- three

Freeze

 

Chapter 3

Suyeon clutched her heart in distress. She had just run away from her brothers’ claws. How would she know that they were around the area too? Now she lost them, but she was lost herself. She didn’t know exactly how to go back to Gikwang’s dorm, and there’s no way she’s going back to where Dongwoon told her to wait for him. What if her brothers were there again, waiting for her?

She let herself slide to the ground, still panting, catching her breath.

What was she thinking anyway? That her nightmares and miseries would end just because she run away with Gikwang? She felt a tear rolled down her cheeks.

She shook her head clear. She must not be like this. If Gikwang is willing to save her, then why must she sulk like this? She has him, right? Even if the whole world doesn’t want her anymore, he’s still there for her.

She swallowed every doubt and fear streaming in her veins right now. She must make her way back to the dorm, or else Gikwang might get worried again. She stood up from where she was seated in the dark alley and started walking back to the main road. But just as she was to turn around the corner, someone grabbed her from behind, covered so she can’t scream.

She shut her eyes tightly, afraid of the coming blow. She let out a huff of grunt when her back hit the cold hard bricks. She was back in the dark alley.

That person has his hands tightly over his mouth, and his other arm was pinning her on the wall. She whimpered, trying to release herself. Is she going back to that horrible nightmare again? What could her father do this time to her? After she had successfully ran away for almost a month?

 

Hyunseung was just trying to scare Suyeon. But he was a little surprised at how scared and seriously frightened she is when he came to ‘attack’ her. He loosened his grip on her when he felt her tears running down his hand.

‘Oh .’ He cursed. He looked up from his cap and when Suyeon saw his familiar face, she looked relieved. Like someone who had spared her life from slaughter.

To be honest, Hyunseung saw her running away from a group of guys. He didn’t know who they were, or why she’s running away. He had asked Dongwoon to do him a ‘favor’ because he knew Suyeon must be with him. And he wanted to play a little with her. But before he even got to scare her himself, he saw her running off to one direction with 2 guys running after her.

His eyes soften a little, suddenly remembering his own sister. His first instinct told him it must be her brothers, or maybe some relation? Why would they chase her like that? Or maybe, a bunch of ex-lovers?

Hyunseung smirked.

He felt her relaxed under him despite the tight grip he had on her.

“Let’s go home, huh?” He said.

-

Dongwoon was pacing around the room worriedly. When he went back to where he left Suyeon, she was gone. Everyone was in the living room, waiting for someone, for anyone, to arrive home.

Gikwang have his head buried on his palms, trying to calm himself. He cannot lose Suyeon again. He wanted to get angry at Dongwoon for leaving her, but how can he? Everyday Gikwang himself leaves her by herself.

Junhyung was the first one to walk out of the room. He cursed under his breath. Why would they waste time and energy worrying over someone whom they don’t even care about? If she didn’t come in the dorm in the first place, they wouldn’t have this unnecessary burden on them. Just because she’s a girl, Doojoon, Yoseob and even Dongwoon are having this mandatory responsible looking after her.

Suddenly, they heard the door’s lock beeped open. They all gathered in the entry way as Hyunseung greeted them, followed by Suyeon. Gikwang didn’t even bother greeting back Hyunseung and just dashed straight to his girlfriend.

“Where were you?!” Gikwang asked, relieve and frustration in his voice.

“I was on my way home and I saw her playing with bunch of guys,” Hyunseung shrugged as he kicked his shoes off.

Gikwang tighten his grip on Suyeon. “Is it true?” He asked quietly. She bit her lip.

“But really, Suyeon, who are they?” He suddenly turned to her with an unreadable face, but a smile on his face.

“Ex-boyfriends? You seemed to look like you’re having fun. I’m sorry I have to take you away from them. But you know the others will be worried if you don’t come home in time,” Hyunseung continued.

It left Suyeon speechless. Why is he implying something like that?

“You’re with your friends?” Yoseob asked. She swallowed. Hyunseung gave her a look that scared her.

“..Oh.” She uttered a single sound and nods a little, confirming Hyunseung’s make up story.

She was definitely not playing with a bunch of guys; she was not enjoying herself, and they’re definitely not her friends.

She felt Gikwang’s grip on her relaxed. “Next time tell us when you want to meet with your friends,” He smiled a little and kissed her temples.

She looked at him, does he really believe Hyunseung? She thought. But she only nodded in defeat.

“Have you eaten?” She asked him. Gikwang nodded and wrapped his arms around her, leading her back to the kitchen.

