Chapter 12

Let the Games Begin

 

Hey, Kyuhyun. Wake up.”

Kyuhyun frowned, rolling away from the disturbance. Why was he always being woken up here? Couldn't he decide when he wanted to wake up?

Yeah, one second.” The man said politely, then his tone changed when he faced the bed once again. “Kyuhyun, get up! There's someone on the phone for you!”

 

Siwon glanced up. Kangin was still mercilessly trying to wake up the brunet. The guy had finally gone to sleep around six in the morning, an hour ago.

Not that Siwon had noticed.

The darker haired man had taken his script out and, as usual, started to process of memorizing new lines and remembering old ones. He got up and made his way around the other two, who were still having a one-way argument.

Siwon's brows furrowed as he made his way down the stairs. A phone call for the kid? Who was it from? What did they want?

He shook his head. It wasn't his business.

Siwon waled into the kitchen, planning to take a seat at the overly large table and read his script through a couple more times until Wookie had finished making breakfast, but he changed his mind when he saw the gathering the the corner.

Shindong walked in and yawned. “What's going on?”

Siwon shrugged and headed over to the group.

Should we pick it up?” Ryeowook asked in a hushed voice.

Eunhyuk shook his head. “It's for him. We shouldn't pry.”

Donghae had his head on the other's shoulder, and was staring at a small black phone on a corner table. “Yeah, but who is it?”

Who knows.” Yesung mumbled, curiosity growing.

Will someone just pick up the damn phone already?” Heechul shouted. “I want to know who the hell it is!”

Hankyung shook his head, pulling the bright-haired man away from the object. “This has nothing to do with us, we should just walk away now, before you get upset.” He smiled wryly.

I am upset!” Heechul growled, pointing at the phone. “I want to know what whoever-that-is wants with Cho.”

He's not ours, you know.” Shindong stated. “And he's only been with us for a week. We barely know him.”

Heechul glared. “I know that kid like the back of my hand. I deserve to know who's calling him. What is he's in trouble? What if it's a threat. I need to know.”

Hankyung frowned.

Donghae blinked. “Heechul, you haven't even seen him in three days.”

Whatever, I saw him at breakfast.”

Shindong rolled his eyes and started a new argument with the short-tempered male.

Siwon sighed and raised his hand until everyone was quiet. Then he stepped forward, quickly pressed the speaker button, and then joined the group again.

 

Kyuhyun groaned. “FINE! I'll take the phone!” He reached out and pulled the object out of the older man's hand and held it to his ear. “What?”

If you acted like this while you were at my house, I would have kicked you out.”

Kyuhyun's eyes widened and he sat straight up, not even noticing as Kangin left the room. “Why are you calling me? How did you even get this number?”

Can't a sister call her brother?” An amused laugh flowed from the device. “It was hard finding you.”

Kyuhyun scowled. “Why?”

Mom wanted to call you and ask you how classes were going. Your roommate picked up and said that you had moved out. Mom had a heart-attack and called me.” She explained. “You should know better, baby brother, you could have killed that old woman.”

Why was she so upset?” Kyuhyun frowned.

The woman on the other end scoffed. “You have to ask? She's already failed with me and the other one, the only one she has left is you: the perfect son. She'd thought you had dropped out or something.”

You know I'd never do that.” Kyuhyun sighed. “How is she, anyway?”

Oh, you know her. She was in the middle of cleaning the kitchen when she called me. I was actually kind of hoping you had dropped out.”

What?”

The woman sighed. “Kyuhyun, you've lived your entire life by the book. Don't you want to cut loose for once?”

Kyuhyun stood and walked to the other side of the room. “You know I can't do that.”

Right, right. You'd hurt Mom and Dad's feelings.” She groaned. “Kyuhyun, you need to get over that feeling of commitment to them. And soon. Mom's already looking for a job for you.”

That's nice.”

You know what she's thinking about next?” The woman hissed. “Marriage. She was telling me about this new girl who moved in down the road, how nice she was, and how perfect she would be for you. It's madness! You can't tell me that you actually want that!”

No.” Kyuhyun admitted slowly. “I don't want that.”

Good.” A sigh of relief came from the other line. “Now, decide what you do want. This is the perfect time for it. That woman has minimal control over you for a little while longer. Don't waste it.”

Yes, ma'am.”

Don't get smart with me. Just because I can't hit you doesn't mean I won't remember this next time when you come to visit me.”

