Discoveries and Denials

Beautiful Disaster

CHAPTER 8

 

 

The fifteen minutes that passed since Dara and Jiyong took shade under the small hut seemed like forever.  Not talking to each other is making everything feel all the more awkward.  Dara would glance at Jiyong when she thinks he’s not looking, and then would look away immediately afraid that he might catch her.  Jiyong is also doing the same thing.  Both of them are seated half a meter apart, both facing at an angle away from the other. 

 

The hut is so small that any large movement is not possible.  It’s either one sits, lies down or goes out of the hut for more space.  The heavy downpour of rain is not a friend of theirs either.  Dara was wearing her sleeveless summer dress that exposed her knees and legs.  Because the weather was so pleasant this morning, she dressed accordingly not expecting that the rain would ruin it and leave her feeling cold.  Jiyong is just wearing jeans and a plain white shirt.  Their clothes, their hair are dripping wet from the rain.

 

Jiyong clears his throat before speaking.

 

“Are you alright?” he asks, without turning his head towards Dara.  He’s not really concerned whether she’s okay or not; he just thinks that the situation is more awkward if they’ll continue to be silent.

 

“Don’t mind me; I should be asking you that.  You don’t seem alright to me.  You’re shivering everywhere, just look at you.”  Dara answers without facing Jiyong.

 

Jiyong didn’t realize that it was that obvious.  It’s taking all his will now to make the shivering less evident.  She cannot see him weak like this.

 

“Nah, I’m used to this.  I’ve been through worse; I don’t think this rain will kill me.”  He wipes his nose and continues.  “You should worry about yourself though; you’re not used to compromising situations like this I suppose. “   

 

He steals a glance at her while she still had her back on him.  Dara is hugging herself, rubbing her hands on her arms.  Knowing that she can’t see him, it took him longer this time to look at her shivering form.  She looked tiny, like a kid.  Jiyong’s eyes darted to her dress; he can see the lines of her bra as her wet clothes clung to her skin.  He swallowed something on his throat and looked away when he realized where he was looking.

 

“You look terrible.”

 

“Yah!” Dara shoots an angry look at him and Jiyong had his poker face on. 

 

“It’s not that I feel terrible; I’m just not comfortable being here.”  “And stop looking at me, you ert!”

 

Jiyong lets out a loud laugh.  “HA HA HA!  You’re funny!  Even at a time like this you still find time to joke around.”

 

“You think it’s funny?  You keep glancing at me and you think I’m joking.  I’m warning you I know a bit of martial arts.  I will not go down without a fight.  Hmpp!”  Dara looked away, her head held high.

 

Jiyong just smirked.  “Sheesh!  You think so highly of yourself; I’m amazed.  Sorry to get your hopes up, Your Highness, but you’re not my type.  In fact, you’re not any guy’s type.  Spoiled brats like you, ugh creeps me out.”  He made some shivering movements to show his disgust.

 

He was satisfied with himself, pawning this arrogant girl right on.  He’s lying to himself though; he did find her attractive.  She looked delicate and very feminine.  Even her childish ways have their own charm.  He silently curses at himself with the last turn that his thoughts went into.  He is back to thinking how annoying this girl is, thinking so highly of herself; and convinced himself that he did a good job answering back.

 

Dara did not respond to him though; she didn’t look back.  Minutes passed and she has not said anything.  Lightning struck and thunder roared loudly; and he didn’t even hear her scream.  Jiyong got curious and faced her again. 

 

“What’s wrong?  Can’t say anything?  Truth hurts huh?” 

 

He was taunting her to respond.  He knows he’s being a total jerk right now but her long silence is making him uncomfortable.  He’d rather bicker with her all day than have this silence and not know what she is thinking.  Then Jiyong noticed something as he waited for a response.  Dara’s back was rising up and down slowly, like she’s struggling or restraining herself. 

 

“Hey, are you crying?”

 

“I’m not crying.” Dara’s shaky voice betrayed her.

 

“Wow!  You see?  That’s what I mean right there!  You go on your way to talk bad to people but when people talk back and let you hear what you needed to hear, you go crying; making me the bad person.  Spoiled brat – right there; I was right all along.”

