Snuggling, One of the Best Forms of Skin Ship

Icy Wall, Warm Heart

“I like this one.  What is it called?” I asked Youngmin, fondling a leafy vine that hung down from a plant that draped over the side of a bookcase.

Youngmin shrugged.  “I don’t know.  My parents are the ones who decorated this place.  Well, mostly my mom, but I know my dad likes them, too, but he doesn’t have the taste my mom does.”

I stepped over to a low, rock formation in the corner of the study.  It was low and small, mostly flat rocks piled on top of each other to create a natural-looking feature with a bowl-shaped area at the bottom.  Little plants grew along the rocks, seemingly impossible and beautiful.  I didn’t touch most of the plants, but sometimes I couldn’t help myself.  My finger ran tenderly along the green moss-like plant that grew in soft tufts.  My finger came back wet.

“How-?”

Youngmin grinned.  “Watch this.”  He crouched next to the wall, half of him hidden behind the cascade of rock.  I couldn’t see what he was doing and I craned my neck to catch a glimpse to get some clue as to what he was up to.  Suddenly, Youngmin stood up and with him an almost unnoticeable sound of running water filled the otherwise quiet room.  Almost spontaneously, water spilled out of the top of the rocks, trickling downward and filled the small basin at the base.  My eyes widened in surprise and excitement.  I knelt down (cringing slightly), looking at the pool of water, the rippling water reflecting the lights.

“Uwah!”  I took in the entire structure, memorizing every detail to draw later. 

Youngmin knelt next to me.  “The water travels through all of the small crevices and these small plants sink their small, delicate roots into the cracks to reach it.  The water recycles itself all throughout these rocks so the plants always have a supply, no matter how small.”

“It’s, it’s amazing,” I whispered, not taking my gaze away.  I wanted to stay there the entire day with my sketch pad and capture every feature.  “Beautiful.”

I more felt than heard Youngmin chuckle beside me.  “You keep using that word.”

I tore my eyes away from the waterfall and looked at him.  “But it’s the perfect word to describe everything around here -the architecture, the landscaping, the plants, the colors, even you and your family.  Even though I haven’t met your parents, I’m sure they are as wonderful as I imagine them to be, and-”

“You think I’m beautiful?”

The question took me off guard and I blushed, quickly looking back at the waterfall.  “I didn’t say that.”

“Yes you did!  You did!” Youngmin poked my shoulder playfully.  “Admit it!”

“I didn’t say that!” I repeated.

“You said ‘you and your family.’  That includes me!”  This boy seemed way too excited.

“Okay, well, I didn’t mean it like that,” I tried.

“Really?  How did you mean it then?”

I hesitated, thinking rapidly.  “Your personality.  You have a beautiful personality.”  I smiled happily, knowing that was true as well.

“What about my personality is beautiful?”

“What are you?  Mister twenty questions?” I asked sarcastically.

“With you?  Yes.”

I rolled my eyes, willing my blush to go away.

“If you don’t tell me, I’ll have to tickle it out of you,” he threatened.

I whipped my head towards him sharply.  “You wouldn’t.”

“I would.”  He held up his hands, wriggling his fingers menacingly.

“But I’m injured!” I cried, playing the defenseless card.  “If you tickle me, you’ll just hurt me more.”

His face fell.  “Okay, fine.  I won’t tickle you.  But you still have to tell me.”

“I don’t have to tell you anything.”

Though pouting, a smirk pulled at his eyes.  “Well then, how am I going to get you to tell me how my personality is beautiful?” 

“You never will.  Perhaps on my own time I’ll tell you eventually.  That is, if you earn it.”  It was my turn to grin playfully.

A thoughtful expression took over his face.  “Maybe I can speed up the process.”

He leaned closer to me, inching nearer and nearer.  As he moved in, I moved out, tipping over in my attempt to avoid him.

“What are you doing?” I hollered at him, propping myself up on my elbows even though it hurt.

“What does is look like?  Trying to get some answers.”

“You sure do use strange tactics.”