Kyuhyun laughed. “All right.”

Seriously, Kyuhyun.” The woman sighed. “Choose your own path. I'll call Mom for you. I don't want her to brainwash you. Listen, I'm going to call you again in a week, and I want you to tell me about some amazing thing that happened because you made it happen.”

Kyuhyun groaned half-heartedly. “Okay. Call my cell next time.”

...You have a cell?”

Yeah, Dad bought it for me last year.” He stated.

Dammit, Kyu! You have to tell me these things!” She sighed. “I'll get your number from Mom. Why didn't she try calling you? Oh well. I really have to go now. The baby's up.”

Kyuhyun nodded. He could hear a small wail in the background. “Another one?” He chuckled.

Yes, but I swear, this is the last one. No more children.”

Kyuhyun laughed. “Okay, bye.”

Bye.” She sang. “Oh, and remember, stand up for something! Be aggressive!”

Kyuhyun sighed, putting the phone down. That woman really was way too nosy for her own good. He got up and left the room.

 

Did she just hang up?”

I don't know.” Yesung answered Ryeowook. “Did he hang up?”

All eight men who had been listening in on the conversation–including Kangin, who had joined in halfway through the phone call–froze as footsteps echoed from the stairs.

Heechul was the first to react. “Quick! Everyone, take a seat!”

A majority of the group scrambled for a chair.

Ryeowook panicked. “What do I do? I'm usually cooking when he comes down!”

Grab a pot and put a lid on it, and then actually start cooking. Siwon, help him.” Heechul ordered, trying to organize Hankyung's midnight black hair into a stylish fashion.

Ryeowook did as told, creating a loud mess of clangs and bangs as he struggled to pull out both pots and lids. Siwon came over and threw an arm over the younger, watching as the other tried to start cooking.

Kyuhyun paused in the doorway. Everyone was looking at him, even Ryeowook, who was at least trying not to be obvious. He frowned. “Did somebody die?”

Kangin shook his head furiously. “No! Why would you think that?”

Nobody's talking. And you're not reading your paper.”

Kangin rolled his eyes. “I don't always read the newspaper.”

Yes you do!” Donghae exclaimed, then slammed his hands over his mouth and hid his face in Eunhyuk's back when he realized what he said.

Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes.

Heechul eyed the group. “Somebody say something.” He hissed, hoping Kyuhyun didn't hear him.

Your sister sounds like you.” Shindong commented after a long silence. He dodged a flying spoon thrown by Heechul.

You're an idiot.” Yesung sighed.

You guys listened in on my conversation?” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. “I should have expected that, I suppose.” He took a seat across from Yesung.

That's it?” Hankyung asked, slightly surprised and used to the tantrums thrown by the others.

Kyuhyun shrugged. “Well, yeah. I'm not mad or anything.”

Donghae grinned. “Yay! Hey, Eunhyuk, what are we doing today?”

That was all it took for conversation to break out. Kangin took out his newspaper, Heechul began gossiping while Hankyung lectured him on judging others, and Ryeowook started making breakfast.

I don't know. Did you want to go practice on one of the stages?” Eunhyuk asked the younger who was slowly coming out of hiding behind him.

Yeah!” Donghae cheered. “Shindong, do you want to come too?”

The man nodded. “I haven't danced in a while. Sounds fun.”

Donghae stood and started jumping up and down. “Let's go now!” He pulled Eunhyuk out of his seat and paused in the doorway. “Kyuhyun, do you want to come too?”

The youngest froze, not having expected to be invited. He shrugged, he didn't have anything else to do. “Okay.” He stood and began to follow the trio.

Siwon frowned and threw his other arm over Ryeowook's shoulder, resting his head on the arm. “Do you want to do something with me, Wookie?”

The smaller shrugged, trying not to cut himself with the knife he was using. “Sure.”

Kyuhyun frowned at the pair.

We'll be back later!” Donghae announced, leading the way to the door.

Kyuhyun tapped the bubbly brunet on the shoulder when they got outside. “Is he always like that?”

Is who like what?”

Siwon. Does he always do...that?” He asked again.

It took a second until Donghae's eyes lit up in understanding. “Oh. Yeah, of course! He really likes hugs, and he's not picky. He'll take them from everybody.”

Siwon is the perfect example of a human jacket.” Eunhyuk stated.

Donghae nodded, draping himself over the man, illustrating the point. “Exactly.”

