Chapter 3

Innocence

 

6-year old Taemin is at the hospital, sitting on a worn out white bench with his mommy. Mommy is crying silently, with the occasional sniffs and hiccups.

 

Taemin's chest is hurting. The white-washed hospital walls dampen the already stifling atmosphere. Taemin does not understand what is going on, but he is worried. He knows Daddy is behind the two large doors with the glowing red light on top. He does not know why mommy isn't telling him. He doesn't like it. He doesn't like not knowing. But, the fact that mommy is crying so furiously can only mean something bad has happened to daddy.

 

His chest aches even more as he comes to this conclusion. Tears leak out of his chocolate eyes as Taemin looks on as his mommy cries. It hurts to see her cry.

 

Why?

 

Sniffling loudly, Taemin asks her once more what has happened to his daddy. She looks at him, as if seeing him for the first time and pulls him onto her lap. Taemin begins to suffocate from the firm hold around his stomach, but it loosens a few seconds later. His body is swiveled around to face her and she gently wipes away the tears off his flushed cheeks.

 

"Daddy was in an accident, sweetie," she chokes out.

 

"Will he be okay, Mommy?"

 

She rubs her face with her sweaty palms and plasters on a strained smile. It's the first time he has noticed just how aged she looks. Has she always looked so.....tired?

 

"I don't know, honey..."

 

She starts to cry again and Taemin decides he will not cry anymore. The painful lump in his throat hinders him though.

 

It is 5 hours later that the doctor steps out of those intimidating doors. His mother is already smiling as the man in white informs them that his daddy is fine. His mother picks him up and twirls him around in laughter and delight before setting him back on the ground.

 

She clasps his hand happily and drags him into the room his daddy is in. Taemin is happy too. The ache in his chest has stopped and relief envelopes him, yet he cannot stop the tears from falling. He is still crying. He vaguely remembers his mommy telling him to stop trying to halt the tears because it's.....it is okay to cry.

 

He wonders.