Youngmin hovered over me, a grin on his face.  I wanted to slap it right off.

His head lowered and I panicked.  Pushing him away, I scrambled up against the wall, knees to my chest.

“S-stop doing that!” I shouted, pointing my finger at him.

“What?”  In what seemed like an instant, he was right in front of me again on his hands and knees.

“That!  Getting all close like that!”

“You don’t like it?”  He moved his head around my knees, moving forward ever so slightly.  I pushed myself up more firmly against the wall.  “Just tell me what I want to know.”

“You know, this isn’t the part of you that I think is beautiful,” I told him.

“Then what is?”

I hesitated, but out of fear of what he might do, I finally gave in.  “When you smile all of the time and care for people with all of your heart, that’s when I think you are beautiful.  When you stop what you are doing to help someone, even if it inconveniences you -that is beautiful.  How you pout when you don’t get what you want, that gleam in your eyes when you’re scheming.  The way you work hard at the things you love like track and working hard at school.  Your perseverance, your sincerity, your patience.  Those are what make you beautiful.”

I blushed harder at my cheesy monologue.  This only happens in dramas and movies and books ---not in real life!  Ugh!  Someone just kill me now!  Bury me in a hole!  I’d looked down when I was talking, but I lifted my eyes to Youngmin.  The impishness had left his face and in its place was a softer expression.

“Thank you, Jin,” he said in a low, gruff voice.  “You really think I’m beautiful?”  I nodded slowly and he smiled again.  Finishing the distance between us, he placed a quick kiss to my cheek and then backed away.  He lay down on the floor, staring up at the ceiling.  I touched the spot where he had kissed me, dazed.

“You know, this entire time I thought that you didn’t think I was hot or gorgeous or incredibly-god-like-y like most of the other girls do.”  His voice broke me out of my thoughts and he tilted his head to look at me, still smiling.  “I’m glad to know that I was right.”

The atmosphere was too thick, too emotional.  I needed to change it.  “What, you don’t like the idea of everyone drooling over you?”  A smile tugged at my lips, a half-attempt at sarcasm.

“Nah, it gets old after a while.  But there is one thing I’m curious about.”  I looked at him expectantly.  “Do you find me attractive?  Like, do you think I’m cute?”  He seemed to blush at these words, but I couldn’t tell for sure.

I studied him as if just noticing his physical features for the first time.  “I don’t know~” I teased, dodging an answer.

He frowned at this.  “Oh come on!  You did call me ‘pretty-boy’ at one time.”

“That was meant as an insult,” I told.

“I know, but you still called me pretty.”  He grinned.

I laughed.  “Yeah, I guess you’re attractive in your own way.  I mean come on, if you weren’t, then half the girls wouldn’t be fawning over you all the time.”

“But do you think I’m cute?”

“What difference does that make?”

“It just does.”

I groaned.  “I can’t believe we are having this conversation.”

“On whether I’m cute or not?”  Youngmin sat up.  “Why can’t you believe it?”

“I guess I’ve never had this kind of conversation with a guy before.”

“But you have with girls?”

“Of course.”

“Well then what’s so different about this?”  I was stumped for an answer.  He smirked.  “I get it.  You do think I’m cute and just don’t want to admit it.”  He seemed dangerously smug.  “Have you fallen for me already?”

I rolled my eyes.  “You should have someone check that head of yours.  I think it’s filled with hot air.”

“So I’m right!”

“Youngmin, listen up.  I don’t usually associate with cute guys, and yes, you fall into that category.  They are calloused and insolent and arrogant.  That’s why I didn’t really trust you when we met.  But then I got to know you a bit more and realized that not all cute guys are like that.  So don’t screw that up.”

Youngmin’s eyes had gone wide.  “So you do think I’m cute!”

I face-palmed myself.  “Is that the only thing you got out of what I said?”

“No.”  I heard him scoot closer until I felt him right beside me.  I turned to peer at him through my fingers.  “I’m glad you trust me.  I’m happy that we’re friends now.  And I’m glad you don’t think of me like that anymore.”

