- two

Freeze

 

CHAPTER 2 

It wasn’t even feel like a few hours of sleep, Suyeon felt herself waking up. Junhyung has a very early schedule today and she needed to cook breakfast for him. Although no one had asked her, she’s been doing the cooking for the members since before she had lived with them, Gikwang would always complain about the food in the dorm, and how they would just eat instant noodles, or anything instant food.

Suyeon knows that Junhyung is probably the most hostile one to her. But she really tries her best to be accepted by them. Not that she only wanted to put her best foot forward, but she knew that Gikwang considers each of everyone of them as his own brothers. If they hate her, if they couldn’t accept her, Gikwang would have a hard time. And she didn’t want that.

Making breakfast for Junhyung is not really a big deal for Suyeon. She always wakes up early to make sure Gikwang eats breakfast before running to whatever schedule he has for the day. During the times they’d had individual schedules, Suyeon would still get early for whomever who has early schedule.

Suyeon opened her eyes in the dark. From Gikwang’s glow in the dark watch, Suyeon knew she have time to prepare and get back to bed without Junhyung even knowing it was her who had made food. It was only 4am.

From the white board by the hallway, the member’s schedule were all posted, so she knew Junhyung must be up at exactly 5:30 am to be able to make it on his 7am schedule.

Carefully and with utmost discretion, she lifted Gikwang’s arm that holds her tightly around her chest. Gikwang would always sleep this way; he likes it that his bed is always cramped. He says feeling that someone is beside him, or that feeling of he’s holding someone, makes it warm and pleasant to sleep. That’s why before Suyeon had moved; his bed would always be full of stuffed toys given by fans. It doesn’t matter if it was given to him or to other members; he just needs those stuffed animals to make his bed feel cramped.

“Where are you going?” Gikwang said in slurred words, obviously still half asleep. Suyeon stopped her movements. She knows that Gikwang won’t let her get up once he wakes up. So, she waited for a few seconds before his breathing came even again. When she attempted the second time, he felt Gikwang’s arms around her tighten.

“Don’t go.” He mumbled against the back of her head.

She turned her body around, so that she’d be facing his chest. When she did, she felt him sighed contently, pressing her tightly against his body. Suyeon reached her arms around him, pulled herself  up a little, so that their faces are at level.

“Sleep more, Kwangie,” she whispered as she lightly kissed him on the lips.

That seemed to work well, because his grip on her relaxed.

She decided to count to 20 while she draws circles on his back, trying to put Gikwang deeper in his sleep. When she tried to move a little, and he didn’t protest anymore, she took this chance and crawled out of the bunk bed.

After briefly washing up her face, she started her work. He knew that Junhyung is the least to do work in the dorm, especially when it comes to feeding himself. Gikwang told her, there were even times that Junhyung wouldn’t eat proper meals because he’d rather stay in bed, rest and sleep, than to use up his remaining energy to cook, even if it’s just an instant noodles.

For about half an hour, Suyeon busied herself with cooking rice, vegetables, side dishes, the kimchi jigae that the members like the most, and even cut some fruits for him. She couldn’t deny that she’s trying to win Junhyung’s heart, because he’s the one she’s most uncomfortable with. She thought maybe if Junhyung would at least be civil to her, the other members wouldn’t bully her so much.

Just as she was done setting up the table, Junhyung stepped out of the room. He halted his step, obviously a little surprised to see someone awake ahead of him.

For a couple of minutes, Suyeon and Junhyung eyed each other awkwardly. Until she couldn’t hold it any longer, she cleared her voice.

“You should have breakfast before going,” she said as she clumsily made her way back to the room, where the others are still fast asleep.

Junhyung couldn’t deny the heavenly smell. But he didn’t want to give in to her yet. He still didn’t like that Suyeon is receiving so many favours, when his own girlfriend is secretly treated like a plague by his company. While he was strictly instructed not to be seen with her, making sure Beast and Kara wouldn’t share any schedule, Suyeon here was receiving so much protection and even let her live with Gikwang.

“Are you stupid?” Junhyung said, just before Suyeon turned the knob. She stopped her movements.

“Are you just ignorant or plain stupid? You have no right to waste the dorm’s food. Don’t you have any sense at all to know that all of us need to keep our diet? Stop sabotaging and just get out of our way.”

Suyeon swallowed hard. She felt like bile had come up .

“Sorry,” she mumbled before scurrying off towards the room.

Once she was safe and concealed from Junhyung’s judging and mean presence, she clutched her chest and shut her eyes tightly in the dark. She felt so…. Degraded. But mostly, she felt like a huge burden to everyone, not just Gikwang, but to everyone.

She felt her way inside the room until she felt Gikwang’s bed. As the very much familiar feeling of strong sadness and rejection swallowing her whole, she crawled back towards Gikwang’s arms, where she can feel safe and wanted again.

As soon as she was enveloped again in his arms, she can’t help shed a few tears. Is she really that spiteful?

