Chapter 4

Innocence

" Count all the lines in the folds

Of your Origami Eyes 

And you were made for so much better"


Taemin is walking in the halls of the hospital with a nurse he befriended a few days ago. His daddy is finally going to be discharged after a month and so, as a farewell to his second-home, Taemin had begged the nurse to show him around. He likes this nurse; a soft-spoken, shy female with a pretty smile.

They pass by rooms, some occupied by families, while some with a lonely occupant. Some rooms they enter since the nurse still has a job to do and Taemin uses this time to befriend more people. He likes meeting new friends; they come in all shapes and sizes. Once, he saw a man who had a large belly, even bigger than Santa Claus! Then, he had come across a lanky old woman, so tall that she towered over everyone!

There is a beep and Taemin sees the nurse checking the small device that always hangs on her hip. His eyes widen and the next thing he knows, he is standing outside a room while the nurse rushes into the room filled with two doctors and other nurses.

He turns around and comes face-to-face with a sobbing couple. Little Taemin looks back into the room.

Within the melee of professionals is a girl who looks to be younger than him. She is as thin as a stick and as pale as a ghost with her eyes closed shut. The doctors shout orders at the nurses as they hover over her small body, doing things to her he cannot understand, does not want to.

Suddenly, all of them come to a halt, and Taemin can now hear the sobs of the couple behind him and that incessant, heart-wrenching beep.

He does not like this one bit. The frail-looking girl looks abnormally pale now. She isn't moving, not even the motions of her breathing can be seen, almost as if....as if....

A wail of agony and despair leaves from the girl's mother as the husband consoles her, trying to keep his own emotions at bay.

The cold-hearted beep is never-ending.

Taemin vaguely registers the nurse dragging him away as his eyes never leave the girl's body.

He vaguely relives a recent memory of him encountering her in the hallways with an IV stuck to her arm. He remembers the smile she gave him and her burst of laughter as he, too blinded by the hopefullness in her eyes, collided into a garbage can.

The regret is overwhelming.

They are now in a deserted hallway. He sits beside the nurse while she cries silently. This nurse, who he had seen with the same girl once is crying her heart out as if she has just lost a loved one.

Taemin knows he has lost one too.


A/N: The quote is from "How We Used to Love" by Siv Jakobsen