Chapter 7 - Reunited At Last

Weakness

 

It was pure coincidence that Taemin just happened to be the one that Heechul picked up off that swing. What sort of boy, with amazing dress sense just slept on a swing, he did not know. Heechul carried the boy the remaining two blocks to his apartment complex deciding that, taking the elevator might save some time, and energy. Upon entering his luxurious apartment he placed the boy in the guest’s quarters, covered him in a blanket and placed a fluffy pillow under his head. Heechul then returned to the main lounge area, to watch TV. After about an hour hunger got the best of him, so he made way to the kitchen to make himself a sandwich. While pulling out the ingredients he decided he’d make a sandwich, and leave it covered besides the boys’ head so that when he woke up, he could kill the hunger that would be erupting in his stomach. Heechul heard shuffling come down the hallway toward the kitchen, it stopped just outside the door.

‘I see you’ve woken up.’ he said as he continued to make their midnight snack after all it was nearing on 11:30 pm. He didn’t answer, so Heechul took the liberty to question him further.

‘Did you sleep well? I can’t believe you fell asleep on a swing, that’s something I couldn’t do.’ Heechul reprimanded him. He was almost finished making the sandwiches when he saw the latter tense his fists balled so tight.

‘Are you okay there? You’re tense? Is everything alright?’ He asked beginning to worry about the boy he barely knew.

‘No. But don’t worry about me I’ll be fine.’ Said the boy through gritted teeth he looked like he was about to hit something. Heechul walked around hoping that giving him a neck massage would release some of the tension that was building up inside the boy. He rested his hands on his shoulders, and began massaging through the tense knots that had formed through his trapezius muscles, and then he felt the boy relax beneath him.

‘Would you like to tell me what’s wrong? I might be able to help you know?’ Heechul question the boy had barely spoken but when he did it was, descriptive, but punctual. The same, with what he said next.

‘No thank you, you wouldn’t understand, not many people do.’ When the boy spoke he was particularly agitated. Heechul wondered whether what happened yesterday, was the cause of people not understanding, he wondered if that’s why the boy was sitting on the swing.

‘I’ve been through more than you realise…’ Heechul started but his mind trailed of the that night, where he watched an assassin kill his parents, about how he sacrificed his life and body, to save his little brother, who he doubted had any idea of what was going on. He was only 7 after all.

‘Hello?’ Heechul heard faintly in the background, bringing him slowly back into reality. For some strange reason, he felt the need to tell the boy; maybe he could sympathize with him. Heechul’s story poured out of his mouth, he watched the boy’s reaction first sympathy, and then his expression changed.

‘Heechul?’ The boy asked nervously his eyes almost boring a hole into Heechul’s. But then it struck him only other person knew the events that happened that night was Taemin.

‘Taemin?’ Heechul answered, as tears now flew from his eyes as well. He embraced Taemin in a hug. He found his brother by pure coincidence. Heechul praised all the powers in the universe. He thanked them with all his heart.

‘Oh my god Taeminnie, I can’t believe it’s you, it’s really you…’ Heechul trailed off. Taemin just pulled tighter into his brother’s embrace crying like a 3 year old child who’d just got scolded.

‘Hyung… I missed you… I’m sorry I couldn’t do anything to protect you, I was weak.’ Taemin blurted out. Heechul pushed Taemin’s shoulders, but only just enough to look him in the eyes.

‘Taemin-ah you’re so silly, you were 7 there’s nothing you could’ve done, and besides what are big brothers for?’ Heechul smiled, with wet cheeks.

‘Anyway, it’s all over now; I avenged our family years ago with my bare hands.’ Heechul pulled Taemin’s head to his chest, resting his chin in his brother’s golden hair.

‘But hyung…’ Taemin started.

‘No buts Taeminnie.’ Taemin suddenly ripped himself apart from his hyung, shocking Heechul. Did he do something wrong?

‘Taeminnie, what’s wrong?’ Heechul asked worried.

‘Stop calling me that! I can’t deal with this at the moment!’ Taemin said anger flaring up inside him again. Taemin marched down the hall towards the guest’s quarters, where he woke up.

‘Taemin-ah tell me what’s wrong.’ Heechul replies furiously that his brother had acted so hateful towards him after so long.

‘Taemin!’ Heechul yelled pulling Taemin wrist to turn him around. Grabbing his other wrist so that he now had both of Taemin’s hands he continued.

‘Tell me what’s wrong Taemin.’ Taemin looked up at his hyung, why couldn’t Minho just have left him alone.

‘Heechul hyung, do you remember the stories I used to tell you about the frog boy at school?’ Taemin asked turning his towards Heechul to look him in the eye.

‘Of course I do Taemin, what about him?’ Heechul asked curiously, wondering what frog boy had to do with this conversation.

‘I went to visit Umma and Appa’s grave 2 days ago, and I ran into him he remembered me and he asked me why I never returned. I told him everything about what happened that night, and everything afterwards, about how they tried to send me to foster homes, but left me in an orphanage because I was classed too docile. About how I never made friends, so I could study to become a criminal investigator and lawyer and worked my of to support myself so I didn’t have to live in some run down apartment, so that in the end, I could avenge our parents murder…’ Taemin paused for a breath.

‘Then yesterday he turned up at outside my apartment building and couldn’t keep his eyes off me, I got mad at him and ran away, but when I returned home he was at my door apologizing, then he kissed me, at first I was shocked but then lust took over, and we ed. I woke up later that afternoon in his arms, I felt repulsed. I couldn’t allow it love is weak, he broke me, I tried to be so strong but he broke me. So I ran for hours until I arrived at the park by that time it was dark, he was just using me hyung…’ Taemin looked up Heechul.

‘… I know it, he just wanted me to suffer.’ Taemin clenched his fists. Heechul looked at his brother how had Taemin’s mind misconstrued everything so easily. But he thought Taemin, deserved the truth after all he worked towards for the last 15 years, he deserved it.

‘Taemin-ah, whether you believe me or not, Minho loves you… Even he may not know that yet but he loves you. It’s so obvious, he wasn’t trying to use you he was trying to tell you what, he hasn’t been able to do these past 15 years.’ Taemin stood there frozen, was what Heechul spoke the truth?

‘Love is the strongest thing of all Taemin, whether it’s with a man or women, love is all that matters. Go back to him Taemin, it’s what’s right.’ Heechul continued.

‘But hyung…’ Taemin started.

‘What did I tell you Taemin. No buts! Now go, I know that back when you were little you liked him. Taemin, go back to him, rekindle that fire, that was smouldered long ago.’ Taemin knew his brother was right, the night they made love, Taemin longed for Minho. He thought about all the dreams he had these past years, about playing in the playground with him, just being friends, but now he had the opportunity to be so much more than that. Something clicked over in Taemin’s head; he’d been looking at everything the wrong way these past years. Now he had the chance to make them right.

‘Thanks hyung.’ Taemin rushed off, only to return a few seconds later.

‘Ah, hyung?’ Taemin scratched the back of his head.

‘Neh, Taeminnie?’ Heechul looked up to his little brother.

‘Umm, where’s the front door?’ Taemin asked stupidly, Heechul just laughed.

‘This way.’ Taemin joined in on the laughter as Heechul lead him to the front door, hugging his brother, bidding him farewell, and ensuring him that he would be back soon, Taemin left for a long journey home.