I nabbed Yesung's keys, so we're taking the Mini.” Shindong announced.

Donghae cheered and pulled Eunhyuk into the rear seat along with himself.

Kyuhyun sat in the passenger's seat and wondered why he was a little upset after Donghae's explanation.

 

Now that Kyuhyun could actually see the performing arts building, he gaped, stunned into silence. It was large, but only had two floors. The building had been designed elaborately, and looked like a distant cousin of the Sydney Opera House. Triangles and edges jutted out, painted different colors, and the path leading there had been made using translucent blue stones. Kyuhyun wondered how he hadn't noticed that.

Well,” Eunhyuk walked past the still man, “are you just going to stand there?”

Yeah, come on!” Donghae grinned, skipping down the path. Eunhyuk ran after him, and the two ended up racing to the front doors.

Shindong huffed. “Children.”

Kyuhyun followed the larger man inside and marveled once again at all the artwork done by students he hadn't, and probably would never, meet.

Over here!” Donghae waved the brunet over and led him to a set of double doors that Eunhyuk was in the process of opening.

Kyuhyun stepped in and looked around. It looked like the same room that Siwon and he had been in days prior, but he knew that that room was on the other side of the building. He tried to find differences and finally noticed something. The stage was bigger. There were at least five rows of seats missing, and the curtains were more flimsy, leaving room for the huge mass of black platform. He turned back around to see Eunhyuk and Donghae writing something on a clipboard. He went closer to try and read it.

Shindong noticed him. “Whenever you use this room, you have to sign in. Security purposes.”

Kyuhyun leaned forward and finally saw that the two men had written Lee with the number two before it. He frowned.

Donghae saw Kyuhyun and laughed. “It's our names.” He explained. “Lee Donghae and Lee Hyukjae. Eunhyuk's his stage name. Therefore, we are two Lee.”

Kyuhyun shook his head. “It doesn't flow.”

Eunhyuk arched a brow. “What do you suggest?”

Eunhae.” Shindong said quickly.

For the last time, Shindong. No.” Eunhyuk said firmly, walking towards the stage.

Donghae followed. “Why does his name have to be first?”

I like it.” Kyuhyun commented as soon as the two were out of earshot.

Shindong grinned. “Thanks.” He went to follow the pair, but was stopped by an arm.

Wait. But how will they know that it's the two of them that signed in? They only put down their last names. There's got to be tons of 'Lee's.” Kyuhyun questioned.

Shindong smiled. “Yeah but there's no '2Lee's.” He turned away. “Just look at the sheet.”

Kyuhyun slowly made his way to the sign in sheet and flipped through the pages. At least every other entry on there was '2Lee'. He frowned and looked at the three on the stage, who were rolling around and stretching. Who were these guys? He walked up to the first row of seats and sat down in the center. “Isn't this place a bit...much to practice all the time?”

Shindong shrugged. “Well, we do have that little room back home.”

But it's too small.” Donghae whined. “We only go there when we're really lazy and we don't want to drive here.”

The stage has better acoustics and a more professional atmosphere.” Eunhyuk explained, leaning down to grab his outstretched feet. “Plus, we want to get used to the stage.”

Kyuhyun's eyebrows rose. “So you all want to be dancers?”

Yes.” They spoke altogether.

Eunhyuk leaned backwards and then stopped. “Donghae, go put the music on.”

The brunet grinned. “Okay.”

Kyuhyun sat in the chair, stunned as the three danced. They moved at the same speed, at least until Eunhyuk moved forwards and performed a series of moves that had Kyuhyun wanting to stand and applaud the man. All he managed was a 'wow'. The music changed to something more electronic and this time the three moved to their own beat, popping and locking at random times but still looking as through each move was carefully choreographed.

If Kyuhyun had met Shindong on the street, he would have thought him to be slow, uncoordinated and sloppy. But he wasn't. Not at all. Kyuhyun was stunned into silence as the man performed the most elaborate moves, bending his arms and legs faster than Kyuhyun's eyes could see, and seeming more android than human.

Out of the three, Eunhyuk was the best. He just was. But it was really hard to try to choose who was best after that. Although Shindong moved seemingly effortlessly, Donghae looked to be putting all of his work into every single move, and made everything flow. The slighter brunet put up a tough fight between himself and Eunhyuk, and it looked like they were having a contest until the music ended.

