Chapter 3 - Painful Stories

Weakness

 

Before Taemin could reveal his story to anyone he needed comfort, he needed his home, just being in this suburb, chilled Taemin to the core.

‘Minho-ah? I’ll tell you, but not here, it’s not safe.’ Ever since Taemin had left school he had been investigating into his parent’s murder, but more importantly where was Heechul.

‘Okay Taemin, where do you want to go?’ Minho questioned completely forgetting his duties at the cemetery and focusing on the boy kneeling next to him.

‘My house.’ was all Taemin before he stood up and started walking.

‘Follow.’ Minho slowly stood up following about 10 paces behind Taemin, the entire way to the bus stop. Taemin did not speak a word, not at the bus stop, not on the bus, not even after he got off the bus. Minho just silently followed. Words did not exit Taemin’s mouth until after they’d reached his apartment, shoes had been kicked aside, and Taemin had made his way to the lounge area, to lay down on one of the couches as he instructed Minho, to also do. Minho could tell he was in for one hell of a story. Taemin hadn’t told his story to anyone before because for one there was no one Taemin cared for enough and two what if they offered him help, it wouldn’t be a solid effort, on avenging his parents’ death will the help of another. He still couldn’t rap his head around the fact that he was about to tell Minho. I just felt so right to tell him. Taemin began his story telling every detail about the story to Minho, about how they killed his parents, about how Heechul gave his life to keep Taemin safe, and how he waited in the house with the rotting corpses of his parents, due to the fact that he was still in shock and no one came to look for him. He told Minho about his promise to himself, Heechul and his parents. Taemin proceeded to explain what happened after he left the house. How when a social worker found him on the streets, and wanted to send him to foster homes, but Taemin was rendered too docile, even for that. About how he was sent to an orphanage. How Taemin refused to talk to anyone, or interact for that matter. Taemin ate, slept, and stood staring out the window of his room, plotting revenge on everything that had happened to his family. Minho intently listened to Taemin’s story, no one should ever have to go through that, was all Minho could think how had no one realise the trauma he had so obviously been through especially at such a young age. But Taemin continued about how he studied well in school, about how he finally achieved being in the top of every class and eventually the whole school. How Taemin now goes to University to study Law, how besides study he worked his off to be able to afford to live in a decent home. About how he made his living and on top of all about when he finally found the men who instructed the executioner to do his bidding he would brutally murder his family one by one, so that he would get a taste of what he went through, but no one else would ever truly know. Minho sat there stunned; does he really plan on doing this? Minho didn’t know what to think, but his body appeared to have a mind of his own.

‘Taemin-ah?’ Minho stood up going over a kneeling next to the couch where Taemin lay. Taemin lay there still tears flowing down his cheeks, staring at the ceiling, pain welling up in his chest. Lip trembling, Minho embraced the boy but this time it was different, Taemin immediately hugged him back, so tightly Minho could say it hurt. Taemin sobbed into Minho’s chest, it had been so long since he truly cried, too long in fact.

‘Taeminnie, I care, I truly care, and even though we have just met again. I promise to do my best to take care of you. Taeminnie you are so strong and wilful, I don’t know anyone else that could’ve been through that and survived, and for that I commend you. Please Taemin, always stay strong.’ Were the words the left Minho mouth in a whisper next to Taemin’s ear. Taemin’s heart stopped, Minho had just commended him for being strong, when he worried so much about being weak. Taemin lifted his head from Minho’s chest looking him in the eye.

‘You really think I’m strong?’ Taemin asked his eyes never leaving Minho’s.

‘Of course, I wouldn’t have said it, if I didn’t mean it.’ Was all Minho said before he kissed Taemin on the forehead and Taemin laid his head back on his chest. Taemin’s mind rolled over everything that Minho had just said his eyes widened had he really called him Taeminnie.

‘Minho, what did you just call me?’ once again Taemin lifted his head from his chest to look into Minho’s eyes.

‘Taeminnie, why don’t you like it?’ Minho half pouted.

‘I thought it was creative to come up with a nick name like that, I won’t call you that if you don’t...’ but before he could finish Taemin cut him off.

‘No! Minho I love it, it’s just that...’ Taemin paused tearing his eyes away from Minho.

‘It’s just that... that’s what Heechul used to call me.’ More tears drifted down his cheeks. Minho broke free from the embrace to lie next to Taemin on the lounge but only to pull him close to himself yet again. Taemin happily obliged something about Minho made Taemin remember the good memories that happened to him before his parents’ death, not just the hate that consumed his heart because of what happened. They lay there together, listening to everything, but nothing at the same time. Minho noticed Taemin short breaths turn into long even ones, noting that Taemin had fallen asleep. Gently he got up, picking up Taemin and trying to find out where Taemin’s bedroom was. After making way down the hallway looking into all the rooms, Minho finally found Taemin’s bedroom. Carefully laying Taemin down he manoeuvred the blankets from under him to pull them back up over Taemin. Wondering just how mentally exhausted Taemin must be. Minho leant down a pressed a kiss to Taemin’s head; slowly pulling back he found a smile on Taemin lips, as he knelt down beside the bed. Minho stared at Taemin for what felt like an eternity but in reality was only about 5 minutes. He studied every aspect of Taemin’s face realising that he didn’t look much different from when they took nap time together all those years ago. Still peaceful, still child-like and yet absolutely perfect. Minho stood up, breathing heavily, why had his heart started racing, and Minho clutched his chest not knowing what had caused his heart to beat so fast. Walking out from Taemin bedroom, he went to the kitchen to find a pen and paper to leave Taemin some sort of reassurance that he wasn’t just a figment of his imagination. The note read;

‘Dear Taeminnie,

I hope you sleep well; you needed it you seemed so tense and exhausted even from when I ran into you today. If you need anything please don’t hesitate to call me. You’re amazing Minnie, don’t forget that. I’ll forever commend you.

Stay strong!’

Minho, XXX-XXX-XXX.