- one

Freeze

 

CHAPTER 1

 

“I’m home,” Gikwang announced as he stepped in their yet again messed up dorm. Shoes were again scattered and disarrayed by the door way, one could barely walk through it.

“Guys?” Gikwang called as he reached the living room.

As usual, the guys who ended their schedules earlier than him were sprawled across the living room, watching TV leisurely.

“Oh, hyung, you’re home.” Dongwoon called lazily, his eyes never leaving the TV screen.

Doojoon was lying on his side, watching TV with Dongwoon, raised his arm to acknowledge his arrival.

Gikwang was looking around. Something seemed to be off. Or rather someone wasn’t anywhere to be seen. He walked towards the bathroom and knocked. When he turned the knob to check, the door opened and Yoseob stepped out, with only towel wrapped around his waist.

“Oh, Gikwangie, you’re here.” He said, as he shook his wet hair with a towel.

 Gikwang then checked the kitchen, it was already spotless clean, and indicating that the guys had ate their dinner already.

“Have you eaten yet?” Hyunseung suddenly walked by, on his way towards the bathroom to wash up before going to bed.

“Suyeon had left food for you over the table. Just heat it up.” He said as he proceeded to shower.

“Hyung! Where’s---?”

But Hyunseung had closed the door already. He furrowed his eyebrows. By this time, isn’t Suyeon supposed to be welcoming him already? Surely she can’t be in the room, in which obviously there left a half Yoseob and Junhyung who should be in the room also, unless he’s out again to meet Goo Hara.

He decided the room is the only place Suyeon could be. He checked the wall clock again, it’s almost 12 midnight. She should be either in the room asleep already, or….

Yoseob almost jumped at Gikwang’s sudden entrance.

“Yah! At least knock, okay?” Yoseob clutched his chest.

But Gikwang ignored him. Suyeon was not in the room!

Yoseob was just putting on a shirt, and Junhyung was already on his bed, flipping through a magazine, uncaring.

“Where’s Suyeon?” Gikwang asked, panic striking his system. He saw his bed made up, with all the pillows and stuff animals neatly lined up on the side, and his blanket neatly folded by the pillow. Everyone’s blankets are also neatly made. He knew it was Suyeon who had been constantly keeping their place in order for a while.

“Hyung, where’s Suyeon?!” Gikwang asked Junhyung directly when the two tried ignoring him.

“I dunno, okay!” Junhyung glared at him. “And I don’t care.”

“Aish!” Gikwang cried frustratingly and stormed out of the room. Yoseob only shrugged and Junhyung resumed flipping through the magazine.

Yoseob could swear he heard him murmured, “Stupid girl.”

 

“Hyung! Dongwoon! Where’s Suyeon!” Gikwang shouted at the two who were in the living room.

“Eh? She went out.” Dongwoon replied, before turning his attention back to the TV.

“But it’s almost 12 midnight! It’s dangerous outside!” He growled as he hastily went to put back on his sneakers and fished out his mobile phone to call her. But much to his dismay, he heard Suyeon’s ringtone from the bedroom.

He let out another cry of frustration. All he wanted was to go home, see Suyeon and just sleep and finally have some decent rest with her.

Just as he was done tying his shoe laces, he heard the door lock beeped.

“Oh, Gikwangie, you’re home.” Suyeon said, smiling at him who was still seated on the spot.

“Yah! Where did you go!” Gikwang immediately was on his feet, pulled Suyeon to his chest, relieved to see her safe and sound. He felt her cheeks incredibly cold.

“I-I just bought these.” She suddenly felt a little embarrassed. She doesn’t really like making him worry, but she just went out to buy some ddukbokki and bottles of soju.

He felt like he was dying of heart attack. It was so cold and dangerous for a girl to be outside at this hour. And considering her current situation, one would think she’s crazy enough to go out all by herself.

“At least bring your phone with you,” Gikwang sighed as he pulled her again to him to kiss her cold cheeks.

“The oppas wanted some ddukbokki and drinks. So—“

“Yah, hyung! Did you make Suyeon go out at this hour to buy these?!” Gikwang suddenly yelled directly at the people in the living room. Hyunseung had just stepped out of the shower.

“No, Gikwang, it was okay. I wasn’t doing anything either, so I volunteered to go out.” Suyeon pulled Gikwang back. But he was still furious.

Hyunseung just shrugged as if saying Suyeon had said it all, so why blame them.

“It’s really okay,” Suyeon said quietly. He rubbed his temples and tried remaining calm.

When he finally sighed, Suyeon smiled reassuringly at him, caressed the side of his face before stepping in the kitchen to prepare the snack the other members wanted.

“Hyunseung oppa, Doojoon oppa, Dongwoon-ah,” She called them, and then she made her way inside the room, knocked carefully before twisting it open.

“Junhyung oppa, Yoseob-ah, the food’s ready.” She called them with a bowed head.

 

Suyeon had been staying in Beast’s dorm for almost a month already. Of course she wasn’t entirely welcome, but she really doesn’t have anywhere to go to. Gikwang had insisted to live with him for the meantime, and just like what he had promised, he had told their manager about the situation and luckily, he had allowed Suyeon to live with them, of course, with proper conditions and warnings. When the other members found out, they all have their own concerns.

Doojoon questioned about their security. He didn’t even consider Suyeon’s feelings when he openly asked how could he trust his personal belongings and privacy when every single day, they’d all go out and Suyeon would be the only one left in the dorm. He said he didn’t know Suyeon enough to live with her.