Donghae immediately collapsed, laughing. “I haven't practiced in forever!” He shouted, out of breath. “I'm getting fat.”

Fat?” Eunhyuk scoffed. “You're as thin as a stick.” He did some sort of odd jumpy move.

Donghae made a face. “That's even worse!” He glared at Eunhyuk when he chuckled. “Oh, you can laugh, Mr. Sixpack.”

More like eight pack.” Shindong muttered, trying to better his robot likeness.

Kyuhyun seemed to find his voice. “That was really good.” He said seriously.

Really?” Shindong smiled, pausing.

Kyuhyun merely nodded.

Sometimes we can get Hankyung to join us. He's really good, too.” Eunhyuk stated. “But, it's hard to get him anywhere by himself. Heechul's always attached to his hip.”

Not that that's a bad thing!” Shindong said quickly, looking around as though checking for cameras.

Kyuhyun grinned at humorous man.

Kibum used to come too.” Donghae mumbled, eyes downcast.

Eunhyuk sighed. “You have to forget about that jerk, Donghae.” He bit his lip and then leaned down, whispering something in the younger's ear.

Donghae's brown eyes lit up and he bounced off the stage and over to Kyuhyun. He sat beside the younger, practically bouncing in his seat. “So, Eunhyuk and I had a really fun time last night. So, we want to go out again, tonight.”

Kyuhyun was immediately alarmed.

Minus the scary movie.” He laughed, having seen Kyuhyun's frightened face. “Does dinner sound good? And of course Siwon will be coming, too.”

Dinner sounds okay.” Kyuhyun said, finally.

Donghae grinned. “Great. Then we can go when we're done here. We usually take a while. We've actually stayed overnight more than once.” He jumped out of the chair and was about to lift himself back onto the stage when he caught the longing look Kyuhyun was giving Eunhyuk. He froze at first, defensive and frightened, but then lightened up when he saw the younger give Shindong the same look when Eunhyuk took a break. He walked back over.

Kyuhyun jumped slightly when he saw that Donghae was right in front of him.

I could teach you, 'ya know.” He smiled warmly.

Huh?”

You want to do it too right? The popping and locking?” Donghae pointed at Eunhyuk as the Dancing Machine began again. “I could show you how to do it, if you want.”

Kyuhyun's eyes widened. “Really?”

Donghae grinned. “Yeah.” He pulled the younger out of the seat and onto the stage. “Well, the most important thing is talent. You've got to have it. We'll see if you have it.” He guided the younger through a series of moves and grinned once he was done, telling the boy to do it without guidance. Donghae's grin widened. “Hey, Eunhyuk!” He called the man over. “We might have another dancer.” He motioned Kyuhyun to start.

Kyuhyun nodded and did what Donghae had shown him; a short series of moving his knees out, pressing his arms to his chest and then back, jumping in place, and running his hands down his legs. He finished with a jump that he had added.

Eunhyuk and Shindong laughed, and the blonder of the two clapped. “Well, you have charisma. As for the dancing, it needs work.” He said honestly.

Kyuhyun nodded. Well, he didn't think that he would actually be able to be compared to the three just after a couple moves taught by Donghae.

But,” Began Shindong, “he does dance better than a lot of the graduates in our classes.”

Oh, yeah!” Donghae laughed and clapped. He turned to face Kyuhyun. “There's this one guy in the class, and I swear all he can do is...wait, let me show you.” The man backed up and bit and curled both fists, ing into the air.

Eunhyuk crumpled up on the ground, laughing hysterically while Shindong and Kyuhyun dissolved into laughter.

Donghae continued, ing in a circle before finishing with a crotch grab. “I'm serious!” He shouted at the laughing trio. “That's what he does!”

It's different when you do it.” Eunhyuk explained between gasps of air.

When the three had collected themselves, they wasted the rest of the day by dancing. Donghae taught Kyuhyun different dances, and then had the other two watch them. Eunhyuk owned the spotlight, making his way around the stage like a pro, and Shindong practiced his popping and locking beside the stereo. 

 

A/N: OMG. Why was this so hard to write?!?!

Anyway, since this was sort of all Eunhae-y, the next one will be Wonkyu. Yeah.

Also, made it to 40 subs! *fistpunch* thanks, you guys!

I couldn't not include Donghae...

(x)

Inspirations for Kyuhyun's "dance" (links):

(the last one has a little Wonkyu). He's so adorkable.