Mr Cool

The Randomness of Inoo Kei

 

*Kim’s POV*

 

“Ohayou…”

I took a deep breath trying to gain my senses after I saw the figure of the man who just entered the room. I only saw a sight of him on my peripheral view but my definite gaze was attracted to his direction. There he is… Inoo Kei

Inoo Kei. The boy everyone likes - handsome, intelligent, funny, friendly, rich and most especially COOL.

I gulped for a second and blinked twice before processing this clear complexion that attracted all the rays of sunlight coming from our classroom window towards his direction. He gave off his signature smile to his friend which is enough for my eyes to be locked on him.

“Don’t look at him too much… He’ll melt any second now” Rio, one of my best friends tapped my shoulder and whispered to my ear that gave off a slight red tint on my part. I then saw another figure of a girl tagging behind her back which followed Rio’s gesture.

“That’s right… Just confess to him already, will you?” Ruu proclaimed, along with the dedicated nod coming from Rio. These two girls can definitely make my morning.

“Who said I like him?” I lied, still trying my best to hide my blushed cheek… “Inoo Kei is far beyond my reach… I better save myself from embarrassment”

“Why don’t you just try?”

“No way… Besides, we have a test today… I better prepare” I frantically avoided my best friend’s deep stares and started to scan through my books, giving the impression that I was indeed ‘busy’. However, to my dismay, the two girls decided to look at me with ‘i-can’t-believe-you’ look on their faces while I stole multiple glances on Inoo. Indeed. I am hopeless.

“Okay then… Shall we try a bet?” Ruu who seems to be ‘Ms. Idea’ all of a sudden, gestured and pulled Rio and I on a small circle on my desk, like planning a cunning act towards the people surrounding us.

“What kind of bet?”

“Our test today… If Rio and I got better scores than you, you should CONFESS your LOVE to Inoo-kun in front of his friends. It’s Valentine’s day soon... it will be perfect” Ruu continued with a sneaky grin which made Rio agree within a split second. In contrast, I shook my head continually and just declined her idea. I can never imagine myself confessing to him.

“I DISAPPROVE!!!” I said firmly.

“Hmmm… so you’re just scared we’re gonna beat you on this test huh?” Ruu said teasingly. I just know her schemes of psychology running through her mind that she thinks are enough to make me agree.

“That will not work on me Ruu-chan… We’re not kids anymore!!”

“If you’re not gonna confess, then I am!! I’m not gonna wait until Valentine’s day” Rio continued with a smirk then attempted to walk towards Inoo-kun’s direction. By this, I panicked. I know she’s gonna do something unimaginable. She’s like that. When she says it; she’s gonna do it.

Almost immediately, I grabbed her sleeve, hindering her to go any further from where she’s standing.

“Okay okay… I’ll do it!” I heard myself say without even thinking. After this, I saw my two best friends giving the highest of fives, proclaiming to the whole world their success. I on the other hand just looked down to my desk and admitted defeat. My last hope to save myself from embarrassment: score higher than Rio and Ruu.

--

*Next day = Test Results Day*

 

I let off a nervous chuckle after our teacher pulled out from his bag our marked tests from yesterday. I turned my gaze to Ruu and Rio who seems to be enjoying themselves to their own little world.

My teacher then took the chance to give out our papers along with the silent chatters of my own classmates about their scores. Also, they were talking about Inoo-kun being the highest marker once again.

I heard some of the girls sigh in admiration when the teacher read out his score.

After a few seconds, I received my paper and took a deep breath before turning to see my score. This is my only chance to save myself… I then let my eyes meet the surface of the paper and saw the number ‘80’ drawn on the top right hand corner of the paper. By this, I pulled a smile, relieved that my score wasn’t that bad as expected.

However, I saw Ruu and Rio eyeing me with their usual evil stares. I imagined invincible red aura coming from them which made me gulp.

I then felt a soft vibration from my skirt pocket and led my way to see who texted me. I then saw Rio’s name on my mobile’s screen.

“I got 84!!! You?” the text say.

Almost immediately, another text was received.

“I got 86… how’s yours?” Ruu’s message just made me more depressed whilst trying my best not to let the teacher see me looking at my phone along with the thought of banging my poor head against my table.