“Hyung, Suyeon is my girlfriend,” Gikwang gritted his teeth. “Are you implying she’s some kind of a thief? For all you guys’ information, we’ve been together for almost 10 years, and she’s not the least interested in anyone’s crap. I can afford to provide her material things, and she, alone can provide those things for herself.”

Junhyung scoffed. “Then why can’t she afford to buy or rent her own place instead of squeezing herself in here?”

“Gikwangie, maybe it’s really not a g---“ Suyeon started in a small voice.

“No.” Gikwang said flatly.

Yoseob then voiced out the awkwardness living under the same roof with a woman.

“Look, we’re all men here. If she’s going to live here, can she stomach all the things we do in the dorm? I mean, she’s a woman. This place is clearly not liveable, at least in women’s standards. We don’t clean, we left things as they are, which can be really be disgusting and dirty. We don’t cook. What I’m saying is, she cannot complain nor expect us, at least me, to adjust for her.” Yoseob said, avoiding his gaze anywhere near Suyeon. “I’m just not willing to change how the way I live for her.”

Hyunseung just said that whatever their opinion about Suyeon living there is obviously invalid anymore. Because Gikwang had it all cleared out with the managers. But once their CEO visits their dorm, which is most unlikely – but no one didn’t bother voicing it out, and find Suyeon there, Hyunseung will not be held responsible. And in any case, he will not share Gikwang’s punishment and will have to face them alone, even if it means kicking him out of the group.

Gikwang firmly stated he’s having full responsibility over Suyeon.

Junhyung didn’t have to say anything. From the dirty looks he’s giving towards the couple’s direction, it’s no brainer that he’s the one who most disapprove of the situation. Mainly because he finds it unfair that one of the member’s girlfriend will be living with them, when his own girlfriend, Goo Hara, is banned to set foot inside their dorm.

“Look, whatever guys. This is just all unfair and bull. Just don’t expect me to treat her nicely, or the least decent. Don’t expect me to care for her at all, just because she’s a girl.” Junhyung pointed his forefinger rudely at Suyeon. Gikwang just greeted his teeth and raised his arm infront of Suyeon protectively.

No one dared telling Junhyung to tone down his rudeness, because he’s clearly pissed as hell. Gikwang knew this as well, but he’s quite sure that Junhyung is not the type to physically hurt people, especially girls.

Dongwoon stated he’s perfectly alright with Suyeon to live there. But he also said he understands all the hyung’s points, and they are all seemed valid. So he just told Gikwang and Suyeon to be extremely careful.

Suyeon gave a small smile towards Dongwoon.

Since then, only Dongwoon is the only member who was at least nice to her. Maybe because he’s the only member who knows and understands Gikwang’s reasons for keeping Suyeon safe in their dorm.

Dongwoon was with Gikwang that day when they found Suyeon, that made Gikwang determined to made her live with him no matter what.

 

Everyone was all settled in bed, ready to hit the sack.

“Wait, don’t close the light yet.” Gikwang said, as Hyunseung’s about to switch off the light.

“Suyeon’s not here yet.” He said. Since she’s a girl, and since almost everyone is opposed to her staying there, they said she should wash up the last, when everyone is already in bed, so she won’t be too embarrassed afterwards.

Junhyung rolled his eyes.

“Hyunseung-ah, turned it off.” Junhyung said. He knows Gikwang has his limitations when it comes to arguing, because at the end of the day, majority of the members are still older than him.

After about 15 minutes, the door slowly opened. Sleep has already dragged Gikwang in; he didn’t even hear Suyeon went in through the dark.

Another thing about Suyeon’s stay in the dorm: Gikwang won’t allow her to sleep in the living room alone. So adding on to the members’ dismay and disapproval, Gikwang insists that he would share his bed with her. Suyeon, of course, started insisting that sleeping in the living room is perfectly fine. But Gikwang won’t take no as an answer. They all know that Gikwang won’t do something inappropriate to her. He’d always been the obedient kid he is; knows what’s wrong and right. But still, the thought that a girl is on one of the member’s bed while they slept is something quite stirring and scandalous for an idol group.

Suyeon carefully made her way towards the lower bunk bed, where Gikwang is. Her eyesight in the dark wasn’t really the best. As she strode towards where she felt Gikwang’s bed, she clumsily hit her knees on the wood as she lifted herself towards the bed. She heard Gikwang grunted in his sleep, which made think she’s right on track.

But as soon as she put her weight on her left hand, a sharp and heavy arm hit the side of her head.

“Yah! Move it!” Junhyung growled at him as he swung his arm at her direction, making her stumble towards the left side, where Gikwang’s supposedly bed is located. She felt dizzy for a few seconds because of Junhyung’s hard blow.

She made the mistake of moving too close at Junhyung’s side, thus earning consequences of it. And before Junhyung could harshly push her more, Gikwang’s protective arms pulled her towards the safe side, his side.

“Yah, hyung. Don’t shout.” He said sleepily, oblivious that Junhyung just hit his girlfriend.

Suyeon tried to drown the lingering dizziness as she was pulled to the other side, away from Junhyung. She was now between the wall and Gikwang, who’s giving her familiar and comforting heat.

She tried pushing the haunting thoughts that made her ran away from her original life. For the meantime, she contented herself and thanked the gods for a safe place to live in, despite most of the resident’s opposition. Giving in to Junhyung’s bullying acts, as well as the occasional disapproving stares and random hurtful words the other members throw her way is nothing compared to the things she had experienced before.

For the meantime, she allowed herself to succumb to the safe and comforting arms Gikwang has wrapped around her. She just couldn’t imagine herself if Gikwang wasn’t there for her.