Like a

Mr. Choi's Bar

“What?! Daesung is really sick? I thought it was one of your tricks!” I shouted at Jiyong from the back of the car.

It was almost 6pm and we had to hurry up now. We were in Seunghyun’s car, going to the bar.

“I was serious okay, Daesung called me this morning…” Jiyong explained “Aish, why this kid tightened this bandage?!” he complained then looking at his foot.

“You think you can work tonight?” Seunghyun asked him as he was concentrating on the road.

“Yeah, of course I’m the boss too! It would be a disaster without me!” he chuckled. “By the way, are you dating noona?” he suddenly asked. Yeah, I was kinda curious too!

“Yah, no! She’s just a friend… I-I didn’t tell you but we’re friends since childhood…” he retorted.

“You knew unni? Oh she didn’t tell me…” I was really surprised. It must be when she was rich and when she was living in downtown.

“Neh, but it’s just friendship okay! I don’t date my employees… And you should do the same Ji!” he said as he chuckled. Wait, he thought Jiyong and I were together?

“We’re just friends oppa! We’re professional!” I declared.

 

~

 

We arrived at the bar but we were late as there were already some customers. I get dressed in a few minutes and I was ready to sing. I saw Jiyong welcoming some customers in a rush. He was limping. He was suffering from his foot, I could saw it on his face. He pretended to be fine, to be perfect for the customers but I could see pain on his face. I was feeling guilty… Yeah it was my fault. He grimaced as he took the customers’ orders and gingerly limped towards the counter.  

“2 whiskeys, Seungri!” he shouted to the bartender. He looked at me and seemed to be amused by my concerned look.

“Yah, don’t pity me! I’m fine really, it’s my job! And I don’t want to let hyung in this !” He declared “You should sing now, the customers are already annoyed!” he added.

Yeah, I had to sing! I took the mic and I winked at Taeyang who was ready to perform. I first sang Lonely, Ugly and I don’t care . Yeah I knew, I was always singing 2NE1’s songs. It wasn’t my fault if I was a fan! But it was clear that the customers disliked 2NE1… Or they just disliked my voice? They were so rude. Tonight they weren’t applauding me, or cheering. They were just drinking, groaning or shouted. Half of the crowd was already drunk and the other half wasn’t interested by my songs. Moreover, they were complaining about the waiters. Indeed, many people were waiting for their drinks. The guys were overwhelmed! Jiyong was walking difficultly and Seunghyun was simply too stressed and kept stammering to people. And finally Seungri was… drinking his own cocktails! Some people were leaving the place without even drinking!

I could hear some people groaning “I’m thirsty!”, “Waiter!”, “It’s really messy here!”, “It’s annoying!” and all. I couldn’t concentrate! Then Jiyong, hampered by his foot, tripped over a chair and threw the contents of the glasses he was carrying on a customer.

“! I’m sorry mister!” Jiyong apologized as he bowed to the customer. But this one, entirely wet, was fuming! He even stood up to shout at Jiyong! Oh gosh, what to do? I should maybe change my songs to entertain these people and save the mood! There were many men so I could use my charms?

“Taeyang, do we have a Hi-fi?” I asked discretely to my colleague.

“Yeah, of course, just here! Why?”

“You’ll help the guys with the customers. I’ll make it with the Hi-fi!” I declared. The place was noisier now because the angry customer was shouting at Jiyong. The latter was lowering his head even if his only wish was to kick the man out. Seunghyun was also next to him, apologizing but he couldn’t calm the customer.

I went in the dressing room quickly, opening my locker. I rummaged in my bag looking for something special: my CD! There were all the songs we were performing, Bommie unni and I, when we were in the street. I grabbed it and rushed to the Hi-Fi.

The show must go on…

As the situation was becoming worse and worse, I began to sing…

“I’m really sorry mister, it won’t happen again!” Seunghyun apologized again.

“Do you know how expensive this suit was?” the customer yelled.

“, I don’t care! So please, shut up now!” Jiyong shouted fed up as his foot was painful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWlz5TIw3Dk

I made it through the wilderness
Somehow I made it through
Didn't know how lost I was
Until I found you

I was beat incomplete
I'd been had, I was sad and blue
But you made me feel
Yeah, you made me feel
Shiny and new…

The entire crowd recognized the song immediately, most of the customers spat out their drinks, and stared at me. Even the fuming customers turned his face to look at me, forgetting the clash. I was standing on stage, dancing along to the music with the mic in my hand. His jaw dropped and he sat again, enjoying the show.

