I Actually Looked...Pretty

Icy Wall, Warm Heart

 

The next morning was a beautiful day.  The air was crisp with that late summer-early fall freshness.  Our neighborhood was unusually quiet and I took the opportunity to take out my sketch pad and meditate.  With no set picture in my head, my hand fluttered across the page in general, abstract lines.  However, as I continued and before I realized what I was doing, my intensity increased and my brows furrowed in concentration.  Usually when I draw, I have my white artist’s eraser in my other hand to clean up my mistakes, but my eraser was forgotten at the moment.  Without my realizing it, a picture formed beneath the graphite tip of my pencil.  Not until I finished shading did I take a look at my latest work and gasp in surprise.

Two dark mesmerizing eyes penetrated through the paper, staring back at me.  How many times had I drawn Youngmin’s eyes?  Too many for it to be considered healthy.  I debated tearing it out of my sketch pad, but it was too good to throw away.  Besides, who would know who these eyes belonged to?  Who would even see it in the first place?  No one, and that consoled me.

Setting aside my artwork for the moment, a knock sounded at my door.  Knowing it was most probably my mother, I beckoned her in.  When I had gotten home the night before, I was grateful she hadn’t pestered me with questions about Youngmin.  I still didn’t know how I felt about him and I most certainly didn’t want to talk about it until I was completely sure.

“Hey baby,” she greeted sweetly.  I smiled tightly.  I hated when she called me that, but I never said anything about it, knowing that she meant it affectionately.  “What are you doing?”

“I was just drawing, but I’m bored now.”

Her eyes glittered in excitement and I groaned inwardly, suspecting what would come next.  Please no.  Please no.  Please no.  I repeated in my mind.

“Then let’s go shopping!”

Dang it.  Why do I even bother?

“Yeah!” I faked my enthusiasm.  “That sounds great!  Let me grab my purse and we can go.”

Reluctantly, I shouldered my bag and followed my umma out the door.

 

“What about this one?” my mother asked, holding up a jade green satin blouse.  It would look great on her, everything did, but I especially liked that color best.  It accentuated the creaminess of her skin and her thick, dark hair and big eyes.  Despite being in her late 40s, my mother had looks that hid her age.

I smiled.  “I like that, you should get it.  Wait, try it on with this.”  A black pencil skirt caught my eye and I handed it to her.  As excited as a little girl getting a new sundress, my mother snatched the skirt from my hand and rushed to the dressing rooms.  I laughed at her childishness.  In spite of my earlier hesitation, I was enjoying myself.  Shopping wasn't really my thing, but I loved seeing my mom happy.  Sure, people were giving us odd looks, but I ignored them the best I could.

“Are you done yet?” I called to her outside the dressing room door.

“Just a second…”  The door opened and out stepped a woman who looked fabulous, like always.

“You’re gorgeous, mom,” I complimented honestly.  A tinge of pink grew on her cheeks and she thanked me modestly.  “No, really, you should get that and wear it on your next date with Dad.  He’s been so busy with the company, he needs a night off.  And it wouldn’t hurt to have a pretty distraction,” I winked at her and she giggled like a school girl.

“What about you?  You haven’t tried on anything at all,” my mother pointed out.

“Um,” I looked around at all the mature clothing around me.  Party dresses, satin blouses, dress pants, sleek high-heeled shoes surrounded me.  “This isn’t really my kind of store.”

My mother looked around as well, her eyes lighting upon a short, pink cupcake dress.  “What about this?  You would look adorable in that dress!”  Before I could object, she whisked it off the rack, throwing it in the dressing room while shoving me inside.

Sighing, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to try it on and then tell her I don’t like it.  I loved my mother to death and would do anything to please her, but fashion was one thing I did not compromise on.  Slipping on the dress, I viewed myself in the mirror.  What I saw before me was a stranger.  The flowy tulle skirt ruffled at the ends and the beading along the sweetheart neckline was breathtaking.  I’d never tried on -let alone owned- such a dress before.  Even with my long blonde hair in its naturally messy waves, I thought I actually looked...pretty.

  6473F.jpg (Obviously the pink one is the one Jin’s wearing)

“Jin Haneul,” my mother’s voice broke me out of my trance, “are you going to show me the dress?”

Hesitantly, I stepped out, looking down at the material of the skirt.  I heard my mother gasp before she began her cooing.

“You look so beautiful in that!  See?  I knew we would find you something here!  Oh my goodness, look at how amazingly stunning you are!”  I blushed at all of her rambling compliments.  “We are getting it and that is final!” my mother suddenly declared.  “And once we find you some shoes, you can wear that to the party your appa’s business is hosting.”

My head snapped up at that last part.  “Business party?” I repeated stupidly.

“Oh yes,” my umma went on excitedly, “there should be lots of opportunities for appa to meet lots of very important people.  Of course, you just have to go!  We want to show off our beautiful daughter to everyone!  Although, appa might have to fend off all of his younger colleagues who will by vying for your attention!”

“Umma!” I shouted, mortified.  “Don’t say such things!  It’s too embarrassing!  When is this party?  Why haven’t I heard about it before?”

“We just found out about it Friday.  It will be held this Friday.”

I groaned inwardly again.  Why must I go to a stupid, boring party for adults?  But I mustn’t complain, I’ll just have to endure it.

“Let’s keep shopping,” I said, to distract Mother from her babble about the party.  I didn’t want to think about it.  “Fall is practically here and I need new clothes better suited for the weather here.”

A new light shined in the woman’s eyes.  “You’re right; this mission is not yet accomplished!  We must hurry and find you a new wardrobe!”  With that, she grabbed my hand and rushed me out of the boutique to another store of my choosing where I could buy myself some casual clothes.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

So this was kind of a short, filler chapter, but I wanted to show that Jin really does have a good relationship with her mom, in spite of her ...problems. Besides, I love clothes and couldn't help but include a shopping trip ^_^ Was it too boring? I hope not. Tell me, cuz if you don't I may or may not include more (boring) shopping chapters.

Also, the model in the pic doesn't really look like Jin. Do you know how hard it is to find models that can pull of the sweet, innocent look that Jin has? It's very difficult. So, usually when I post a pic with the story, it's probably about one certain feature (ie: clothes, hairstyle, eyes, etc) and I will let you know what I am showing.

I hope I don't make Jin seem like a creeper cuz she keeps drawing Youngmin's eyes. They are just so captivating and gorgeous!

And you guys won't believe this! I have one more subbie!!!!! My heart is soaring :D And I also have a comment! My first comment! Lovely, happy day! Thank you 2yendis for that beautiful comment :)

Continue to make me happy and subscribe and comment please!