“This is just the worst” I said to myself then placed my head heavily against my desk.

 

--

*Next Day = Confession Day = Valentine’s Day*

As expected, I never heard the end of it from my two best friends. I looked at them with worried eyes while they try to fix my hair and collar to be presentable to Inoo-kun. Ruu then handed me a box of chocolate which she forced me to make and guided my body through the small door of our classroom where Inoo-kun and his friends are expected to be in.

I struggled for a bit before entering the said room but the constant pulling of my friends was just too strong. I immediately felt cold sweat running through my built and gulped once again for the nth time. After seeing Inoo-kun’s laughing figure, I blinked about twice and just felt my knees starting to weaken.

“Do I really have to confess in front of the others?” I said silently.

“Yes… that’s in our bet! Now, do it!” Rio uttered then pushed me hardly inside the room. The two girls then hid themselves outside, with the sure attempt to eavesdrop.

--

“Anou Inoo-kun… Can I talk to you for a moment?” I struggled to say while trying my best to maintain my composure. I then hid the box of chocolates behind my back along with my burned face out of embarrassment!

After a few seconds, I saw Inoo-kun walking towards my direction. I felt my heart pump twice as fast as normal which I definitely know is bad for me. Yet, his clear complexion along with his precious smile just went through me and fired an imaginary arrow through my chest. Within his every step, I felt a series of current running through my spine. “I can do this…” I thought to myself then allowed him to see the cute box I was holding.

“What is it?” he said calmly.

“I – I… I just wanted to give you this” I said bashfully then handed him the box of chocolates… “I – I like you…”

After saying this, I heard nothing from the people around me but I can definitely feel few pairs of eyes firing doubtful looks on my sudden actions. There were only about 8 people in the room but were just enough to sense that I was doing the most embarrassing thing in my life.

“hmmm… Kim-chan. I’m sorry. I – I…”

Struggling to say what he’s thinking, I heard a faint laughter from his friend which is enough to make me more anxious. By this, I didn’t even listen to the continuation of his statement of rejecting me and just felt myself storming out of the room with tears flowing down my cheeks.

“Kim… wait!” I heard Rio said, trying to talk to me. Yet, I just ignored her and went on my way in a place where I can be alone.

--

My chest hurts. I know I like him. I, at least know that. I hate the fact that I forced myself to him even though I know I am nothing compared to other girls. He's Inoo Kei, for goodness' sake!

I looked at the box of chocolates in my hand with the idea of throwing it away. However, a hug out of nowhere just pulled me.

“We’re sorry we made you do this…” Rio and Ruu held me tightly which is enough to make more tears to go out of my eyes involuntarily. By this, I didn’t say anything and just let my tears flow through. Today, I lost my Valentine.

--

It’s been almost half a year when my confession happened. I basically moved on from my embarrassment. However, whenever I meet Inoo-kun’s gaze, I can’t help myself but to look away and just ignore his actual existence.

For the last 6 months I’ve been the centre of attention. Some girls in our class knew about my failed confession and fired laughter at me and some gave sympathy on my part. Some of them just hated my guts. Rio and Ruu on the other hand, were just supportive enough making me smile.

However, I felt the Angel of Faith playing tricks on me when our teacher announced that we will be having new sitting arrangements.

I was not really that keen about it and just hoped that this time; I will be able to sit next to my two best friends. To my dismay, Inoo-kun sat next to me. Yes! Right next to me. The furthest seat on the right nearest to the door because he was late.

“New seats huh? Please take care of me” he smiled then reached his hand anticipating me to take it.

It took me awhile to process what was happening but I just remembered myself shaking his beautifully curved fingers. I then felt my cheeks burning up just like before. I told myself before to move on but that can’t seem to process after seeing his skin pattern blending perfectly with any light beamed in our room…“I’m doomed!” I said to myself whilst biting my lower lip.

-

I tried my best to ignore the existence of the man sitting next to me. However, this guy seems to be so randomly cute even listening to the lectures. Often, I sneakily steal glances of his working face and his serious contemplation towards his text book.

He then looked at me and gave a sudden message through eye contact. However, I just looked away, trying my best to look ‘cool’ (which I think failed).

After a few seconds, he reached out his hand and placed a small note on my desk; not wanting our teacher to see.