I tried to avoid making eye contact with anyone in the bar, instead focusing on a spot above their heads on the other side of the room. It was difficult to move in the heels, but I mostly bumped my hips from side to side, holding the mic with my right hand.

The guys were also looking at me, stunned and speechless.  They should continue to work! I wasn’t singing Madonna’s“Like a ” for nothing!

Like a
Touched for the very first time
Like a
With your heart beats
Next to mine

Some guys were now standing and dancing, their drinks in their hands. People pulsed forwards, moving from their tables and the bar to crowd in front of me. Then I took the microphone from it's stand, still singing the chorus while walking down the stage, my hips swaying. A smile pulled at my lips without my acknowledgement and I carefully make my way in the crowd. I started moving around the tables singing and moving around seductively and I reached Jiyong who was still standing like an idiot.

He watched me approach and I reached out a hand, setting it on his neck. I grabbed his shirt bringing his face closer to mine while I continued singing.

Gonna give you all my love, boy
My fear is fading fast
Been saving it all for you
'Cause only love can last

“Stop working now, Taeyang will replace you!” I whispered as quickly as I could in Jiyong’s ear before making him sit on a chair. I made my way to the counter, realizing that all the customers were now singing with me. I noted that there were more and more customers in the bar and even outside on the sidewalk looking at me.

You're so fine and you're mine
Make me strong, yeah you make me bold
Oh your love thawed out
Yeah, your love thawed out
What was scared and cold

I climbed relatively gracefully onto the counter, helped by Taeyang while trying to ignore how much my feet were already screaming from the short stint in heels. A hand on my mic and the other sliding up the side of my body I leaned over, my eyes on the crowd and I did one of those flirty winks. The crowd was under my spell!

Like a (hey)
Touched for the very first time
Like a
With your heart beats
Next to mine

I went down but behind the counter this time, next to Seungri. I handed the mic to him and let him sing the "Oooh, oooh, oooh” part. But his voice cracked and everyone booed. I just laughed because it was funny. The other guys were less stressed because the customers weren’t complaining anymore. And they were taking good time too. I could see Taeyang taking off his shirt in front of some ladies who were just amazed. Seunghyun was dancing a weird dance with his hands in the air. And Jiyong… Well, he was just looking at me.

 

 

I climbed on the counter a second time and I removed my heels! It was getting hot too but I couldn’t take off my dress right now!

You're so fine and you're mine
I'll be yours 'till the end of time
'Cause you made me feel
Yeah, you made me feel
I've nothing to hide

Like a (hey)
Touched for the very first time
Like a
With your heart beats
Next to mine

Like a , ooh, ooh
Like a
Feels so good inside
When you hold me, and your heart beats, and you love me


I made my way back to the stage, a bit tired by this performance.

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Ooh, baby
Can't you hear my heart beat
For the very first time?

As soon as I had finished, the applause was deafening. The sound of applause was my drug as I smiled at the customers that were there for the show. I was really proud, but the night wasn’t over because…

“Ladies and gentleman, I would like to do an announcement!” Seunghyun oppa shouted as everyone was listening to him now. He walked to Jiyong who was now standing and wrapped his arm around his shoulders “We are the owners of this bar, since 4 years! It was a hard work but we’re still here!” he shouted even louder raising his arm as the customers applauded. “There are some rumors about us and this bar… Yah, everyone! This bar is not a gay bar! And these guys, this guy,” he pointed to Jiyong who was a bit embarrassed then, “are not gays okay? So, I want everyone to know that our bar is welcoming and lively too! This is THE place to be now so come back soon!”

 

~

 

I stayed all the night with my father in his hospital room. He looked so pale and weak. He was like this since he lost his company. He wasn’t the same man after this. But I hoped he could recover from this. I took his hand in mines caressing it. He was everything to me, really. It was odd because usually girls are always closer with their mother than with their father. But I wasn’t a normal girl. I always was closer with my father. We shared many things together. We were going to the zoo, to the theater when I was a child. Then, afterward he was helping me with my homework, driving me to school too. He even comforted me when my first boyfriend dumped me!

I sighed, thinking about the guys, about Chaerin too. She was alone with all these men, I was worry! Then I felt my father’s hand moving. I looked at him seeing he was awake.

“Dad! Don’t worry, you’re at the hospital. You collapsed earlier…” I whispered to him smiling.

“I remember well… Your mother?” he asked weakly

“She’ll come after her job! You have to rest dad, you scared me…” I said placing my other hand on his forehead.

“This man earlier… Choi… Is it really his name?” he asked suddenly

“Y-yeah, he is running one of his father’s bar. I work for him. He was one of my friends when…” I explained but my father interrupted me.

