The Heiress and the Skaters

In The Summer ☼

"We'll still have the summer after all..."

My dark brown eyes stared at the ceiling, turning to glance around the room. Sunlight was flooding into through the flimsy, white curtains. I sat up and stretched my arms, fixing a loose, dress strap that was falling off of my shoulder. Here on my island, summer seems to be the only season. Although there were a few occasional rains here and there, it was almost sunny 365 days a year. Letting out a contented sigh, I got out of bed and went into my bathroom. I took a quick shower before brushing my teeth and combing out my unruly, dyed light brown hair. I pulled it into a loose braid and went to pick out my outfit of the day. Opening my moderately sized closet, I immediately took out a strapless, flower-patterned sundress. I put it on and slipped on a pair of black sandals. I was ready to head out to the beach. Ring ring! I looked over to the phone that was resting on my bedside table. I picked it up,

"Hello?" 

"Good morning, Minae! How are you? You have enough food, right?" It was my auntie. Every few weeks, she would call me to make sure I was all right. I was grateful to have a relative like her. If she weren’t here, I would've been forced to beg for my food. How disgraceful. 

"Good morning. I'm good. I just woke up and I was about to head out to the beach. Um...I think I have enough food to last for a week or so." I replied, twirling the end of my braid nonchalantly. 

"I'll have one of my people deliver food to you before Sunday. Don't forget to eat breakfast before heading out! I have a business meeting to attend to, so I'll be cutting this conversation short. If you ever have any trouble, don't hesitate to call me, okay?" She said. 

"Yeah, thanks. I will." I stifled a yawn. I was dying to leave my house and get some fresh air. 

"Alright. Bye, sweetheart!" 

I muttered a quick "bye" before my auntie hung up. I lightly tossed the phone onto my bed and grabbed a pair of sunglasses before leaving my room. I went down the creaky, wooden stairs and made my way into the old kitchen. Searching through the wooden cabinets, I settled with a chocolate-covered granola bar. I wasn't very hungry anyway. Peeling the colorful wrapper off, I pushed my front door open and went outside. The weather, as usual, was perfect. It was rather warm and sunny, but a slight breeze prevented it from becoming humid. The last thing I wanted was a blazing hot sun pounding down on me and giving me an unwanted tan. I stared at my house for a bit. A simple and cozy, white, wooden cottage that was located near the beach. You'd think that a former heiress would want to continue her wealthy lifestyle in some way, but I've grown sick of large mansions. I'm not saying that I have to work hard though. One call to my auntie and all of my problems would be solved. I didn't even need to wash my own laundry! I threw the empty granola wrapper away. Breakfast time is over; now it's time to relax. 

~☼~

I took off my sandals before stepping onto the beach. A comforting feeling washed over me as my feet sunk slightly into the warm, clean sand. I walked over to the white beach chair that was located underneath a leafy palm tree. Breathing in the salty air, I admired the limpid ocean before me, white foam gathering slightly as the small waves hit the ground. Slipping on my sunglasses, I settled into the chair and closed my eyes. I allowed the melodic sounds of the ocean sing me to sleep...

...

My eyes shot open. I was almost into dreamland when I heard some strange sounds beating against the street above the beach. I turned my head and was greeted by the brief sight of three skateboards whizzing by. Their wheels were making some rather irritating noises against the concrete pavement. I bit my lower lip, feeling anger boil in my stomach. This was a private island! How did these rowdy skateboarders get here? This island was almost in the middle of nowhere after all! I got out of my seat and stormed over to them as quickly as possible, not bothering to put my sandals back on or take off my sunglasses. 

"You! Stop!" I ordered. Much to my dismay, my command came out rather pathetically. 

Soon, I found myself surrounded by three, handsome young men. I folded my arms, giving each of them a poisonous glare. They all stopped and picked up their skateboards, giving me curious stares. One of them even took off his sunglasses to look me up and down. He had tousled, dark brown hair and slightly tanned skin. I snapped when I noticed that his eyes were resting on my chest area. I aggressively shoved him, making him lean back a few centimeters. I wanted him to fall over, for goodness sakes! 

"ert! How dare you!" I shouted. 

"I have a name, you know? I'm Kim Jongin, but call me Kai." The ert introduced himself, a smirk playing on his lips. 

