turned around and walked back to the river bank. And as Soo Min watched him from behind, she felt getting weaker by the second.

 

And all of the sudden, everything turned blank again.

 

❥  ❥  ❥

 

 

What would be her only reason left to live?    Is that reason even exists?

 

What is the purpose of finding out the reason, when everything had already ended? Her life was wasted. Her dreams were shattered. No more are those soaring visualizations.

But they were at the past.  The second chance the Gatekeeper gave her revealed her the exact happenings. She had already found out everything. The truths.

And that’s what she really wanted to know.

 

She woke up on a soft surface, everything around her with a shade of sky blue and white. Where am I? She asked herself, and right then she knew the answer. She sat up tall, her sight still blurred from being closed. From afar, she could see a tall, golden gate adorned with white and yellow flowers. A bearded old man with a staff beside the gate stood. He seemed to be looking at her, yet she couldn’t tell.

 

The Gatekeeper.

 

She scanned the surroundings. The whole blank surface was like soft cotton balls. Those fluffy ones. And she wasn’t mistaken. Clouds, she whispered in her mind. She rubbed her eyes and once she saw everything clearly, she slowly stood up. Only then she realized she was still wearing the pure, white dress, and her bare foot touching the cold cloud surface. Over the gate at the far end, the sun was shining above, and if it’s human, it would be wearing a happy face. She relied to her senses, and she became aware of the tranquil, peaceful yet mysterious ambiance that engulfed the place. The same aura she had felt at the start.

 

She noticed the Gatekeeper and approached him.

“Soo Min.” The Gatekeeper greeted with a smile. She smiled back.

“I’ve done my mission. Three days.” She proudly told him.

“Have you forgiven him?” He asked. She nodded.

“Then I have seen that he has forgiven you. But the revenge you did, it became the reason for finding out the truths, right?” The old man asked. She nodded again. The Gatekeeper's smile was somewhat saying he's satisfied. Maybe it was the reason why he didn't opposed her when she told him her plans for going back to Earth. Maybe he knew what would really happen.

He then waved his staff in a slash, a sandglass appearing magically on the air, floating. The sand grains were rapidly going down. And the last grain dropped down. Time’s up.

“Exactly before three days.” The old man announced, with joy obvious on his face.

“Thank you, Gatekeeper.”She uttered with a smile. The gatekeeper looked at her.

“But before you enter Heaven, tell me Soo Min,” He paused. “What would you like to wish for based on those three days?”

Soo Min didn’t need to think of what to wish for.

 

“I wish for Chan Yeol’s life to be back to normal, so he’ll live well like how he wanted me to.”