Lucky Day

Beautiful Disaster

 

Beep! Beep! Beep!  It’s 6am.  She reaches out her left hand to the side, scanning the bed until her fingers found her phone, swiped her thumb on it and the beeping stopped.  She removed her blindfold, sat up and stayed silent for a minute. She closed her eyes again, bowed her head and whispered a short prayer.  Then she got out of the bed, neatly folded her blanket and arranged the bed; go out to her kitchen and prepare her breakfast, which is always composed of black coffee and toast with strawberry jam.

Sandara Park’s days would always start like this.  After taking shower, she’d do her light make up – BB cream, powder, blush, lipstick and gloss.  Enter her walk-in closet and changes to her outfit for the day.  Every Sunday night, she’d arrange her clothes and plan what she would wear to work from Monday to Friday.  From the dress to the perfect pair of shoes, the bag and the simple accessories that would go with her ensemble.  Then before finally leaving for work, she’d look at the mirror once again, points to the person in front of her with her point finger and thumb out like a gun, then she’d tell her “You’re the best…Always.”

She was on her way to work and she feels light-headed.  She was able to achieve something from work the previous week and she was looking forward to her officemates cheering for her and her boss congratulating her.  She works in a magazine publishing company that specializes in music and fashion.  She joined the company three years ago, right after she graduated from Masters School in Yonsei University.  Started as a proofreader, then after six months became a researcher, then the next year she was able to write her own article.  Now she is an editor and her works have always received good feedback. 

That’s how her life has always been – perfect, if there is such a life.  She was a consistent honor student since elementary, an obedient daughter to her parents.  She had been lucky to be born into a rich family.  Her parents own a popular ice cream chain and it’s the biggest and most popular in South Korea.  She has a younger sister, Durami, but was quite the opposite of her.  Her sister was a high school dropout, got pregnant at 17 and until now depends on their parents for support, since the guy who should’ve been responsible for her left her upon hearing the news of her pregnancy.  Although there were times when Sandara felt like going out with her friends and meet guys, she will always be reminded of how hard it has been for her sister after living such a carefree lifestyle.  So she never even once broke her parents’ trust and had to always reject any invitations from her friends to go out at nights.

Sandara doesn’t feel any regret though, because looking at how far she has reached, she feels contented.  She has a boyfriend now and they have been dating for 8 years.  She met Choi Seung Hyun while she was doing her master’s degree.  Top, which is how she calls him, is 3 years younger than her but she never felt the .  Top was a responsible and smart person.  He was also a graduate of Yonsei University, finished a business course.  They got to know each other at the school’s library where the both of them frequently stayed.  Even if she was instantly attracted to him, she never paid any attention to it because she prioritized her studies.  But Seunghyun was a respectable guy.  He visited Dara at her house, presented himself to her parents in a gentlemanly way and so naturally Dara’s parents liked him.  That was the only reason that she was allowed to date.  If it had been another man who was interested in her, that person would’ve never had a chance.  Her parents are so strict, always reminding her of how different guys are these days and that she would never trust anyone instantly even if she found that person attractive.  It was expected of her parents, since they never want what happened to Durami happen again.  So they have always paid careful attention to Dara and her schedules, even chose her friends for her.  But she had no problem with it, because she was a filial daughter.

Thinking of all the blessings she got in life so far – good work, rich parents, handsome and responsible boyfriend – she just couldn’t ask for more.  She smiles at the thought of this as she goes to her car and starts driving for work.  Five minutes after she left for work, she sees the road ahead…no traffic.  Her phone rang and she put on the earphone. 

“Good morning my princess, are you on your way to work now?”  She smiles at the sound of his voice.  This is also one of the things that she always looks forward to each day -- her boyfriend calling and checking on her.  “Oh good morning Jagiya (honey). Yeah I’m driving myself to work now, I just left the house five minutes ago.  How about you?  Is everything okay with the construction?” Dara asked. 

“Yeah, the guys have finished a lot since they started.  They’re now working on the interiors.  I’m just checking if the materials are enough, then after I’ll head down to Apgujeong to meet with some suppliers,” Top answered.  Her boyfriend was starting an Italian restaurant in Gangnam. “What time will you be off from work?  Let’s have dinner.  I miss you so much.  I haven’t seen you for a week,” her boyfriend invited.

“I miss you too Jagiya.  I’m so sorry I’ve been busy last week; I had to help out some of my staff with their deadlines.  I’m gonna be off at 6pm, then we can meet and have dinner at 7.” Dara answered.

