Maknae

Warrior

 

We both stared in the direction the voice had come from. A young boy in outlandish and brightly coloured clothing stood in the doorway with an annoyed expression. He looked between Bang and I and his expression softened into a smile when he saw me. He had a gentle and singsong sound to his voice when he spoke, ‘Hyung, I’ve been looking for you everywhere.’ He said walking over to us, I noticed just how young he really was when he came closer, he must have been younger than me and definitely younger than Bang, he too looked familiar and the skateboard under his arm was ringing bells that I just couldn’t quite hear yet.

‘I’m sorry my little maknae.’ I noticed Bang’s voice had acquired a tender tone when addressing the young boy; this was obviously someone who meant a lot to him. I also noticed that the boy didn’t once take his eyes from mine and I found myself having to crane my neck to look back at him. He must’ve been at least 6ft and was even taller than Bang, what were they feeding this kid? ‘Oh! Uh meet Serena; she’s helping me with my dancing.’ He smiled gesturing at me with a grin making my heart beat out of time again. I nodded at the young man and smiled bashfully. In return he winked giving me a small salute which made us all laugh a little.

‘My name’s Choi Jun Hong and’ he kept his gaze fixed on mine as he spoke like we were the only two in the room, ‘I understand now why my hyung didn’t show up to meet me when we were supposed to.’ I glanced between the two men in front of me and felt my cheeks beginto burn once again. I blinked as more bells started ringing in my head when his name tried to sink in. Where the hell had I heard it before? ‘Hey you okay?’ Choi asked frowning at me, ‘You been working her too hard or something Bang?’ I spoke up before Bang had a chance to speak,

‘No, don’t worry about it.’ I laughed quickly packing my things away and slinging my bag over my shoulder, ‘He’s been great actually,’ I looked at Bang who smiled fondly at me, ‘he’s a quick learner and easy to teach.’

‘Pfft I’m sure he is.’ laughed Choi who groaned after being smacked up the side of his head. ‘It was a joke hyung!’ he pleaded whilst being held in a headlock by Bang. Despite what was happening I found myself laughing, a real and truthful laugh which made the two of them stop and look at me, I stopped.

‘Oh, sorry.’ I squirmed looking down embarrassed beyond all belief.

‘Don’t be, it’s only natural for a pretty girl to have a matching laugh.’ I heard as a pair of arms encircled me, pulling me against a firm body. My eyes widened and my cheeks fumed, looking up I saw Choi smiling down at me playfully and then rest his chin on the top of my head, leaving me forced to look forward at…

At a pair of the most jealous filled eyes I’d ever seen, Bang’s eyes.

‘Hands off Zelo.’ Bang warned crossing his arms.

Zelo? Where had I…? Oh God no. Zelo? THE Zelo?

‘I don’t recall you claiming dibs.’ Zelo said calmly and teasingly. His hyung grew visibly more agitated and ground his teeth making me cringe back into Zelo, further angering Bang. He wrenched his jacket off of the floor and stormed past us, his step faltering only slightly when he looked me in the eye. The door slammed and silence was left. Well, aside from Zelo’s chuckle, he let go of me and walked around to face me, crouching down slightly to reach my eye level. ‘Don’t look so glum, he’ll be fine trust me. He needs a little teasing every now and then. Besides it was payback.’

‘Payback?’ I asked quietly, still not quite able to grasp today’s events.

‘Ah,’ the maknae nodded taking my bag for me and lifting it with ease over his shoulder, ‘he should’ve told me about you, he tells me everything and this is the first time he hasn’t. I was hurt, still am.’ He shrugged and wrapped an arm around my shoulders casually as he led us out of the room and dance studio. ‘How’s about we get you home and you tell me a little about yourself, ah?’ he smiled sweetly down at me. What else could I do?

I nodded.