Chapter 1: The Arrangement

Through Crystalline Skies

 

No One POV

The sun shone through the window and chose to shine brightly on the sleeping teenager’s eyes. Feeling an abundant amount of heat on her face, she turned around and faces the wall. Someone entered the room and chuckled evilly, eyeing their prey. Something’s burning. She immediately sat up and rubbed her pained leg through the hospital gown. Something doesn’t feel right. By pure instinct, she throws her arm to the side and hears a groan followed by a thud. She looks at the figure on the floor writhing in pain next to a magnifying glass with a small crack.

“What are you doing, Jordan?” She asked her older brother who was still rolling on the floor clutching his private area.

“What the hell, Hayley! Why is it always your first instinct to hit me in the balls?” He replied, completely disregarding her question. She laughed and stood up carefully before holding out her hand to help him up.

“Sorry.” He rolled over and stood up by himself. She frowned. She knew why he had refused her hand and hated that everyone was always especially careful with her, almost as if she was made of porcelain.

“It’s fine. It was my fault for trying to set you on fire to wake you up.” Her eyebrows shot up and she gave her brother an incredulous look.

“You tried to set me on fire?” He shrugged.

“I didn’t know how else to wake you up.”

“How about shaking me?! Not freaking trying to light me on fire!” He laughed and helped her lay down again.

“I’m kidding. I wasn’t going to light you on fire, maybe singe you a little bit, but never light you on fire. Mom and dad will annihilate me.” She sighed. Her older brother was a huge joker and she always ended up being his victim. She strangely loved her brother more for that. He was the only one that treated her like a normal teenage girl, not someone with a death sentence. Not that he wasn’t careful with her, he could never really hurt his precious sister; at least not on purpose.

“Awww, gee thanks, Jordan for trying to kill me before ‘it’ d-“ He clamped his hand over and let out a strained breath.

“Please, don’t. Don’t do that to yourself.” Tears found their way to her eyes but she held them back. Her family had seen enough tears for at least 2 lifetimes; she didn’t want to worry them even more. She removed her brother’s hand, and forced a smile.

“Do what? Dance? Why don’t mind if I do.” She started playing music on her MP3 Player and both Hayley and Jordan danced to ‘Sorry Sorry’ by Super Junior while sitting. He had taken the hint and decided to let her have her fun without having to worry about anything, just like any other 17 year-old her age. While they were in their own world, jamming out to SNSD’s ‘Hoot’, someone knocked and entered. He smiled at his children and soon joined the fun. Hayley turned off the music and laughed at her father. “Hey, daddy.” He smiled and walked over to his daughter before giving her a kiss on the forehead.

“Hey, sweetheart.”

“What? I don’t get one?” Jordan said as he stuck out his forehead for his father to kiss it. His father’s laugh came out in its usual deep rumble and then he felt a stinging pain on his forehead. “Ow!” His hand automatically rubbed at the sore spot where his father flicked him. “You could have just said no.” They all laughed and chatted for a little while longer.

“Oh, that’s right. Hayley, I have great news for you.” Her father said. She turned to face him with a look of complete curiosity.

“What is it?” She waggled her eyebrows at him and leaned forward. “Huh? Huh? Huh?” She nudged her father gently with her elbow and his smile grew. He knew how hard it was for her to suffer for so long and was happy that she could still smile and joke around. He didn’t think it was possible after what the doctors told them a week ago.

~Flashback~

The doctor’s grip on the clipboard in his hand grew stronger and soon his knuckles were completely white. He couldn’t believe that charming teenage girl’s results. He had known her since she was born and now, that was all going to end. Everything would only be a memory. Her smiles, her laughter, the countless hours she tried to teach him dance moves from videos, the countless hours he spent teaching her Korean, and the way she called him ‘Pops’ every time she saw him in a cheery tone; all of that would be…gone. He stood in front of her room and tried to calm himself down before knocking on the door. The door opened and her head popped out of the doorway.

“Pops! Are you here to learn how to dance to more SNSD songs?” She smiled brightly and his heart cracked in his chest.