"I don't care who you are! Why are you and your posse on my private island?!" I questioned, jabbing a finger into his chest. 

"This is a private island?" One of the ert's friends spoke up. I whipped my head to the side, tossing a glare at him. He had curly, brown hair and a soft, rather innocent face. I wasn't fooled by his appearance though. I'm sure he's as bad as his leader. 

"Yes! It is a private island. It's owned by Heo Eunjung, a famous--" My reply was cut off by Kai. 

"She's the one who sent us here. She told us that you, her niece, wouldn't mind having some visitors." 

"But--!"

"Your aunt has a business meeting right? Well, it happened to be a meeting with our fathers. We didn't have anywhere to go, and we didn't want to attend that stupid meeting, so she sent us here." Kai explained, a smug look on his face. 

I became silent, unsure of how to reply. I couldn't believe that my aunt did this without telling me! Has she gone insane? I was stuck on an island with three males! One girl plus three boys...who knows what could happen?! Worst case scenarios aside, they did seem like a group of normal, rich people who liked skateboarding, but I'm not even sure anymore. I clenched my fists tightly, glaring at the ground as if it was the one at fault. Suddenly, I felt a finger under my chin, forcing me to look up. It was, of course, Kai. He tilted his head slightly before pulling my sunglasses off. I looked to the side, refusing to meet eyes with him. A gasp of realization came from one of his friends. 

"Aren't you the disowned heiress of the Heo family?!" Kai's other friend shouted. This one had brown hair with a few, unnoticeable light brown streaks. He had a delicate, almost fragile face.

"I prefer not to speak about my past." I sneered at him.  

Kai let go of my chin and smirked at me. Letting out an exasperated sigh, I snatched my sunglasses out of his grasp before placing them back on. I had to keep my cool. No matter how much I wanted to rip their throats out, I couldn't blow up in front of them. The last thing I wanted was to throw my pride out the window and give them what they want. 

"This is Sehun and Baekhyun." Kai gestured respectively to the curly haired boy and the brown haired boy. Then he bowed slightly before continuing,

"It's nice meeting you, heiress.

He's mocking me. That jerk is absolutely mocking me! I was ready to dislocate his jaw any second. Gritting my teeth, I inhaled slightly before attempting to speak as calmly as possible. 

"Okay, Kai. Why were you ogling at my chest earlier then, hm? Shouldn't you have some respect for an heiress? What am I to you? A cheap ?" I could hear my voice rising slightly as I finished asking the last question. 

"I thought you were hot at first, but then you opened your mouth..." 

Snickering loudly, Sehun gave Kai a quick high-five. That's it. Screw pride. They were about to get exactly what they deserved. I balled my hand up into a fist and threw a punch at Kai. Unfortunately, he grabbed my fist before it could make any contact with his face. Kai leaned in close. I could almost smell his expensive cologne. 

"Careful, girl. We don't want you injuring those pretty fingers of yours." 

I gave him a sweet, innocent smile before kicking his shin...hard. 

"Argh!" Kai let go of my hand and leaned down to grasp his throbbing knee. I could see his face contort at the immense pain. I bent down, making sure we were at eye level. 

"I have a name too, you know? I'm Heo Minae, and next time you piss me off, I'll be sure to kick you in an even more painful place."

I smirked before strutting away from the three boys. I guess my day of relaxation at the beach was ruined, but I did get the satisfaction of seeing a bastard in pain. This day couldn't get any better. 

~☼~

I was right. This day didn't get any better. In fact, it got even worse than before. That night, I received a rather distressing phone call from my auntie. Her announcement, to say the least, was enough to make me want to rip my hair out. 

"What?!" I exclaimed, or better yet, screamed into the phone.

"You heard me, Minae. Those boys will be staying on your island for a few days. " My aunt repeated. 

"Why?!" 

"Some problems turned up at the meeting so we have to take a sudden business trip. The boys have no form of transportation back home." She explained.

"But--"

"There is no other way."

I rudely hung up without saying a goodbye. Tossing myself onto my bed, I buried my face in my pillow and made an unattractive, frustrating noise. I slammed my phone onto the nightstand and let out a deep sigh. As if one day with those rowdy heirs weren't enough. Now I had to stay with them even longer! I closed my eyes, bidding the comfort of sleep to take over me. I was startled awake rudely by the sound of tapping on my open window. I turned my head and almost let out a blood-curdling shriek. A certain tanned boy was standing right there, a smirk on his face.

