Roxy

Falling in Love with your Blind Date

 

After I left the club, I went straight home. Jason didn't run after me. I was disappointed. He went too far and he shouldn't have done that were my thoughts. But it was an accident. I accidentally led him on. It was my fault too. I completely forgot that I didn't have a ride. I stomped my foot in frustration. I was about to call my mom or dad to pick me up but a car pulled in front of me.

 

“Long time no see, Roxy,” the person in the car said. He was wearing a gray hat that covered his face, black jeans, and a blue shirt. I knew that voice.

 

“JungSu!” I gasped, once I recognized my old best friend/ex-boyfriend. He smiled, showing me his cute dimple.

 

“Why are you here?” I asked him, still standing outside by his car.

 

“Get in first and I'll tell you,” he answered, opening the door for me. “Let's go somewhere private. I have something else I have to say.” I got in the car and he drove off, stopping at a isolated parking lot. JungSu turned to face me.

 

“Your first question, why am I here? I came to tell you something and called Tiffany where you were,” JungSu said. “Still going to clubs, huh, Roxy?” he asked, chuckling.

 

I gave him a look. “It was just a date, JungSu. And you called Tiffany? Does she sound drunk? 'Cuz I left her back there.”

 

“No, she didn't sound drunk,” he said. “I know you probably would be shock when I say this.”

 

He grabbed my hand and squeezed it. “I know it's too late to say this. I was confused. Roxy,” he said, looking into my eyes, “I love you. Please go out with me.”

 

I sat there, eyes widening at his confession. He looked at me hopefully, waiting for my answer.

 

I was shocked. I couldn't think of anything to say. I was happy, but I felt sad. I didn't love him back. I couldn't. My heart felt confused. It had feelings for Jason but what about JungSu? I loved him, back when we were still dating. He was my first love, my first time, but things came to an end. I didn't want to hurt his feelings again. Before I could open my mouth to say something, JungSu broke in.

 

“I know it was surprising for you to hear this but I finally know who's in my heart. It's you, Roxy,” he said, blushing a little. I forced a smile. I didn't want to hurt him again, but I had to.

 

I took a shaky breath. “I'm sorry, JungSu. I can't return your feelings.”

 

I quickly got out of the car and ran away, ran towards the open road not looking back at JungSu's face. Tears were falling down my face. I hurt him again, I thought, silently crying as I ran towards the direction of my house, but not before JungSu shouted something. I heard it clearly, despite the air rushing around me, deafening me.

 

“Roxy! I'll wait for you! I don't care if you say no!” he shouted loudly. “Saranghe Roxy! I'll never give up!”

 

I continued to run, trying to drown out his voice by covering my ears. I could still hear it. More tears spilled from my eyes. Forget me, JungSu, I thought. I'm a bad person that doesn't deserve your love. Give up on me!

 

I finally reached my house after running for so long. I panted, trying to catch my breath. I was so tired from running that my vision was blurry. I got my key out and opened the door. The house was dark. At the side were shoes. They're home? I asked myself. I quietly put my shoes away and slipped into my fuzzy bunny slippers. I walked up the stairs, looking around me to see if my parents were hiding which is actually stupid. They're probably at bed by now. I tiptoed to my bedroom, hoping my parents were fast asleep. I didn't make it. My parents' bedroom door opened, revealing my mom in cartoon pajamas. I guess I was still crying because her face turned to concern.

 

“Oh baby, what happened?” she asked, arms stretched out into a hug. I broke down into tears and ran to hug my mom. My dad was leaning on the door, watching us with an unreadable face. I cried and cried till I ran out of tears. My mom was patting my head and saying it's okay. It wasn't okay. I hurt the same guy twice but he still wouldn't give up on me. I'm a bad person, I thought, shaking in my mom's arms.

 

She led me into my room and sat down. She kept patting my head and calming me down. I finally stopped crying and looked down.

 

“What happened, sweety? Did something bad happen to you?” my mom asked.

 

“JungSu went to see me,” I whispered.

 

My mom gasped. “JungSu did that? Really?” she said while smiling. “Then why are you so sad?” My mom liked JungSu since the first time they met. She wanted me to marry him for god's sake.