“Good, that’s settled then.  Let’s meet at the usual place at Sinsadong?”

“Yes. I’ll see you then.  I’ll call you later when I arrive at the office.”

“Alright.  See you.  Love you babe.”

She chuckles.  Her boyfriend is the sweetest.  “Love you too.”  She happily drives on to her workplace.  This day is just perfect, she thought to herself.

Dara reaches her workplace and was greeted by warm greeting and loud cheers.  Last month’s issue got to the best-sellers’ rack again and they’ve been getting a lot of positive feedback.  It was mostly thanks to Dara’s ideas.  She learned a lot and she’s always researching about new trends.  She always gets to it first and when she suggests something to be featured on the magazine, it’s always sure to be a success.

“Good work Ms. Park.  As expected, your ideas are a success.  You really are a gem to the company, “her boss, Mr. Yang, greeted her.  “Keep up the good work.  The expectations are getting higher, with your constant achievements, but I’m sure you can handle it well.”

“Thank you Sir.  I’ll do my best.” Dara answered. 

She immediately got to work, had some brainstorming here and there.  It was the usual busy but fulfilling day at work.  She’s used to this by now and has had no major problems so far.

6pm, and it was time to meet with her boyfriend.  She checked her phone, and as expected, a message from Top.

“Had a fruitful meeting today.  I think I just found the perfect supplier.  Can’t wait to tell you all about it.  I’ll see you at the restaurant.  Can’t wait to see you.  Be careful on your way.  Love you.”

She smiled again and sent her message.  “Work just finished.  Had a great day at work too.  This day is perfect, especially I’m going to see you again.  Love you too and you also take care.”

She fixed herself up a bit and went to her car.  She turned out the player inside the car but accidentally pushed the button for the radio.  There was news break being announced.  There was a robbery at a nearby convenience store, three blocks from her office.  Dara was shocked and curious at the same time.  She walks in to that convenience store like two to three times a week to buy her favorite snack.  As lame as it seems and even though it’s unlikely for a woman like her, ever since she was in high school she loved to snack on Peppero.  And she enjoyed this habit of walking to the convenience store after lunch to buy it.  She didn’t like buying lots at the supermarket.  Even though she isn’t the superstitious kind, she somehow felt that that habit of hers is her lucky charm.  So upon hearing the news that the store got robbed, she found herself driving that way, eager to see if everything’s okay.  As soon as she got near the place, she immediately regretted going there.  There were so many people outside, also looking to see what’s happening.  There was already a police line set up.  Her curiosity got the best of her.  She got off the car and approached the scene.  She asked a policeman nearby, “Excuse me Sir, what happened here?  Did anyone get hurt?”  She asked that because she noticed the break in the glass, looking like it was caused by a gunshot.  Dara got nervous, she knows the young kid who works there.

“No one got hurt, but the robber managed to fire a shot when he heard us coming.” The policeman answered.

“Well, did you catch the suspect?” Dara asked.

“Unfortunately no.  He distracted us all with the gunshot.  We immediately got into position when he fired; but turned out he escaped from the back.  The boy who’s manning the counter couldn’t identify the robber ‘cause he was wearing a mask.  Just said the guy was wearing a gray shirt and plaid polo.  I think the guy’s an expert.  He ran so fast.  We arrived just five minutes ago and he already managed to escape.  The others have been looking around but they couldn’t find him.”

“Oh that’s too bad.  So many bad guys these days, I can’t understand why they do that.  I’m glad the boy is safe though.  Thank you officer.”  Dara told the policeman as she was preparing to leave the scene.

“Oh if you notice anyone with the outfit I just described, don’t hesitate to call us.  The suspect is wounded, he won’t get that far.  The boys found some blood on the floor, think he scratched himself somewhere when trying to climb up the wired wall at the back.”  The policeman said.

“Oh yeah, sure Mr. Officer.  I hope you find him.”  Dara turned to leave and returned to her car.  She looked at her watch and it was 640pm already.  “Shoot!  I stayed too long.”  She hurried to get inside the car and checked her phone inside her bag, which she left on the passenger side.  Something’s not right, she thought.  Her bag is open when she found it, and she couldn’t find her phone.  She was so sure she put it back inside before she started driving.  Then she felt it.  Something was pointed at her.  Her heart was beating so fast.  A gun was pointed at her side. 

“Drive.  Don’t say anything, don’t shout or else I won’t hesitate to shoot you.  Just drive.”

 

_____________________

A/N: This is my first fic guys, so be patient with me.  I'm just trying this out. =)