I then opened the note slowly and read it with his perfect penmanship.

“What’s wrong?” the note said with his signature on the bottom right hand side of the paper.

By this, I felt an urge to reply and pulled my pen.

“Nothing… I’m fine. I just don’t understand any of this” I tried to come up with an excuse and just wrote something on my paper then passed it back for him to read.

I saw him read the note blankly then pulled off a confused look. After a while, he was scribbling.

“Don’t worry… I’ll teach you after class if you’re free” I read the note which made me blink multiple times. I then rubbed the surface of my eye lids to make sure I was reading it correctly. Inoo Kei is willing to teach me?

I then turned to him with an amazed expression and just nodded silently. I just hope it will go well.

--

*After School*

I peeked back into our classroom a few minutes after my two best friends dragged me into the girl's toilet like I was a real criminal. Rio and Ruu abruptly pulled me to them and decided to flail for me after knowing that Inoo Kei, yes… Inoo Kei is willing to ‘tutor’ me. I can still hear Rio’s words of “make sure you tell us what will happen after your 'tutoring session'” and Ruu’s demand: “Let’s just see what Inoo-kun’s ‘move’ will be”. They grinned happily and waved their good byes to my direction. Those guys are just too hyper sometimes.

On the other hand, I just sighed desperately… trying my best to not think of it as a ‘move’ but just a friendly approach.

-

As I enter the room, I saw a faint figure of him writing something on his notebook. He then looked up after hearing my foot steps and smiled brightly at me. I can just melt on his gesture.

“Hey…”

“Hi…” I said silently, trying my best to speak up against something that is blocked over my voice box.

“Let’s start” he gestured me to sit beside him and led his way to my own notes. He then explained every little detail that is written on his book in relation to my notes.

He talked about the complicated topics of the general ways how to calculate ‘x’ and many other things that’s just too much for me to absorb. I’m usually a good listener. However, every time I look at him, the words coming out from his mouth are just bouncing their way to the atmosphere without me understanding them. I blinked a few times to convince myself to listen but his clear pale complexion is just too perfect to ignore. The faint light coming from the classroom window just helped to reciprocate my thoughts and just expanded them to build my own new world. Even his smell... I never thought I’ll be this close to him. His subtle fragrance is just enough to make a girl’s heart fluster within a split second…

“Kim-chan… are you okay? You look red. Do you have a cold?” he suddenly said which ruined my chain of fantasies.

“Ahhh… I’m okay Inoo-kun… I think I understand this now. Thank you.” I lied and tried my best to look attentive.

“You’re welcome. Shall we try this question?” he answered then pulled his chair closer to me and pointed the first question in my book. By this, I gulped and felt my hand shaking. This time, I knew, I’ve fallen in love with him again.

-

*Inoo Kei’s POV*

It had been almost a year since Kim-chan confessed to me. How did I remember? I just did. Maybe because of the fact that I like her ever since then? I tried my best to convince myself that it was nothing and I did the right thing to reject her. Now, I even hate myself for rejecting the girl I really like. Why did I that in the first place?

//flash back//

“I – I… I just wanted to give you this” I heard her say which left me quiet from where I was standing for a while… I looked at the box of chocolates, then straight to her eyes and saw her rosy cheeks beautifully blended with her school uniform. Her properly fixed hair is just limiting my heart rate… Then, she said: “I – I like you…”

Everything around us seems to stop. I didn’t even hear the sound of the ticking clock banging against my chest just awhile ago. All I heard was silence along with my heavy breathing. I just can’t believe she likes me too.

However, the people behind me just ruined the atmosphere. I heard one of them giggle. By this, I then saw Kim-chan’s expression change almost immediately.

“hmmm… Kim. I’m sorry. I – I…” I heard myself say. The truth is, I was about to apologise to her about my friend’s rude behaviour. However, I think she thought I was rejecting her and just went her way outside our room.

--

“Why did you reject her? I thought you like Kim-chan?” I heard Daiki said.

“I – I…” I struggled to explain and just thought on how dreadful this years’ Valentine’s Day is.

//end of flashback//

I was happy about our new sitting arrangement. Too happy, in fact. I get the chance to sit with her.