 

“He confessed,” I whispered again, this time more quietly. I didn't want her to hear this.

 

“Chincha?!? ” my mom asked, eyes wide and hearing clearly. “Then why are you sad?”

 

“I said no,” I answered her.

 

“Oh...,” she trailed off, making me wonder what her answer was. “Why did you say no?”

 

“Nado molla, umma. I'm confused right now. I don't know what my heart feels anymore,” I said, tearing up again. “There's another guy and I don't know if I'm in love with him or not.”

 

“Oh my poor baby. Don't worry, tomorrow let's eat ice cream and go shopping, arasso?” she said, smiling at me. I giggled at her proposal. Ice cream and shopping were for people who got their hearts broken. I was doing the opposite.

 

“Okay, umma,” I said, giving her a forced smile.

 

“Good night then, Roxy,” she said, leaving my room as she waved goodbye. As she closed the door, tears started to fall from my face again. I went into my bathroom to change into my blue mickey mouse pajamas. I knew my mom was trying to help me. I didn't want to disappoint her. I laid down on my bed and cried silently, my tears staining the pillow case and wetting my face. I hoped no one could hear me. It was too embarrassing. As I kept crying, I eventually fell into a deep slumber. My sweet dreams quickly became horrible nightmares.

 

I was running. I was at a forest, one that I've never seen before. It was raining. I was wet and cold, but I kept running. I couldn't control my body. I ran for a long time. I never stopped. I didn't feel tired which was weird. Suddenly, the background changed. I was at a park. Grass all around me. I wasn't wet anymore. It was warm and humid. The sun was shining. I saw a circle of white grass in front of me. Weird, I thought. I walked to the circle but as I got closer, something pushed me back. It didn't want me to go in the circle. Fog was clouding the grass. There was something there, or someone. The fog cleared, revealing two guys. They were both familiar but I couldn't really see their face. All the fog disappeared. I gasped. It was Jason and JungSu. What the hell? I thought, a little scared. They both grinned evilly at me. Their faces were distorted and ugly. It was terrifying.

 

Then they spoke in a freezing tone. “You broke our hearts, Roxy.”

 

I woke up screaming. You broke our hearts, Roxy. It kept repeating in my head. I shivered in my blanket as sunlight streamed in through my curtains. I was sweating really hard. Tears strained my face from crying last night. The door burst open as my mom came rushing into my room. Probably heard me screaming, I thought.

 

“What's wrong, Roxy?” my mom asked worriedly, scrunching up her eyebrows.

 

“Nothing, umma,” I said, calming down. “Just a nightmare.”

 

“Oh,” came from . “Well, I'm cooking breakfast downstairs. We came back because we were worried about you. I know we're always leaving you to go vacation or work. We're sorry about that. We love you, honey.”

 

I nodded, her words making me smile. “Thanks, mom. I love you, too,” I said, tearing up a little at her kind words. “I'll be right down.”

 

“Okay, honey,” she said, kissing my forehead. She went out and closed the door behind her. I sighed. The nightmare really scared me. I could still hear their voices. I sat on my bed for a long time, thinking over things. Suddenly, my mom shouted at me to do something.

 

“ROXY, OPEN THE DOOR! SOMEONE'S RINGING THE DOORBELL!” she hollered at me. I rolled my eyes. I swear everyone in my neighborhood can hear her. I got up and opened the door. I stepped outside, forgetting to change and fix my hair. I just realized that I was so tired. I went downstairs slowly, trying to stall so I won't have to open the door. But my mom knew I was going to do that.

 

“ROXY! Just open the door and stop stalling!” she yelled again.

 

“Fine!” I grumbled-slashed-yelled at her. It was a long way to the door because our house was huge, like really really really huge. When we first moved here, I got lost for a month and didn't know where the bathroom was. It was really hard but after a few months I got used to it. My bedroom was also big. I reached the door. I looked through the hole on the door to see who it was but their faces were looking down. The only thing I knew was that there were two guys waiting outside.

 

I opened the door slowly. Both guys looked up and I gasped in my head. What is he doing here? I thought. How did he know where I lived? They were shocked too because they were looking at me but not at my face.

 

“What happened to you?!”