"Sweet dreams, neighbor.

A deep chuckle and the sound of skateboard wheels was the last thing I heard. I buried my face in my soft pillow, wishing that my burning cheeks of embarrassment would cool down. Groping around the walls to find the switch, I turned the lights off and let darkness engulf me. Maybe this was all a bad dream and I'll wake up to a better day tomorrow.

~☼~

A bad dream? More like a bad reality. Instead of waking up to the sounds of birds or the bright sunlight, I was greeted by the cheery voices of three, very annoying males. 

"Oh Minae! Wake up!" A singsong voice chirped.

"I could see some drool on the side of your lips." Someone snickered.

"You're so lady-like." A voice teased with a lace of sarcasm.

My eyes shot open, followed by an ear-piercing scream. Note to self: close windows and find better curtains. I watched and clenched my fists as the three stooges skateboarded away laughing. Grumbling to myself, I sat up from my bed and ran a hand through my tangled hair. Another day has begun; I dragged myself through my usual routine before getting out of my house. I've made a final decision. If I couldn't fight the enemies, the best I could do was try to befriend them. I wandered around the island, wondering where those idiots could've gone. Although I secretly hoped they had drowned in the ocean, I didn't want to be responsible for any heir's death. I plastered a fake smile on my face when I heard the familiar sounds of skateboard wheels. It disappeared immediately when I was greeted by a shirtless Kai with jeans, a pair of tennis shoes, and the Calvin Klein elastic band of his underwear. Behind him was a less exposed Baekhyun, who donned a graphic tee, white shorts, and a pair of high-top converses. Of course, they both had their signature sunglasses on. I quietly pondered where the third musketeer went as Kai made his way over to me.

"Why, good morning, Minae." 

"Good morning." I smiled slightly.

"You've definitely became a beauty...after being that beast from a few hours ago." Kai commented. A smirk? It wouldn't be him without one. 

"I won't argue with you, Kai. Considering the fact that we're stuck with each other for the next few days, I want to spend it peacefully and not at war with you three." I folded my arms. I said that I wanted to befriend them, but this is becoming more of a contract or an agreement than a befriending. 

"Oh? Calling a truce already?" Kai said.

"Yes. The rest will depend on you." 

Kai opened his mouth, but was suddenly interrupted by Baekhyun. He skateboarded a little closer so that he was right next to Kai. He gave me a surprisingly genuine and bright smile,

"Deal."

"Byun Baek--" Kai began. 

"Besides, we need to get Minae out of this uptight lifestyle she's living. She obviously hasn't felt the freedom of a skateboarder." A mischievous smile replaced his previous one. 

I knew it was too good to be true.

~☼~

The sun was bright and the wind was cool; perfect weather for lounging carelessly at the beach. Instead, I'm stuck in a white t-shirt, jean shorts, and a pair of tennis shoes while struggling to balance myself on a skateboard. There definitely was no escaping now: those three stooges are going to teach me how to skateboard. This environment was unsafe for such sports, in my opinion. The terrain was rocky, and even if there were some paved roads, they weren't the smoothest ones. In more simple terms, if I fell off, I would be scratched up badly. I got off the skateboard before placing on a helmet and elbow and kneepads. I knew that this gear would at least protect me from dying or breaking several bones. I jumped a little when I heard a voice from behind me,

"You're all set! Perfect."

I turned around and I saw Kai, Baekhyun, and Sehun strolling towards me, their own skateboard under each boy's arm. I had to admit, in comparison to me, they looked pretty darn cool. Sehun smirked and commented,

"You're cute when you aren't screaming your face off." 

I frowned deeply. I'd rather not re-live the events that happened not so long ago. Kai clapped his hands and announced,

"Alright! Let's get started, shall we? Minae, what's your dominant foot?" 

"My right one...?" I answered.

"Okay. Get on the board. I'll teach you the right way to stand on it."

I gulped. Today was going to be a long, long day. Kai stood next to me and held his arm out. Unfortunately, I thought he was going to push me, so I instinctively flinched. I'm surprised that I didn't fall off from that sudden action. 

"Hold onto my arm just in case you fall." He instructed.