 

“I said I’m not crying.” Dara’s stifled sobs tell otherwise.

 

“I’m sorry princess but Mummy’s not here for you.  Your prince charming is also nowhere to be found.  And speaking of Prince Charming, shouldn’t he be here by now?  He should’ve gone crazy the minute he knows you’re not back yet.”

 

Dara just could not hold it anymore; although what made really made her tick – Jiyong not shutting up or TOP still not coming to her rescue – she was not sure or rather she hates to admit.  She shot an annoyed look at Jiyong and all of a sudden lunged herself at him hammering her fists left and right at Jiyong. 

 

Jiyong was trying so hard to elicit a response from Dara but this was not the kind of response that he was expecting.

 

“Yah!  What are you doing?!  Stop it!  Ouch!”  Jiyong did not really get hurt in spite of Dara giving all her force into hitting him.  But Dara wouldn’t stop and she was all over Jiyong now.  Jiyong had his back on the wall already and he was trying his best to restrain her.

 

It’s not the punches that’s bothering Jiyong; it was seeing her face up close and she had tears in her eyes.  She looked pretty and funny in spite her tear-stricken eyes that it made Jiyong uncomfortable.

 

Jiyong was finally able to get a hold of Dara’s wrists and restrain her.  

 

Jiyong looked at her face, “Are you crying?”

 

Dara looked away, not wanting to show her crying face to Jiyong.  She had been holding it in for so long because she didn’t want him to see her like this.  Jiyong was still holding her wrists and she couldn’t let go.

 

There was something in the way she looked that sent so many sensations to Jiyong.  His heart was beating so fast too.  In that brief moment, he lost control and his hold on Dara weakened.  Dara took the opportunity to remove her arms from Jiyong’s grip and began slapping Jiyong again at all sides.

 

“Ouch!  Ouch!  What are you doing?  Stop it!”  Jiyong caught Dara’s arms again, while being careful not to hit or hurt her.  He pushed Dara down until both of them fell to the floor, Jiyong on top of Dara, restraining her arms on each side. 

 

And there was silence…

 

Their faces were too close to each other and they can feel, hear each other’s breathing.  The both of them were absorbed in the moment that no words came out from either one; neither of them even moved, in spite of their awkward position.

 

“What am I doing?  This isn’t supposed to be happening.  My heart is beating so fast I don’t understand.”  Jiyong thought to himself while he continued staring at Dara’s face.  Dara’s eyes are staring wide back at him, though they’re still wet with her tears.  She was even more beautiful up-close, her skin is flawless and her eyes are so sincere.  She looked shocked, scared, confused.

 

“What am I doing?  Why can’t I fight back?  What is this warm feeling?  His grip is so strong but somehow I feel safe.  I know I should push him back, be angry at him, but why can’t I do something?”  Dara thought to herself.  She can’t keep her eyes off him too, even with that strong gaze looking back at her.  She has always found him attractive, since the first time she met him; but right now she should be angry and she can’t seem to convince herself of that.  She should not be feeling nervous when she’s with him. 

 

After it seemed like forever that they were staring at each other in that awkward position, Dara managed to shut her eyes and turn her head to the side.  She lost her all her energy fighting with him and trying to hold her tears that still managed to escape her eyes.

 

“I’m sorry.”  Jiyong finally managed to speak, but in a whisper.  He’s back to his senses and realized how long he has been on top of her.  He feels embarrassed all of a sudden. 

 

“I’m sorry.”  Jiyong whispered to her again. 

 

He pushed himself up to stand and exhaled loudly.  It felt like he had been holding his breath for the longest time.  He reached out his hand to Dara to help her up but Dara just rolled over to side, hugging herself, knees folded, curled like a ball.  Jiyong sat back down leaning against the wall, away as much as possible from Dara.  He has crossed the line way too far and he just wants to give her space.

 

For the minutes that passed they remained silent.  Jiyong never took his eyes off Dara, who remained lying on the floor on her side, her back facing Jiyong.  The rain showed no sign of stopping any time soon and thunder and lightning still came from time to time.

