Chapter 13

Say I Love U
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oppa mentioned that you lived in a big house… but I think he was being too kind. This place is gigantic!”

Yoona chuckled at the sight of Sooyoung’s jaw dropping as they stepped into her house. They hauled bags and boxes into the marble walkway and set them on the floor as soon as they were inside the cool expanse of her home. They stood for a moment, relishing in the air wafting in from the centralized air-conditioning before Yoona motioned for Sooyoung to follow her into the living room and they fell heavily on soft couches with twin sighs of relief.

It had been a long and tiring day of shopping—an activity which she would not have enjoyed doing at any other time but Kim Hyoyeon was planning her a birthday party and as it was, she was also very persuasive. There wasn’t really much she could do but follow her command… even if it meant lifting heavy bags of shoes and dresses to fill her best friend’s so-called quota.

Yoona was grateful that Sooyoung had happily agreed to come along and accompany her while Hyoyeon was stuck finishing her last few days of make-up duty at the hospital.

“Thanks for helping me out today, Sooyoung. I would have never heard the end of it from Hyoyeon if I didn’t get anything new for that birthday party she’s been planning since we got out of rotation a few weeks ago.” Yoona said, her voice muffled by the pillow she had laid on face down.

She turned her head a fraction to the side and bit back a chuckle at Sooyoung who lying across from her in another couch, sporting a similar lying position. She smiled, tucking her chin onto a throw pillow. “You’ve met Hyoyeon and her extravagant way of—er, speaking. I’m sure you can imagine what I mean.”

“It’s no problem. I’ve never gone on a major spree before so even though my feet hurt, I thought that today was really fun.” Sooyoung replied, raising her head from the pillow she had pulled onto her face. She yawned a little, as if to prove her tiredness from the day’s events even though her smile remained intact and bright on her face. “I don’t go to a lot of parties because I also work part-time after classes so I don’t really know much about how they work.”

“Believe me, Sooyoung, if it wasn’t for Hyoyeon I probably would stay indoors all the time.”

Sooyoung smiled at this and nodded. “Didn’t you just attend a party the other night though?” she asked, her eyes wide as she picked herself up and sat cross-legged on the couch. “Changmin-oppa wore that suit you got him the other day for a party he said you were throwing.”

“Yeah, it was a party honoring my father’s homecoming from the hospital,” Yoona explained, sitting up as well to face her companion. She continued, shrugging her shoulders while at the same time wrapping her arms around a pillow on her lap. “This is my 23rd birthday though so Hyoyeon’s making a really big deal about it because she knows I won’t.”

“I probably would be too if it were mine.” She replied, grinning from ear to ear. She had a suspicious twinkle in her eyes, probably from imagining herself in the near future. Yoona had to chuckle at her enthralled expression—it looked like Sooyoung was quickly losing herself from the reality.

Except she wasn’t because a moment later she happily quipped, “Gosh, I can’t wait to be old!”

Yoona pretended to be offended and scoffed in indignation. “Gee, thanks!”

“I don’t mean you look old! I just meant I can’t wait to get the freedom you guys have. I’m 20 and all but my brother insists that he’ll treat me like I’m 9 until I’m legally 21 years old.” Sooyoung explained, laughing as Yoona’s mock-frown stayed in place, even after she threw one of the smaller throw pillows at her direction. The slightly-older woman caught it easily with one hand, tossing it back after a moment’s thought, smiling wide as she wiggled her eyebrows and made a comical face.

“Well, you’re still his little sister—adopted or not,” Yoona replied, giving her a pointed look that made Sooyoung think that she was seeing the female-version of her brother’s patented ‘Don’t-argue’ stare. She had to swallow the urge to let out an unladylike snort at the realization, causing her unnie to raise an eyebrow while she spoke, “He’s kind of allowed to baby you until you’re capable to live on your own.”

“Yeah, yeah. And I appreciate it, believe me… but sometimes I wish he’d give me a break when it comes to the guys I like.”

Yoona wrinkled her nose at the last statement, thinking back to the first days she had with Sooyoung and her senior Siwon’s unusual attendance by her bedside. She recalled the pink-tipped ears her senior sported while being teased by Hyoyeon and how Changmin rolled his eyes over and over every time Sooyoung gushed about the young doctor. Changmin, in his older brother mode, was endearing—and while she understood his protectiveness, she also thought it was a tad bit excessive at times too.

“Still giving you flak about liking Siwon-sunbae, huh?”

Sooyoung nodded vigorously with a loud whine, “He thinks he’s too old for me! Pssh, he’s only 28!”

“Which gives the two of you an 8-year gap…?” Yoona trailed off, counting her fingers dubiously with a grin as Sooyoung’s eyes widened accusingly. She threw her hands up just as a pillow was launched to her face, successfully blocking the force of the object with her palms. She threw her head back and laughed as Sooyoung pelted her with a few more pillows before running out, slumping back into her couch with a huff.

“Oh, don’t start, Yoona-unnie! You sound just like Oppa!” she said, frowning with her arms crossed across her chest, “You’re supposed to be on my side! Hoes before bros and that sort of thing!”

“Sorry, Soo,” Yoona replied, still grinning despite the few teardrops wedged in the corner of her eyes from laughing too hard. She dusted and fluffed a pillow off the floor and threw it back to Sooyoung affectionately. “I’m obligated to agree with your brother too. He’s my boyfriend and all.”