I smiled at him.  “Me too.”

We were silent; the only noise the musical trickle of the water.  Youngmin was the first to break the eye contact, leaning his head against the wall.  “You’re beautiful, too.”

“Don’t lie.  It’s not nice.”

“But I’m not lying!”  His loud outburst shook me.  “Mian,” he said, lowering his voice.  “But why won’t you believe me?”

I turned my head towards the waterfall, watching the light bounce off of the moving liquid.  “Too many people have told me otherwise and I see it for myself every day.  And you are famous for being nice.”

“So just because I’m nice means I’m a liar?  How does that make sense?”

“Not that you’re a liar, but that you’ll lie to make other people feel good.”

He took my face in his hands, cupping my cheeks, forcing me to look at him.  “You said you trusted me.  Trust me on this when I say that I will never lie to you.  Ever.  You got that?  And because I will never lie to you, I mean it when I say that you are beautiful.  I’ve always thought that.”

My blush that had finally faded came back burning.  “You’re doing it again.”

“Doing what?” He seemed momentarily lost.

“Going overboard with the skin ship.”  He stared at me in disbelief.  “And I do trust you.  So thank you, I guess.”

“You believe me now?”

“Mhm.”

“Good.”  His voice changed from assuring to playful.  “Now, about the skinship.  I like it.”  He smiled cutely, rubbing his cheek to mine.

“Yah!  That’s enough!”  My cry of indignation sizzled out in bubbly laughter that I’d never heard come from my own mouth.  I froze, disbelieving.  When realization at what I had just done dawned on me, I doubled my efforts in pushing Youngmin away.  “I can’t believe you!  How could you do that to me?”

“Do you really not like skinship that much?”

“It’s not about the freaking skinship!  You freaking made me giggle!  Giggle!”  I slumped in self-disappointment.

“You make it sound as if it were a bad thing.”  He’d wrapped his arms around my shoulders, attaching himself to me, our cheeks pressed together.

“It is a bad thing!”

“Why?  I think it’s cute.”

I wasn’t opposed to giggling, not really.  I really hated the fake, sugar-coated giggles that girls made around cute boys (aka: Youngmin).  But true giggles, ones made out of innocence and giddiness, those were to be feared.  They meant something weird, something flirtatious.  And I didn’t want to go there.  How could I explain that to this kid?

“I just can’t believe you did that to me.”

“What do you mean?”

“You’re too cute for your own good!”  I found after our awkward conversation, it was easier to admit his attractiveness.

“What did I do?”

“This whole skinship thing you’re pushing onto me.  You’re trying so hard,” I broke out in a smile.  “You must really like it if you’re willing to go to all of this trouble.”

Youngmin hugged me tighter.  “So this is okay?  This made you giggle?”  He sounded really happy.  “Will you do it again?”

“I suppose it’s fine.  As long as –wait, do it again?”  Unexpectedly, the boy picked me up with little effort and settled me on his lap, holding my waist.  “Yah!  What do you think you are doing?”

He snuggled into me, his forehead resting on my shoulder.  “Snuggling,” he replied simply.  “One of the best forms of skin ship.”

I shifted uncomfortably, “But this…”

“Just chill.  You’ll get used to it.” 

I tried to do what he said and leaned against him, resting in his arms.  At first, we just sat like that, not moving, neither of us saying a word.  The tinkling of the waterfall was the only sound.  I unwound, telling myself to unlock my muscles.  A few moments after I did so, I felt Youngmin press his lips against my neck.  It was light and gentle, his soft lips barely grazing the skin.  I guess it could only be called a kiss on the broadest of terms.  Yet, even knowing that, it made my heart flutter.

“Y-youngmin?”  I hated how my voice quivered, causing me to stutter.

“Why did you stop calling me oppa?” he asked, his words coming out as quiet as mine.

“Honorifics are too confusing,” I admitted grudgingly.  He chuckled.

“Then I’ll make it easy for you.  Just call me oppa all of the time.”

“Araso, oppa.”

