Chapter 1

Innocence

"Brothers and sisters unite
Its the time of your lives
Its the time of your lives"


Lee Taemin owns a whole collection of his favourite action figures - G.I. Joe, Power Rangers, Dragon Ball Z, Batman, you name it! He doesn't admit it, but he's very fond of his G.I. Joe action figure. He likes to play with it everyday to the disapproval of his annoying mother. It's understandable; Taemin is merely 6 years old and a 6 year old wouldn't know any better, and so she worries that he'll somehow swallow a limb or two and choke to death. But Taemin is 5 years old and he does know better than to swallow his favourite toy. Really, what's there to worry about? 
 
Taemin nestles in front of the TV once G.I Joe comes on. Five minutes on and he is trying to dedicate his full concentration on the - as his father likes to call it - "idiot box" but his eyes waver and in no time he nods sleepily. He tries to stay awake but to no avail; his shoulders hunch and his head bows as he drifts into a dreamless slumber......before the doorbell rings. He jolts up half irritated, half dazed and pops his head out the living room archway as his mother hurries to the door and opens it with a broad grin.
 
"Okaeri Jung-min-kun."
 
A male in his 20s stands in the doorway. Shaggy chocolate hair frame a pale rugged face with matching eyes. He smiles in amusement as he hugs her. "Don't tell me you're trying to learn Japanese again, Mom."
 
"Of course! You know me, I love challenges and I'm not going to let this one defeat me like last time!" she says, offended but ending her sentence with determination in her ebony eyes as her son sweatdrops. (A/N: Yea yea..this isn't an anime fic but meh, best describes the situation no? DH, out!)
 
"You must be giving Otou-san a hard time eh?"
 
The rest of their conversation is a blur as Taemin stares in awe and bubbling excitement at his hitherto absent brother. It had been, what? Three years since he left home fresh out of school to study abroad. He had changed a lot, physically at least. Taemin hopes the brother he admires dearly has not disappeared.
 
He snaps out of his reverie when he feels paper against his chin and notices his brother crouched before him, a tender smile adorning his face. "You have drool dripping down your chin," he chuckles. "Did I wake you up munchkin? You've grown taller."
 
"Of course I have! Just you wait, I'll be taller than you in no time!" retorts Taemin, trying to salvage the pride that he is presently losing. He pushes Jung-min's hand away, refusing to be doted over.
 
His brother laughs as he musses his hair and stands up. "Sure thing munchkin. I'll be looking forward to that."
 
"Stop calling me munchkin!" says Taemin as he stares at his brother's shoes in irritation. Of course, inside, he is relieved at hearing the nickname and smiles secretly; his annoying brother hasn't changed one bit.
 
"I see you still have the G.I Joe action figure."
 
Taemin wrinkles his nose and looks up to see Jung-min staring at said toy abandoned on the floor where he once sat. "Of course I still have it," Taemin says as if it's the most obvious answer in the world.
 
Jung-min looks down at him with a small doubt in his eyes and says, "I thought you hate G.I Joe."
 
"I-I-I do....but....." Taemin looks down at the floor in embarrassment. He himself does not know why he still takes care of the toy as if it's the most valuble artefact in the world. Jung-min had gifted the toy to him before heading off for the states, not aware of his younger brother's hatred for the cartoon. Jung-min had told him he could throw it away if he'd like, but Taemin never had the heart to. He still does not understand why.
 
Jung-min messes up his hair again and crouches down in front of the boy. He smiles, understanding in his eyes. "Wanna get some ice-cream kiddo?"
 
Taemin jumps in excitement - already forgetting their previous conversation - and screams a "Yes" before heading towards his room to hunt for his sandals, his mother right at his heel because she knows he won't be able to find them. Plus, she needs to comb that fussy hair of his.
 
After much nagging and pulling on his mother's part and complaints on his, Taemin emerges from the confines of his room, grabs his amused brother's hand and drags him out the door. He does not listen to what he calls out to his mother, ice cream being the one thing on his mind right now.
 
"Slow down there munchkin. The ice creaem shop isn't running away!"
 
Jung-min laughs at his brother's eagerness as they walk down the orange-drenched streets of their hometown.