I held onto him, hoping that I wasn't clinging to him for dear life. The last thing I wanted was to give off the aura of fear around my new "friend". He pointed to my two feet, which were standing close to each other on the middle of the board.

"Put your right foot on the back of the board, and the left on the front." 

I did as he told. 

"Good. Okay. Now, put your right foot down on the pavement and push yourself. Like this." Kai removed his arm away from me carefully before using his own skateboard to demonstrate. I nodded to show that I understood.

Exhaling, I shakily placed my right foot down and began pushing myself lightly. I didn't gain enough speed to actually skateboard, but I was still proud at my own little success. Kai smiled slightly before continuing,

"Alright. Increase the speed. Push a little harder. Once you've gotten enough speed, put your right foot back onto the board and you'll be somewhat skateboarding. In order to stop, you can just place your right foot onto the ground and drag it." 

So far, it didn't seem quite too hard. Now all I needed was to pray to the skateboard gods that I don't fall. I pushed myself to a speed that wasn't too slow or too fast and quickly placed my foot back onto the board. I was grinning to myself as I cruised along the road. I raised my arms into the air, shouting,

"I'm skateboarding! I'm--" 

Stupid me didn't look out to where I was going, so I went colliding into a random bush. Once again, I felt my face turn pink in embarrassment over the sounds of snickering from behind me. A strong hand pulled me out and I heard Baekhyun say,

"You did a good job today, Minae." 

"But you should watch the experts do it." Sehun smiled brightly. 

~☼~

The three boys led me over to the side of island that I rarely went to. I was surprised that they even knew it so well, considering how they've only been here for a short period of time. I was absolutely shocked at the sight of an almost broken down skate park. I turned to Baekhyun and asked,

"How did you...?"

"They dropped us off here via helicopter. There's more to this island than just the beach, you know?" He winked at me playfully before placing his board down and skating off to catch up with the others. 

I walked over to an old, wooden bench and sat down, watching in awe as the boys did several skateboard flips in preparation for the show to come. I thought they would've gone to the half pipe ramp first, but instead, they went over to a bunch of metal rails that were cemented onto the ground. Kai somehow magically jumped onto the railing and skated across it sideways. Baekhyun and Sehun soon followed behind him. They skateboarded around the obstacles before returning to the half pipe. They climbed up a metal ladder that led to the top of the ramp. Even for a skateboard newbie like me, I could tell that things were going to get interesting. Sehun started first. I stared in anticipation as he went over the edge and flew (metaphorically) over to the other side of the ramp, ending it with a little flip in the air. I unconsciously began clapping at his amazing feat. Sehun's eyes twinkled as he waved childishly at me, a large contradiction to his skateboarder persona. Kai went next. He speeded down the ramp and did a sudden flip right in the middle. My eyes widened at the awesome sight. In comparison to them, my little achievement today was practically nothing! Baekhyun was the last to go. I've always thought that Kai was the most talented out of all three of them, but I was proven wrong. Baekhyun did a similar trick to Kai's, but instead of doing one flip, he did multiple ones in a row. For someone who had such a cute face, no one would have guessed that he was a talented skateboarder. For some strange reason, I felt a smile begin to form on my face. They may be heirs, but they were different from the ones that I usually meet. 

~☼~

"Alright, boys. We've spent half of this day embracing "skateboarder freedom", but now it's back to my ways. I'll be showing you the freedom of an heiress." I smirked. 

After they were done having fun at the skate park, I invited them back to my home for lunch. This was rather strange for me. One day, they were my enemies, and now we're acting like we've been friends since forever. I never knew how much could change in such a short period of time. Sehun pouted at my statement before asking,

"Aw man! Does that mean we have to wear those dresses that you have?!" 

A laugh came out of me, followed by the contagious guffaws of Kai and Baekhyun. Only Sehun continued to pout...I guess he was completely serious about that question. I patted his head while saying,

"No, you don't have to wear it. My freedom is simple, really. Just go to the beach and have fun!" 

"Sounds like a good idea to me." Kai commented with a casual shrug. 

"Finish quickly then! I want to get there before sunset." I smiled widely at them. 