More time passed and I felt my eyes droop.  After a fit of nightmares the night before, I’d given up on sleep.  But here in Youngmin’s arms, I felt safe and drowsiness was overtaking me.

“Oppa?”

“Yeh?”

“I should probably go.”

He stiffened and held me tighter.  “Ani.”

“But oppa, I didn’t sleep well last night and, well, I hate to admit it, but I’m tired.  If I stay like this, I could fall asleep any moment.”  I felt the blush rising again.

“Then sleep.  I don’t mind.” 

His answer took me aback.  “But oppa…”

“Let’s watch a movie so you can fall asleep.”

Gently, slowly, he lifted me up and –despite my protests- carried me to the TV room.  He laid me on the low sofa and rushed to a chest.  Opening it, he took out a basket of movies and set them in front of me.

“You can pick one out and I’ll go get a blanket.”

 Without waiting for a reply, he hurried out of the room to some unknown closet.  Sighing, I flipped through the movies.  Since I don’t usually watch TV or ever go to the theatres, I didn’t know most of the titles.  Finally settling on one, I waited for Youngmin’s return.  I heard him before I saw him.  He came stumbling around the corner, the blanket falling all around him, getting tangled around his feet.  Youngmin missed the short step into the room and fell with a thud.  Worried, I was at his side searching among the folds of the blanket.  I lifted one more layer and he poked his blonde head through.

“Peek a boo!” I giggled.

He grinned.  “Okay, that was totally worth it.”

“What was?”

“Looking like a babo to hear you giggle again.”

I mussed his hair.  “Aish, this kid…” I murmured to myself.

He grinned wider at my embarrassed smile.  “What movie did you pick?” he asked.  I waved at the sofa.

“Come see.”  I helped him with the blanket as he examined the movie.

“This?” he asked, incredulous.

Does he not like this movie?

“We don’t have to watch it,” I was quick to say.  “It was just a suggestion.”

“Ani, I was just surprised.  This is one of my favorite Disney movies.” He blushed.

I couldn’t help it, a giggle bubbled out of my mouth.  I clapped my hands over my mouth, embarrassed.  “Yah!  That’s three times in one day!  Stop being so cute!”

He shrugged innocently and started playing the movie.  Dimming the light, he jumped onto the sofa, pulling me on top of him with the blanket.

“Ani!  Not during the movie.”

“But I want to cuddle!” he whined.

I slid off of his lap and sat next to him, leaning against his arm.  “Then cuddle like this if you’re so determined.”  I tried to sound as if it didn’t matter to me, but my heart was racing, butterflies creating a tornado in my stomach.

“Ok~” He reached an arm around my shoulders and tugged me closer, my head lying on his chest.  It rose and fell steadily, creating a rhythm.  I breathed with him, matching it.  In, out.  In, out.  My eyelids grew heavier until I could barely open them again when I blinked.  Finally, my eyes closed and stayed shut.

 

I awoke to quiet murmurs. 

“I came home to home like this,” a female voice whispered.  “They looked so cute and comfortable that I couldn’t bear to wake them up.”

I stirred, forcing myself to remember where I was, to rise from my slumber.  I opened my eyes, taking in my surroundings as memories of what had happened coursed through my mind.

Oh my gosh!

I tried to extract myself from Youngmin, but he held me securely in both arms.  Somehow during our nap Youngmin had gotten under me and we both lay horizontally on the sofa.  My cheek was pressed to his chest, my hands resting in loose fists in front of me.  Our legs were a tangled mess in the blanket.  More whispers came from somewhere behind me and I stirred more, attempting to break free.  My restlessness woke Youngmin and I heard him make soft waking noises.  He opened his eyes and looked down at me.

“Hi,” I smiled.

Bleary-eyed, he returned my smile.  “Hi.”  Then his dark eyes widened, all traces of sleep vanishing.  “What time is it?” he removed one of his arms, checking his watch, the color draining from his face.  “Crap.”

“What is it?”

The boy turned to me, his expression grave.  “My parents are home.”