“Hey,”

She paused her breathing. Gikwang knows she’s having a hard time adjusting with the guys, even if it’s almost a month already. And for that past month, he’s always making sure that he makes her feel comfortable. And Suyeon, crying because of how much she wanted to go home, and how much the members kept on bullying her, wouldn’t do good on his part.

She immediately buried her tear stained cheeks on his chest, so he wouldn’t see it, despite the darkness.

“Are you crying?” He asked, his voice hoarse and low, but she can tell he’s wide awake, worried. She shook her against his chest, but didn’t say anything. She knows her voice would give it away.

She swallowed hard, hoping he’d just go back to sleep.

She gripped his shirt tightly and pushed herself towards him. He seemed to feel this and held her just as tightly, thinking she just had another nightmare.

“Go back to sleep,” he said as he kissed her forehead.

-

Suyeon woke up and found Gikwang gone beside her. The sun is already high up, and the wall clock it says it’s almost noon already. This made her shoot up abruptly. She needs to cook lunch for the members. She tried racking her memory for the members who supposedly doesn’t have schedule today.

Dongwoon, Doojoon and Hyunseung. She sighed; at least Dongwoon would be there. She doesn’t really get well along with Doojoon; always side hinting at how he feels uneasy with a stranger inside the dorm. Hyunseung, well, he just likes putting up more troubles for Suyeon. He’d purposely leave things behind, spill things; scatter dirty clothes and whatnot, because he knows she’d have enough sense to put them away properly.

When she stepped out of the room, she found Doojoon sprawled on the living room, sleeping. Hyunseung was just about to leave the house.

“Yah, Dongwoon-ah, I’ll go now,” Hyunseung said, he didn’t even noticed Suyeon who just came out of the room.

“Oh, noona! Come, eat lunch with me!” He called her, waving his arms, motioning her towards the table.

“Did you cook these?” He asked, getting rice from the rice cooker.

Suyeon felt her heart sank. So Junhyung didn’t really touch the food. She noticed they were heated. Maybe their manager or Gikwang had put them inside the fridge so it won’t get spoiled.

She nodded.

“I hope you didn’t mind I started eating without you. Gikwang hyung told me not to wake you up. And just let you sleep.” He continued talking.

You turned your head towards Doojoon.

“Aren’t we supposed to wake him up? To have lunch too?” She asked. Dongwoon turned too to looked at their leader.

“Well…. Okay. Please wake him up, noona.” Dongwoon said as he went back to his seat.

Suyeon her lips nervously. Waking up Doojoon is not one of the most favourite things for her. She knows that he might just end up having a bad day because it was Suyeon he has seen the moment he wakes up.

True enough, he was in a very sour mood the rest of the day. Suyeon was hoping that he’d just go out like Hyunseung, but he did not. He was just keeping a deathly glare at her. She felt his piercing stares against her back when she started washing the dishes and clearing the leftover food. And just to keep her busy, she even took all the trash down. Doing all of these just to avoid Doojoon’s eyes.

But of course, she needs to come back.

As she was rearranging and dusting the shoes by the doorway, Doojoon and Dongwoon were having a quiet conversation by the living room.

“Hyung, don’t stare at noona like that. You’re scaring her,” Dongwoon said. Both of their eyes were glued on their huge flat screen TV.

Doojoon merely scoffed.

“You know that her staying here is unfair, Dongwoon.” Doojoon said nonchalantly. They’ve discussed this lot of times already, but as days passed by, they all noticed that Dongwoon was starting to take Suyeon’s side.

“Hyung,” Dongwoon turned to look at him. “You know how our manager hyungs are always rational. If they think Gikwang hyung is asking this merely for his own sake, you know they wouldn’t let him.”

Doojoon kept quiet. He knew this very well too. But whatever, it’s like they’re letting Gikwang openly date and it’s perfectly fine with them. If their fans found about their situation, the damage would be beyond reparable. Not to mention what would their family and friends would think of them, 6 boys and they’re keeping 1 young woman in their dorm.

When Suyeon came back from the foyer, she quietly went towards the shower room. After a couple of minutes, they heard scrubbing against the tiles and water running.

Dongwoon sighed. This is one thing that he’s most worried about Suyeon. Everyone knows that she feels uncomfortable and unwelcome by them. Only Dongwoon and Gikwang are making huge efforts to at least make her feel at home. But the rest, they’re making sure she feels unwelcome. So, just to make her presence feel a little valued, she’d slave herself cleaning the dorm: cleaning their shower room – which everyone refused to do, doing their laundry regularly – there would be even those times they’d go home from a very tiring schedule and find their bed covers and blankets smelling clean and feeling nice when they lie on it; they all know it’s Suyeon who had them washed, but no one would openly say so, lest thank her. Unknowingly, Suyeon had become their dorm keeper, cleaning for them and cooking for them, but they just keep on treating her badly. Gikwang, of course, didn’t know about these, because out of everyone, he stays out of the dorm the most because of his hectic schedule.

“About time she cleans the shower,” Doojoon smirked.