She sighed; at least she’s back in his arms. No need to worry for now, but she can’t help feeling bothered why Hyunseung lied and made her look bad in front of the others.

What do you expect Suyeon, they don’t like you. So it doesn’t matter if you look bad or not. She told herself.

But what really worries her, is that Gikwang believed him, when in fact, he knows Suyeon doesn’t have any male friends or even ex-lovers.

-

Suyeon was preparing lunch for the members, because she knows some of them will be going home from a schedule before proceeding to the practice studio to spend the rest of the day.

The members immediately cheered at the smell of home cooked food. Even Junhyung was set in a good mood because of this. But because of the egoistic nature, they still wouldn’t admit that there are some times those they like her being in their dorm. And one of those times is this.

“Suyeon-ah,” Gikwang called her. The members were heartily eating the food she had prepared. It definitely gave them enough energy for tonight’s practice.

“Yes?” She went to place Gikwang’s refilled bowl of rice in front of him.

“What are you doing, sit beside me and eat too.” He said, pulling her beside him.

“It’s okay.” She immediately stood up. She didn’t really want to upset the other members. “I’ll eat later.” She said in a small voice. She knows how Junhyung doesn’t like to eat together with her. Hyunseung wouldn’t stop picking on her if she’s on the same table with him; he’ll forever taunt her, , even up to the point of verge of tears. Doojoon would just scoff at her, and try to finish his food as fast as he can, and Yoseob would just eat all the food, not even caring if there would be left for her.

Everyone seemed to be eating well that time; she didn’t really want to ruin the moment.

Junhyung glanced up at her; she immediately stiffened and stepped away from Gikwang.

In all honesty, some members slightly remind her of her brothers, or rather step brothers. Back home, she lives with her 4 step brothers who regularly abuse her and treat her like crap. Her father died when she was 12 years old, before she even met Gikwang in middle school, and her mother re-married a somehow rich man. But he has 4 sons from previous marriage. Her eldest step brother, Seungho is 5 years older than her, making him 27 years of age. Out of Beast members, Doojoon reminds her of Seungho the most. He mostly let her younger brothers do the bullying. Second eldest is Byunghee, but her other brothers would call him G.O. but she’s not allowed to call him that. Sometimes, he’d even make her call him Prince Byunghee. Suyeon’s very afraid of him, because he’s really manipulative, which she sees in Hyunseung. The step brother Suyeon’s afraid of the most is Lee Joon. One look from him and she would be send to her room, shivering with fright. She knows that he’s nice and funny with the others, but he’s the one that lays hand on her the most. He had first physically abused her when she was 17. Gikwang was a trainee back then, so he didn’t get to be there for her during those times. And although Junhyung doesn’t really hurt her physically, Lee Joon and Junhyung’s aura were exactly the same. Hostile and dangerous. The youngest brother, who was only a year older than Suyeon, is Mir. He’s the least abusive brother, and would merely watch nonchalantly as the others bully her. The worst she had got from him was when he came home drunk and just said he hated their family so much and blamed her for it. Suyeon was well used to blaming words by that time that she didn’t even feel hurt when Mir told her that. And somehow, Suyeon sees Mir in Yoseob.

“Come with us in the practice studio,” Gikwang said, as you turned your back to them to do wash some dishes.

The other members turned to look at him.

“What? I already told manager hyung, and he said its okay.” Gikwang said defensively.

“Well, she can be of good help there. She can bring us food, or something.” Dongwoon offered. Gikwang nod at him in agreement.

Suyeon spun around and met Junhyung’s eyes again, as if accusing her of planning this all along. She lowered her head.

“Okay, whatever. As long as she doesn’t get in the way,” Doojoon said as he finished up his meal and stood up to prepare his practice bag.

“Oh well, as if we can still say something about it,” Hyunseung shrugged and left too.

Junhyung pounded the table, making you jump, but didn’t say anything else and left.

Yoseob has his elbows propped on the table and sighed.

“Just don’t pack anything heavy,” He directly told her. “As much as possible we should just eat fruits.”

She nodded obediently at him. Gikwang turned to her and reached out. She hesitantly walked to him and let herself be pulled by him.

“Don’t worry, they’ll come around, huh? Just remember, you’re here for your own safety, and also for me, not for them.” Gikwang brushed her hair affectionately before kissing her forehead.

“Hurry eat now. I’ll help you wash the dishes and prepare food for later,” He said as you scooted closer to him, wanting to feel that safety his presence gives you every time.