 

Two hours have passed but it seemed like they’ve been waiting there for forever.  Exhaustion has finally settled on Jiyong and he feels his eyes getting heavier.  Dara still hasn’t moved from her spot and basing on her steady breathing, Jiyong could tell that she was sleeping. 

 

As Jiyong closed his eyes hoping to rest for a bit, Dara’s face that was moments ago so close to him came to mind again.  He shakes his head, closing his eyes tighter, driving that thought away. 

 

“You’re just feeling sorry for her, you made her cry.  That’s just it.  Don’t get confused; you can’t be this stupid and weak.”  He convinces himself with these words over and over.  He exhaled heavily and directed his eyes to Dara’s sleeping form again.  But the next scene took all the air in his lungs.

 

“Hey, are you alright?”  Jiyong moved closer to Dara and leaned over to look at her face.  She’s shivering all over.  She is hugging herself so tight but her whole body was quivering.  Her eyes were still closed and she wouldn’t look at Jiyong, wouldn’t reply to him.

 

He couldn’t explain it but seeing Dara like that is scaring the hell out of him.  He’s nervous, he’s confused, his mind going blank.

 

He did the first reasonable thing that came to mind.  He hurriedly took off his shirt and put it over Dara.  Because his shirt has not dried yet from earlier, it didn’t help Dara at all as she quivered more.

 

“It’s so cold…cold…cold” Dara managed to say in her shaky voice.  It was barely a whisper.

 

Jiyong was on his knees beside Dara.  He put his hands on his head, hoping that a better idea would squeeze out of it.  He knows what he should do but he was still debating with himself if he should do it.  He’s starting to get frustrated with himself; his mind is messing with him again.  He should not be over-thinking this.  He’s not worried that Dara might push him away and endanger herself more by bearing the cold.  He’s more worried for himself, that his controls will weaken; and he’s frustrated that he’s more concerned about this.  He knows why and he doesn’t want to welcome that thought yet.

 

“You’re going to hate me for this when you wake up and I’m sorry.  You can hate me all you want when you feel better.”

 

Jiyong walked over to where Dara was facing and lied down beside her.  He took her in his arms, and pulled her closer.  Dara’s face was on his neck and the slight brush of her lips against his bare skin tingled and brought so many unfathomable sensations to him.  His heart was beating loudly again, and he could just hope that Dara doesn’t hear or feel it.  He felt Dara stiffen and he found himself holding his breath, waiting for her to wake up and lash out at him again…push him away. 

 

But after some breathtaking seconds, nothing happened except for Dara relaxing in his arms and he felt a sigh of relief.

 

It was so much against his will but he couldn’t help but look at Dara’s face again.  A tear strayed from her left eye and his hand immediately went up to her face, his thumb wiping that tear.  Next thing he knew, he found himself brushing the back of his hand smoothly on Dara’s exposed cheek.  Her skin felt smooth under his touch. 

 

God she’s beautiful.  It’s mind-blowing.

 

Suddenly Dara moved a little, which scared Jiyong.  He moved his hand away, worried that Dara has woken up and he’d have to distance himself again.  But Dara did not open her eyes.  She tightened her hug on herself, shivering again.  Seeing her like this scared Jiyong and he instantly put his arms around her again and pulled her closer to him.  He felt Dara relax again and slowly her breathing became steady.  He finds himself smiling and relieved that his touch relaxed Dara and it stopped her from shaking.

 

He ran his hand slowly on Dara’s back, hoping it will warm her more.  He hates what he’s doing now, but somehow it felt comfortable for him too.  He felt that it was also what he needed.  He found himself smiling thinking about it.

 

“Ppabo” he scolded himself and closed his eyes, slowly drifting to sleep.  Dara’s slow, steady breathing was a welcome comfort to him in the cold and loud rain outside.  Silently he wished that Dara felt the same.

 

_________________________________

 

“This is wrong but why can’t I let go?  Why can’t I find the strength to push him away?  He took off his shirt to cover me up, and his bare skin is on me.  He smells good.  My body feels so warm in his touch; I want to stay in this feeling a bit more.” 