My face burned and I remembered the whispers.  “Yeh, and I think they saw us already.”

Youngmin threw his head back, groaning.  “I will never hear the end of this.”

“It was your idea,” I reminded.  “Not my fault you fell asleep, too.”  I laid my head back on his chest, momentarily shutting my eyes.  I felt something brush my cheek, pushing back the hair that had fallen in my face.  Sighing, I looked at Youngmin.  “I suppose it’s time for me to go home.”  I checked Youngmin’s watch and balked.  “6:13!?”  I’d stayed at his house for over seven hours.  I glanced up at the blonde.  “My parents are going to kill me.”

“Mianhe,” he looked so regretful and guilty.

“I’m not mad at you.  Actually, I think that was the best sleep I’ve had in a while.”

He smirked, but his heart wasn’t in it.  “Did you dream of me?”

I thought back.  “No.”  His face fell.  “I didn’t dream at all, really.”

“Well, I dreamed about you.”

“You did?”

“Yep.”

“What was it about?” 

He shook his head.  “Nu-uh.  You’re not the only one who gets to keep secrets.”

“But that’s not fair!  You always get the answers out of me.  How can I persuade you to tell me?”

An impish gleam light his eyes.  “I can think of something.”

“What is it?” 

He paused, obviously fighting off a smirk –a true one.  “Kiss me.”

I blanched at his words, and then smacked his chest.  “Yah!  Don’t tease like that!”

“Who said I was teasing?”

“How could you not be?  You can’t be serious!”

He started laughing.  “It’s too much fun to mess with you.”

I tried to push away from him but he refused to budge.  “Yah, don’t be like that.  I was only joking~”

I thumped him once lightly on his chest, showing I was still displeased with him.  “Come on, take me home.”

He let me push myself off of him and I sat up, rubbing my eyes tiredly.  Youngmin stood up and stretched, raising his arms above his head, his shirt lifting ever so slightly and showing the white waistband of his underwear and a bit of skin.  I blushed and averted my gaze.  Youngmin turned around, eyes suddenly narrowing.

“What are you doing?  How long have you been there?”

I glanced over my shoulder and saw Kwangmin leaning against the corner.  An amused smile played across his face as he said, “Long enough to see that Chung Ae-ssi doesn’t stand a chance.”

I didn’t know what he meant by that, but the comment made Youngmin blush.

“Yah!  What are trying to say?”

His darker-haired twin chuckled, shaking his head.  “You know exactly what I’m talking about.”

With a wave of his fingers, he disappeared around the corner.  Both of us stared at the empty spot for a moment before I spoke up.

“What did he mean, oppa?”

The boy shook his head dismissfully.  “Come on, I’ll take you home.” 

He took my hand and led me back through the house, stopping just a moment for a brief, awkward chat with his parents who were as wonderful as I expected them to be.  The ride home was silent as both of us were still sleepy and couldn’t keep up a whole conversation.  He walked me up to my front door and he paused, as if not wanting to leave.

“Good night, Jin.”

“Good night, Youngmin-oppa.”  I turned to the door, my hand on the door handle.

Wait,” Youngmin stopped me.  “No good night kiss?”

I couldn’t believe this kid.  The corners of my mouth twitched up and I rose up on my toes, bringing my face to his.  It was his turn to be shocked at my boldness, but he responded positively, dipping his head as if to meet me half-way.  Before our lips could touch, I turned my head and whispered in his ear, “Nice try, pretty boy.”  Then I fled into the house, leaving a speechless Youngmin on the door step.  Once safely inside, I leaned against the door, breathing hard, thinking over what all had happened that day.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

So how was the double update? Did you like it? Cuz believe me, I really enjoyed writing :)

@2yendis: Thank you for your comments.  They really make me happy :) And thank you for your advice. It really helped me. I just sat up to my computer and started writing what felt right instead of thinking about it and trying to make it sound good.

I'm at 7 subscribers! Totally made my day, and the commetns too. Thank you for your support! I'm glad you've enjoyed my story and I hope you continue to like it :)

Until next time!