~☼~

Before leaving together, I decided to change out of my skateboarding outfit and into a baby blue bikini. I wore a translucent, white dress over my swimsuit and slipped on a pair of dark blue sandals. Taking a quick glance at the clock, I picked up my oversized bag and dashed out of my house to meet up with the boys at the beach. When I arrived, a multi-colored umbrella was already set up and I could see the clothed backs of Sehun and Baekhyun. The only one without a shirt on was Kai, which wasn't unusual at all. I waved and shouted,

"Hi!"

All three of them turned at the same time, and I could see them (mostly Kai) ogling at me exactly like the first time we met. Feeling slightly self-conscious, I crossed my arms over my chest before walking over to the umbrella. Kai smirked at me and asked,

"Just out of curiosity, what are you wearing under the dress?" 

"A bikini. ...Why?" I replied cautiously. 

I swear to god they looked like a group of lions drooling over their prey. I pushed Kai aside before I ran towards the water. Smiling mischievously, I turned to them and shouted,

"I'm not going to take it off unless if you catch me!" 

Soon, three, obscenely handsome boys were chasing me down the beach. I'm sure that this would be any girl's ideal dream, but in this case, my purity was on the line and I was probably saving myself from a rather disturbing experience. The cool, light blue, limpid water felt amazing around my feet. I didn't hesitate in immersing myself completely, opening my eyes to the sight of colorful, exotic fish and coral. My expedition was cut short by a pair of arms pulling me out.

"Got you!" Baekhyun exclaimed.

I let out a happy laugh as he spun me around. I absolutely loved this feeling of being like a child again. However, it also triggered the past memories of my dad, my biological mom, and I having the same kind of fun at the beach. Without noticing, I let the smile slip away from my face as I drowned in my nostalgic thoughts. Fortunately, a worried Sehun immediately snapped me out of my trance. He took my cheeks into his hands and muttered,

"Minae? Are you okay?" 

"Huh?! Oh...uh. Yeah. I'm fine." I gave him a weak smile. 

"We're friends, aren't we? Tell us." Kai said.

I was hesitant. I've never been that comfortable speaking about my past, but...

I've decided. I decided that I’d have to let this all out eventually, because if I didn't, I would literally explode. Letting out a slight sigh, I said,

"I've always been at this beach alone. The last time I went with someone was when I was with my biological parents. I remember being extremely happy that day. I felt that nothing would be able to bring me down..." 

The boys continued staring at me, bidding me to continue.

"You guys, you three idiots... You don't know how much happiness you guys brought me today. I thought that living in paradise alone would bring me joy, but I guess....I guess not. I really can't thank you enough. Thank you for spending today with me. It's one of the happiest days of my life." I beamed at them. 

They were in complete silence. I wasn't sure if they were shocked by my somewhat emotional speech, or if they were just spacing out. Suddenly, I got crushed in a giant group hug. Kai smiled at me and said,

"No need to thank us. Believe it or not, we're glad to bring happiness to a bitter heiress like you." 

"Bitter?!" I shouted, frowning slightly.

"Consider that payback for calling us idiots." Baekhyun chuckled. 

"That's lame, you guys. This is payback!" I exclaimed.

I shoved Sehun and Kai into the water as they were caught off guard. Before they could react, I swam away quickly, hoping that they wouldn't catch me. I continued my expedition from earlier, twirling along with the fish. Looking to the side, I was surprised to see Baekhyun right next to me. His hand was outstretched, telling me to hold it. I grabbed it without a second thought, pulling him through the endless bliss known as the sea. 

~☼~

It was evening time, when the blazing orange sun was slowly descending into the water. Kai, Baekhyun, Sehun, and I were all sitting on my giant hammock, watching the beautiful sight before us. It was the second time that I've watched a sunset with other people, and it felt extremely special to me. The peaceful moment was interrupted when my phone began ringing loudly in my bag,

"Every every everyday, naega mandeun history!"

I picked up the phone, placing it to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Minae! I've got great news for you."

"What is it, auntie?" I asked.

"Those heirs will be able to leave your island by tomorrow!"

"What?!" 

Author's Note:
 
Mehehehehe. What a long oneshot, eh? I'm still deciding whether or not I should include a short epilogue before I split off into the alternate endings. Anyway, I hope everyone enjoyed reading it. Comments and subscribers are appreciated! :) Oh and uh...I'll give you two pictures to visualize how living with Baekhyun, Sehun, and Kai on an island would be like.
 
 
 
(Can you guess which scene the above ^ picture was from??? It's pretty obvious! :D)