 

Dara’s eyes were closed but her mind was fully awake.  She was aware of what’s happening, just by the feel of the arms around her.  She was shocked at first and tried to process for a while whether it was really happening.  She moved a bit to make sure she wasn’t hallucinating; and when the person moved away Dara did not like the feeling.  She felt cold away from his touch. 

 

So Dara pretended to be asleep still, keeping her breathing steady, noting not to make any drastic movement knowing what she would lose if she didn’t.  She was worried that she’d scare him off and leave her cold for the rest of the time that they are there.  She felt a sigh of relief when she felt him close, enveloping her once again in his warm embrace.

 

So many things are running inside Dara’s mind now.  She knows that she shouldn’t be doing this.  She thought of TOP and felt sorry for him.  But then she’s been gone for who knows how long now and why has TOP not come for her?  Is this really the reason why she’s letting Jiyong hold her like this?  Or is she just trying to justify her weakness? 

 

There’s only one thing she’s certain now…at least her heart is certain although her mind was still coming up with a lot of excuses.  She doesn’t want to let go yet.

 

Dara buried herself in Jiyong’s arms and tried to synchronize her breathing with his.  Moments ago she couldn’t stare at him straight nor even stand being there with him alone.  She hated him earlier for calling her a spoiled brat, for doting on her simply because she grew up differently from him.  She hated him even before that – when he tried to play down the kissing incident they had back at the restaurant.  She hated him when he lashed out at her and walked out when she offered to help him the first time.  She hated him for putting her in danger, keeping her hostage and letting her drive to some goons’ place.  She also hated it when he kept pointing out that TOP has not come for her.  She has so many reasons to hate him, but here she is enveloped in his arms and somehow she couldn’t find the strength to push him away.

 

But she’s seeing a completely opposite side of Jiyong – he looked sincere and concerned for her.  It may be out of guilt, but this Jiyong is wrecking all the walls that were there between them before.

 

Dara forgets her reservations about her actions for now and basks herself in the warmth of Jiyong’s protection.  God he smells good!  How nice would it be if she could just open her eyes a bit and look at his face up-close?

 

“Ppabo” she scolded herself for the direction in which her thoughts were going and closed her eyes, slowly drifting to sleep.  Jiyong’s slow, steady breathing was a welcome comfort to her in the cold and cruel rain outside.  Silently she wished that Jiyong felt the same.

 

 

________________________________

 

 

The bright light coming from the window stirred her from slumber.  It felt like she slept for hours and the sun has finally come up.  Dara could feel the sunlight on her eyes although she can’t open them yet.  She remembered how she fell asleep, and thought that she wanted to keep still and stay in the moment for a bit longer.  She stiffened for a second when she felt being hugged closer by him. 

 

“Is this really happening?  Is he awake or is he just dreaming?  Am I dreaming?”  Dara was debating with herself in her mind as she tries to process what’s happening. 

 

He slowly runs his hand over her hair, gently it with his fingers, careful not to wake her.  He backs away a bit to look at her face, and lightly brushed a finger on Dara’s forehead, fixing her meeting eyebrows.  Dara still finds it hard to believe that Jiyong is so close to her and touching her like this.  It all feels like a dream.  When he leaned in closer to her and kissed her on the forehead, Dara instantly opened her eyes. 

 

“Sorry, did I wake you up?”

 

“TOP.”

 

 

__________________________________

 

 

 

 

A/N: Hello guyssss! First of all, I want to apologize for my long

absence...I've been busy and lazy...I won't make any excuses for that kk.

But thank you, to my subscribers..especially those who check regulary

for updates on this.  Please be really patient with me as I told you before

this is my first fic, so inspiration and ideas don't come to me as fast as I want to.

And to those wondering, this story has nothing to do with the novel of the same title.

I started writing this fic with no knowledge of the book.  I have only discovered the

book while I was away.  So to clear things up, this one is not an adaptation of the book

nor am I copying it.  This is a totally different story, and I hope you guys can still

appreciate it.  Thank you guys!  DARAGON/NYONGDAL fighting! ^0^