“Don’t see him again.” He shouted suddenly recovering his strength.

“W-why?” I asked shocked.

“He’s a Choi! These men destroyed us! It’s because of them if I’m ruined now! I was too powerful, and I was becoming a threat for them… They destroyed us…” he explained

I was speechless, almost angry at my father because I thought it couldn’t be true.

“They didn’t destroy us dad, a-and Seunghyun was just a teen when it happened, he couldn’t…”

“He’s just like his father! He’ll tell you you’re his friend, he’ll make you feel at ease, you’ll think he appreciates you… And you won’t realize that he actually uses you for his one benefit! Then he’ll just ruin you…” my father whispered almost crying. “His father, Choi Hong Hi, was my best friend, like my brother and he betrayed me twice! I beg you Bom, forget this guy!” I could see pain in my father’s eyes. So this man, Choi Hong Hi, really made my father suffering? I knew they were really close but after the incident I never heard about his name again.

But Seunghyun wasn’t like this. He was kind, honest… It couldn’t be true…

 

~

 

“Chae!” I heard someone calling me as I was leaving the bar. I had a warm hoodie on me, with jeans and converse. I was feeling better than with heels. I was exhausted as hell as I could hardly open my eyes. The street was calm now, all the customers had left the place. It was dark, cold and humid. it was raining now! I just wanted to go home, to wrap myself in my duvet. I would sleep all the next day and I Kwon Jiyong if he dares waking me!

A white, long car pulled up next to me, and the window was lowered. I continued to walk, not wanting to have any interaction with strangers in suspicious-looking cars.

"I thought you would be smart enough to know that when it rains, people usually carry umbrellas." The man said. I rolled my eyes, knowing who was speaking.

“And I thought you would be smart enough to know that it’s not advisable to drive with a broken foot.” I chided. He smiled lightly and replied

“It’s not broken, but thanks taking care of me mommy!” Jiyong retorted teasingly, « Get in. »

I stopped mid-step. I looked at him, shocked, only seeing the top rims of his glasses, "Excuse me?"

"I said, 'Get in.'! It’s dangerous for a young girl like you… In these dark streets. Moreover I think you most of the customers tonight… They could stalk you!"

It was now raining heavily. The biting air hit me once more and I resolved to get in the car with him, rather than continue the excruciatingly cold walk home. I opened the door, stepped in and closed the door behind me.

“So, where are you living?” he asked as he looked at me.

“I’m living in Dobong-gu.” I sighed as I was looking out the window.

 “What?! You’re living this far? Why did you come here? You couldn’t sing in Dobong- gu?” he asked as he turned to look at the road.

 “Nobody would listen to us in Dobong-gu… And we thought that some producers in downtown would promote us…” I explained

 “Oh, so you really want to be a singer? You know, I have some contacts in the musical industry… I could help you…” he said speeding up

 “And why would you do this?” I asked curious. Why was he this nice with me?

“I’m your friend, doesn’t it?” he simply noted. “Usually I don’t have female friends, you know, girls prefer to get me in their bed but… You’re not like them, I respect you.” He confessed looking at the road.

I looked at him, surprised by his words. His voice was deep and sweet, he wasn’t lying. Maybe we really could be friends.

“Thanks, you’re special too Jiyong… You’re like a gay friend to me actually!” I . He chuckled lightly biting his lower lip.

“So, you’re my lesbian friend too?” he replied laughing even more. I just laughed with him rolling my eyes.

“Yah, I’m not a lesbian… I like men too much to be a lesbian!” I confessed.

“Good… !”

Thankfully, the ride to my house was uneventful, and quiet. I showed him my street and he parked his car in front of my building. I told him I was living at the first floor.

“SO you’re living in this slum?” he exclaimed looking at the building through the window of his car. “Is it sane?”

“Yeah, it’s surely not a palace but I like it! It’s my house!”

“You’re living alone?” he frowned a bit worry.

“Yeah, for 4 years now. But Bom unni and Dara unni are always with me. Oh… Dara unni is one of my neighbors. Her parents had adopted me I think!” I laughed lightly.

“And your own parents?” He asked. Gosh, he was really curious!

“They are living in a little town near the border.” I said bitterly because I didn’t want to speak about it now. “Thank you for the ride daddy, see you!”

“See you!” he declared. But then, he leaned in close to me his dark eyes on me and he whispered against my ear, “By the way, you rocked this night! You did not only the customers you know…”

 

I blushed but I didn’t reply as I stepped out and closed the door softly. I went up to my apartment in silence, remembering Jiyong’s warm breath against my skin and his last words.