Since then, I got the chance to be close to her side. We exchange notes, we kick each other’s chairs when we get sleepy in class and most of all, I get to tutor her after class. I love my brain sometimes. I can be with Kim because of it. By this, I can say we became close.

-

This is the time of the year that I’m looking forward to; it’s Valentine’s Day again. Despite all the chocolates I received just this morning and this afternoon, I’m still anticipating for one more from a certain person.

I looked at her sitting silently beside me in our class, but she seems to ignore my existence. She just silently looked at our professor as if writing his every word.

Time had passed and nothing was received.

------

*Kim’s POV*

It’s Valentine’s day again. This time of the year is just dreadful for me. Every time I see girls bringing in chocolates and bouncing along with them, I just can’t help but to sigh since I remember the time when I was rejected badly.

Me and Inoo-kun became close friends since we’re now sitting next to each other. However, the thought of being rejected is just too much for me. I tried my best to forget about it and move on.

Ruu and Rio gave me chocolates too - obligational chocolates of course. I gave them some too as a return. I was just too jealous since both of them gave their home made chocolates to their own special someone. On my part, I saved one to give to Inoo-kun, just to thank him for ‘tutoring’ me all this time.

Yet, a sudden sensation is just lingering through me every time I try to give it to him.

It’s nearly the end of the day and the chocolates for him are still locked inside my bag.

--

I took a deep breath while eyeing the box of chocolates I just pulled from my bag. Almost all the students in our school went on their way on their ‘dates’ because of the said occasion – Valentine’s Day. By this, I just can’t help but to imagine Inoo-kun having his special date too.

I was about to go too when I felt a sudden pat on my shoulder by someone familiar.

“What are you still doing here?” I heard Hikaru-kun said with the widest smile… “Don’t you have a date?”

“Unfortunately not…”

“The prettiest girl in our class doesn’t have a date?” he said with a smirk, obvious that he’s trying to cheer me up… “How about those chocolates?” he continued.

My gaze immediately turned to his bag. It was overflowing with chocolates too. Hikaru-kun is one of the coolest guys at school after all. I can expect girls also day dreaming about him.

“hmmmm… I don’t really think you’ll need this but…” I sighed and handed the box I was holding to his hand… “I’ll give these chocolates to you since I don’t have anyone to give them to”

“You’re giving them to me? Aren’t they for Kei?” he asked insensitively, as if knowing what’s on my mind that made me silent for a while.

“No… You can have them…”

I watched him smile at me and opened the box excitedly. I just can’t help myself but to smile at the scene. At least, someone is willing to eat my homemade chocolates.

Hikaru-kun then took a piece of chocolate and attempted to put it on his mouth.

However, a sudden grip from another boy just hindered his desired actions. Inoo-kun appeared out of nowhere and pulled Hikaru-kun’s hand.

“Who gave you the right to eat MY chocolates?” Inoo-kun suddenly said and glared at Hikaru with stabbing looks.

“Okay okay… geez~ Here. Have your precious chocolates. I’ll leave you guys in peace” Hikaru-kun remarked and cheekily smiled at me. He then walked to my direction and kissed my forehead slightly.

After doing this, I saw Inoo-kun angrily pulled away from my direction.

“Aren’t you going?” he said, still looking at him sharply.

“Hai hai~ I’m just amused seeing you so jealous…” he laughed and led his way – away from us and indeed left us alone.

--

“Why did you give MY chocolates to Hikaru?” he said with a serious expression.

I stayed quiet for a while, trying to process what he was confidently saying. Hearing him say “my chocolates” just echoed on my mind and just enough to make me speechless.

“Your chocolates?” I said, trying to clear my head… “How did you know they’re for you?”

“hmmm… because MY name is on the box?” he replied with a sarcastic remark which made me remember that indeed, I put his name on the label.

By this, I felt my face burn up with embarrassment without the slightest idea on what to say. Sensing this, he initiatively walked towards me and pulled me closer.

After a few seconds, I felt a soft peck on my lips which is enough to make my own eyes widen in disbelief of what just happened. He then looked at me and then pulled an innocent smile.

 “I’m not good with confessions… but please look forward to your chocolates on White Day”



--

A/N: White Day is when the men are paying back women who had given them chocolate on Valentine's Day to reciprocate their 'feelings' and even chance to confess to the girl they like.