“Hyung!” Dongwoon raised his voice. He couldn’t understand how Suyeon could keep up to his hyungs’ bullying. And from the looks of it, he could tell she never tell Gikwang, because if she did, Gikwang will break hell loose.

He stood up and stomped his feet.

Doojoon watched him, slightly appalled at the maknae’s sudden rebellion.

“Noona!” He almost shouted as he made his way towards the washroom.

He swung the door open, almost hitting Suyeon who was crouching down, meticulously scrubbing the tiles.

“Oh, Dongwoon-ah. Do you need to use the washroom?” She said, straightening up. She was starting to look like a mess; strands of her hair were starting to fall out of her messy bun, her shirt was sticking already on her back, and beads of sweat are seen on her temples and the side of her face.

“Let me just take this off---“

Without saying anything, Dongwoon pulled her out and dragged her out towards the hallway until they’re halfway the living room and kitchen, where she finally found strength to pull out form his tight grip.

“W-wait! Dongwoon-ah!” She cried. Her pants were damp from cleaning and she still has her cleaning gloves.

She heard Doojoon scoffed at how she looks like. But now is not the time to be worrying about what she looks right now.

“Let’s go out noona!” Dongwoon whined. This made Doojoon looked up. What’s he planning now?

“E-eh? What?” Suyeon was taken back. “I-I can’t. I’m not yet done with the washroom. I still have a lot of things to do.”

“Noona!” He stomped his food again. “No one says you should do them, you know!”

Doojoon’s eyes widened at Dongwoon’s guts. Sure they didn’t tell Suyeon to do all those dreadful chores, but they’re not complaining, because it is honestly one of the only conveniences they get out of her. For a split second, Doojoon felt bad seeing Suyeon, who flashed this shameful looked in her eyes. Dongwoon honestly doesn’t have to rub it on her face.

Doojoon only shook his head, but didn’t say anything else.

“Let’s go out! I’ll treat you!” Dongwoon wailed, throwing his arms in desperation, still completely oblivious of the effect of his words.

“I…” Suyeon turned to look to Doojoon. She knows that the other members will find out about this, and she’s very much afraid of what they will react.

“Let’s go!” Dongwoon pulled her gloves off her and pushed her towards the washroom.

“Wash up and I’ll wait for you.”

-

Suyeon felt a little relaxed. This is the first time she got to go out of the dorm since she moved. That is because Gikwang strictly instructed her not go out unattended. She knows he only means well, and that he’s trying to keep her safe. But what could really happen now, she’s with Dongwoon, and he has been a friend to her for almost a month already.

Dongwoon made sure his face was well covered from sight. But he’s been used to this; covering his face, disguising himself as a normal guy while he go on endless dates with some fans.

He took Suyeon out for an ice cream, and then he dragged her in this ramyun house. Even though Suyeon know the maknae is just craving lots of food, she was having fun trailing behind him.

“Dongwoon-ah. Maybe you shouldn’t eat so much at once. You must look after your diet too,” she said, remembering Junghyung’s words.

But Dongwoon said it’s all perfectly fine. He told her he really wanted to take her out, because he knows Gikwang is always too busy.

Just a few while after the sun had set, Dongwoon received a call.

“Oh, hyung?” He answered his mobile phone while Suyeon sat quietly on the bench by the Han River, the 2nd round of ice cream Dongwoon bought her.

“Now?” Dongwoon asked, glancing a little at Suyeon.

“Eh, okay. But what’s the hurry? I’ll just bring her home and th—“ Dongwoon’s face hardened and stopped abruptly. In the end, he sighed defeated.

“Okay, hyung.”

Dongwoon couldn’t understand why suddenly Hyunseung wanted him to go on this errand. And not to mention, right away. Dongwoon wanted to see Suyeon home safely first, but Hyunseung insisted that he needed Dongwoon right now. And since where Hyunseung was right now is a lot closer to Han River, it would totally be a waste of time if Dongwoon would take Suyeon home first.

“Noona, listen, I need to get to Hyunseung hyung first.” He started. Suyeon looked up thoughtfully.

“Ah, really? Then I can just go home by myself.” She smiled. She noticed him hesitating. “Don’t worry, I’ll be fine.”

But Dongwoon wouldn’t let it go. He knows better than to leave her alone on her own. He looked around; there are a lot of people. If Suyeon is under the eyes of the public, she’d be safe, right? Beside Hyunseung said it would only take a couple of minutes.

“How about you wait for me here? Hyunseung hyung said he’s just in this restaurant 3 blocks from here. It would only really take a few minutes. Then we’ll go home together.” Dongwoon said, offering a little smile.

“Oh, okay. I’ll wait for you here.” Suyeon nodded and motioned for him to go.

Dongwoon turned away from her with a heavy and worrying heart. He would only take a few minutes. He’d be really quick, and before he knows it, he’d be back to Suyeon and that they’ll be going home soon.

So with a half hesitant heart, he pushed these thoughts away.