Lukewarm reception

Precious Three Months

The next week, school returned. Woo Young had just finished texting to Seulong when he saw Jiyeon enter the room.

"Hey, yo Jiyeonnie! Wazzup?"

"Annyeong hasaeyo, Oppa," Jiyeon sullenly said as she gave a slight bow before sitting down on her chair. She then opend her notebook and began jotting down notes. Woo Young wondered why the usually jolly and noisy Jiyeon had become silent. So, he stood up and grabbed Hwa Young's chair (she hasn't arrived yet) and began to sit near Jiyeon.

"Wae? You don't look like our Jiyeonnie here."

"I'm still Jiyeon, Oppa."

"Oh, by the way, Seulong and I were exchanging text messages recently. He thought he saw you in Seoul last week."

Jiyeon gave Woo Young a flash glance, then looked back at her notebook. "Ani...I did go to Seoul, but I never saw them," she lied. But Woo Young didn't buy her answer. He saw through Jiyeon that she had indeed seen Seulong...and Jin Woon.

"Something happened, right?" he asked. But Jiyeon just looked at him.

"Come on now, Jiyeon, I knew something happened. What is it? You can trust me."

"Mianhe, Oppa, but I don't think I should trust you idols now," Jiyeon said as she stood up and went out of the room. Woo Young stood up and followed her to the library.

***

"Jiyeon, I was hurt when you said you'll never trust us. What have we done to you?"

Woo Young and Jiyeon had opted to be at the rooftop instead of the library. Classes doesn't start till at 730am, and it was still seven in the morning.

Jiyeon played with her fingers, gathering her thoughts how to explain to Woo Young how she felt. Suddenly, she wanted to ask him something.

"Oppa, why did you give me Jin Woon Oppa's number?"

"You really guessed it was me, huh? Well...he told me to give it to you, that's why."

"And do you know his reason?"

"You know what Jiyeon, he fell in love with you the first time he saw you."

"That's a lie." Jiyeon said, her hands forming a fist. There was bitterness in her voice that Woo Young had found odd.

"Lie? But he kept looking at you when you came in Eun Jung Noona's house. According to his friends too, the only other girl that had caught Jin Woon's eyes was Seo Hyun."

Seo Hyun: she was the girl who was with Jin Woon during the photoshoot.

"Were they in a relationship?"

Woo Young squinted his eyes and moved to look at Jiyeon's face. "Jealous?"

"Ani.."

"Well.." Woo Young said as he leaned on the wall again. "Jin Woon only said that Seo Hyun was his ideal girl. I didn't know if he courted her or if he had previous girlfriends. But he's single now, you know. By the way, why the curiosity?"

"None...that's why I was asking why he gave me his number."

"You can't lie to me, Jiyeon. I know some girls who can mask their emotions properly, but you're one who doesn't know how to hide how you feel no matter how hard you try to deny it."

Silence ensues as Jiyeon sighed and crossed her legs.

"I saw them doing a photoshoot for a clothing line last week after I visited the school I planned to go to next year. Eonnie and Oppa were partners for that shoot. I overheard some students saying that they looked good together. Of course, as a fan, I know I should feel happy for them. But...I was jealous."

Woo Young smirked. Feeling of jealousy...Jiyeon's feeling is not a love of a fan. It's something else.

"And then, I tried to call him, only for her to answer."

"Mwoh? Why did Seo Hyun answer his phone?"

"Molla. But then, I dropped the call because I was so frightened. A few seconds later, Oppa dialled my number and called me. When I introduced myself, he said he didn't recognize me. So I apologized as I passed right in front of him, hoping that he'll recognize me. But as I turned my back again after hanging the call, he didn't look my way. So I walked away."

"That's right, because Seulong Hyung said that after Jin Woon dropped the call, he told him he thought he saw you. Jin Woon even told him that you called and he said he didn't know you. Hyung called him an idiot and told him you were the girl in Cheongsong. That's when he suddenly started to run and chase you in the crowd, but you were lost."

"Geurae? But then again, Oppa, I think I should just stop there and be just a fan...just a fan...I'll erase his number so that I won't be tempted to call him." Jiyeon said as she took her cellphone from her pocket. Woo Young watched her as she erased Jin Woon's number for good.

"If that's what you should do, you might as well throw the paper I gave you." Woo Young said to trap Jiyeon.

"I'll throw it later and tell Eun Jung Eonnie that I had accepted something from an idol." Jiyeon indeed wasn't bluffing, Woo Young thought.

"Now, now Jiyeon..there's no need to overdo it. You could just throw the paper, but don't throw yourself to the pit!"

"Mianhe, Oppa, but I'm one to really do what's on my mind." Jiyeon said as she took the paper from her purse and tore it to pieces. She planned to throw the trash later in the trash bin as there was none nearby. Standing up, she headed for the door, then she looked back to Woo Young.

"Sometimes, Oppa, I think I was just too lovesick for Jin Woon Oppa. Now I know what a fool I have been. We better get back to class. It's five minutes till 7:30."