The label seemed to appease Sooyoung’s mood and a smile easily made its way back into her face. “Yeah, yeah, I know. You lo~ove him.” She said, wiggling her eyebrows again—only this time for completely different reasons.

With a conspiratorial tone, she leaned forward onto her knees and whispered loudly, “So… did you guys ever make out in this room?”

“Sooyoung!” Yoona admonished, her cheeks flushing a deep red as Sooyoung squealed in excitement. She quickly bounded over to her side, latching onto Yoona’s arm so she wouldn’t escape. Yoona didn’t think she could have even if Sooyoung hadn’t locked her in place. She was still a little shocked that Changmin’s younger sister would even ask her about their—er—affairs out loud.

Yoona always thought it was Yuri who was the loud, rash one. It’s beginning to seem like Sooyoung was the actual loudmouth of the siblings.

“What? I’m 20! I’ve had my fair share of kisses!” she exclaimed, poking her on the side with her index finger repeatedly.

“It’s really not something I’m comfortable talking to my boyfriend’s sister about.” Yoona explained, squirming away from Sooyoung’s fingers with a light swat of her hand. Her eyes drifted around the room, remembering quite well how well the space worked (without the couches) as a dance floor on the night of her father’s homecoming party. She could also remember the dance Changmin lead her on and the kiss they shared…

The deep but soft kiss Changmin had pressed against her lips that left her stomach fluttering as she responded comfortably… The kiss she hadn’t stopped thinking about since the party ended over a week ago.

Yoona felt her cheeks heat up again at the thought and she quickly fanned herself with one hand. She lowered her head just as Sooyoung let out an thrilled shriek that seemed to reverberate all over the room.

“A-ha! So you have made out here!”

Yoona shook her head almost violently, the redness of her cheeks only flushing even more with her actions. “No! Just—it’s—yes, we’ve kissed here before but it’s not like you think!” she argued, pressing her palms over her cheeks in an attempt to cool them. It helped little to no good, but it at least helped hide a smudge of her embarrassment.

“Was it any good at least?” Sooyoung inquired, eyebrows wiggling again, “The kiss?”

She wasn’t entirely sure how to answer that question. It didn’t feel quite right to agree because technically Changmin was not her actual boyfriend—only pretend—but she couldn’t lie and say it wasn’t either. Because it was nice—the kiss was really nice and she did enjoy herself, despite the reasons behind it. It was one of the best kisses she’s ever had in her almost 23 years of existence.

Sooyoung was still looking at her expectantly and with a loud sigh, Yoona nodded fervently—her tone hushed as she finally answered, “Yes.”

The response was instantaneous and very, very loud. Yoona worried for a second if the maids could hear all the way across the mansion but as Sooyoung clapped her hands in glee and pulled her into a tight hug, she couldn’t find the heart to care anymore than nil. At least her pretend relationship with Changmin was believable enough for his sister. That was something, right?

“Ha! No wonder he came home practically bursting!” Sooyoung said after pulling her back from the hug, practically beaming as she clapped her hands again in excitement. Her grin was wide and contagious, knocking elbows with Yoona as she made herself comfortable against the plush couch. “I almost thought he was going to speak with that grin on his face!”

The admission made Yoona pause her smile in surprise and she looked to her companion for any sign if it was a joke or not. She had noticed once or twice before how Changmin would open his mouth at times, as though desperate to speak, only to close it again after a moment passed. She never thought much of it before, but had wondered sometimes if it his decision to be mute was something he could easily change given the right motive. She silently hoped he would speak one day, just to satisfy her curiosity.

Yoona sometimes found herself wondering what he’d sound like.

“But, of course, he didn’t.”

“Nope!”

Yoona felt her smile falter a little, disappointed even though she knew she shouldn’t be. It wasn’t like she couldn’t tell that Changmin was the type who was resolute in his choices. He set a goal and he went for it no matter what. She just wished she didn’t feel so… cheated somehow. It made no sense at all but that was how she felt. “I guess I should be impressed by his tenacity then.” She replied, nodding her head as her fingers played listlessly with each other on her lap.

It felt like a lifetime later when Sooyoung decided to speak again. “He used to talk, you know.” She began, making Yoona turn her head towards her voice in interest. Sooyoung had a peculiar expression on her face, one that had her lips turned slightly upwards in a wistful smile. “Changmin-oppa used to talk.”

“Did he really?” she asked, her tone lilting a little in anticipation. “What did he sound like?”

“He was never really talkative to begin with but he spoke to us when he felt like he needed to before. He wasn’t a complete mute back then.” Sooyoung explained, turning sideways to face her and bring her knees close to her chest. Yoona followed suit, setting herself up similarly before she spoke again, “He had that kind of melodious baritone middle-school Hallyu fangirls go crazy for. When he first came to the house even I was a little in love with his voice.”

Yoona had to smile at that last part because she believed that to be true. It wasn’t at all hard to imagine that Changmin would have that kind of quality in his voice. He was already attractive all on his own and the mysterious aura about him certainly helped boost his appeal even more. Still, she wondered how all of this—his vow of silence and the gloomy aura he exuded—came about.

What was he like befor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter