Kai ☼ Love Hate

In The Summer ☼

"I hate you, I love you, my heart keeps changing

I love you, I hate you, the clock hand goes back and forth 

Isn't love and hate the same thing anyway?"

f(x) - Love Hate

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baekhyun, Kai, Sehun, and I have stayed on the island for several months. Everything was somewhat peaceful, with no conflicts whatsoever. The only problem is when feelings start to arise, and it's not just a casual type of feeling...

It’s romantic feelings. 

Unlike most people, we weren't tossing shy glances at each other and blushing wildly at any form of physical contact. In fact, we were probably in what most people would call a "love hate" relationship. Except, the thing is, Kai hasn't even confessed to me yet; we aren't an official couple. So day-by-day, my mind would be in a constant state of chaos. 

"God, you two fight like a married couple." Baekhyun commented today.

He was right; Kai and I were like that. We would be having a fight that had the potential of tearing the island completely apart, but then in a flash, we'd be acting like we've been dating peacefully for years. While I didn't really mind this at first, I soon found myself growing frustrated by it. Does Kai really like me? Or is he just playing around? I'm unsure of his feelings for me, but one this is for sure...

I like him...a lot....

~☼~

To: Idiot Kai

From: Minae 

Hey. Where are you? I have something to tell you. 

...

To: Minae

From: Idiot Kai 

Good morning, beautiful. I'm at the skate park with Baekhyun and Sehun. Go there and we can talk. (Maybe even do a little more) ;) 

...

So I made up my mind. I was going to confess to Kai. Whether he accepts it or not, I'm ready to face it. Hopefully, he wasn't in a mood to fool around and make me angry, because I was absolutely serious. I walked down the gravelly road silently, making my way towards the skate park. I took several deep breaths to calm myself down. I was afraid that my heart would pop out of my chest and I would literally die before I get there. I clenched my fists tightly when I saw Kai and the others doing their flips and tricks on the half pipe. 

'C'mon, Minae. You can do this.'

"Hey!" I called out to them. 

The boys stopped skateboarding to turn and look at me. I decided to wear my prettiest sundress today: a strapless light, pink one that had a cute bow on the front of it. I could see Kai almost drooling at the sight of me. I beamed brightly at him, satisfied by his positive reaction. I guess it was a good boost to my confidence.

"Hi, Minae!" Sehun replied cheerfully, cutting the staring contest short. 

"Hey, um... Can I talk to Kai privately?" I asked.

Baekhyun and Sehun tossed mischievous glances at each other.

"Sure." Baekhyun said.

I nodded gratefully before grabbing Kai's arm and pulling him off to a more private and quieter part of the skate park. Kai was grinning widely at me. In response, I gave him a small glare,

"What?"

"So we're really going to do a little more, huh?" He drawled seductively. 

"No, Kai. I have something really serious to tell you." I deadpanned, trying not to react to his words. If I wanted to confess, I wanted to do it in the most confident way possible. No stuttering or blushing. 

"Okay, then tell me." Kai said. 

"I like you, Kai. Can you be my boyfriend?" I confessed. I was about to revel in the feelings of having something off of my chest when Kai...

started laughing.

Was he laughing at me? Did I say something wrong? How is this confession even funny?

"Why...why are you--" I started. 

"Good one, Minae!" He exclaimed, doubling over in laughter. 

"Huh?" I frowned, feeling even more confused.

Kai patted my shoulder and smiled,

"You almost made me believe that you liked me. I guess this is revenge for all the arguments we had, eh?" 

Silence. Absolute silence. I wanted to tell him that my confession was completely serious, but it felt like my voice couldn't come out. I was soaring with confidence, only to be pulled down by the weight of what? Of reality? I bit my lower lip, holding back the tears. Strong heiress or not, this was something that I, or any other girl, can't handle emotionally. I shoved Kai angrily, screaming,

"I hate you! I really, really hate you!"

The thing is, even though we bicker a lot, I've never said to Kai that I hated him. It was always either a "you " or an "I don't like you". I didn't want to use "hate" because it was a rather strong word. However, this time, it was different. 

"Huh? Wait...Min--!" Kai exclaimed. 

I ran off before he could catch me and ask my what's wrong. Sometimes, I don't get why I even try to be mature with him. 

...

Kai went back to Baekhyun and Sehun with a dazed expression on his face. Baekhyun grabbed his arm and asked,

"How did it go?" 

"What do you mean by that?" Kai furrowed his brows, still unsure about the fiasco that just happened. 

"Minae confessed to you, right? Did you say yes or no?" Sehun said.

"Oh...Oh my god." Kai murmured. 

"Huh?" Baekhyun tilted his head to the side. 

"I thought...I thought she was kidding!" Kai exclaimed, slapping his palm against his forehead. 

Sehun frowned and slapped Kai's arms lightly, 

"You idiot! I can't believe you did that!" 

"What are you doing? Go find her!" Baekhyun shouted. 

Kai ran off, going in the direction where Minae went. As he was running, he searched through his mind; thinking about where she could've went. He stopped by her home first, peering through the windows, He had no luck in finding her, but he knew that it was too early to give up. Next, he decided to go to the beach. He went to the usual place where Minae would hang out by herself: the palm tree with the white beach chair. Kai kicked the sand when he found the spot completely empty. Where could she have gone? 

...

On the beach, there was a giant cave opening that is blocked partially by rocks. I had trained myself to crawl over them in order to get into the cave. I would usually go in there whenever I'm upset or I just need to be isolated from the world. So, here I was, with my knees pulled up to my chest while I drew miscellaneous shapes on the sand. I stopped when I heard a familiar voice calling for me,

"Minae! Where are you?"

Kai. He was the last person I wanted to see, to be honest. I'm glad that he doesn't know about this cave's existence. I knew that I would have to get out and confront him sooner or later, but right now, I really didn't want to talk. I, however, was also a little curious. How is he feeling now? I hope he finally figured out why he made me so upset. I climbed up several rocks before peeking over. I scanned the beach closely before I saw him. His face showed that he had lost all hope. His gaze was casted downward, and his light brown Calvin Klein t-shirt was an absolute mess. I wonder how long he had been looking for me? I let out a small sigh of relief as I watched him leave the beach. 

...

It was late afternoon. I eventually got out of the cave and just wandered around aimlessly; unsure of whether I should return home or not. My eyes widened when I heard the sound of people talking in the distance. They're coming! In a hasty attempt to hide, I went behind a large rock and sat down, facing away from the boys and towards the ocean. I decided to eavesdrop a bit on their conversation...

"Are you sure?" 

"I looked everywhere! I really couldn't find her!" 

"No need to get so worried. Minae is a strong girl. I'm sure she'll take care of herself, wherever she is." 

"I just hope she's fine..."

"Man, you really screwed up this time." 

I stayed completely silent, biting my lower lip. Now that I think about it, my actions were rather selfish. I made Baekhyun and Sehun, who had no relations to our argument, worry. When I heard the door to their cottage shut, I made a mad dash to my house and closed the door quietly. All I wanted to do now is sleep and forget about all of my problems.

~☼~

Beep beep

That definitely wasn't the sound of my alarm...because I didn't have one. I groaned as I sat up in bed, rubbing my eyes furiously. I reached over to grab my phone to read the text that I had just received:

To: Minae

From: The Stupid  

Minae, I'm really sorry. Can you please go to the palm tree forest next to the beach? Please? I have to tell you something. 

I frowned slightly at his text message. The stupid , also known as Kai, has something to say to me? He's probably going to apologize and then beg for my forgiveness. Then we'll become friends and that's it...

Just friends. 

Sighing, I dragged myself out of bed and got ready. Whatever. I'd rather get this over with now than later. 

~☼~

I wore a gray sundress with a black sweater over it. For shoes, I wore a pair of leather sandals. As I was walking to the palm tree forest, I felt weirdly...empty. As if I was completely emotionless; no nervousness, no confidence... 

Nothing.

I stared down at the road ahead of me. Maybe my feelings for Kai were totally gone...?

"Minae."

I spoke too soon. At the sound of his voice, I looked up and my heart began to accelerate. He was looked absolutely stunning; tight, dark blue jeans, a light blue short-sleeved dress shirt, a white wife-beater underneath, and black tennis shoes. Kai didn't seem like his usual, arrogant self today. He was twirling his sunglasses nervously in his hands, but he had a very serious and powerful gaze. 

"Kai..." I muttered. 

"I'm so sorry, Minae. I should've taken you seriously--"

"What's done is done, Kai. Don't worry too much." I gave him a forced smile. After this talk, I'm starting to think that our friendship will no longer be the same. 

"No. Listen to me, Minae. The thing is..." Kai started. 

He paused, hesitant to continue. 

"Kai, if you have nothing else to say--" 

"Wait." He pleaded, grabbing my hands tightly.

"What, Kai?! If you want to tell me something like "Oh we'll still be good friends" then go ahead! Don't make me wait like this! It's so annoying because I don't even know how you feel! Do you really like me or--"

"I like you!" He shouted. 

My jaw dropped. Did I hear correctly? Did Kai, Kim Jongin, say that he liked me? 

"Will you be my girlfriend?" 

I could feel happy tears build up in my eyes. Biting my lower lip, I nodded happily. Kai pulled me into a giant, tight bear hug and whispered,

"Thank you for accepting and forgiving me, Minae."

I looked up at Kai and smiled brightly. Without saying a word, he leaned in and pressed his lips against mines. We shared a passionate and romantic kiss that I will remember for the rest of my life. 

"I say that I dislike you, but I really, really love you." 

~~

Kai is, inevitably, the future heir of an extremely rich and famous company, so the only way to continue being his girlfriend is to go back to society. I still remember stuffing my luggage with my endless amounts of sundresses and giving my cozy cottage a silent goodbye. I secretly regretted leaving my island paradise and going back to a life of luxury, but I knew that I'd be okay as long as Kai is with me. I also remember climbing onto the private jet with Baekhyun, Sehun, and Kai, zooming off back to my "homeland"...

Seoul, Korea.

I traded in my comfortable sundresses for a classy, chic black mini dress and my sandals for a pair of slightly uncomfortable heels. Since I was still a disowned heiress, I decided, with my aunt's help, to buy my own mansion. Kai would often come over and spend the night with me. One morning, I caught something interesting in the morning paper and the local gossip magazines...

"Former Heo Heiress Makes a Return!" 

"Ex-heiress Minae Seen On Romantic Date With Kai!" 

I smirked slightly at the headlines. In the middle of reading, I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist. 

"Good morning, beautiful. What are you looking at?" Kai whispered into my ear. 

"Mmm...nothing. Just articles about me." I replied casually as he pressed a kiss on my neck. 

"Are they making bad rumors about you? If they are..." He began. 

"Don't worry, sweetheart. They're not." I chuckled slightly. 

I turned around and wrapped my arms around his neck. Staring into his chocolate brown eyes, I muttered,

"Who cares what they say? As long as we have each other, it doesn't matter if the world goes against us."

Author's Note

And then Minae became Ms. KIM Minae. HEHEHE. Just kidding~ but if you think she will, then let your imagination run wild! :D Oh! And I (unintentionally) found Minae's theme song. It's Marina and the Diamonds - Primadonna. xD It just fits her so well. Anyway, I'm sorry for taking so long to write and post this. Summer makes me a lazy person. OTL I hope you all enjoyed reading Kai's ending. Baekhyun's (my bias <333) ending will be out tomorrow! Time for pictures~

Can you guess which scenes these two pictures are from? :)