“No, Hayley, I’m afraid I’m not. Are your parents here?” She opened the door fully and nodded. She knew what this was about. Pops was never that serious unless it had to do with her rare illness. She sat down on her bed and her parents greeted the doctor who was like an uncle to their children.

“How are you doing, Mike?” Her father asked.

“I’ve been better, Tim.” Her parents’ happy tone died down when they noticed how serious he was.

“How bad is it?” Hayley asked from her spot on the bed. Pops couldn’t look her in the eye because he knew that if he did, he wouldn’t be able to control his expression.

“I’m sorry. We’ve done all we could these last 10 years, but it seems like none of the treatments are sitting well.” He now had his gaze locked on the floor and cleared his throat to prevent the tears from falling.

“I see…London I see France, I see Pop’s underpants!” She sang and his head snapped up to see her smiling. How could she be so carefree?

“Be serious for once, Hayley!” Her father screamed at her. She’d never heard her father lash out at her and to be honest, it scared her. “How could you be making jokes at a time like this?!”

“Dear.” Her mother said as she tried to calm him down. She tried to put her hand on his shoulder but he walked to Hayley, who was in tears.

“What’s wrong with you?! Why can’t you realize the severity of the situation?!” He screamed. She stood up and shoved him away from her.

“You want me to be serious?! Fine! I don’t want to die, Dad, but we all knew that this day was going to come! No matter what we do! It was going to come! I prepared myself for the last 10 years, so that I could be ready for today, and you know what?! I’m not ready! I’m scared! I don’t want to die! Stop screaming at me and open your eyes! I don’t have a lot of time left. Please don’t try to take the last of my happiness and crush it because you can’t deal with it. It’s all I have left. Please.”  She fell back onto the bed and clutched her chest anxiously with every sob. Her father was stunned at what he’d just done.

“Hayley.” He whispered and tried to step closer, but his wife pulled him out of the room so Hayley could cool down. Pops stood dumbfounded with tears rolling down his cheeks.

“Pops.” Hayley called to him and he looked over at her, trying to avoid her eyes. “How long do I have left?”

“A month, give or take.”

~Flashback End~

“Well? What is it?” She asked impatiently.

“We’ve arranged for you to travel to Korea for a week and a half-” She gasped happily and her father signaled that he wasn’t done. “And you get to stay in a special dorm with that girl group you absolutely love; Girls’ Generation, was it?” Hayley almost tackled her father until he signaled that he wasn’t done again. “BUT you must call us every night and take this special medicine. It will help in case you get an attack. Also, the girls don’t know anything about your illness, but you can choose to tell them.” She looked at him expectantly and he nodded, signaling the completion of his announcement. She squealed loudly and pulled him close.

“Oh my God! How’d you manage to do that?! I freaking love you even more now!” He laughed.

“I was very good friends with Lee Soo Man-ssi a few years ago. He was more than happy to grant us this favor.” He pulled away and noticed that her eyes were glistening with excitement. It would be her first time out of the hospital in years and best of all: she would get to live with her absolute favorite girl group in the world for a week…and a half.

At SM Entertainment  

“Eh!?” All 9 girls yelled at the same time. Were they hearing this correctly? They had to live with a complete stranger for a week and a half? Their manager hung up the call to escape the barrage of questions that were deafening him. He wasn’t allowed to say anything about the teenage girl under the strict orders of Lee Soo Man-ssi despite wanting to ease their minds.

“Maybe she’s nice. I think we’re judging her too quickly.” Seohyun said nervously as her Unnies glared daggers at her.

“Yeah, I agree with Seo. They wouldn’t just drop us off and leave us in some dorm with a lunatic for a week and a half.” Yoona said and everyone seemed to relax a little, returning to their previous activities. Would they?

-----------------------

A/N: THANK YOU FOR READING! Please let me know what you think and I apologize about the 1st chapter being mainly about Hayley...So...if you want to request a couple...then just let me know...I'll probably update this and BW either tonight or tomorrow....