After Math

Sherbet


The live stage performance was the peak of the Jazz Festival. The trio sat in the audience, listening to the band and when they could, catch the eye of Junho on the drums. A few songs had been played and there was a pause as the conductor introduced the next set. Taking advantage of the break, Wooyoung turned and leaned over to whisper in Nichkhun’s ear as the Thai simultaneously turned in question.

“Chansung and I have to go…”

“What?” Nichkhun flinched, almost bumping Wooyoung’s nose with his own.

Wooyoung chuckled quietly before replying. “No, not yet. But just in case we have to go before Junho finishes…”

Nichkhun nodded to show he understood as the conductor raised his hands. The band ended up finishing before Wooyoung and Chansung had to leave, so Junho was soon able to rejoin them as the quartet decided to take another stroll through the park.

“Wow Junho, you’re really good,” Wooyoung complimented.

“You were amazing,” Chansung added with a grin.

“Thanks,” Junho mumbled in response, lifting an arm to scratch the shell of his ear.

Whenever the younger boy was embarrassed, the red blush that would normally start at his cheeks would instead start at Junho’s ears, and it was characteristic of Junho to cover them when he thought they were going red. Nichkhun smirked at the action; he was glad Junho was getting the attention he deserved.

You like it, even if you say you don’t, he thought as he watched a smile tug at the corner of Junho’s lips.

Often when he’d be out with Junho, girls would pay more attention to him than this friend. Personally, the Thai thought that Junho was rather attractive, and he wasn’t anti-social or anything, so he had no idea why the younger boy didn’t get the same attention from them as he did. Nichkhun once asked a girl he was out on a date with for the female point of view.

“Junho? Yeah of course he’s cute. He’s face is just made for smiling.”
“Then why aren’t there that many girls that like him?”
“Khun, to be honest, it’s probably cause of you. I mean, remember my friend from yesterday? She used to have a huge crush on Junho. But then you came along, and then you guys started hanging out, and you really can’t help but compare. Plus, you’re so much nicer than Junho is. I mean, he’s nice, but you’re really sweet and manly, and he isn’t.

When he had mentioned it to Junho, his friend just laughed.

“I don’t want girls following me around. And ever since I’ve been hanging out with you, they’ve all been attracted to the Thai Prince. I’m off the hook,” he had replied, smiling.

“Khun you alright?”

“Huh?” They were all watching him, but Wooyoung stood the closest, and Nichkhun couldn’t help himself as he gazed into those deep brown eyes…

“He’s just zoning out. Nothing to worry about,” Junho interrupted. Nichkhun’s face broke into a smile to reinforce his point. “Anyway, is anyone else hungry?” Junho asked as he stopped walking.

“Here, I saved you some.” Chansung produced Nichkhun’s bag of treats and Wooyoung’s jaw dropped.

“You saved food, for someone other than yourself?”

“Yeah, I thought he’d be hungry cause he didn’t eat,” Chansung said simply.

“You didn’t offer us any,” Wooyoung accused with narrowed eyes.

“Well, since you guys bought it, I thought you ate beforehand,” Chansung replied innocently. Wooyoung stared blankly at his friend. Nichkhun looked down, and Junho placed his hand in front of his mouth, both trying to hide his own laughter. “Umm…” Chansung lifted the bag and offered it to Wooyoung. “Do you want some?”

Wooyoung blinked and sighed, giving Chansung a defeated look. “No.”

Chansung smiled in relief. “Good. Cause I only saved one for Junho.”

It was too much. Nichkhun and Junho were now laughing out loud, and even Wooyoung couldn’t keep his serious face in place. Chansung smiled at his friends sheepishly, before suddenly widening his eyes and grabbing Wooyoung’s arm.

“What time is it?”

“A little after seven,” Nichkhun responded after he had caught his breath.

“We’re late. Leemae is gonna to kill me.” Chansung’s grip had tightened on Wooyoung’s arm.

“Oww, Chansung. We’re not late.” Wooyoung turned to Nichkhun and Junho, wincing at the strength of his agitated friend. “Looks like we gotta go. Today was fun. Chansung.”

Not forgetting his manners, Chansung quickly looked over. “What he said. We should do it again sometime. Okay bye!” He had already turned around, pulling Wooyoung along by the arm.

Wooyoung turned and managed a wave before he was dragged away by the boy who looked like he was on a mission. Nichkhun smiled and turned to his right, where Junho looked crestfallen, his hands back in his pockets, watching the two boys as they faded into the distance.

“You still got me,” Nichkhun teased, swinging an arm around the younger boy’s shoulders.

He looked up and smiled. “I know.”

They walked off, headed home.

“You have fun tonight?”

“Lots of fun. And you were great on stage.”

“Now doesn’t this prove that you should take my advice more often?”

“Nope.”

- - - - -

Several days had gone by, and the park had been completely cleaned up of all its festive attire. Junho walked along the path, studying the ground along the pavement. Even the grass had recovered; there was no longer any sign that it had been crushed by table legs or abnormal amounts of feet. Reaching his destination, Junho heard a chime as he opened the door and was greeted by the boy standing behind the cash register.

“Hey Junho. Watsup?” Wooyoung was sporting his work outfit and a cheeky smile.

“Nothing much. How’s work?”

“Not busy.” Wooyoung eyed the clock on the wall, and Junho saw another employee getting ready in the back room through the open door. “And I am now officially off work.” There was no one else in the store, so Wooyoung pulled off his work shirt and replaced it with a casual tee.

“Yeah, 2pm.”

Wooyoung looked over and smiled. “You remembered what time I finished. Unlike Chansung, and I only told you once.”

Junho nodded. He did remember, which was why he had chosen this time to visit Wooyoung, because he was thirsty and wanted to buy a drink, and not because he hoped he would run into Chansung along the way.

“Were you looking for something?” Wooyoung asked, having already stuffed his shirt in his bag and moved from behind the counter.

“Just a little thirsty. I was just gonna get a drink.”

“Have anything for the afternoon?”

Junho shook his head. “Nope. No performance means I finally get to breathe.”

“Is Nichkhun free? Chansung should be on his way, and I know a bubble tea shop that isn’t too far from here.”

“Sounds good. Khun’s probably at home. I’ll give him a call.”

Junho opened his phone as Wooyoung did the same. He could hear Wooyoung’s voice as he waited for Nichkhun to pick up. Apparently Chansung was closer to the tea shop and would meet them there instead. Bubble Tea with Chansung, and Nichkhun and Wooyoung.

This should be interesting.